Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Jamis Renegade owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-18, 05:17 PM
Danny01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigredgrad01
I got the Ultegra RX on there today, and it's perfect, resolved my one outstanding issue with 11-40, which was cassette inertia chain bounce when stopping pedaling. I also dialed in the B-screw a little bit and took off 2 links of chain to tension it in small small, there is still a little bit of slack in big-big. I am fairly sure you can do 11-42 as well with uncut chain, based on how much adjustment is still available on B-screw, but I haven't tried it myself, since 11-40 meets my needs. I would probably go to subcompact double before going any bigger on the cassette. XT RD + Tanpan seems like a fine set up, but ultimately you are introducing an extra adapter and I think Ultegra RX obsoletes it for new builds with road brifters, unless you want to go 1x with bigger than 42 teeth in the back, or already have an DynaSys11 RD sitting around.
Introducing an adapter into the chain isn't a problem with the Tanpan. From my experience it does not degrade the shifting. The SGS dereailleurs have a max capacity that is 8 teeth greater. With a front double and 11-40 you are already exceeding the max capacity of the RX by 6T. Yeah, Shimano is conservative with their capacity ratings, but it is true that an SGS will be more capable in taking up chain slack. Another advantage when using an MTB Rd with a wide range is that the upper jockey wheel moves much closer to the sprockets in the smaller sized cogs compared to a road RD. This extra distance make for sloppier shifts, and sometimes won't shift at all unless you overshift. It's a common problem when using Roadlink+road RD with a wide range cassette. The sloppiness resulting from this increased distance is greater than any(if any) sloppiness resulting from adding a Tanpan. If one is going to buy a new RD anyway and total range in the setup exceeds 39T, there is no reason to go RX over an MTB RD other than a few grams.
Old 12-28-18, 07:53 PM
bigredgrad01

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Danny01
Introducing an adapter into the chain isn't a problem with the Tanpan. From my experience it does not degrade the shifting. The SGS dereailleurs have a max capacity that is 8 teeth greater. With a front double and 11-40 you are already exceeding the max capacity of the RX by 6T. Yeah, Shimano is conservative with their capacity ratings, but it is true that an SGS will be more capable in taking up chain slack. Another advantage when using an MTB Rd with a wide range is that the upper jockey wheel moves much closer to the sprockets in the smaller sized cogs compared to a road RD. This extra distance make for sloppier shifts, and sometimes won't shift at all unless you overshift. It's a common problem when using Roadlink+road RD with a wide range cassette. The sloppiness resulting from this increased distance is greater than any(if any) sloppiness resulting from adding a Tanpan. If one is going to buy a new RD anyway and total range in the setup exceeds 39T, there is no reason to go RX over an MTB RD other than a few grams.
I don't disagree with the sweep of the curve and capacity argument, in theory.
In practice, I am having perfect shifts with Ultegra RX and real capacity is more like 47 teeth.
Old 12-29-18, 09:42 PM
HLW

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2017 Renegade Expat 'HTFU' conversion

I posted my 650b conversion on the thread awhile back, but recently converted back to 700c for commuting/wet weather riding. I miss the larger volume of the 650's but the narrower tire is a lot faster on the paved routes I'm riding these days. I also have to say I was wrong about the handling being overly stable with a 700c wheelset in my first post. At the time my handlebar was too wide, stem too short and bar too high. A more aggressive roadie setup has made a huge improvement. I'm jealous all you guys in the thread with the 2018 Exploit. The silver/grey frame looks awesome.

My Escapade on an escapade.
I noticed you're also running a set of Handsome Mud Butlers. I'm still getting a lot of spray around the bottom bracket and was wondering what you made your flap out of. Is it just a piece of rubber mat or did you adapt a flap made for another brand?
Old 12-30-18, 12:41 AM
bigredgrad01

Originally Posted by HLW
I posted my 650b conversion on the thread awhile back, but recently converted back to 700c for commuting/wet weather riding. I miss the larger volume of the 650's but the narrower tire is a lot faster on the paved routes I'm riding these days. I also have to say I was wrong about the handling being overly stable with a 700c wheelset in my first post. At the time my handlebar was too wide, stem too short and bar too high. A more aggressive roadie setup has made a huge improvement. I'm jealous all you guys in the thread with the 2018 Exploit. The silver/grey frame looks awesome.

