Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Describe your moments heading off on tour

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Describe your moments heading off on tour

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-19, 10:55 AM
jrozzelle

Bikes: 1981 Team Miyata, 1987 Fuso "25th Anniversary", 1986 Liberati Professional, 1983 Trek 720, Giant TCR Comp1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
self supported tour 1

My wife liked having that sag wagon and knowing there was always someone planning who wasn't me. Not that she thinks I can't plan. I moved Signal companies around Europe. It's like this: we were on a supported bike tour of the Eastern Townships. Pretty flat mostly except for this one climb on day two which went on for quite a ways. My wife is in great shape but doesn't bike as much as I. I was beside her as she granny geared up and she said, "This is why I can't go on a trip you plan; if you'd planned this trip I'd be really mad at you right now." That is a distillation of our entire married life, but I digress. So we did three Backroads trips, paying the big premium for the guides and vans. Last year we were planning a trip to Ireland and my wife, on her own, researched bike touring. Backroads does trips there but she came to the conclusion on her own that we didn't need that level of support in Ireland. She found a bike shop in Galway which set me, my wife and daughter up with bikes and bags, arranged our overnight stays on a custom itinerary, all for much less than the fully supported tours. John Kennedy dropped us off at Maam's Crossing on the outskirts of Galway and sent us on our way for five days, four nights around Connemara, self supported. It was a fantastic trip. This leads us to our imminent adventure. We're dropping our daughter off at Colgate next week. Instead of coming home to her empty room and being depressed we're going to pedal around The Finger Lakes for a week, completely self supported. Of course, she planned it all, very little input from me, but still, this is a big step. I shipped our bikes last Thursday. I'm very excited and a little nervous that it all will come off well. I'll post a pic when we get back.

Join Adventure Cycling if you're a bike tourer and aren't a member. Come by if you're pedaling through San Francisco. I have a very well-equipped home bike shop. I have chain lube.

Last edited by jrozzelle; 08-17-19 at 11:06 AM. Reason: add
Old 08-17-19, 10:56 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
Doesn"t everyone go to Jiffylube when their chain needs a lube?
Old 08-19-19, 10:53 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Before setting out on a tour I usually stay awake too late from nervous anticipation. A couple of times I've headed out with ~3 hours sleep but it works out OK.
Likes For DropBarFan:
Old 08-20-19, 04:52 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by ironwood
Doesn"t everyone go to Jiffylube when their chain needs a lube?
I certainly have, the problem is every time they wave me in, I end up falling into this cement trench sort of thing.
Granted, they get the job done lickity split, but I am sore afterwards for a few days each time.
Likes For djb:
Old 08-20-19, 09:49 AM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 487 Times in 236 Posts
my wife is happy that I leave, Iam happy that I leave.
Likes For str:
Old 08-20-19, 09:51 AM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 487 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by jrozzelle
My wife liked having that sag wagon and knowing there was always someone planning who wasn't me. Not that she thinks I can't plan. I moved Signal companies around Europe. It's like this: we were on a supported bike tour of the Eastern Townships. Pretty flat mostly except for this one climb on day two which went on for quite a ways. My wife is in great shape but doesn't bike as much as I. I was beside her as she granny geared up and she said, "This is why I can't go on a trip you plan; if you'd planned this trip I'd be really mad at you right now." That is a distillation of our entire married life, but I digress. So we did three Backroads trips, paying the big premium for the guides and vans. Last year we were planning a trip to Ireland and my wife, on her own, researched bike touring. Backroads does trips there but she came to the conclusion on her own that we didn't need that level of support in Ireland. She found a bike shop in Galway which set me, my wife and daughter up with bikes and bags, arranged our overnight stays on a custom itinerary, all for much less than the fully supported tours. John Kennedy dropped us off at Maam's Crossing on the outskirts of Galway and sent us on our way for five days, four nights around Connemara, self supported. It was a fantastic trip. This leads us to our imminent adventure. We're dropping our daughter off at Colgate next week. Instead of coming home to her empty room and being depressed we're going to pedal around The Finger Lakes for a week, completely self supported. Of course, she planned it all, very little input from me, but still, this is a big step. I shipped our bikes last Thursday. I'm very excited and a little nervous that it all will come off well. I'll post a pic when we get back.

