Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Smoking some roadies!

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Smoking some roadies!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-07, 10:36 AM
carlfreddy
Acquiring new target....

Bikes: Trek XO-1, Gary Fisher Rig

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Allister
No, I get it. Road bike vs recumbent bike races have their place. They at the very least clearly demonstrate the technological advantage of the bike. In the early days of bike racing, building and racing the better technology was very much a part of the competition. The idea that it's purely rider against rider only came about much later, and effectively stagnated the development of bike technology other than in fairly superficial ways. I understand you think that rider vs rider is the ideal, but it's not the only way to see things.
I guess I clearly don't share the same desire to be riding what is considered a cutting-edge bike in terms of technological development.

At this point I'm just splitting hairs. If all those "ZOMG I SMOKED A ROADIE" threads had titles like "HEY, I JUST CONFIRMED THE FACT THAT A 'BENT IS MORE AERODYNAMICALLY EFFICIENT THAN AN UPRIGHT BY SMOKING SOME UNSUSPECTING ROADIES!" I wouldn't really care. It all comes down to semantics for me.

Originally Posted by Allister
Do you also think it's an unfair advantage in the hills to have the lightest bike possible?
I've got no problem with that so long as the bike in question complies with all of the rules set forth by the sanctioning body of the race.
Old 11-30-07, 10:47 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Honestly this has been fun. I'm mildly amused that our visitors from the other forums have got their shammies in a wad over it. But the consensus six months ago was that it wasn't a race and that the roadies in the original video weren't trying to make it one. Neither were *most* of the upright riders in the Hilly Hundred videos, which were not much more than raw footage showing what it's like to be on a lowracer.

One thing I've noticed over the years is that the 'roadie smoking' posts have decreased in direct proportion to the decreased number of "get a real bike" or "dork" comments I hear. Coincidence? Probably not.
Old 11-30-07, 11:14 AM
STEEKER
dam this is fun !

Bikes: Hurricane Low Racer ! and a Masi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I remember see'ing a super fast tandom ahead of me and trying to catch up on a giro20 , ( NOT ) but I would sure like to try again with my hurricane , maybe I won't peuk this time lol ,,note: a few roadies passed me by the side of the road and said nothing while a tri rider slowed down l and asked if I needed help , I laughed and said thanks no worries
Old 11-30-07, 11:48 AM
daytonian
elitist jerk

Bikes: CAAD9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol casually passing 2 roadies on the hoods in a race they don't know about because they're on a recovery ride. bents make me lol..thanks for the thread
Old 11-30-07, 01:57 PM
carlfreddy
Acquiring new target....

Bikes: Trek XO-1, Gary Fisher Rig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
One thing I've noticed over the years is that the 'roadie smoking' posts have decreased in direct proportion to the decreased number of "get a real bike" or "dork" comments I hear. Coincidence? Probably not.
Yeah, some people are rude. As a cyclist, I'd never chastize another cyclist because of their choice of bike. Recumbent or upright, we're all cyclists.
Old 11-30-07, 02:11 PM
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Honestly this has been fun. I'm mildly amused that our visitors from the other forums have got their shammies in a wad over it.
I'm with you on that, BP. Someone took the trouble to post in the road forum so reinforcements could come over and argue with us............... because Greg on a lowracer enjoyed passing some folks. Funny stuff.
Old 11-30-07, 02:38 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Many upright riders seek an advantage by building up a 16# bike with the most aero wheels and parts that they can afford. Bentriders just take it a step further and bust free of the "safety" frame that's been around for over a hundred years. It's funny how a $1,000 set of wheels on an upright isn't cheating but an aerodynamic bent is.
You can put expensive components on a bent. As far as using aerodynamics goes, it's only considered cheating if your equipment gives you the edge.