I noticed you're also running a set of Handsome Mud Butlers. I'm still getting a lot of spray around the bottom bracket and was wondering what you made your flap out of. Is it just a piece of rubber mat or did you adapt a flap made for another brand?
Yep, got those charcoal mud butlers, I got them since they are a great match for charcoal 2018 Escapade. The mud flap a piece of flexible leather patterned plastic sheet which used to be at the bottom of an old duffel bag, clamped by the stanction under the bolts.

It does an admirable job keeping things clean even in the worst conditions.
BTW, I recommend moving the front fender hanger to the front of the fork to reduce the overhang behind the front wheel, since you are liable to hit it riding off a curb or step. Let flexible mudflap take care of the coverage there.

Last edited by bigredgrad01; 12-30-18 at 12:48 AM.
Old 01-10-19, 09:38 PM
lennskii

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice collection. What kind of tool keg is that? Any issues with hydraulic brake hose coming out underneath the bottom bottle cage?
It's a Fabric tool keg. I had to use a Wolf Tooth B-RAD 2 to position it correctly as it contacted the chain ring (you can also use the Topeak Alt-Position adapter too) due to the narrow steel tubes. Wouldn't be a problem on the carbon models.

No issues with the hose. As an added bit of protection I zip tied a thin piece of foam around the hose that exits the frame (had some lying around to prevent rattle from internal cable routing) to protect it from rub.
Old 01-11-19, 04:15 PM
bigredgrad01

Originally Posted by lennskii
It's a Fabric tool keg. I had to use a Wolf Tooth B-RAD 2 to position it correctly as it contacted the chain ring (you can also use the Topeak Alt-Position adapter too) due to the narrow steel tubes. Wouldn't be a problem on the carbon models.

No issues with the hose. As an added bit of protection I zip tied a thin piece of foam around the hose that exits the frame (had some lying around to prevent rattle from internal cable routing) to protect it from rub.
Cool, I ended up going with a metal bottle cage and bending it a little bit to clear the chainring, and Elite tool bottle, which is OK, though would be better with a wider opening. Overall, happy with it down there instead of under the seat.
Old 01-16-19, 06:33 PM
lennskii

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cool, I ended up going with a metal bottle cage and bending it a little bit to clear the chainring, and Elite tool bottle, which is OK, though would be better with a wider opening. Overall, happy with it down there instead of under the seat.
Yeah, it made sense to utilize that mount for tools. Makes it a lot easier to throw on a saddle bag for weekend adventures without having to reorganize.
Old 02-08-19, 10:17 PM
Angrybk

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I recently bought a NOS 2016 Expat for an even $1k as a replacement for my beloved Cross-Check (got stolen, of course), and I'm really enjoying it so far. My riding is mostly 6-mile commutes on rough pavement, occasional 20+ mile rides, etc., and it seems like a pretty ideal match. It's also literally a couple decades more advanced than my old CC (carbon fork! brifters! disc brakes!) for roughly the same price, and has much more comfortable geometry (the CC is basically a '90s CX bike). Only downsides are the 2016 model has no mounts on the front except for fenders, and the frame overall isn't quite as nice as the CC's -- the welds just don't seem quite as clean.

I also test-rode one of the 631 models and one of the aluminum models. The 631 actually felt a lot lighter/smoother, but a $2k bike is overkill for my purposes. I was actually quite impressed by the aluminum-framed one -- it rode fine and seems pretty appealing in comparison to a lower-end Diverge or something.
Old 02-13-19, 10:36 PM
lennskii

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Carbon Renegade owners - it's rated for a 40mm max tyre clearance. What's the biggest tyre you could fit in the back? I imagine the front is 42mm (or even a 45mm) as it's the same fork as those found on the steel models.
Old 02-14-19, 08:06 AM
sweetspot

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by lennskii
Carbon Renegade owners - it's rated for a 40mm max tyre clearance. What's the biggest tyre you could fit in the back? I imagine the front is 42mm (or even a 45mm) as it's the same fork as those found on the steel models.
45 mm easily in the front. Maybe even 50c. More issue than tire clearance will be toe overlap because of renegade geometry. In the back 43mm panaracer gravel king is a tight fit with old 105 front derailleur. Change to new shimano 7005 or 1x ring and you will fit 45 mm. More will not work.

