Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help me diagnose a Shimano drivetrain noise

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Help me diagnose a Shimano drivetrain noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-22, 06:43 PM
Dreww10

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Photos as requested.

Last edited by Dreww10; 06-06-22 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-06-22, 09:57 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
I HATE it when people turn their bikes upside down...for any reason.
Old 06-07-22, 08:44 AM
Dreww10

Originally Posted by cxwrench
I HATE it when people turn their bikes upside down...for any reason.
Sorry to disappoint. Do you have any advice to add regarding the noise?
Old 06-07-22, 10:20 AM
Tawraste666

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
That bike of yours looks lovely and shiny!

If you can manage it, I think a video would really help.
Old 06-07-22, 10:30 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26388 Post(s)
Liked 10,365 Times in 7,197 Posts
...have you tried a new replacement cassette yet ? Any noise problem is usually addressed in a series of steps, with the easiest and cheapest ones done first.
Then you proceed along the most likely avenues. Three of us have suggested this to you as the next step. The rest is up to you.
Old 06-07-22, 10:46 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 343 Posts
When I put off waxing my chains longer than I should I get that same noise, especially on my Fuji with newer 105 drive train and especially in the 52/11 cruising. Sounds like grinding gravel and the shifting isn't optimum. It gets so loud I can hear it over my earbuds and feel it through my feet. I'll wax the chain and everything is right again. From your posts though I get the impression you do regular maintenance so that probably isn't the problem. Good luck
Old 06-07-22, 10:00 PM
Dreww10

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...have you tried a new replacement cassette yet ? Any noise problem is usually addressed in a series of steps, with the easiest and cheapest ones done first.
Then you proceed along the most likely avenues. Three of us have suggested this to you as the next step. The rest is up to you.
A new Ultegra cassette is around $110 now. It is not even in the top 5 cheapest things I could try here, if we're being totally honest.

Last edited by Dreww10; 06-07-22 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-07-22, 10:09 PM
Dreww10

Originally Posted by SpedFast
When I put off waxing my chains longer than I should I get that same noise, especially on my Fuji with newer 105 drive train and especially in the 52/11 cruising. Sounds like grinding gravel and the shifting isn't optimum. It gets so loud I can hear it over my earbuds and feel it through my feet. I'll wax the chain and everything is right again. From your posts though I get the impression you do regular maintenance so that probably isn't the problem. Good luck
Funny you say that. For years, I've been using a big bottle of Finish Line gold ceramic lube, which was relatively quiet and smooth to shift, but impossibly messy. I'd clean everything, apply the lube, and a mile down the road on the first ride the chain and cassette would be sludged over black. I actually have transitioned to Rock N Roll lube of late, and it did get louder using it (I need to find something else), but the lube is not the source of the noise alone.
Likes For Dreww10:
Old 06-07-22, 10:16 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Dreww10
A new Ultegra cassette is around $110 now. It is not even in the top 5 cheapest things I could try here, if we're being totally honest.
...if we're going to get all honest, Ultegra level cassettes are way overpriced. Maybe you need to go on Amazon and shop around ? I can buy an 11 speed SRAM 11-32 for sixty bucks. I can get one even cheaper if I go with something like Sunrace. But hey, good luck with your repair.
Old 06-07-22, 11:37 PM
Dreww10

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...if we're going to get all honest, Ultegra level cassettes are way overpriced. Maybe you need to go on Amazon and shop around ? I can buy an 11 speed SRAM 11-32 for sixty bucks. I can get one even cheaper if I go with something like Sunrace. But hey, good luck with your repair.
$116 for an 11-30 on Amazon. 11-30 is actually tough to find period right now. When I last bought a cassette, about mid-2020, I think it was around $65-70. Everything's up but our income...
Old 06-08-22, 12:11 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

$116 for an 11-30 on Amazon. 11-30 is actually tough to find period right now. When I last bought a cassette, about mid-2020, I think it was around $65-70. Everything's up but our income...
...will a Sunrace 11 cog cassette really not work in your setup ? I've always found them to be Shimano compatible in every application I've tried one in, but admittedly I'm not a big fan of more speeds are better. So I don't run anything with 11 in the back. I forget the Shimano recommended changeout intervals, but isn't it something like every other chain swap ? And isn't 7 or 8,000 miles about average life expectancy for one of their cogsets ?
Old 06-08-22, 02:12 AM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
I’ve said this previously, but do you know anyone who can do a couple minute wheel swap or cassette swap with you?
Just don’t shift into the highest gear in case the sir limit position is different (so that you don’t dump the chain into their DS spokes).
Old 04-14-24, 02:51 AM
philliparmson

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same issue

Did you ever get to the bottom of this issue, I seem to be having the same problem. All new running gear setup by a Lbs and still makes a noise in certain gears?!

Been racking my brain trying to figure out a constant and very annoying drivetrain noise on a bike with a brand new Ultegra R8050 RD. 52/36 crankset, 11-30 cassette, HG701 chain with quick link.

The noise occurs in about half of the cogs, but for the most part, not in any two consecutive cogs (meaning it's loud in one, shift over one it gets quieter, then the next over from that gets loud again, and so on).

It has changed a little over a few weeks of tweaking, but is mostly the loudest in the center 4-5 cogs, where there is the least cross-chaining and it should be quietest. It is much louder in the big front chainring. It's a constant grind/rattle, and doesn't sound like a misadjusted RD where the chain plates are clicking and catching the next cog, but rather, sounds like a chain going though the cage and/or cassette at an unhappy angle, the chain slipping on the cassette, or bent cassette teeth. There is also noticeable drag on the drivetrain in almost all gears, but for sure moreso in those that are loud. For some context, it's 2-3x louder in the 14T-21T range in the center than it is in the usually very loud 52/30 cross-chain position. It's also not super happy noise-wise at 52/11.

Few points:

- The cassette is properly torqued

- The hanger and the RD are both tightened; jockey wheels are also tight (have not touched from Shimano)

- Chain is installed in the correct orientation, and is correct length

- The hanger, from all appearances, is straight - plus it's not loud in every gear like a bent hanger ought to cause (hanger is low mile, has never been bumped, crashed, anything)

- Cassette has maybe 7-8k miles, and shows no signs of sharp teeth, shark teeth, or unusual wear

- No obvious signs of any bent teeth on cassette

- Chain does not yet have 0.5 on wear (I also tried a brand new HG701 chain on it and it got somewhat louder)

- I have done micro adjustments across the entire range in the loudest gears, while pedaling, and it never gets any quieter

- I have played with the H/L limit screws to dial them in just right, but that has made no difference

- B limit is at recommended position in relation to the big cog...not sure if B limit can have any effect on potential noise

- The rear shifting is not buttery smooth in any gear, especially going from up from small to bigger, but the noise is my priority in resolving

- Turning the cranks by hand in the workstand, there appears to be a little more visual "vibration" in the chain as it goes around than normal

Any ideas? If I can't sort it out, my first step would be a new hanger and then a cassette.