Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shoe covers

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Shoe covers

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-21, 12:35 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Shoe covers

With the winter coming, I need to replace some old shoe covers. Need some suggestions for really warm ones, maybe under 60 bucks. The temps get into the 20's and 30's here in GA, so I need ones that will be warm enough for that, and work with both road and SPD shoes.

Suggestions?

Dave
Old 10-28-21, 01:02 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22573 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
You want booties. These are typically neoprene on the outside and fleece linings on the inside. Most major manufacturers of bike clothing/accessories make them. Plain "shoe covers" that don't have a lining are ok around freezing to 40F but for colder temps you want booties. They typically have a cutout that will work with all types of cleats.
Old 10-28-21, 02:27 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Don't most work with both SPD and SPD-SL cleats or look-a-likes? The bigger thing I've found is that mountain bike shoes I've had in the past are wider externally than the typical road bike shoe. I think just because the tread on them was wider to give more balance for walking.

So if you have different types of shoes, take note if their external dimensions are bigger or not. And then if you want one pair for both, size to the biggest set of shoes.

My new SPD shoes are more typical outside dimensions to SPD-SL type shoes.

I still use the Pearl Izumi booties I bought many years ago. However I don't usually ride in 20°F temps. I know, I'm a wuss for not being more determined to ride.

Last edited by Iride01; 10-28-21 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-28-21, 03:21 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
I'd look thru the offerings from GripGrab
Decent amount of options to choose from
https://www.gripgrab.com/collections/shoe-covers
Old 10-28-21, 03:47 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
I check with my LBS to see what they've got in stock. I'm generally looking for neoprene and a heavy-duty (lookin') zipper. If I get three winters out of them, I'm pretty happy. Current booties are from Endura (Road II, I think) and I think that the previous were Castelli. Both fine down to 20° with good socks.
Old 10-28-21, 04:49 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by Iride01
Don't most work with both SPD and SPD-SL cleats or look-a-likes? The bigger thing I've found is that mountain bike shoes I've had in the past are wider externally than the typical road bike shoe. I think just because the tread on them was wider to give more balance for walking.

So if you have different types of shoes, take note if their external dimensions are bigger or not. And then if you want one pair for both, size to the biggest set of shoes.

My new SPD shoes are more typical outside dimensions to SPD-SL type shoes.

I still use the Pearl Izumi booties I bought many years ago. However I don't usually ride in 20°F temps. I know, I'm a wuss for not being more determined to ride.
I'm not aware of any difference with shoe covers being road or SPD specific, though I have seen some products advertised as only for road, so it makes you wonder. Maybe the material is more delicate?

Dave
Old 10-28-21, 05:02 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I check with my LBS to see what they've got in stock. I'm generally looking for neoprene and a heavy-duty (lookin') zipper. If I get three winters out of them, I'm pretty happy. Current booties are from Endura (Road II, I think) and I think that the previous were Castelli. Both fine down to 20° with good socks.
Are these similar to what you have?
Endura

$33 is a pretty good deal if shipping isn't too much. From reading the reviews they run small? What size did you get?

Dave
Old 10-28-21, 05:27 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,170 Posts
Ive used now discontinued Performance brand XXL neoprene booties for a long time, they've held up well. The XXL fits over my size 46 mt. bike shoes. Good for temps in the 20's (F). Its going to be hit and miss as to what will fit over bulky mt. bike shoes if thats what you need to do.
Old 10-28-21, 07:28 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by bonsai171
Endura

$33 is a pretty good deal if shipping isn't too much. From reading the reviews they run small? What size did you get?

Dave
I have the version II. I have XL - they fit nice and snug over my size 45 road shoes. They are a great big pain in the ass to get over my size 45 MTB shoes, but they do go over 'em.
Old 10-28-21, 07:40 PM
bonsai171

I have the version II. I have XL - they fit nice and snug over my size 45 road shoes. They are a great big pain in the ass to get over my size 45 MTB shoes, but they do go over 'em.
My road shoes are 44.5, and SPD shoes are 45. Sounds like I should go with the XL also? I'm thinking to size up a little since my size is right on the edge of their specs, plus I want to run these with SPD shoes too (and not have to return product overseas).

Think that's a plan?

Dave
Old 10-28-21, 07:49 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Windblocking cloth booties aren't very durable with my SPD mountain bike shoes. The toes and portions over the soles get ripped up, even on road riding. Road cleats project farther out and help protect the bottoms.

