Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How learning works (or doesn't)

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How learning works (or doesn't)

Old 02-25-23, 03:17 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,981 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
At least I don't get warnings from the Mods for insulting people and calling people all kinds of names. Your lack of tolerance for anybody who doesn't use the newest high tech is well known and it seems that anybody who doesn't use the latest tech is a luddite and backwards. Using older simpler bike technology doesn't mean that the person is wrong or close minded to learning new things. Look at your first post in this thread, you use a word dick to describe anybody who doesn't agree with you.. Not very educational.
It's actually a lack of tolerance for those who snark at new tech that they are not even interested in. I see it all the time around here. I have no issues whatsoever with classic bikes and cars etc. I don't go into the C&V sub-forum and start calling people luddites.
Old 02-25-23, 03:20 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,319 Times in 672 Posts
For most of these threads that go off the rails the common theme is there is a irrational group of participants who cannot accept that the cycling has moved on from the 70’s. Even though it was one of the most stagnant periods in the sport technology wise a majority of forum participants imprinted on this times myths and its halo products. Skinny high pressure tubulars, Campagnolo Record Components and the silliest of all, factory made frame sets being pawned of as handmade pieces of foreign art. Debating logic with this group which treat there opinions more like a religion quickly deteriorates into a feces slinging episode. Disc brakes, carbon frame sets, wide supple tubeless tires, electronic shifting all sends these Luddites off the deep end.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 02-25-23 at 07:13 PM.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 02-25-23, 03:32 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Needs more rules:

8. Just because something is old, doesn't mean that it is no good. For example: tubular tires - due to the inherently superior rim profile, tubular rim/tire combos are lighter, stronger and safer than all clincher derivatives, tubeless or otherwise. Clinchers may be adequate for casual cycling due to cost and convenience, but are not competitive at the elite level, in any cycling discipline: 'cross, road, mtb and track.

9. Just because something is new, doesn't mean that it is bad. Electronic shifting, brifters, carbon anything.

10. Just because something is new, doesn't mean that is good. Example: disc brakes on performance bikes. I know - yada yada yada, discs are better when riding a bike loaded down with camping gear while riding down steep hills in the rain with frozen hands, but for performance road riding, they are just an impediment inappropriately borrowed from the MTB world for newb road cyclists that don't know any better. They are heavy, fussy and unnecessary.

11. If you are in the bike industry, and are forced to sell (new) stuff doesn't mean you have to believe the BS. Keep your sales pitch separate from your real thoughts. Keep reminding yourself of reality to prevent the sales pitch from taking over.

12. If you've just spent a ton of money on a new road bike with discs, tubeless, a dropper post and sloping top tube, and then have subsequently realized that it is a heavy sluggish downgrade from your previous road bike, don't sell yourself and especially others on your mistake. Show some intellectual dignity, cut your losses and move on.
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 02-25-23, 03:41 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Originally Posted by PeteHski
It's actually a lack of tolerance for those who snark at new tech that they are not even interested in. I see it all the time around here. I have no issues whatsoever with classic bikes and cars etc. I don't go into the C&V sub-forum and start calling people luddites.
Exactly, it would be like going onto a forum for Beanie Baby collectors and mocking those who get excited about finding a rare 1st series Lady Bug. The hobby of collecting is a passion on its own and can’t be rationalized.
Old 02-25-23, 03:52 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Needs more rules:

8. Just because something is old, doesn't mean that it is no good. For example: tubular tires - due to the inherently superior rim profile, tubular rim/tire combos are lighter, stronger and safer than all clincher derivatives, tubeless or otherwise. Clinchers may be adequate for casual cycling due to cost and convenience, but are not competitive at the elite level, in any cycling discipline: 'cross, road, mtb and track.

9. Just because something is new, doesn't mean that it is bad. Electronic shifting, brifters, carbon anything.

10. Just because something is new, doesn't mean that is good. Example: disc brakes on performance bikes. I know - yada yada yada, discs are better when riding a bike loaded down with camping gear while riding down steep hills in the rain with frozen hands, but for performance road riding, they are just an impediment inappropriately borrowed from the MTB world for newb road cyclists that don't know any better. They are heavy, fussy and unnecessary.

11. If you are in the bike industry, and are forced to sell (new) stuff doesn't mean you have to believe the BS. Keep your sales pitch separate from your real thoughts. Keep reminding yourself of reality to prevent the sales pitch from taking over.

