Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

USPS black hole?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

USPS black hole?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-21, 10:47 AM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
I have an item coming from Germany that:
  1. Shipped Monday with a delivery date of Friday
  2. Cleared customers fast on Tuesday, updated the delivery date to Thursday/today, but
  3. Late Weds it says the shipment status has changed and they don't have a delivery date.
  4. I got an email 45 minutes ago saying I can follow on the truck on the map to watch them deliver it today.

https://www.ups.com/track?loc=en_US&...1/trackdetails

The world definitely still isn't back to normal.
Old 05-06-21, 10:51 AM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 286 Posts
I only use usps Priority for outgoing small stuff, and in general outgoing has been significantly smoother these past few months than Dec-Feb. My worst was a $500+ item shipped early Jan that took 5wks to get from Jersey to MD, a distance of less than 200mi. At one point when it hit a p.o. less than 10mi from the buyer we both were thrilled, but then popped up in TX 2-3 days later.

Incoming wasn't great then, either, especially with 1st class and parcel shipments. That has mostly improved significantly for me as well.

I have no inside scoop on any of this, but what I heard reported was that when usps was slammed by the covid-holiday rush/staffing probs things really snowballed, and there were packages piling up at local/hub po with no space on outgoing trucks. The weird routing happened because they were desperate just to keep packages moving and make room for more incoming. If a truck was heading to TX with some extra space, that's where the package went, hoping it could re-routed from there. Huge volume combined with staff shortages from huge covid spikes causes turbulence.

I'll also say that my local postie picking up all my outgoing packages for almost a full year kept me a lot safer. I tipped him big-ish at xmas.
Old 05-07-21, 08:04 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater

Dejoy is a the other kind of Boy Scout.
Danger, Danger....stay away from the Sterno Will Robinson.

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 05-07-21, 08:09 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts

Sterno?
Old 05-07-21, 08:16 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 543 Posts
I ordered tires on Amazon and it was a third party vendor in the Netherlands that was supplying them. Much potential for disaster but they arrived in 13 calendar days. I had a similar experience ordering parts from Italy.
Old 05-07-21, 09:30 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
March 26, 2021, 12:01 am
Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
LISBON, MD 21765
I'm impressed USPS found "Lisbon, MD"; I've lived in the state 64.9 years now, I'm probably 1/2 hour away from there, certainly driven right through it, but had to look it up on Google Maps.

Noticing a far bigger performance gap between USPS and -- well, everyone else -- in recent months. Very relieved when I buy something and get an e-mail with a non-USPS tracking number.

Old 05-07-21, 10:16 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
These threads crack me up.
In trans logistics, this is incredibly common.
Small parcel- delays.
LTL- delays.
Truckload- delays.

So yeah, there are delays with the mail too.
What else does anyone think will happen when an organization is required to fund things that dont make them money, since those costs need to come from somewhere?

I had a UPS LTL shipment that weighed 300# go from the ship location to 130mi west the next day, to 200mi south and sit for 2 days, to 300mi northeast and sit for 2 days, then be handed off to a partner carrier and deliver a day later to a location that is 170mi northwest.
The distance from the shipper to receiver is 120mi straight north. It took 9 days and travelled 800mi in total.

Our system is overly stressed- more goods are moving and delays happen. Nobody likes it, but it clearly isnt unique to one individual or one company. FedEx has delays, UPS has delays, etc etc.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-10-21, 11:44 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
keep in mind the guy in charge of the postal system wants it to fail, and told congress, "you have to put up with me"
until the three nominated postal board of governors are confirmed, it will be the same.
The cost of scrapping all those sorting machines last year, and removal of mail drop boxes.

"Maybe" this!!!

The dreaded 'in transit' notice is like the Bermuda triangle. I had a package from outside Philadelphia destined to the DC area, get sent to Jacksonville, FL where it disappeared. It surfaced 2 weeks later back in PA, and then came to the DC area (MD) and sat again. It has gotten better lately, but as long as the elected officials in the US Congress continue to delude themselves that an essential government service is best run like a for profit business the outcome will be guano.

The "maybe" is because this was a truly bipartisan bill that moved at the speed of light in Congressional time (3 DAYS). Here is the short synopsis of the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006

* Introduced in the House as the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act (H.R. 6407) by Tom Davis (R-VA) on December 7, 2006, and cosponsored by Republican John M. McHugh of New York and Democrats Henry Waxman of California and Danny K. Davis of Illinois.
* Committee consideration by House Government Reform Committee
* Passed the House on December 8, 2006 (voice vote)
* Passed the Senate on December 9, 2006 (unanimous consent)
* Signed into law by President George W. Bush on December 20, 2006.

