Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New study finds that high cadence cycling offers no benefit to amateurs

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-13-19, 10:29 AM
b0geyman

Bikes: Kestrel RT-1000; Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0212120114.htm

Kind of a disheartening thing for me to read, as something I have been working on in my trainer sessions this offseason is boosting my natural cadence.

Last edited by b0geyman; 02-13-19 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-13-19, 10:46 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 1,122 Times in 482 Posts
I'm shocked, shocked, I say.
Old 02-13-19, 10:50 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by b0geyman
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/02/190212120114.htm

Kind of a disheartening thing for me to read, as something I have been working on in my trainer sessions this offseason is boosting my natural cadence.
It's useless.

What is a "recreational cyclist"?

If a high cadence is useful for "professional" cyclists, it might be useful for people who ride a lot. The study doesn't get anywhere near providing that information.

It shouldn't be surprising that a high cadence isn't useful for "casual" cyclists.
Old 02-13-19, 11:02 AM
JasonD67

Bikes: BMC Teammachine SLR02 Disc, Cannondale CAAD 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
From the article: " Using a group of NINE volunteers,..." (my emphasis). Can't draw much of any conclusion with a study cohort of nine.
Old 02-13-19, 11:03 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Is it the cadence or the intensity affecting their efficiency? Was there a comparison done with high intensity/low cadence?

Personally, I tend to be around 85-90rpm naturally, seems to work.
Old 02-13-19, 11:10 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
It's useless.

What is a "recreational cyclist"?

If a high cadence is useful for "professional" cyclists, it might be useful for people who ride a lot. The study doesn't get anywhere near providing that information.

It shouldn't be surprising that a high cadence isn't useful for "casual" cyclists.
From the actual article
Nine healthy participants (male/female=6/3) were recruited and completed the study. In terms of their activity levels, 2 participants were triathletes at regional level with 3 years’ experience, 6 regularly engaged in moderate and vigorous exercise, and one engaged in very light physical activity only occasionally [12]. The participants’ age ranged from 21 to 55 years.
As far as I can tell there was no adaption or training period applied prior to the testing, so for them, "recreational" means new except for the 2 triathletes.

Not sure how useful the study is since it was done only at low power(125w+/-44). Here is the conclusion the researcher draw
We conclude that increasing cadence beyond a given threshold at moderate exercise intensity close to the Tventis less energetically efficient (as confirmed by the higher V̇O2 and V̇CO2 recorded for a given power output here [Fig. 2]) and that high cadence may compromise skeletal muscle oxygenation during cycling exercise.
Old 02-13-19, 11:17 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts
With little to no power output a high cadence is just energy wasted flailing your legs around.

Nothing new here.
Old 02-13-19, 11:44 AM
bikebreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I bet we (bikeforums) could scare up 20-30 "amateur" riders with power meters and cadence sensors and compare power output vs average cadence
I hypothesize higher cadence is correlated with higher wattage, at decent power levels, say 200+ watts
Old 02-13-19, 11:47 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
No serious study can be done with only nine test subjects. To call this 'science" is to disparage real science.

Was this study done three time with this group and three times each with three other groups? or did some folks put up an ad on campus, only got nine volunteers, and are now making "Scientific Pronouncements" based on their own laziness and lack of perseverance?

Even worse, because the nine test subjects were form so many different classes of athletic activity, there can be no broad conclusions drawn---but these "scientists" did just that. they only tested two triathletes. Based on this, they extend their judgments to all athletes riding bikes? Would a triathlete have the same outcome as a pro cyclist? Would a sprinter have the same result as a climber or a rolleur? obviously not.

As I see it the parameters of his study were so arbitrary, the conclusions are invalid.

Without doing any measured testing, but having ridden all across the nation on every sort of terrain for several decades, I can deliver this nugget of wisdom: "For each cyclist, in each situation, there is a level of pedal pressure and rotation speed which provides the best utilization of the body's energy for locomotion."

Some days my lungs don't work, some days my legs are tired. On a recovery ride I spin faster and press less. This is Not less efficient for a Recovery ride, because using more pressure would do more muscle damage and waste the point of the ride.

Some days I attack hills like a madman knowing I will not make it up without having to slow way down to breathe and slow my heart. Some days I set a pace and motor up at that steady pace. Some days i spin like a crazy person, some days I mash. At different parts of different rides, I will use different pedaling techniques to suit my condition and the prevailing conditions.

