Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

French Threaded pedals

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

French Threaded pedals

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-20, 01:28 PM
hwheel72 
Steele is Real

Bikes: 86 De Rosa Pro, 79 Gazelle Champion Mondial, 72 Nishiki Professional, 71 Peugeot PX-10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
French Threaded pedals

I'm looking to find some good french alternative pedals perhaps. I realize I can use an English Tap to scale up to the standards but just wondering if anyone has a suggestion for my Stronglight 93? I really dont want to mess with the crank as it's original to the bike and in excellent condition. I would like to keep it true.

Thanks for any help..
Old 06-29-20, 01:34 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Ebay France always has an abundance of listings, or Ebay US. You can search for things like "french thread pedals" or "pedales 14 1.25," (with and without decimal, denoting the thread pitch).
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 06-29-20, 03:17 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2196 Post(s)
Liked 4,595 Times in 1,764 Posts
Without knowing anything about the bike, or your prefrences, I'd suggest to look for the Lyotard 460D. Very nice and very versatile pedals.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 06-29-20, 04:31 PM
hwheel72 
Steele is Real

Bikes: 86 De Rosa Pro, 79 Gazelle Champion Mondial, 72 Nishiki Professional, 71 Peugeot PX-10

Thanks for the replies all. It's a '71 PX-10 that is about 90% original in really nice condition. I'll take a look at those pedals on velobase.

Cheers!
Old 06-29-20, 05:55 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
Without knowing anything about the bike, or your prefrences, I'd suggest to look for the Lyotard 460D. Very nice and very versatile pedals.
Agreed. I've been riding on the same pair since 1970. For some reason I don't begin to understand, it's easier to get your foot in and out of them (when using clips) than any other pedals I have used.

I also don't like retapping cranks. I have several bikes with Stronglight 93 cranks, some of which are French threaded, and some English.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Old 06-29-20, 07:08 PM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 157 Posts
hwheel72-

Try Lyotard 45 CAs. They are light, pretty and easy to rebuild/service.
Likes For bertinjim:
Old 06-30-20, 06:56 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by hwheel72
I'm looking to find some good french alternative pedals perhaps. I realize I can use an English Tap to scale up to the standards but just wondering if anyone has a suggestion for my Stronglight 93? I really dont want to mess with the crank as it's original to the bike and in excellent condition. I would like to keep it true.

Thanks for any help..
I'd avoid any Lyotard with a built-up central barrel - the ones with a separate tube between the two cups. Those always get bent and/or the bearings get mis-adjusted. As well, Lyotards with a (supposedly) welded mid-barrel support strut often have had that weld break (so often that I wonder if it was just the plating that was supposed to hold them in place).

I'd also avoid any without specific holes (or slots like the Atom 440s). I would be wary of any of the Atoms, nice though they may look; some of the 600's were not rebuildable, and they often needed it; the cones are too thin near the edge of the race and bits break off. I haven't checked a set of 440s to see if they have the same cones.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 06-30-20, 07:03 AM
hwheel72 
Steele is Real

Originally Posted by oneclick
I'd avoid any Lyotard with a built-up central barrel - the ones with a separate tube between the two cups. Those always get bent and/or the bearings get mis-adjusted. As well, Lyotards with a (supposedly) welded mid-barrel support strut often have had that weld break (so often that I wonder if it was just the plating that was supposed to hold them in place).

I'd also avoid any without specific holes (or slots like the Atom 440s). I would be wary of any of the Atoms, nice though they may look; some of the 600's were not rebuildable, and they often needed it; the cones are too thin near the edge of the race and bits break off. I haven't checked a set of 440s to see if they have the same cones.
Thanks for the info. I will keep an eye out for any faults. I think I'll be limited for french threaded options, however. From what I've researched there isn't too much out there.
Old 06-30-20, 12:45 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26400 Post(s)
Liked 10,373 Times in 7,202 Posts
...may I ask, without getting into too much drama, why the guys who don't want to retap standard are so averse to doing so ? I have wide feet, and were it not for retapping the French cranks I ride, I would not be riding them much. The availability of some very well made MKS pedals that are visually similar to some of the old French standards has helped me in this.

But it's not like anyone can see the size of the hole or the pedal threading in your crank arm. And retapping them just makes my life so much easier.

Again, no judgement from me about "all original". But is that the only reason ? I can't think of another.
Old 06-30-20, 02:02 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the venerable Lyotard Berthet pedals. These are still available somewhat affordably in spite of the current craze over old French things. They're easy to flip and good for wide feet and flexy shoes.
Old 06-30-20, 02:25 PM
hwheel72 
Steele is Real

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...may I ask, without getting into too much drama, why the guys who don't want to retap standard are so averse to doing so ? I have wide feet, and were it not for retapping the French cranks I ride, I would not be riding them much. The availability of some very well made MKS pedals that are visually similar to some of the old French standards has helped me in this.

But it's not like anyone can see the size of the hole or the pedal threading in your crank arm. And retapping them just makes my life so much easier.

Again, no judgement from me about "all original". But is that the only reason ? I can't think of another.
Keeping them as original as possible is my main reason. The crank is in pristine condition and would like to keep it that way if I can.
Old 06-30-20, 02:25 PM
hwheel72 
Steele is Real

Originally Posted by scarlson
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the venerable Lyotard Berthet pedals. These are still available somewhat affordably in spite of the current craze over old French things. They're easy to flip and good for wide feet and flexy shoes.
I will take a look at them. Thanks !
Old 06-30-20, 02:33 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2196 Post(s)
Liked 4,595 Times in 1,764 Posts

Because, where else am I going to put my French-threaded pedals?

Old 06-30-20, 02:58 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by scarlson

...I can buy these online for about 50 bucks a pair, and IMO they are better constructed pedals. Just my opinion.
I just came in from rethreading a French bike cottered crank to do that, which is why it comes to mind.
Old 06-30-20, 02:59 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by non-fixie
Because, where else am I going to put my French-threaded pedals?
...I have a junk box filled with them. So you can't give them to me.
Old 06-30-20, 03:20 PM
hwheel72 
Steele is Real

...I can buy these online for about 50 bucks a pair, and IMO they are better constructed pedals. Just my opinion.
I just came in from rethreading a French bike cottered crank to do that, which is why it comes to mind.
I wish they made those with French threads..
Likes For hwheel72:
Old 06-30-20, 04:03 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by hwheel72
I wish they made those with French threads..
I generally have no problem rethreading the French cranks but I have a PX-10 that is in pretty rough shape that had some standard pedals jammed in and I wanted it to stay original.

Got them out, got some French pedals for donor spindles, made chasers, fixed that, got some French Campy spindles for this, then made chasers out of the standard Campy spindles since I find Campy's to be very tight in some cranks.

BB was the same, crossthreaded, very bunged up with neither side original Stronglight threading in all the way, chased and fixed that too so all good, still French and will live on.

Old 06-30-20, 07:06 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Yeah, the Berthet is one of the most knocked-off pedals in history! I have a pair of SR SP-11 on my Ron Cooper, but I really wish I could afford the White Industries Berthet knockoff.