Last edited by sweetspot; 02-14-19 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-18-19, 07:38 AM
valve_timing

Bikes: 2018 Breezer Doppler Pro , 1989 Centurion Ironman Master

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by sweetspot
45 mm easily in the front. Maybe even 50c. More issue than tire clearance will be toe overlap because of renegade geometry. In the back 43mm panaracer gravel king is a tight fit with old 105 front derailleur. Change to new shimano 7005 or 1x ring and you will fit 45 mm. More will not work.
got pics with 45 in rear ?
Old 02-19-19, 11:13 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by sweetspot
Originally Posted by valve_timing
got pics with 45 in rear ?
43mm is as big as would put in the rear. While technically a 45mm would probably fit it will be very tight and leave no room for error. The extra 1mm on each side isn't worth it in my opinion.
Old 02-19-19, 11:22 AM
valve_timing

yeah i found a guy on instagram that had 43 gk sks on his renegade expat
Old 02-20-19, 08:26 PM
valve_timing

Can you run fenders and 40mm tires

Last edited by valve_timing; 02-20-19 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-30-19, 05:26 PM
holdfast5183

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tire clearance pics and specs....

I looked for quite a while and didn't find a lot of info on tire clearance for the Renegade Expat frame so I thought I would share; I had been riding Zipp Course 30s with WTB Nano 700x40 tires for about a year, first 6 months on a Fuji Cross 1.5 frameset and then 6 months on the Jamis Renegade. The Nano rolls great, fits with plenty of clearance on the Jamis, but after a 50+ mile gravel race in November I wanted something wider, and a slightly sturdier wheel. New wheels are WTB CX Team rims, 19mm internal width, on Hope Pro 4 hubs with WTB Riddler 700x45 tires. On the WTB rims, the 700x40 Nano measured out to 42mm with an extremely flat profile. The Riddler only measured out to 43mm on a 19mm internal width rim, but with a much more naturally rounded profile. I've only had a short ride on the Riddler, but it feels more supple than the Nano. Hoping to have a 650b Hunt wheelset soon to try a pair of Continental Race Kings on. Hope this is helpful to someone.
Old 03-30-19, 07:00 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by valve_timing
Can you run fenders and 40mm tires
More than likely.
Old 03-31-19, 04:53 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Yep, got those charcoal mud butlers, I got them since they are a great match for charcoal 2018 Escapade. The mud flap a piece of flexible leather patterned plastic sheet which used to be at the bottom of an old duffel bag, clamped by the stanction under the bolts.

It does an admirable job keeping things clean even in the worst conditions.
BTW, I recommend moving the front fender hanger to the front of the fork to reduce the overhang behind the front wheel, since you are liable to hit it riding off a curb or step. Let flexible mudflap take care of the coverage there.
Nice bike. I love the SLK Crank! Any reason you put the pump on top instead of under the top yube? That little protrusion at the back of the sterrer tube below the top tube is a pump peg that is intended to fit in the little dimple in the top of the punp handle to retain it.
Old 03-31-19, 04:56 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by HLW

Nice bike. I love the SLK Crank! Any reason you put the pump on top instead of under the top yube? That little protrusion at the back of the sterrer tube below the top tube is a pump peg that is intended to fit in the little dimple in the top of the punp handle to retain it.
Old 04-10-19, 01:10 PM
Nobody12

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the opportunity to buy a 2017 expat still at a shop. Anything I should know about the difference between that and the latest version?
Old 04-12-19, 01:52 AM
lennskii

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm tempted to grab a Jamis Renegade Expert/Elite - but want a minimum of 42mm tire clearance in the rear. Does anyone have a photo of a 42mm (or bigger) tire in the rear of their carbon Renegade? Just want to make sure it has enough clearance for a bit of dirt at least (pretty dry here, and can add protection tape to prevent the odd bit of abrasion etc).
Old 04-13-19, 05:20 AM
MichaPau

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Jamis Renegade owners!

