Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

I want to like Wippermann and Campy chains for my Shimano 9 and 10 speed bikes

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-18-21, 02:52 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts

I have been using a 2 or 3 chain systems on my 2 road bikes. I wax my chains and run a clean waxed chain for as long as I can and change it out to the next clean one as soon as it gets too noisy. I have Taya, SRAM, KNC, Campagnolo and Wippermann Connex that I have been running. I do use the Park chain checker tool to just see if there is any significant wear showing up. The SRAM and KNC chains always seem to run really quiet but reach the point of 1.0% wear on my gauge pretty quickly. The Campy c-9 nine speed chain and the Wippermann Connex stainless 10 speed chain are the opposite. They show almost no wear after 1,000 miles or more each but both are kind of tight and noisy. After waxing they quiet down for a while but both have gearing combinations where they sound coarse and "gnash-y". I have decided to ignore this sound as normal since they seem to run great and be super slow to wear.

Just wondering what others would say about Campy and Wippermann chains for Shimano. BTW, I am installing the master links with the correct orientation. I wasn't sure if either of these chains are directional though. They don't appear to be,.

Last edited by masi61; 09-18-21 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-18-21, 04:19 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
I have been using a 2 or 3 chain systems on my 2 road bikes. I wax my chains and run a clean waxed chain for as long as I can and change it out to the next clean one as soon as it gets too noisy. I have Taya, SRAM, KNC, Campagnolo and Wippermann Connex that I have been running. I do use the Park chain checker tool to just see if there is any significant wear showing up. The SRAM and KNC chains always seem to run really quiet but reach the point of 1.0% wear on my gauge pretty quickly. The Campy c-9 nine speed chain and the Wippermann Connex stainless 10 speed chain are the opposite. They show almost no wear after 1,000 miles or more each but both are kind of tight and noisy. After waxing they quiet down for a while but both have gearing combinations where they sound coarse and "gnash-y". I have decided to ignore this sound as normal since they seem to run great and be super slow to wear.

Just wondering what others would say about Campy and Wippermann chains for Shimano. BTW, I am installing the master links with the correct orientation. I wasn't sure if either of these chains are directional though. They don't appear to be,.
Just to get the obvious out of the way, what's your objection to Shimano chains?
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 09-18-21, 06:06 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
I recommend a Shimano 11s chain for a 10s drivetrain.
Old 09-18-21, 07:33 PM
masi61

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Just to get the obvious out of the way, what's your objection to Shimano chains?
No objection. I think I just enjoyed trying out some other brands. I have a few 6600 chains for 10 speed, maybe one 7700 9-speed chain in my parts stash.
Old 09-18-21, 07:35 PM
masi61

Originally Posted by Kimmo
I recommend a Shimano 11s chain for a 10s drivetrain.
Interesting. What about this set up makes an 11 speed chain run well w/ 10 speed cassettes?
Old 09-19-21, 01:15 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Interesting. What about this set up makes an 11 speed chain run well w/ 10 speed cassettes?
Same internal width and narrower outer width, yet more bushing area because 11s uses separate bushings instead of them being formed from the inner plates. So less chain rub and longer life.
Old 09-19-21, 06:39 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Can't say much about Campagnolo or Wipperman chains with Shimano drivetrains, but I recently installed a Wipperman chain on my 10 speed Campagnolo drivetrain and it is by far the quietest running chain I have ever had on that bike. Previously I had Campagnolo or KMC chains. I am told that the Wipperman chain is more durable than a KMC, good thing because it was quite a bit more expensive
Old 09-19-21, 06:44 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Jangly chain noise is pretty common with dry waxed chains. Just the compromise we make for using wax rather than wet lubes. They're quiet for the first ride after a fresh waxing, but quickly sound jangly in any gear combo other than the middle cogs.
Old 09-19-21, 06:47 AM
masi61

Originally Posted by canklecat
Jangly chain noise is pretty common with dry waxed chains. Just the compromise we make for using wax rather than wet lubes. They're quiet for the first ride after a fresh waxing, but quickly sound jangly in any gear combo other than the middle cogs.
yeah, this has pretty much been my experience. As far as I can tell a slightly jangly chain can still be ridden fine for a few more rides.
Old 09-19-21, 07:03 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Happens with Rock 'n' Roll Absolute Dry too. It appear to be just PTFE powder in naphtha. When the naphtha clears out the original chain lube and evaporates, it just leaves the PTFE powder. Still slick, but jangly.

To compare I've also used Rock 'n' Roll Gold, which seems to add a little oil. It does run quieter. I just got some Rock 'n' Roll Extreme, the blue stuff intended for mountain bikes. Haven't ridden it yet, no idea whether it's quieter.

None of the Rock 'n' Roll lubes run as clean as dry wax. They're good and handy, but not nearly as clean as wax. Cleaner than wet lubes though.

I should go back to dry wax. It worked great. I misplaced my chain waxing kit last year while rearranging my apartment, can't find that crock pot, Gulf wax and container of dry PTFE powder I ordered from China, waited weeks for, and promptly forgot.

Ditto, the quicker wear of the mid-priced KMC chains, whether wet lubed or waxed. I like 'em and use 'em, the Missing Links are handy, but they don't last as long. I get about a year or a few thousand miles with my older 7 and 8-speed bikes. Can't really complain for the price. I haven't tried the KMC premium chains.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 09-19-21, 05:31 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 456 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Same internal width and narrower outer width, yet more bushing area because 11s uses separate bushings instead of them being formed from the inner plates. So less chain rub and longer life.
Interesting. I wasn't aware of that.

Do you happen to know if the same is true of SRAM 11s chains?