I got some Louis Garneau cloth booties that don't have a full length zipper or velcro at the back. These are sturdier, I suppose. But they are extremely annoying to put on:

1. remove the bike shoes. The bootie opening is way too small to pull on over my shoes.
2. pull on the booties up past my ankles.
3. put on shoes.
4. pull booties down while pulling the toe box outward, over the shoe.
5. pull down the heel.
6. secure the velcro across the bottom of the instep.
7. close the small adjuster velcro at the top of the bootie.

Like this diagram from GripGrab -- they call these "collarless"

~~~~
My older, ripped up and repaired booties just slide on the shoe, zip up the back, go ride. Fast and easy. (the zippers never failed, it was the retaining elastic and fabric at the heel, now with heavy duty sewing store elastic sewed on.
Old 10-28-21, 07:55 PM
WhyFi

My road shoes are 44.5, and SPD shoes are 45. Sounds like I should go with the XL also? I'm thinking to size up a little since my size is right on the edge of their specs, plus I want to run these with SPD shoes too (and not have to return product overseas).

Think that's a plan?

Dave
Yeah, I would think you're good - my MTB shoes are Shimano jobbers that are kind of casual-looking and definitely on the chunky side.
Old 10-29-21, 01:01 AM
sw20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
Endura

Dave
I have these and they kept my feet warm throughout the UK winter, I sized up and they are still a PITA to put on and take off, in heavy rain my feet got wet but i suppose they're not really designed for that!
Old 10-29-21, 02:27 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
This winter I'm finally doing what I've been telling myself for years to do and get some winter shoes. I run spd pedals on my vintage bikes (and mtb) and road pedals on my modern road bikes. I'm going to buy some Lake MXZ 176's probably today and just run the spd pedals on all my bikes this winter. They'll also be good for rain rides. If I wasn't cheap I'd buy the road version as well but I'm tired of messing around with booties, toe covers and everything else.

Old 10-29-21, 04:00 AM
bonsai171

Yeah, I would think you're good - my MTB shoes are Shimano jobbers that are kind of casual-looking and definitely on the chunky side.
Very cool, I just ordered them. Only $10 for shipping, so not bad at all.

Dave
Old 10-29-21, 12:00 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I always overheat after a while in shoe covers. I've tried a few different ones and ultimately gave up on the concept. They're great until a sustained effort and then I just can't dump enough heat.
Old 10-30-21, 06:08 AM
FireWaterBoy

Bikes: Pinarello Galileo 2003

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 17 Posts
I find the the neoprene toe covers to be amazing on a chilly autumn ride. No overheating!
Old 10-31-21, 03:47 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
With the winter coming, I need to replace some old shoe covers. Need some suggestions for really warm ones, maybe under 60 bucks. The temps get into the 20's and 30's here in GA, so I need ones that will be warm enough for that, and work with both road and SPD shoes.

Suggestions?

Dave
I live and ride in Minnesota and I ride all the way through the winter as long as it's above -5F.

For cold weather, the only thing I've found so far that keeps my feet warm in temps in the 20's and 30's is winter specific footwear. Specifically, I have Northwave shoes that are insulated. Those work pretty well and if they do get cold then I add neoprene toe warms to the front. The best toe warmers come from Spatzwear.

But keeping your feet warm really relies on a whole body layering strategy. First off, you have to keep your core warm, you have to keep your legs warm, and then you start worrying about your feet. If you start off chilled, and if your legs are cold then you wind up fighting a losing battle keeping the blood warm that gets to your feet. If you don't do that, it really won't matter what shoe covers you have or insulated shoes for that matter.

The warmest shoe covers I have used and seen are the (pick your favorites) from Spatzwear. These go up to just below your knee and specifically are aimed at keeping the pipes that feed your feet warm. They're easy to put on and they work fine with either mtb or road shoes. The other ones are the insulated ones from Pearl Izumi. They're actually quilted with insulation inside. The best toe warmers I have ever used are from Spatzwear and they come all the way up to almost the top of your shoe where most others only come up about half way. They really work well.

Sock choice is key. You don't need thick socks but you do need socks that wick well and have some wool content instead of pure synthetic. For this I use the Pursuit socks from Swiftwick. They are thin enough that they work very well in cycling shoes and they have high Merino wool content.

All that said, I think you're going to have a hard time keeping your feet truly warm for $60.

J.
Likes For JohnJ80: