Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Front Disc Brake Rubbing

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Front Disc Brake Rubbing

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-21, 05:48 PM
kosmo886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Front Disc Brake Rubbing

I feel like this happens on all my bikes...the front disc rubs as I ride. Does this mean the rotor is bent or is there an easy adjustment of some sort?
Old 05-03-21, 05:52 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by kosmo886
I feel like this happens on all my bikes...the front disc rubs as I ride. Does this mean the rotor is bent or is there an easy adjustment of some sort?
Bent is too strong of word. It is probably tweaked. It is an easy fix, get the right tool though.
Old 05-03-21, 05:54 PM
kosmo886

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
Bent is too strong of word. It is probably tweaked. It is an easy fix, get the right tool though.
What is the right tool?
Old 05-03-21, 05:58 PM
colnago62

Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by kosmo886
What is the right tool?
A rotor trueing tool.
Old 05-03-21, 05:59 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Does it rub all of the time? Or only in wet weather or after hard braking? Is there contact for most/all of a wheel rotation or only once per?

If it's only making noise under certain conditions, it might not be an issue - could just be debris sticking or temporary heat expansion.

​​​​​​If it's making noise most of a revolution, you probably need to align your caliper. If it's only one spot, truing (bending it straight) is in order. Both are easy jobs.
Old 05-03-21, 06:31 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Piston could also be sticky, especially if it rubs after braking some but not all the time.
Old 05-03-21, 07:07 PM
Shinkers

Bikes: '88 Trek 1200, '91 Trek 1400

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
If the rotor is bent than the noise should be present if you lift the front wheel up and spin the wheel. If that's the case, you can bend it straight with your fingers (wear a glove or use a clean paper towel or similar to keep the rotor clean).

I've seen some hub designs that allow enough flex in the bearing preload to cause rotor rub during high efforts (this is unlikely to be your problem though).

If it's a noise that only shows up sometimes, than it could be a sticky piston, debris, or just the rotor getting hot. I've noticed on my mountain bike that if I get the rotors hot I noticed a bit more rubbing as they start to warp (I'm assuming) but then quiet as they cool.
Old 05-04-21, 04:43 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
First check that your pads are centered around the rotor - easy to do yourself, many YouTube videos show how. I don't rubbing often from my disc brakes, but every time except 1 this fixed it.

The one time was a gunked up and sticky piston. I watched YouTube videos on how to clean that up, a bit trickier and messier - but that cleared up the one time issue.
Likes For jpescatore:
Old 05-04-21, 07:27 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I would check the rotor for runout first. Park makes a truing gage, but it's crude without a dial indicator to go with it. I made my own with some aluminum angle I had laying around and a dial indicator I've had since the 80's. My Campy rotors are still true to .002 inch. An adjustable wrench may work as well as a truing fork, but so far I've never needed to true a rotor. If a rotor needs repeated truing, I'd replace it.

https://www.parktool.com/product/rot...ategory=Brakes
https://www.parktool.com/product/dia...ategory=Brakes
https://www.parktool.com/product/rot...ategory=Brakes
Old 05-04-21, 09:40 AM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
+1 to all off the above. I will note that when Chris Froome's complain about disc brakes went up, I had a set of Swiss Stop catalysts rotors on the way. Damn if he isn't right - those rotors do get a little noisier than Shimano rotors when they heat up. They seem a little quieter in the wet, though. Not sure how that works...

I do think the easiest starting point is to center the caliper and then move from there. That takes a few minutes tops and is super easy. If that doesn't work, then move up the chain of difficulty.
Old 05-04-21, 09:54 AM
remlapnonrev

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agree with everything that has been said. If it is an intermittent sound, probably a bent disc. If it's constant, it could be debris. I know if I have been riding in rainy conditions, I get squeak breaks because of dried detritus on the disc.