12. If you've just spent a ton of money on a new road bike with discs, tubeless, a dropper post and sloping top tube, and then have subsequently realized that it is a heavy sluggish downgrade from your previous road bike, don't sell yourself and especially others on your mistake. Show some intellectual dignity, cut your losses and move on.
Thank you for proving my point. I have old bikes and I have new bikes. I like riding and discussing my new bikes much more than my old bikes. If you want to be the less than 1% of sport riders who still ride tubulars have fun but to constantly denigrate those who have elected to move on as well as telling everyone why they are wrong gets to the core of this discussion. Tubulars are effectively a footnote in the history of cycling at this point and once the few 60 & 70 year olds stop riding them they will only be seen on the track and vintage rides.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 02-25-23 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-25-23, 04:00 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Some the posters here will eventually notice that I only respond when those post positive and substantive material. Flame away. Or don't.

I will engage anyone is an honest discussion, but i will not tolerate much else anymore. I don't need to put people on "ignore." I can just skip the posts that are not actually contributions (IMO, of course) and hope that later those people might actually make things better, or at least try to.

What I have done in the past, mistakes I am making now or might make in the future ... so what? So long as I am actually making an effort to upgrade myself, and therefore all my interactions here on BF ... I am not claiming to be perfect. I am stati9ng that I am trying to improve.

People who object in any way for any reason ... are certainly free to.
Old 02-25-23, 06:49 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26380 Post(s)
Liked 10,357 Times in 7,194 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I see the usual trolls have arrived. Like moths to a flame.
Rules of the Internet:
    Old 02-25-23, 07:00 PM
    Darth Lefty 
    Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
    Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
    Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
    If you’re going to run it up to twelve it should be the Scout Law. If you are keeping it to four it can be Right Speech from Buddhism
    Genesis 49:16-17
    Old 02-25-23, 07:04 PM
    3alarmer 
    Friendship is Magic

...from way back in 2008, reference cached right here on Teh Biekforums: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=484294 - How to argue: Logical Fallacies and more
    Old 02-25-23, 07:06 PM
    Darth Lefty 
    Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
    Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
    Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
    Originally Posted by 3alarmer
    .How to argue: Logical Fallacies and more
    Just being a hypocrite doesn’t make me wrong
    Genesis 49:16-17
    Old 02-25-23, 07:08 PM
    tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
    Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
    Liked 7,277 Times in 2,940 Posts
    Needs more rules:

You could have saved yourself some time and effort and just combined those five rules into one rule:

8. Everyone should agree with my equipment biases.

Last edited by tomato coupe; 02-26-23 at 01:16 AM. Reason: typo
    Likes For tomato coupe:
    Old 02-25-23, 07:25 PM
    3alarmer 
    Friendship is Magic

...finally, a question for speculative abandon: why do you think there are so few women present in this particular forum ?
    And as a bonus question (extra credit will be awarded), why do you suppose there is a secretive women only forum?

My own speculation on this, (a simple demographic that has been obvious for many years,) is that women learn pretty quickly it's not a discussion forum. Back when I worked, where I worked, it was often referenced as "testosterone poisoning." It leads to such conclusions as "I ride to go fast, most usually without stopping, because that would affect my Strava records." Some symptoms are short one liners, low empathy scores, and occasional short grunts, more or less at random, while seated at the computer.
    Old 02-25-23, 07:26 PM
    3alarmer 
    Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
    Just being a hypocrite doesn’t make me wrong

...at risk of restating the obvious, it's 2023 in America. Impossible to be wrong any more.
    Old 02-25-23, 07:27 PM
    tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
    Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
    Liked 7,277 Times in 2,940 Posts
    Don't feed the troll.
    Likes For tomato coupe:
    Old 02-25-23, 08:52 PM
    3alarmer 
    Friendship is Magic

...are you gonna follow all my posts with this ? Once was cool, twice was funny, and if it gets to be habitual, there's a forum stalking rule, that will eventually be enforced. I think it's on topic to mention it, in a thread that is about the rules for debate. But you are more than free to put me on ignore, and you can send top secret PM's to all your backslap "like" buddies to do the same. Start a clique in the 6th grade lunchroom. That would be a good way to handle this, rather than a running stream of ad hominem's.

It's a free country, and everyone here gets to choose.
    Old 02-25-23, 09:07 PM
    Lombard
    Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
    Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
    Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
    ...the internet is filled with opinion presented as fact. Sometimes, I think it's why Al Gore invented it. Much of the "wrongness" that gets pointed out here is simply not based on fact. Surely you must understand this ? Otherwise, why would we live in such a deeply divided country ?
    Take this to P&R, not here.
    Old 02-25-23, 09:17 PM
    3alarmer 
    Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Maelochs
    Some the posters here will eventually notice that I only respond when those post positive and substantive material. Flame away. Or don't.

I will engage anyone is an honest discussion, but i will not tolerate much else anymore. I don't need to put people on "ignore." I can just skip the posts that are not actually contributions (IMO, of course) and hope that later those people might actually make things better, or at least try to.

