Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Duct tape the inside of my tires?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 01-18-05, 08:24 PM
little5guy

Bikes: 95 GT Force, 95 Gary Fisher Hookooekoo, 75 Takara fixie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First, I have a never ending quest to find more uses for duct tape (which clearly represents the apex of human thought). Second, I am cheap. Third, I am frustrated at having gotten two flats in as many rides.

My query:
Would it be folly to apply thin strips of duct tape to the inside of the tire? One or two strips would not be too thick to mess anything up I would think. The benefit, of course, would be that those little stones, and pieces of glass and metal would have more trouble poking into my tube.

Has anyone ever tried this? Has no one ever tried because they are smart enough to realize it is one of the more bone headed, useless acts one can do? After all, Amradillos are awesome, but they cost $30 bones a tire. That ain't cheap.

For the uninitiated, Armadillos are tires have extra thick tread and are about as close as one can get to puncture proof.

Any thoughts are appreciated, as always.

Thanks!
Old 01-18-05, 08:33 PM
jinx_removing
SuperstitiousHyperrealist

Bikes: unknown road conversion, half built Benotto track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Duct tape isn't really puncture resistant so I would say that this isn't going to do a thing for you.

Edit: there are liners that you can purchase for this. I don't know anything about them but I know FixedFiend uses them.
Old 01-18-05, 09:00 PM
icithecat
old codger

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well. If you used enough duct tape, you could replace the tube altogether. I wouldn't try it though.
Old 01-18-05, 09:46 PM
bostontrevor
Retrogrouch in Training

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ask yourself this: do you really think duct tape is tougher than the tread and skin wall of your tire? I don't.

Personally I love Armadillos. If you're cool with the fact that they're a heavy slow tire, they're awesome. Yeah $60 to get you rolling ain't cheap, but then not having to fix a flat at 7pm and 11 degrees is pretty excellent too.
Likes For bostontrevor:
Old 01-18-05, 11:27 PM
Slartibartfast

Bikes: Univega - fixed conversion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jinx_removing
Duct tape isn't really puncture resistant so I would say that this isn't going to do a thing for you.

Edit: there are liners that you can purchase for this. I don't know anything about them but I know FixedFiend uses them.
Yeah. Get the liners. Also, make sure you have plenty of pressure in your tubes. I used to get flats all the time until I figured out that 80% of them were so-called pinch flats or "snake bites" which are due to a less than adequately inflated tube getting pinched when you hit a rock/pot hole/curb.
Likes For Slartibartfast:
Old 01-19-05, 04:46 AM
dobber
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use an retired inner tube as a liner. Slit it lengthwise (around the inside) and place your working tube inside, like a dog in a bun.

Don't have any hard and fast scientific evidence to validate its usage. But my streak of annoyance flats ended after I deployed it on two different rides.
Likes For dobber:
Old 01-19-05, 04:57 AM
andygates
Just riding

Bikes: Cannondale Bad Boy / Mercian track / BOB trailer / Moulton recumbent project

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Duct tape is easy to pierce and it's heavy. And the glue goes to crap when it gets hotwet. Save it for holding the Universe together, and get liners or some decent tyres.
Old 01-19-05, 07:44 AM
Ya Tu Sabes
Rebel Thousandaire

Bikes: Public D8, Yuba Mundo (cargo), Novara Buzz (1-speed, soon to be 2-speed w/ a kickback hub), Xootr 1-speed folder

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree that liners are the way to go - they're not that spendy - but I think the duct tape could work. A single strip wouldn't do much, but maybe two or three strips, or a regular-width strip folded over on itself. I'm just figuring you could pretty much make a Mr. Tuffy out of duct tape. It is true that it wouldn't work as well as a Mr. Tuffy and certainly not as well as Armadilloes, but, you know, it would be wicked cheap.
Old 01-19-05, 07:51 AM
justin79
Aluminum.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used Spin Skinz for a little while which worked pretty well, but they were a pain to install and they're expensive enough that it's not really worth using them instead of springing for Armadillos. Are you getting flats up front? You could probably get away with a cheaper tire for the front and pay the extra money for a nice one in the back.
Old 01-19-05, 09:46 AM
captsven
Spawn of Satan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The palce where the you get the most gain from saving weight is the outer edge of rim. So if you spend a little money to use light weight liners, I think it is worth it. The extra miles per hour you get over the long run vs. money spent is a no brainer.

If you use three layers of duct tape you will add a lot of weight right where you do not want it. You will be noticably busting a$$ more and getting to where you want to get in the same amount of time.
Old 01-19-05, 09:54 AM
powers2b
Listen to me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=little5guy]First, Would it be folly to apply thin strips of duct tape to the inside of the tire? One or two strips would not be too thick to mess anything up I would think. The benefit, of course, would be that those little stones, and pieces of glass and metal would have more trouble poking into my tube.[QUOTE]

Bad idea on many levels.
Your tube is coated with talc powder to allow it to slide around inside the tire. DT will stop that.
The inside of the tire should be smooth, dry and easy to inspect for debris. DT will prevent that.
When you get another flat you will have a fun time removing the tube from the tire and an even greater time trying to patch a tube that is covered with DT glue.
Enjoy
Old 01-19-05, 12:33 PM
HelluvaStella
NoGoSlow

Bikes: Stella fixy conversion, Trek 2300, Specialized Rock Hopper, Schwinn Collegiate 3, Mz Skorpion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OK, so much to address. I say agreed on the fact that stickiness inside the tire is bad. If you're having frequent flat problems, do two things (both cost $, sorry):

If you don't already, get a good floor pump with a pressure dial. I fill my slicks to 115 to 120 psi, and check the pressure (top off really) every day, or every other day.

