Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Lauf True Grit as gravel and road bike?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-19, 12:08 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts

I like the looks of the lauf true grit bike. Wondering what it feels like on the road with that fork. I don’t really do much actual road bike racing. Currently have a dedicated gravel and road bike. I have a friend who has a thesis bike bike which he loves for gravel and road. I’m just curious if anybody uses the lauf true grit on the road and how it feels. Honestly for my uses it would probably be fine but I’m just curious
Old 10-29-19, 01:31 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
I rode the True Grit at Adventurefest in 2017. I rode it on the road, on singletrack, and gravel roads. It is a great bike. light and fast.. I think the fork would be fine on the road it smooths out the imperfections of the road wonderfully. it is still on my short list for someday!
Old 10-29-19, 06:03 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

It’s on my short list too. Along with the Cannondale Carbon Topstone and lynskey gravel
Old 10-29-19, 07:40 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
As a road bike, it rides fine, but you will not be using much of what it is designed for and you are carrying extra weight at extra cost for a road bike. I ride a Grit on grvel regularly and it is wonderful on that and wonderful when you turn on to the pavement looking for the next gravel road, but if you are not riding gravel with it, why? Maybe sell your other two and keep the Grit?
Old 10-31-19, 07:23 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Originally Posted by dwmckee
As a road bike, it rides fine, but you will not be using much of what it is designed for and you are carrying extra weight at extra cost for a road bike. I ride a Grit on grvel regularly and it is wonderful on that and wonderful when you turn on to the pavement looking for the next gravel road, but if you are not riding gravel with it, why? Maybe sell your other two and keep the Grit?
It would be used primarily for gravel. But I do occasionally do some road biking events. Gran fondo type stuff. Of course my current road bike wouldn’t get me much money selling it so I could just keep that.
Old 11-03-19, 02:32 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Ah, it is a good choice then, but you should look at the Warbird, Bombtrack EXT-C, Open U.P., and a few others, and also consider that teh Grit fork can be added to most any bike too for a lot more choices. If you are in rough stuff, washboard, etc. the Grit fork is excellent. And on pavement you will not even know the grit fork is there...

Yeah, the market for better used road bikes is really saturated by folks that tried gravel bikes then realized they never want to go back to riding a road bike. It is shocking to see what little used high-end road bikes are selling for these days on ebay. Even new ones past model year but still with full warranty.
Old 11-03-19, 03:52 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Be warned, AFAIK the Lauf framesets are 1X or eTap only. There are no stops for an FD, AFAIK
Old 11-03-19, 05:20 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Be warned, AFAIK the Lauf framesets are 1X or eTap only. There are no stops for an FD, AFAIK
thanks. I think I’d be okay with that.
Old 11-03-19, 05:23 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Originally Posted by dwmckee
Ah, it is a good choice then, but you should look at the Warbird, Bombtrack EXT-C, Open U.P., and a few others, and also consider that teh Grit fork can be added to most any bike too for a lot more choices. If you are in rough stuff, washboard, etc. the Grit fork is excellent. And on pavement you will not even know the grit fork is there...

Yeah, the market for better used road bikes is really saturated by folks that tried gravel bikes then realized they never want to go back to riding a road bike. It is shocking to see what little used high-end road bikes are selling for these days on ebay. Even new ones past model year but still with full warranty.
my 5 year old Jamis aluminum frame road bike was only $1100 so for sure now it’s not worth much. I’m better off keeping it as it still works fine.
Old 01-10-20, 03:10 PM
fuel0707

Bikes: Lauf True Grit; Trek Madone, Domane and Checkpoint; EMB-505

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I"m a little late to this one but as a new Lauf owner, I can give you a little feedback. The first time or two on the road, you may initially notice that the front end dips a little if you jump out of the saddle to sprint. But to me, I didn't even notice it anymore. As for as road riding goes, the Lauf does well. It's very light so it's not a problem going up hills. The geometry feels more towards the "aggressive" side than the upright/comfort portion of the scale which I like. Steering is responsive, too.

Overall, it's a great bike.
Old 01-11-20, 06:09 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

I did end up buying a lauf. Only ridden on gravel so far. I do have a separate set of wheels with size 28 tires when I get around to taking it out on the pavement. It’s a great bike
Likes For biketampa:
Old 01-13-20, 04:32 AM
IchbinJay

Bikes: Cannondale Slate 105 (2017)

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by biketampa
I did end up buying a lauf. Only ridden on gravel so far. I do have a separate set of wheels with size 28 tires when I get around to taking it out on the pavement. It’s a great bike
Pics please!
Old 01-13-20, 01:23 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Originally Posted by IchbinJay
Pics please!

Likes For biketampa:
Old 01-26-20, 11:57 AM
fuel0707

Bikes: Lauf True Grit; Trek Madone, Domane and Checkpoint; EMB-505

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Nice bike. I like the green finish.
Old 01-27-20, 07:11 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Originally Posted by fuel0707
Nice bike. I like the green finish.
thanks. I do like the color. I’m still fine tuning things. Just switched to some wtb resolute tires.