The amount of pseudo-science getting published lately really sickens me.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 02-13-19, 11:49 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Welcome to another Bike Forums episode of "Let's second-guess the peer-review process and dismiss any conclusions that are at variance with our own expectation bias."

(Assuming International Journal of Sports Medicine has a peer-review process.)
Old 02-13-19, 12:07 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
It's good to pay attention to new studies as they become available. It's also good to read with a critical eye. And even to follow your own common sense and experience. I bet many riders in here have ammassed more data covering more variety of cadence and intensity then the study considered. I've been riding with power for five years, a lot of you have been doing it much longer.
Old 02-13-19, 12:08 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
With little to no power output a high cadence is just energy wasted flailing your legs around.

Nothing new here.

Actually, they seem to be saying that is not a problem,

"When cycling at low exercise intensity, skeletal muscle oxygenation is mostly unaffected by cadence,
indicating that the cardiopulmonary and circulatory systems can effectively meet the exercising muscles' demand."

but that at higher intensity (wattage?), the study subjects' muscles (surprise!) did not work as well as those of elite athletes.
Old 02-13-19, 12:11 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by bikebreak
I bet we (bikeforums) could scare up 20-30 "amateur" riders with power meters and cadence sensors and compare power output vs average cadence
I hypothesize higher cadence is correlated with higher wattage, at decent power levels, say 200+ watts
​​​​​​My highest power on any given ride is almost always when I'm spinning big gears.
Old 02-13-19, 12:13 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Originally Posted by wgscott
Welcome to another Bike Forums episode of "Let's second-guess the peer-review process and dismiss any conclusions that are at variance with our own expectation bias."

The danger is when a publication publishes a non-peer reviewed "study." The publisher, filling a role, has no interest in anything other than page-filler. The study author, filling his role, (negligently so,) is relying on the reader to "peer-review." The general public then gets the idea that since it was written, then it must be true. When nothing of the sort occured.

Publishers would do well to explicilty state whether a peer-review process had taken place, and the study authors would do well to provide laymen context.

Just saying: "In unfit/unconditioned riders, flailing legs around there isn't an observed benefit to flailing them around faster. This study excludes Fit/trained athletes at high output. This study has yet to be peer reviewed." Would do a lot to sow trust and credibility in the general public.
Old 02-13-19, 12:25 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,783 Times in 3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
No serious study can be done with only nine test subjects. To call this 'science" is to disparage real science.
The sample size for a study should be based on the expected effect size and determined via a formal power analysis. Big effects require small samples. If this study had a power analysis, which isn't clear from the paper, then the findings are statistically valid by definition. If it didn't, we have no way of knowing.

It has an impact factor of 2.4, which puts it in the humble but respectable range for a clinical journal, so it presumably has a legitimate peer review process.
Old 02-13-19, 12:29 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Originally Posted by woodcraft
Actually, they seem to be saying that is not a problem,

"When cycling at low exercise intensity, skeletal muscle oxygenation is mostly unaffected by cadence,
indicating that the cardiopulmonary and circulatory systems can effectively meet the exercising muscles' demand."

but that at higher intensity (wattage?), the study subjects' muscles (surprise!) did not work as well as those of elite athletes.
A rose by any other name. I think we are in general agreement. Cadence & intensity are 2 different things though. The study was done at 120watts intensity. The oxygen use at cadence is what they were studying.

Hypothesis based on my review:
General wasted energy in the athlete (thus an increased oxygen demand in the athlete or more specifically a deficiency in leg muscles) is probably caused by poor form & that's because they are untrained and uncoordinated in their motions. I used the words "flail around," but yeah, they don't do it as good as professionals. Muscle oxygen decreased at 90 rpm. Clearly there is a breaking point where the participants support systems get taxed. To which they concluded there was no benefit in performance in an untrained athlete.

Nothing said about the athletes rate of adaption in subsequent repeats of the activity...interesting & incomplete.

I'd like to see the oxygen use in a well coordinated and fit athlete both under a higher resistance and a low resistance 120 watt load at various cadences.

Last edited by base2; 02-13-19 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-13-19, 12:32 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

So ... your whole pompous post is based on an unexamined assumption? You didn't do the research to back up your claim, while ridiculing others for not accepting research blindly?

Pretty bad science there, mate. (I hope you know I am just joking. i wouldn't know a pompous post if i wrote one ... not that I would.)