The entire Congress cannot run from this disaster. The 3 new appointees will not be a majority.
Likes For Bill in VA:
Old 05-10-21, 02:10 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill in VA
"Maybe" this!!!

The dreaded 'in transit' notice is like the Bermuda triangle. I had a package from outside Philadelphia destined to the DC area, get sent to Jacksonville, FL where it disappeared. It surfaced 2 weeks later back in PA, and then came to the DC area (MD) and sat again. It has gotten better lately, but as long as the elected officials in the US Congress continue to delude themselves that an essential government service is best run like a for profit business the outcome will be guano.

The "maybe" is because this was a truly bipartisan bill that moved at the speed of light in Congressional time (3 DAYS). Here is the short synopsis of the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006

* Introduced in the House as the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act (H.R. 6407) by Tom Davis (R-VA) on December 7, 2006, and cosponsored by Republican John M. McHugh of New York and Democrats Henry Waxman of California and Danny K. Davis of Illinois.
* Committee consideration by House Government Reform Committee
* Passed the House on December 8, 2006 (voice vote)
* Passed the Senate on December 9, 2006 (unanimous consent)
* Signed into law by President George W. Bush on December 20, 2006.

The entire Congress cannot run from this disaster. The 3 new appointees will not be a majority.
Precisely. Before 2006 there was a desire to kill and privatize the Post Office by members of Congress. It was a long term plan beginning with the pre-funding of benefits for postal employees. It has worked very well. In an attempt to minimize the damage, the post office has relied upon part time (contract) workers to sort and deliver our mail.
Now we have a Postmaster General who is eager to drive the last nail in the coffin of Benjamin Franklin's idea to unify the nation via post offics and post roads,
End of rant.
Likes For dweenk:
Old 05-10-21, 02:19 PM
pcb 

It does seem clear that our transport systems are overstressed, with increased shipping delays for all carriers.

But I reckon the deliberate policy changes/decisions made by DeJoy and the usps board caused additional stress not seen by ups/fedex:
-dismantling/destroying sorting machines
-decreasing the number of dropoff boxes
-routing all 1st class by truck
-requiring trucks to leave at a set time regardless of load volume
-not allowing additional loads/pickups later in the day
-am I missing anything?

At least I'm not aware of any comparable deliberate ups/fedex corporate policy changes that exacerbated handling/shipping delays.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
These threads crack me up.
In trans logistics, this is incredibly common.
Small parcel- delays.
LTL- delays.
Truckload- delays.

So yeah, there are delays with the mail too.
What else does anyone think will happen when an organization is required to fund things that dont make them money, since those costs need to come from somewhere?

I had a UPS LTL shipment that weighed 300# go from the ship location to 130mi west the next day, to 200mi south and sit for 2 days, to 300mi northeast and sit for 2 days, then be handed off to a partner carrier and deliver a day later to a location that is 170mi northwest.
The distance from the shipper to receiver is 120mi straight north. It took 9 days and travelled 800mi in total.

Our system is overly stressed- more goods are moving and delays happen. Nobody likes it, but it clearly isnt unique to one individual or one company. FedEx has delays, UPS has delays, etc etc.
Old 05-10-21, 02:34 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill in VA
The dreaded 'in transit' notice is like the Bermuda triangle. I had a package from outside Philadelphia destined to the DC area, get sent to Jacksonville, FL where it disappeared. It surfaced 2 weeks later back in PA, and then came to the DC area (MD) and sat again.
There must be some sort of postal gravity well in Jacksonville. I've had at least 2 or 3 zig-zag routed items go through Jax. It's not quite _in_ the Bermuda Triangle, but it's close.....
Old 05-10-21, 02:34 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
It just arrived!
Old 05-10-21, 02:55 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
Originally Posted by pcb
It does seem clear that our transport systems are overstressed, with increased shipping delays for all carriers.

But I reckon the deliberate policy changes/decisions made by DeJoy and the usps board caused additional stress not seen by ups/fedex:
-dismantling/destroying sorting machines
-decreasing the number of dropoff boxes
-routing all 1st class by truck
-requiring trucks to leave at a set time regardless of load volume
-not allowing additional loads/pickups later in the day
-am I missing anything?

At least I'm not aware of any comparable deliberate ups/fedex corporate policy changes that exacerbated handling/shipping delays.
Yes, some recent changes specific to USPS for sure havent helped their situation when it comes to prompt delivery of goods. Fully agree.
Old 05-10-21, 03:45 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,327 Times in 783 Posts
Ok, so I started this by buying a set of hubs back in March, they did their march through that list of scans above, then nothing since April 9th.

