Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Unknown vintage pedals

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Unknown vintage pedals

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-22, 04:28 AM
Numenor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Unknown vintage pedals

I took these pedals from Frejus Tour de France from 1951'/52'. They have Balila clipsers on them.
I can not identify them, so please if anyone know something about them please share that with me
​​​me.

Old 03-09-22, 04:41 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by Numenor
I took these pedals from Frejus Tour de France from 1951'/52'. They have Balila clipsers on them.
I can not identify them, so please if anyone know something about them please share that with me
​​​me.

Pretty sure its not but that cap stamp almost kinda looks like old school CZ motorcycle marking.
Likes For merziac:
Old 03-09-22, 06:33 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I concur. It is the logo for the Czech motorcycle company Ceska zbrojovka. The company was originally a firearms manufacturer, then diversified into bicycles circa 1930, before getting into the motorcycle business for which they are best known. It's a fairly common business progression, with BSA and Miyata being two notable companies that followed the same path.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 03-09-22, 06:48 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
​​​
Aside from the plating on the spindle and a different shape to the cap, they are dead ringers for the pedals in Velobase listed as "Sheffield Sprint", and another set as "Bianchi".

Last edited by oneclick; 03-09-22 at 06:56 AM.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 03-09-22, 07:17 AM
Numenor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
Aside from the plating on the spindle and a different shape to the cap, they are dead ringers for the pedals in Velobase listed as "Sheffield Sprint", and another set as "Bianchi".
Definitely these models are same sa mine, except different cup. Bianchi have brand name on spindle.
So I guess that both Sheffield and Bianchi used pedals from same manufacturer, with adding their name on them. And other fact is that they were produced somewhere 1940'-60'.
That also fit in with my Frejus from 51'/52'.
But Czech company cups?
Bike was equiped with Czechs Favorit brakes and derailleurs too, so I thought that it was not OEM.

But, could it be??
Old 03-09-22, 08:32 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
In 1929 the growth of the Czech Armament Works reached a turning point. With the downturn in weapons sales after World War I, the company acquired a bicycle parts manufacturing plant in Kralupy nad Vltavou on the Vltava River.[1] Bicycle exports destined for several countries in Europe, Asia, Africa and South America started to expand.[1] Production of motor-driven bicycles started in 1932.[1] Three years later the first motorcycles made in Strakonice entered the market.[1] T

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%8C...jovka_firearms

Last edited by dedhed; 03-09-22 at 08:39 AM.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 03-09-22, 09:01 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 542 Posts
I’m whizzing in the wind but I’m wondering if the pedals are Sheffield with CZ caps. Post war Italy had very tight controls on imports so bikes from this era were usually 100% Italian. Alternately, they could be replacements.

juvela may have some insights
Old 03-09-22, 01:26 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3807 Post(s)
Liked 3,331 Times in 2,173 Posts
Definitely these models are same sa mine, except different cup. Bianchi have brand name on spindle.
So I guess that both Sheffield and Bianchi used pedals from same manufacturer, with adding their name on them. And other fact is that they were produced somewhere 1940'-60'.
That also fit in with my Frejus from 51'/52'.
But Czech company cups?
Bike was equiped with Czechs Favorit brakes and derailleurs too, so I thought that it was not OEM.

But, could it be??
-----

once took in a Favorit steel pillar w/integral clamp and companion Favorit pro saddle with the orange disc in the nose from a customer (replica of Brooks Pro)

he stated that they had come on his Legnano, as found/purchased

this made me wonder if Bozzi had used some Favorit fittings at some point in the past

the person to inquire to here would be Mark [@condorino] of the condorino.com website

if ever Bozzi made use of Czech fittings for some models he would know...

-----