Join Adventure Cycling if you're a bike tourer and aren't a member. Come by if you're pedaling through San Francisco. I have a very well-equipped home bike shop. I have chain lube.

Eastern Townships is where?
Old 08-20-19, 10:40 AM
jrozzelle

Bikes: 1981 Team Miyata, 1987 Fuso "25th Anniversary", 1986 Liberati Professional, 1983 Trek 720, Giant TCR Comp1

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
South of Montreal, Canada. Beautiful agricultural area. Drivers don't just slow down, they slow down and wave, even when traveling in the opposite direction.
Old 08-20-19, 11:58 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
We're dropping our daughter off at Colgate next week. Instead of coming home to her empty room and being depressed we're going to pedal around The Finger Lakes for a week, completely self supported.
I have done the Bon Ton Roulet twice. It's a supported tour in the Finger Lakes region. Nice area to ride in, especially for a first, unsupported tour. Nothing super difficult (for the most part), but I don't remember seeing many camping opportunities if that's what you're doing. Skaneateles is a tony town. I was somewhat disappointed with Watkins Glen. Imagined a more quiet place. The riding around Keuka Lake was really nice. There are some Amish farms in the area around Dundee, which is a bit west of the west shore of Seneca Lake. The ride from there then north on NY 14 towards Seneca was nice, though you can't see much of the lake. Cortland was probably the only meh town.

Do you have a route map? Would be interested to see it.
Old 08-20-19, 02:42 PM
jrozzelle

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
We're not camping, this time. Baby steps

Day 1: Ride from Geneva to Seneca Falls via Sampson SP, Ovid, Canoga, ~45 miles
Lunch at Thirsty Owl
Stay in Seneca Falls; visit Women's Rights National Historical Park and Canal Bridge, alleged inspiration for “It’s a Wonderful Life”
Hotel: The Gould Hotel

Day 2: Ride from Seneca Falls to Ithaca ~53 miles
Lunch at Fargo Bar & Grill in Aurora
Ithaca is supposed to be a very cute little city and Cornell worth visiting.

I have cue sheets too. Private message me and I'll be happy to share them with you.
7:30: Dinner at Moosewood
Hotel: Miller Inn

Day 3:Ride from Ithaca to Watkins Glen
~52 miles
Lunch at Thirsty Owl or in Ovid
Hotel: Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel

Day Four, no pedaling, spend the day in/around Watkins Glen
Hike (~2 hours) Watkins Glen Gorge Trail
Visit the Farm Sanctuary. It’s about 12 miles out of town and up ~1500 feet. The Visitor Center is open from 10:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wed-Sun. Guided tours are held on the hour. The last tour is at 3 p.m.
See Seneca Lake Wine Trail for nearby wineries.

Hotel: Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel

Day 5: Ride from Watkins Glen to Hammondsport via Penn Yan ~45miles
Lunch in Penn Yan
Hotel: Keuka Lakeside Inn

Day 6 Ride from Hammondsport to Geneva via Penn Yan + Dresden ~43miles
Lunch in Penn Yan

Last edited by jrozzelle; 08-20-19 at 02:46 PM. Reason: add
Old 08-20-19, 09:08 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
We're not camping, this time. Baby steps

Day 1: Ride from Geneva to Seneca Falls via Sampson SP, Ovid, Canoga, ~45 miles
Lunch at Thirsty Owl
Stay in Seneca Falls; visit Women's Rights National Historical Park and Canal Bridge, alleged inspiration for “It’s a Wonderful Life”
Hotel: The Gould Hotel

Day 2: Ride from Seneca Falls to Ithaca ~53 miles
Lunch at Fargo Bar & Grill in Aurora
Ithaca is supposed to be a very cute little city and Cornell worth visiting.
Sounds like fun, I rode around Ithaca area a bit, nice scenery & roads seemed pretty decent.