Today, a month and a day after that, I get this from the seller:

"> We were very fortunate to see these, assuming they got lost
> They were returned to us after 5 weeks lost with a note from Canada and US
> authorities saying something to the effect that the materials contained are
> not shippapple by this method.
> Do you have any alternative addresses?"

I have asked to see a pic/scan of the note (I believe them, the package was in the USPS system...)

I've also asked if they will try again, they're in Maryland, Mt Airy, anybody close want to help?

Just to be clear, I get bike parts all the time from the US in the post.
Old 05-10-21, 06:00 PM
rranchhand60
ranchhand60

Bikes: 94 trek 1200and univega grand premio year?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
Tracking history - most recent (yes really) first:

April 9, 2021
In Transit to Next Facility
Your package is moving within the USPS network and is on track to be delivered to its final destination. It is currently in transit to the next facility.

April 5, 2021, 8:37 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
JACKSONVILLE FL NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER

March 29, 2021, 7:52 am
SEMINOLE-ORLANDO FL DISTRIBUTION CENTER

March 29, 2021, 2:07 am
Departed USPS Regional Facility
TALLAHASSEE FL DISTRIBUTION CENTER

March 28, 2021, 11:02 am
TALLAHASSEE FL DISTRIBUTION CENTER

March 27, 2021, 4:05 pm
JAMAICA NY INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER

March 27, 2021, 5:05 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
DISTRICT HEIGHTS, MD 20747

March 27, 2021, 4:18 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
HYATTSVILLE, MD 20785

March 27, 2021, 2:07 am
BALTIMORE MD DISTRIBUTION CENTER

March 26, 2021, 9:05 pm
BALTIMORE MD DISTRIBUTION CENTER

March 26, 2021, 4:52 pm
Departed Post Office
LISBON, MD 21765

March 26, 2021, 9:00 am
USPS in possession of item
LISBON, MD 21765

March 26, 2021, 12:01 am
Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
LISBON, MD 21765

March 25, 2021
Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS
Had one that said that for 42 days.Was being sent to my home post office,a distance of 23 miles.Lord knows how many times I could have walked it.They just don't care,they get paid no matter what.
Old 05-11-21, 08:47 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
I sent a tool to a guy about 40 miles north of me here by FedEx as I have had no problems with them. Four days later the customer called to tell me that he had not received his tool. I tracked it and it was still in Ventura so I called to tell them I would pick it up and deliver it myself. They said it wasn't there. I FINALLY( their phone system sucks) got through to the hub where it goes next and nope no package. I was told to wait a couple of days to see where it ended up. Well the next day it showed up in New Jersey! When I called they said that it would go on a truck and would arrive 4-5 days later. I asked why they couldn't put it on a plane as the box was about 5" cube and just under 1/2 lb. They said absolutely not it has to stay ground! All told it took about 2 1/2 weeks to get to my customer! When I asked for a refund ,"oh we don't issue refunds because of COVID" . Wow! REALLY? They are all struggling and there is no "GOOD" carrier anymore.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 05-11-21, 09:08 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I got a letter/package in the mail yesterday that was mailed by another BF member around 12/7/20. It appears the original letter was damaged. Someone repackaged and resent.
Old 05-11-21, 10:12 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,480 Times in 3,206 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
there is no "GOOD" carrier anymore.
Really? I've had very few problems with USPS. Only a few times in the past 12 years has a package been rerouted improperly. Only twice in that span have I not received the package, and I'm not sure if I trusted the source/sender. A lot of stuff comes from all the way across the continent in just a few days. I guess "ymmv."
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 05-11-21, 10:28 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Really? I've had very few problems with USPS. Only a few times in the past 12 years has a package been rerouted improperly. Only twice in that span have I not received the package, and I'm not sure if I trusted the source/sender. A lot of stuff comes from all the way across the continent in just a few days. I guess "ymmv."
I agree that USPS is OK but in December of last year I bought a vintage Colnago Jersey from a seller on the east coast and it was lost for five or six days and I just waited because Christmas, COVId Etc. I thought I would just wait . A few days later I was notified that the package was destroyed by a sorting machine! The seller promptly refunded my money and that's great but I really wanted that jersey.
Old 05-11-21, 10:09 PM
pcb 

All good things come to Jersey.....