If you get an aero advantage by riding behind someone else (i.e. you rely on them pedaling hard so that you can move fast), that's called strategy. Remember: ride smart, not hard. Your ability to report a decent cruising speed may depend on it.
Old 11-30-07, 02:42 PM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Bikes: several

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carlfreddy
Yeah, some people are rude. As a cyclist, I'd never chastize another cyclist because of their choice of bike. Recumbent or upright, we're all cyclists.
Totally agree. I would not chastise anyone because of their choice of bike. What they do while they're on that bike, however, is another matter entirely. For example, if they shot video of themselves "smoking" other riders who were not aware of a race going on, I would think that person was pretty dorky, and I might be inclined to say so, whether they were riding a recumbent, upright, or even unicycle (unicyclists are people, too!).
Old 11-30-07, 02:48 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Smoked Roadies?

Sorry, the title of this thread just put a really strange image in my head

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 11-30-07, 02:49 PM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
Smoked Roadies?

Sorry, the title of this thread just put a really strange image in my head

That's way off. Not enough spandex. Also there is not a recumbent sausage in front of them with a video camera.
Old 11-30-07, 02:56 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Originally Posted by 'nother
That's way off. Not enough spandex. Also there is not a recumbent sausage in front of them with a video camera.
Spandex is removed prior to smoking.......synthetics adversely affect the flavour

Old 11-30-07, 04:11 PM
Crash716
i got nothing.

Bikes: 13 BH G6 with SRAM Red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
are you lowracers becoming elitist snobs like the FG/SS crowd...?...kinda what it feels like in here.

you gonna start letting your bike dictate the kind of music you listen to and the people you hang out with soon too huh, or maybe get into an argument about how bikes are about aesthetic beauty and not function...?
Old 11-30-07, 04:43 PM
Tom Stormcrowe

Originally Posted by Crash716
are you lowracers becoming elitist snobs like the FG/SS crowd...?...kinda what it feels like in here.

you gonna start letting your bike dictate the kind of music you listen to and the people you hang out with soon too huh, or maybe get into an argument about how bikes are about aesthetic beauty and not function...?
Crash, I ride a Diamond Frame Road Bike. I am one of those spandex wearing riders. I was just having a bit of fun with the mental picture. We ALL ride, bent, DF, Single Speed, whatever the flavour.

(Now my beloved spouse....a Granola Munching hippie bent rider , but she's a cyclist still )

Old 11-30-07, 06:25 PM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
Spandex is removed prior to smoking.......synthetics adversely affect the flavour
:shrug:

I figured flavor (taste?) wouldn't matter to someone willing to go through the trouble of "smoking" someone, only to get that withered, depilated skin and the tough under-saddle meat.
Old 11-30-07, 06:33 PM
thplmn72

Bikes: Trek 7200,trek t 800,Jamis Quest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just lookkin at that makes my hinny hurt
Old 11-30-07, 06:46 PM
Mooo

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

yeah, pretty much seems that way to me too.
Not all of 'em of course, but enough, unfortunately.
Old 11-30-07, 06:48 PM
NoCom_rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Crash,
This is my "Smoking Roadies" recumbent bike concept. It incorporates splitter technology to go real fast and smoke every single roadie I see on the road and bike path. The #1 advantage of this recumbent speed machine is the integrated carbon porcelain toilet seat. I can go on the fly and keep spinning while I pass thousands of roadies at century races and bike tour races. I can do century races and bike tour races nonstop

My next roadies smoker recumbent concept will have dual video cameras, GPS, umbrella, XM radio with big speakers and flag. I want to race in style while smoking up the roads with my high tech recumbent.

https://bp3.blogger.com/_3vzB3gabkDs/.../Got2GoCom.jpg
Old 11-30-07, 07:43 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by STEEKER
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm hilly one hundred https://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s...stampede-1.flv

The "Hilly Hundred Stampede" lowracer made that little girl in the trail-a-bike cry when he dropped her.

Seriously, I like racing videos. I'd like to see a video of a lowracer taking on a group of racers that actually know about the race, especially if the course had some hills and some cornering, to make it interesting.
Old 11-30-07, 07:58 PM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
The "Hilly Hundred Stampede" lowracer made that little girl in the trail-a-bike cry when he dropped her.