Could anyone confirm that the picture on the official Jamis site for the Expat model is a 54 frame (or even smaller).
It should be estimable when looking at the Head Tube length for someone who has one of this size.

[can't add the image here because I just subscribed here]

I'm asking this because I can't decide between the 56 and 58 frame size.
So I try to scale to fit and overlay the images in a graphic program to get a feeling about the frame in comparison with my actual bike.
(overlaying the semi-transparent images to see the difference in the geometry)

When I do this with the image from the jamis site it seems to small to fit me. (which is normal when it is a 54 frame).
I've tried to search for other undistorted side-view images and found one claiming to be a 58 frame size which than seems to big for me.

I don't have the real measurements of my actual bike, it's a very old road bike and I am a bit scared that I don't do it right when measuring it with a tape.
I'm 180cm (5'11') with an inseam of 84cm (33''). I guess both the 56 and the 58 should fit my size.

But thing is, ideally, my new bike should have just a little bit more reach than my actual bike has.(seems to be around 370mm - but again I am not totally sure where to measure exactly - the stem is shaped completely different etc.)

Thanks if anyone can recognize the frame size of the image on the jamis web page.

Last edited by MichaPau; 04-13-19 at 10:52 AM. Reason: type, try to add an image
Old 04-13-19, 12:54 PM
Earlk15

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey everyone,

I’m new to the forum and biking in general. I just picked up a 2018 renegade explore. I wanted an expat but no one had my size and Jamis couldn’t even give an eta.

I’ve been riding some easy single track along with gravel and I’m ready to get some tires that are more appropriate. I’m looking at the wtb resolutes in 42mm, can anyone confirm these will fit? Is there anything else I should consider? These will primarily be for light single track and packed/loose gravel.

I also want to get a second set of wheels. One set for gravel/single track and one set for commuting. I’ll probably just use the stock tires for commuting until they wear out. So what would be a good cheap set of wheels as a second pair?

And would it make more sense to use the stock wheels for gravel/single track with the wtb resolutes or commuting with the stock tires?

Last edited by Earlk15; 04-13-19 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-13-19, 06:45 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by Earlk15
Hey everyone,

I’m new to the forum and biking in general. I just picked up a 2018 renegade explore. I wanted an expat but no one had my size and Jamis couldn’t even give an eta.

I’ve been riding some easy single track along with gravel and I’m ready to get some tires that are more appropriate. I’m looking at the wtb resolutes in 42mm, can anyone confirm these will fit? Is there anything else I should consider? These will primarily be for light single track and packed/loose gravel.

I also want to get a second set of wheels. One set for gravel/single track and one set for commuting. I’ll probably just use the stock tires for commuting until they wear out. So what would be a good cheap set of wheels as a second pair?

And would it make more sense to use the stock wheels for gravel/single track with the wtb resolutes or commuting with the stock tires?
The 42s will fit. I'd get a nice set of wheels and use them for your recreational riding and use the stock setup for commuting.
Old 04-15-19, 01:20 AM
lennskii

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You're smack bang in the middle of a size 56. The Renegades are a decently long bike (same reach as say, Jamis' race bike Xenith).

FYI - I like a relatively aggressive race position, and I'm 184cm, 32" inseam with a slightly longer torso than legs.
Old 04-15-19, 01:27 AM
lennskii

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's what I did pretty much.

The Resolutes are a rad tyre - I find they actually roll real fast because of the tight 1-2-1 knobs down the middle (which is very similar to the Compass Steilacoom wet weather tyre). I use this for lots of singletrack and gravel rides that have some decent chunk. The 42mms fit in my Escapade with a few mm clearance to the frame (so no issues for the alloy frame).

I would recommend some chainstay protection if you're going to ride on singletrack. That Claris derailleur doesn't have the strongest tension spring.

Wheels wise, I would recommend the Hope 20 Five wheels for your 'nicer' set. Hope RS4 Hubs, 32 Spokes, Brass nipples, 20mm wide internal (a couple mm wide would be ideal, but was cheaper than going custom). You can get them from Merlin for $420 USD thereabouts. Good thing is that they come as QR standard, with 12mm thru adaptors for the F and R (you just need the front for your Explore).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.