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I sent a tool to a guy about 40 miles north of me here by FedEx as I have had no problems with them. Four days later the customer called to tell me that he had not received his tool. I tracked it and it was still in Ventura so I called to tell them I would pick it up and deliver it myself. They said it wasn't there. I FINALLY( their phone system sucks) got through to the hub where it goes next and nope no package. I was told to wait a couple of days to see where it ended up. Well the next day it showed up in New Jersey! When I called they said that it would go on a truck and would arrive 4-5 days later. I asked why they couldn't put it on a plane as the box was about 5" cube and just under 1/2 lb. They said absolutely not it has to stay ground! All told it took about 2 1/2 weeks to get to my customer! When I asked for a refund ,"oh we don't issue refunds because of COVID" . Wow! REALLY? They are all struggling and there is no "GOOD" carrier anymore.
Old 05-12-21, 06:23 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,690 Times in 2,610 Posts
Update to my USPS saga: Received the following tracking update this morning:

So it took 18 days to move from Boston to Brookline, essentially 4 miles, and this mysterious delivery attempt occurred while I was home, but no package was left nor did anyone ring the bell. Of course, I requested and received a refund from the seller, so if it does ever arrive, I need to take the time to return it.
Old 07-13-21, 09:13 AM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,378 Posts
Had to add this, had to!

2 tires and 4 tubes

Keep in mind that Milan, MI is outside of Detroit and only 50 miles to the border.

Package shipped by truck to Detroit to the "Detroit MI Network Clearing Center" (whatever that is) then to LA (via Chicago) by truck, then flown from LA to Toronto, Canada

47 days!!!!

​​​​​​July 13, 2021, 9:03 am
Out for Delivery
CANADA
Your item is out for delivery at 9:03 am on July 13, 2021 in CANADA.July 13, 2021, 7:15 am
Arrival at Post Office
CANADAJuly 13, 2021, 2:36 am
Arrived at Facility
CANADAJuly 13, 2021, 12:17 am
Arrived at Facility
CANADAJuly 12, 2021, 2:50 pm
Departed Facility
CANADAJuly 12, 2021, 4:54 am
Arrived at Facility
CANADAJuly 12, 2021, 4:36 am
Processed Through Facility
CANADAJuly 12, 2021, 4:36 am
Customs Clearance
CANADAJuly 9, 2021, 5:34 am
Departed
TORONTO, CANADAJuly 8, 2021, 10:00 pm
Departed
DETROIT, UNITED STATESJuly 8, 2021, 6:59 am
Departed
LOS ANGELES, UNITED STATESJuly 7, 2021, 6:19 pm
Arrived
LOS ANGELES, UNITED STATESJuly 7, 2021, 2:26 pm
Processed Through Regional Facility
LOS ANGELES CA INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER July 7, 2021, 11:05 am
LOS ANGELES CA INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER July 7, 2021, 11:05 am
Arrived at Regional Facility
LOS ANGELES CA INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER July 5, 2021
In Transit to Next FacilityJune 30, 2021, 3:34 pm
LOS ANGELES CA INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER June 30, 2021, 3:34 pm
Customs Clearance
ISC LOS ANGELES CA (USPS) May 28, 2021, 9:07 am
CHICAGO IL INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER May 28, 2021, 4:06 am
DETROIT MI NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER May 28, 2021, 12:08 am
DETROIT MI NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER May 27, 2021, 2:18 pm
Departed Post Office
MILAN, MI 48160 May 27, 2021, 11:57 am
USPS in possession of item
MILAN, MI 48160
Old 07-13-21, 09:17 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
They have the tour de france
we have the tour of north america

payback by USPS for the Lance thing
Likes For repechage:
Old 07-13-21, 09:20 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 782 Posts
Any time I have to order something, I will pay extra for UPS/FedEx delivery. If USPS is the 'default' shipping method, I will contact the merchant and ask them to ship it via one of the other carriers, and I'll pay for it. I've had too many packages lost in the USPS system.
What really irks me is the practice of shipping via, say, UPS, who handles the package cross country in two days, and then, for some reason, it gets transferred to your local USPS facility for final delivery, and that takes weeks - if at all.
Old 07-13-21, 09:35 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I quit selling on ebay because too many items were just flat out disappearing and when you file 'lost package' claims they seem to forget about you or tie it up until you've already handled it yourself (at your own loss, of course). TIP: If you send something insured and it takes longer than it should, just file an insurance claim. Don't ever ask them to find it first. They will keep you tied up until your time runs out and then tell you that YOU waited too long to file a claim.
Likes For Bigbus:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.