If the problem is glass and whatnot, look for a pair of tire scrapers. I got them from Via Bikes in Philly https://www.bikeville.com/ for about $5. They are essentially wire curves, attached at the drilled brake hole (if you have) that follow the cross section profile of your tire without touching. If a piece of glass is embedded in your tire, it gets kicked out before one full rotation. The glass flats aren't one shot deals, the glass gradually works its way in with successive rotations. I'll get some pics going when the camera comes back from the infirmary. I'm not the only one who's heard of these, am I?
Likes For HelluvaStella:
Old 01-19-05, 12:44 PM
crustedfish
oh..so...crusty..

Bikes: bianchi pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HelluvaStella
OK, so much to address. I say agreed on the fact that stickiness inside the tire is bad. If you're having frequent flat problems, do two things (both cost $, sorry):

If you don't already, get a good floor pump with a pressure dial. I fill my slicks to 115 to 120 psi, and check the pressure (top off really) every day, or every other day.

If the problem is glass and whatnot, look for a pair of tire scrapers. I got them from Via Bikes in Philly https://www.bikeville.com/ for about $5. They are essentially wire curves, attached at the drilled brake hole (if you have) that follow the cross section profile of your tire without touching. If a piece of glass is embedded in your tire, it gets kicked out before one full rotation. The glass flats aren't one shot deals, the glass gradually works its way in with successive rotations. I'll get some pics going when the camera comes back from the infirmary. I'm not the only one who's heard of these, am I?
no, your just the only one who uses them.
Old 01-19-05, 12:57 PM
powers2b
Listen to me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A gloved hand or the bottom of your shoe can be used to remove glass from the tires.
The KEY is to avoid riding in road crud by staying in the tire-path part of the road whenever possible/practical.
Enjoy
Old 01-19-05, 07:54 PM
SamHouston
Good Afternoon!

Bikes: Various by application

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yah if you're getting too many flats take a look at what you are doing on the road. If it's pinch flats be a bit more considerate of the rough bits if it's glass and wire don't go though the ugly stuff if you can avoid it.
Always remember that flats are part of the game too, no need to take too much effort with gear or line to avoid them they'll come anyway. I only get about one a month but occasionally lady luck takes me out behind the shed and I get 3 in a day. Nuttin to be done for it if you're city riding and can't pick your destinations.
Old 01-19-05, 07:58 PM
HelluvaStella
NoGoSlow

Bikes: Stella fixy conversion, Trek 2300, Specialized Rock Hopper, Schwinn Collegiate 3, Mz Skorpion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by crustedfish
no, your just the only one who uses them.
Yes, I may be. But "your" the one with poor grammatical skills. And a sh*tty attitude, if I may say so.
Old 01-19-05, 10:10 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Yes it would be folly.

Spinskins or Armadillos or both, or any good quality Kevlar belted tire (and there are many), are the best answers. If you really don't care about speed or effort and money is a big issue. And if you have old tires like the ones on the bike or smaller. You can cut the beads off the old tires and put them inside the good tires. You will lose about 1 mph on flat ground, but you can ride over most glass, small animals, and medium size dogs....
Old 01-19-05, 11:30 PM
labratmatt
Total Hack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
Yes it would be folly.

Spinskins or Armadillos or both, or any good quality Kevlar belted tire (and there are many), are the best answers. If you really don't care about speed or effort and money is a big issue. And if you have old tires like the ones on the bike or smaller. You can cut the beads off the old tires and put them inside the good tires. You will lose about 1 mph on flat ground, but you can ride over most glass, small animals, and medium size dogs....
How about raccoons? Fawns? Cubs?
Old 01-20-05, 09:55 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by labratmatt
How about raccoons? Fawns? Cubs?
I guess it depends your wheel build, type of fork, and skill level.

You have heard of a "Bunny Hop" haven't you?
Likes For 2manybikes:
Old 07-06-17, 03:59 PM
Danyboy95

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gorilla tape

I have used gorilla tape on the inside of the tire. It has worked for me so.
Old 07-06-17, 04:10 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Danyboy95
I have used gorilla tape on the inside of the tire. It has worked for me so.

12 years. Almost the record. Close but no cigar.
Likes For SquidPuppet:
Old 07-06-17, 05:31 PM
johnnytheboy

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
30 dollars per tire IS cheap.
Old 07-06-17, 06:09 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnytheboy
30 dollars per tire IS cheap.
Talking to zombies again?
Old 07-06-17, 09:23 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
If you were bike treking across China and miles from civilization it might work to get you a few more miles from a set of bald tires if you wrapped it on the outside. On the inside? I agree with the above statements. The glue alone will turn to jelly and it can puncture easier than the tube.
Old 07-06-17, 09:54 PM
Tokwan

Bikes: Giant/HARO/ Exitway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have done this before. Had a flat in the remote part of the trail. While going about hastily fixing the flats, I accidentally broke the liner. The liner itself was already in bad shape( I don't make enough ..) so I used the good old Duct Tape. Forgot about it and only realized a few months later. No problems.
This was for MTB.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.