What I have done in the past, mistakes I am making now or might make in the future ... so what? So long as I am actually making an effort to upgrade myself, and therefore all my interactions here on BF ... I am not claiming to be perfect. I am stati9ng that I am trying to improve.
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The moral high ground, in ethical or political parlance, refers to the status of being respected for remaining moral, and adhering to and upholding a universally recognized standard of justice or goodness. In derogatory context, the term is often used to metaphorically describe a position of self-righteousness.

In everyday use a person may take the perspective of the 'moral high ground' in order to produce a critique of something, or merely to win an argument. This perspective is sometimes associated to snobbery but may also be a legitimate way of taking up a stance.
    ...not a complaint, only an observation. This thread began as an attempt at claiming the moral high ground, and that's probably why I initially found it so entertaining. You might very well feel that you have turned an important corner in your life, and I applaud you for that.

​​​​​​​ Me, I'm a moral relativist, so it's hard for me to stand here and look up at anyone. That may or may not be my problem. I think the fact that I have some exposure to cognition studies and educational methods classes is the other one. But that would be an argument from authority (like rule # 1), and I don't do argument from authority. I try pretty hard to listen, respond on topic, and then go do more important things. Tax time is coming up, so it might be time to organize.
    Old 02-25-23, 09:18 PM
    3alarmer 
    Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Lombard

...say wut ? Was it the name that triggered you ? I'll go back and asterisk it out, if you want.
    Old 02-25-23, 09:30 PM
    indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
    Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
    Quoted: 18396 Post(s)
    Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
    Originally Posted by Lombard
    Lighten up, Francis.
    Old 02-25-23, 09:34 PM
    jasoninohio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
    Quoted: 33 Post(s)
    Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts
    I just replaced my rim tape with Veloplugs and got some smooth-stem tubes
    Likes For jasoninohio:
    Old 02-26-23, 07:37 AM
    PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
    Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
    Liked 4,824 Times in 2,981 Posts
    Clinchers may be adequate for casual cycling due to cost and convenience, but are not competitive at the elite level, in any cycling discipline: 'cross, road, mtb and track.
    Alternative reality^

You actually make a great example of someone unable to separate their personal preferences from fact. Your statement above is completely false and yet you believe it to be an absolute truth.
    Old 02-26-23, 07:50 AM
    seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
    Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
    Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...not a complaint, only an observation. This thread began as an attempt at claiming the moral high ground, and that's probably why I initially found it so entertaining. You might very well feel that you have turned an important corner in your life, and I applaud you for that.

Me, I'm a moral relativist, so it's hard for me to stand here and look up at anyone. That may or may not be my problem. I think the fact that I have some exposure to cognition studies and educational methods classes is the other one. But that would be an argument from authority (like rule # 1), and I don't do argument from authority. I try pretty hard to listen, respond on topic, and then go do more important things. Tax time is coming up, so it might be time to organize.
    I took the initial post as a masked way to insult some posters that didn't agree with the OP in some other threads. By starting the thread however, the OP insulted mostly himself. He doesn't have the ability to look in the mirror and evaluate/change the person looking back at him. Thread should never have been started. As usual, OP just looking for an argument. Nothing but a troll thread.

Last edited by seypat; 02-26-23 at 08:43 AM.
    Old 02-26-23, 07:57 AM
    Highcad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
    Quoted: 30 Post(s)
    Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    7. Don't be a dick about it.

When I think about this forum, this is my first thought. It's full of snarky a-holes. I belong to other (hobby type) sports forums - and they aren't like this. As I write this, I fully expect a snarky reply.
    Likes For Highcad:
    Old 02-26-23, 08:09 AM
    GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
    Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
    Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
    Some guy named Filippo Ganna uses clinchers to go fast. Imagine if he used tubulars.

My 1972 Masi GC has a very nice set of them along with period correct accouterments. The bike is slow and uncomfortable compared to my aerodynamic carbon fibre bike with disk brakes, Firecrest 303 with 32 mm tubeless and a saddle made by a 3D printer out of plastic. I do still like my Brooks B17 with Ti rails.
    Likes For GhostRider62:
    Old 02-26-23, 08:13 AM
    Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
    Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
    Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
    Originally Posted by Highcad
    7. Don't be a dick about it.

When I think about this forum, this is my first thought. It's full of snarky a-holes. I belong to other (hobby type) sports forums - and they aren't like this. As I write this, I fully expect a snarky reply.
    It is too early ... I had a long, hard day, yesterday, just got up, coffee is still brewing so .... sorry, I cannot come up with a decent snarky response. Be patient, give me some time ... I rarely fail in this department.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.