Here is what the study's lead claims:

Lead author Dr Federico Formenti from King's College London said: "Pedalling at cadence greater than 90 revolutions per minute is advantageous for professional cyclists, but appears inefficient for recreational cyclists. When cycling at low exercise intensity, skeletal muscle oxygenation is mostly unaffected by cadence, indicating that the cardiopulmonary and circulatory systems can effectively meet the exercising muscles' demand.

"However, at a greater exercise intensity, high cadence reduces recreational cyclists' efficiency and skeletal muscle oxygenation, suggesting a reduced ratio between oxygen being delivered to and taken up by the exercising muscles."

Basically these scientists figured out that people who don't have very well developed vascularity in their thighs perform less well than those who do? Athletes are more athletic than non-athletes? That is worth a headline?

My point is ... calling out a specific number based on such a limited pool of test subjects is arbitrary. As i mentioned, at various times different cadences best suit different cyclists. Attaching a number based on such a limited pool of test results (really only two non-athletes) is not good science.

And frankly ... any of us could have told them what they would find if they had just asked. Athletes are more athletic.

And, more specifically .... pedaling too fast for the given conditions is inefficient, as is pedaling too slowly. part of learning to ride a bike well is learning your body's abilities. By attaching an arbitrary number, these "scientists" can create an impression as false as the one they purport to be disproving: "Recreational cyclists pedal at relatively lower exercise intensity, but often still adopt a high cadence presuming that the smoother blood flow keeps the exercising muscle well oxygenated."

I would even question that assumption. How many "recreational cyclists" did they question? Why didn't those "recreational cyclists" take part in the study to broaden its base? Where did that initial assumption come from anyway?

As for "peer-reviewed": shared prejudice exists in the scientific community as well is in any other. And in this case ... "peer review" if it was done at all, might be no more than having the editorial staff (or the "peer review board," generally just some volunteers) look at whether the data was recorded correctly and interpreted correctly. Is a peer review board going to question the basic assumption that recreational cyclists pedal too rapidly?

In effect, posts here are "peer-reviewed" to a more exacting standard, because our peer group is more narrowly focused.

let me be clear---I do not believe that these people invented their data, nor am I questioning their methodology. I am fairly sure they tested nine people and found a trend of decreasing oxygenation after approximately 90 rpm in some of the subjects under some conditions.

I am questioning whether a sample size of nine, of which two were triathletes and two not athletes at all, can properly represent the general cycling community to such a degree that a specific number---"90 rpm"---can be assigned as the make-or-break point of efficient cycling for "recreational cyclists." Does this study even closely define "recreational cyclist." If not, that itself is a fatal flaw.

This is equivalent, to me, to a scientist observing the moon during a lunar eclipse and then publishing a headline which says that the moon regularly darkens every evening. Not enough data to sustain the claim. But this is science nowadays. To get funding, to get tenure, to get raises, scientists must publish, and no one pays attention to dull conclusions. So we see a lot of overblown headlines which don't really reflect the data.
Old 02-13-19, 12:42 PM
redlude97

So ... your whole pompous post is based on an unexamined assumption? You didn't do the research to back up your claim, while ridiculing others for not accepting research blindly?

Pretty bad science there, mate. (I hope you know I am just joking. i wouldn't know a pompous post if i wrote one ... not that I would.)

Here is what the study's lead claims:

Lead author Dr Federico Formenti from King's College London said: "Pedalling at cadence greater than 90 revolutions per minute is advantageous for professional cyclists, but appears inefficient for recreational cyclists. When cycling at low exercise intensity, skeletal muscle oxygenation is mostly unaffected by cadence, indicating that the cardiopulmonary and circulatory systems can effectively meet the exercising muscles' demand.

"However, at a greater exercise intensity, high cadence reduces recreational cyclists' efficiency and skeletal muscle oxygenation, suggesting a reduced ratio between oxygen being delivered to and taken up by the exercising muscles."

Basically these scientists figured out that people who don't have very well developed vascularity in their thighs perform less well than those who do? Athletes are more athletic than non-athletes? That is worth a headline?

My point is ... calling out a specific number based on such a limited pool of test subjects is arbitrary. As i mentioned, at various times different cadences best suit different cyclists. Attaching a number based on such a limited pool of test results (really only two non-athletes) is not good science.

And frankly ... any of us could have told them what they would find if they had just asked. Athletes are more athletic.

And, more specifically .... pedaling too fast for the given conditions is inefficient, as is pedaling too slowly. part of learning to ride a bike well is learning your body's abilities. By attaching an arbitrary number, these "scientists" can create an impression as false as the one they purport to be disproving: "Recreational cyclists pedal at relatively lower exercise intensity, but often still adopt a high cadence presuming that the smoother blood flow keeps the exercising muscle well oxygenated."

I would even question that assumption. How many "recreational cyclists" did they question? Why didn't those "recreational cyclists" take part in the study to broaden its base? Where did that initial assumption come from anyway?

As for "peer-reviewed": shared prejudice exists in the scientific community as well is in any other. And in this case ... "peer review" if it was done at all, might be no more than having the editorial staff (or the "peer review board," generally just some volunteers) look at whether the data was recorded correctly and interpreted correctly. Is a peer review board going to question the basic assumption that recreational cyclists pedal too rapidly?

In effect, posts here are "peer-reviewed" to a more exacting standard, because our peer group is more narrowly focused.

let me be clear---I do not believe that these people invented their data, nor am I questioning their methodology. I am fairly sure they tested nine people and found a trend of decreasing oxygenation after approximately 90 rpm in some of the subjects under some conditions.

I am questioning whether a sample size of nine, of which two were triathletes and two not athletes at all, can properly represent the general cycling community to such a degree that a specific number---"90 rpm"---can be assigned as the make-or-break point of efficient cycling for "recreational cyclists." Does this study even closely define "recreational cyclist." If not, that itself is a fatal flaw.

This is equivalent, to me, to a scientist observing the moon during a lunar eclipse and then publishing a headline which says that the moon regularly darkens every evening. Not enough data to sustain the claim. But this is science nowadays. To get funding, to get tenure, to get raises, scientists must publish, and no one pays attention to dull conclusions. So we see a lot of overblown headlines which don't really reflect the data.
Did you read the actual study or only the article?
Old 02-13-19, 12:53 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Anyone that has done a reasonable amount of riding will know more about what cadence works for them.
Just go for a fast group ride and your body will tell you what cadence it wants to pedal at to give you the best chance of hanging on.
Amazing what these "scientists" will study/publish. Especially when it has been done so many times and better already.
Old 02-13-19, 12:59 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by base2
A rose by any other name. I think we are in general agreement. Cadence & intensity are 2 different things though. The study was done at 120watts intensity. The oxygen use at cadence is what they were studying.

Hypothesis based on my review:
General wasted energy in the athlete (thus an increased oxygen demand in the athlete or more specifically a deficiency in leg muscles) is probably caused by poor form & that's because they are untrained and uncoordinated in their motions. I used the words "flail around," but yeah, they don't do it as good as professionals. Muscle oxygen decreased at 90 rpm. Clearly there is a breaking point where the participants support systems get taxed. To which they concluded there was no benefit in performance in an untrained athlete.

Nothing said about the athletes rate of adaption in subsequent repeats of the activity...interesting & incomplete.

I'd like to see the oxygen use in a well coordinated and fit athlete both under a higher resistance and a low resistance 120 watt load at various cadences.
Keep in mind the reason power meters work so well for calories is that the variation between cyclists in efficiency is really small.
Old 02-13-19, 01:01 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by redlude97
Did you read the actual study or only the article?
Did you read the entire study? if so, tell me precisely what information you found there which contravenes any point I raised.
Old 02-13-19, 01:06 PM
redlude97

Did you read the entire study? if so, tell me precisely what information you found there which contravenes any point I raised.
Yes, and I'm not sure how you came to this conclusion
Old 02-13-19, 01:18 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by redlude97
Yes, and I'm not sure how you came to this conclusion

Old 02-13-19, 01:31 PM
redlude97

Those are two separate statements The study didn't compare to professionals, and didn't look at "performance" as it was scaled to threshold and held constant across cadences. Efficiency and performance are related but not the same thing.
Old 02-13-19, 01:37 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Keep in mind the reason power meters work so well for calories is that the variation between cyclists in efficiency is really small.
You are right. An untrained cyclist burns more calories in an activity though because of wasted motion that has little to no effect propelling the vehicle. Force x distance = work remains true for calories actually expended moving the vehicle some distance. For that, a powermeter is indispensible. It's the economy of motion that a trained cyclist has refined for higher efficiency. This is why a powermeter & a heart rate moniter in isolation only give estimates, but together yield a much more accurate picture of the demand actually being placed. An athletes efficiency or lack of it in a given task will be shown by the oxygen use &/or distribution within the athletes body. I miss the days Strava said I burned a thousand calories an hour.

Speaking of peer-review...This thread is doing a pretty good job of tearing this study apart!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.