Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Schrader and Presta valves

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-21, 06:51 AM
Funkywheels63

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Good morning all. I was at walmart recently, looking over their bicycle inventory to see if they had the inner tubes for my bike. I saw that they had the tube, but it came with a presta valve. My bike has the shrader type. will the presta fit in my rim? I have a Marin hybrid bike. also, why would they design two different types of valves? Thanks
Old 11-08-21, 07:09 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Funkywheels63
Good morning all. I was at walmart recently, looking over their bicycle inventory to see if they had the inner tubes for my bike. I saw that they had the tube, but it came with a presta valve. My bike has the shrader type. will the presta fit in my rim? I have a Marin hybrid bike. also, why would they design two different types of valves? Thanks
There are two different valve types because three would be too confusing.

The hole in the rim for Schrader is larger than for Presta, so in a pinch you can stick a presta tube in a Schrader rim to get you home (I would not pump it up to high pressures, though), but it is not optimal and I would definitely buy a Schrader tube instead for your rims.

Last edited by Kapusta; 11-08-21 at 07:12 AM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 11-08-21, 07:15 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
presta valve adapter for schrader rim - Google Search

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 11-08-21, 07:23 AM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
My understanding is you can use a presta valved tube in a schrader rim, though best to use a presta/schrader grommet to prevent the valve stem moving around.

Why was presta invented? Supposedly to allow for narrower rims than schrader or dunlop valves.
Old 11-08-21, 07:41 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 684 Times in 440 Posts
First, don't buy your tubes at Walmart. Even your LBS is unlikely to have good ones. If you stick with Continental, Schwalbe, or other top brands you're going to have a lot fewer flats. I've had Kenda tubes not make it out of my driveway, for example, and those QTubes that are sold everywhere are also cheap made-in-China garbage. The difference in price is well worth it.

If you had to use a Presta tube in a Schrader rim with the bigger hole, it might get you home in an emergency but you really don't want to leave it like that. Even those adapters are not ideal. Just buy the right tube for your wheel, which in this case is Schrader. I love these tubes for my Schrader bikes - they even have a threaded stem with a screw-on locking ring like a Presta valve, which I really like.

Schwalbe AV13 MTB Inner Tubes - 26in x 1.50-2.40, Schrader Valve (2 Pack)
Old 11-08-21, 07:42 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
I have also heard that, while using a sleeve as mentioned in post ## is the preferred method, if you tighten the knurled nut on the Presta valve as tight as possible, it will help keep the valve from rubbing on the rim and abrading a hole or slice.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 11-08-21, 07:46 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
^ further, there is a type of knurled nut that has a flange on one side that just fits within a Schrader-sized hole. This will self center the Presta stem.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 11-08-21, 08:20 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
I have an old 26" MTB wheelset where one rim is drilled for Presta and the other for Schrader. The tubes are both Presta and I just use a simple aluminum adapter for the rim that is drilled out wider.
That wheelset has been on 3 bikes over the span of over a decade and the adapter has always been fine. Its on one of my kids' MTBs right now and I have no reason to think it will suddenly explode.

This is just commenting based on prior posting over how the adapter/grommet isnt ideal. Sure, a new wheelset is more ideal...but with that thinking, an entirely new modern MTB is also ideal. Use doesnt justify either though.
Old 11-08-21, 08:24 AM
Jeff Neese

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
^ further, there is a type of knurled nut that has a flange on one side that just fits within a Schrader-sized hole. This will self center the Presta stem.
Yes, those hacks are available. But so are Schrader tubes. It's a lot easier and better to just buy the right tube for your wheel, instead of buying gizmos to make a Presta tube fit. I prefer Presta valves myself, but I have bikes with Schrader too and it's not a problem. They both work perfectly fine, so just buy the ones that are supposed to go in that wheel.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 11-08-21, 08:36 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
There are two different valve types because three would be too confusing.
The always-overlooked Woods valve cries in the corner...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 11-08-21, 08:50 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Yes, those hacks are available. But so are Schrader tubes. It's a lot easier and better to just buy the right tube for your wheel, instead of buying gizmos to make a Presta tube fit. I prefer Presta valves myself, but I have bikes with Schrader too and it's not a problem. They both work perfectly fine, so just buy the ones that are supposed to go in that wheel.
The issue for me would be more, if I went to some stores and only Presta were available ... or maybe this guy didn't want to try six different stores to see who carried what at that time. The "hacks" aren't like "Duct-tape it in place and hope it holds" type hacks ... they are viable solutions and in fact were designed for those very situations.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 11-08-21, 09:13 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6215 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
First, don't buy your tubes at Walmart. Even your LBS is unlikely to have good ones. If you stick with Continental, Schwalbe, or other top brands you're going to have a lot fewer flats. I've had Kenda tubes not make it out of my driveway, for example, and those QTubes that are sold everywhere are also cheap made-in-China garbage. The difference in price is well worth it.
The number and frequency of flats has nothing to do with who makes the tube. Flats are random events and no tube unless it is a heavy thorn resistant tube is going to stop a puncture. Even the thorn resistant tubes aren’t impervious and usually not worth the extra weight.

If you had to use a Presta tube in a Schrader rim with the bigger hole, it might get you home in an emergency but you really don't want to leave it like that. Even those adapters are not ideal.
People have used Scharader to Presta adapters for decades without any harmful side effects. Even the simple Presta to Schrader nut is an effective and safe method for the adaptation.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 11-08-21, 09:14 AM
Jeff Neese

Originally Posted by Maelochs
The issue for me would be more, if I went to some stores and only Presta were available ... or maybe this guy didn't want to try six different stores to see who carried what at that time. The "hacks" aren't like "Duct-tape it in place and hope it holds" type hacks ... they are viable solutions and in fact were designed for those very situations.
If I were touring off the beaten path, I might carry one of those adapters just in case a Presta tube were somehow the only thing available. But if the OP is looking to just buy a spare, he should buy the right ones. There's no reason to "decide" to convert from Schrader to Presta. Do it in a pinch if you have to but then order the right tube.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 11-08-21, 09:22 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Years ago, I used one of those rubber grommet adapters when I finally decided to standardize my valve types for pumping convenience. It worked like a charm and I never had any problems with it. Presta is just easier to pump.
Likes For kahn:
Old 11-08-21, 09:39 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6190 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
If you haven't used it already, I'd take it back and get one with the correct valve. Walmart sells Bell tubes and in the 700C sizes they make both Schrader and presta valve models. Might be the same for others too.

Since Schrader's are used typically on wider width rims then I might also double check that you got the tubes width range is proper for the width of your tires. Even if it is, why bother with an adapter or something to make it fit when Walmart has such an easy return policy.
Old 11-08-21, 09:43 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
I buy mine at Amazon or bike shops. make sure you get the right size

700 x 40-45
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

700 x 20-25
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 11-08-21, 09:59 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 180 Posts
"why would they design two different types of valves? Thanks" There isn't a "they" involved here. Presta valves were standard in European countries while Schrader valves were standard in the US. I first saw them in the 1970s while working in a bike shop as we imported bicycles from Italy and France. They came with presta valves. Most of the racers I knew also used them on high pressure.narrow, sew-up tires. It was easier to pump them up with the frame pumps available at that time as you didn't have to also overcome the pressure required to open the spring loaded Schrader valve. I've used them exclusively since then and never broke a valve pumping up a tube that was on a rim drilled for the Schrader valve. I did install the "valve saver" spacer on some wheels and always carry a valve adapter.
Old 11-08-21, 10:20 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
How well adapter work or do not work is a bit beside the point in the OPs case. He should just buy tubes with the proper valve type for his rim.

But I am sure this discussion will still go on for pages.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 11-08-21, 12:16 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
The number and frequency of flats has nothing to do with who makes the tube. Flats are random events and no tube unless it is a heavy thorn resistant tube is going to stop a puncture. Even the thorn resistant tubes aren’t impervious and usually not worth the extra weight.
Actually... I think my two most recent fails were structural. One was at the junction where the valve stem meets the tube, another was a couple of very small, slow leak holes along a manufacturing seam. There may have been some "circumstantial causes," but not that I could find. I think it was the admittedly-low-cost tubes. Will never know for sure. Or care <snicker>
Old 11-08-21, 12:18 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

I'm actually a little surprised OP found Presta but not Schrader tubes at his Wal-Mart. I'd assume it would be the other way around.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 11-08-21, 12:24 PM
Jeff Neese

Originally Posted by cyccommute
The number and frequency of flats has nothing to do with who makes the tube. Flats are random events ......
Well that is certainly not true. Cheaper tubes have less consistent seams, more variation in the rubber thickness, lower quality of the valve materials, and the QA is by sampling rather than testing each tube. I've had more than one QTube come apart at a seam, and lots of Kendas or other cheap tubes that just didn't hold air very well, even overnight. And, better tires do have better puncture resistance.

I switched to "premium" tubes a while ago and never looked back. I have a lot fewer flats and I don't have to pump up my tires as often.
Old 11-08-21, 03:00 PM
Funkywheels63

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Thanks every one for your input. yep, they only had the size for my bike with the presta valve. looked high and low. saw the inner tube with the correct valve on Amazon. so, will purchase on line. another question, can you ride with a patch tube indefinitely? if you can, would you, or would you stick a new tube on? Pros and cons. thanks again
Old 11-08-21, 03:10 PM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Yes you can ride on properly patched tube as long as you wish. Some folks will patch and swap tubes so their spare is the unpatched one.

Personally I tend to just replace vs patch since it's all of $9 for a tube of the size I use since I don't get flats often and the cost is all of $9 at REI or LBS.

Do put a little air in any brand new tube and leave it overnight to make sure there's no major defects.
Likes For gpburdell:
Old 11-08-21, 03:21 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Thanks every one for your input. yep, they only had the size for my bike with the presta valve. looked high and low. saw the inner tube with the correct valve on Amazon. so, will purchase on line. another question, can you ride with a patch tube indefinitely?
Sure, once you've got the process down it's kind of fun to see how long you can keep a tube going, or how many patches you can accumulate on a tube before something irreparable takes it out of service.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-08-21, 03:38 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6190 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
I flat rarely. So I too just replace the tube. The glue and patches I kept in my saddle bag just took up space and the glue was dried up by the time I needed it. Or, since I only patched once every couple years, I just did a crappy job from inexperience and the patch leaked.

If I flatted often I'd probably patch and use patched tubes till the patches needed patching.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.