Seriously, I like racing videos. I'd like to see a video of a lowracer taking on a group of racers that actually know about the race, especially if the course had some hills and some cornering, to make it interesting.
Lame, and boring.

Everyone there knew it was a race. What fun is that? No sneak attacks! And only 32 MPH? Wussy.

Old 11-30-07, 08:03 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,619 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by NoCom_rider
Crash,
This is my "Smoking Roadies" recumbent bike concept. It incorporates splitter technology to go real fast and smoke every single roadie I see on the road and bike path. The #1 advantage of this recumbent speed machine is the integrated carbon porcelain toilet seat. I can go on the fly and keep spinning while I pass thousands of roadies at century races and bike tour races. I can do century races and bike tour races nonstop

My next roadies smoker recumbent concept will have dual video cameras, GPS, umbrella, XM radio with big speakers and flag. I want to race in style while smoking up the roads with my high tech recumbent.

Excellent, as usual. I've seen many a time when I could have used that bent.

Old 11-30-07, 08:12 PM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oh!

Big News!!!!

Something for Bentlingers to gloat about for the ages.

A recumbent won several hill climb events. Not just "hilly hundreds", but pure hill climbs, no flats, no downhills.

Check it out: https://lowkey.djconnel.com/2007/overall/

The overall winner won on a 'bent! Isn't that amazing!?!?!

Oh....did I mention he had a 500W electric motor? That is why it says "Hybrid" for his category. That's still cool though, right? I mean, a 'bent beating roadies is never un-cool!?
Old 11-30-07, 08:29 PM
NoCom_rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wonder........

I wonder if the bent racer rode one of these beauties to win those competitive hill climbs. This is the bent ticket for flying up hills when the hunt is on to smoke roadies

https://bp3.blogger.com/_3vzB3gabkDs/...prop+steed.jpg

Originally Posted by 'nother
Oh!

Big News!!!!

Something for Bentlingers to gloat about for the ages.

A recumbent won several hill climb events. Not just "hilly hundreds", but pure hill climbs, no flats, no downhills.

Check it out: https://lowkey.djconnel.com/2007/overall/

The overall winner won on a 'bent! Isn't that amazing!?!?!

Oh....did I mention he had a 500W electric motor? That is why it says "Hybrid" for his category. That's still cool though, right? I mean, a 'bent beating roadies is never un-cool!?
Old 11-30-07, 10:06 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf

Riding like a triathlon, no drafting?
There's no difference between using a bike that has better aroedynamics, and drafting. The big question should be, would the winner of RAAM do better on his upright, or on an aerodynamic ride? Same rider, different bikes. Muscle groups adjusted to both types of ride would tell which one was better.
Old 11-30-07, 10:31 PM
Mooo

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
Riding like a triathlon, no drafting?
There's no difference between using a bike that has better aroedynamics, and drafting. ...
There's a Huge difference.
Drafting introduces all sorts of tactical elements into the equation - when do I take a pull, how long, when do I jump & try to break, etc. How many races have seen loooong breakaways amount to nothing because the two knobs at the front start playing mind games with each other as the peloton closes in? That's what makes it fun to watch!

And beyond that, better aerodynamics and drafting are not mutually exclusive.

It really is a lot like sailboat racing. Hobies are fast, except they don't point well (by contrast AC boats aren't all that fast, but they point obscenely well). But in general, Hobies are fast enough that the tactical games of covering don't have much meaning. It's a different game. A fast guy on a Laser or even a Sunfish is going to know how to optimize his boat and himself to beat the other guys on that kind of boat. It doesn't matter that the Hobie skipper comes in and says "Ha, I smoked a 'fish today."

It doesn't matter because it's irrelevant.
Old 12-01-07, 02:14 AM
Crash716
i got nothing.

Bikes: 13 BH G6 with SRAM Red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NoCom_rider
Crash,

now that's funny.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.