Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

A warning for Boeshield T9

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

A warning for Boeshield T9

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-21, 11:29 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Corrosion 'resistant' isn't corrosion proof, just like water resistant isn't water proof. And you don't think stainless steel is corrosion proof do you?
Sorry, I do not appreciate the tone. Stainless steel corrodes, but so slowly that it does not matter for a multitude of applications, including on the bike.
Old 11-15-21, 01:01 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
The instructions were pretty simple. Apply, let dry and wipe off excess. Maybe in some circles, that's challenging.
Over a summer-long tour, I was cavalier about wiping the chain off after lubing with T-9 (had other things to do besides watching the clock). That resulted in packing wax on the derailer pulleys.

A few years later, Lon Haldeman clued me in on how to apply the stuff: spray or squirt it on and wipe everything that'll come off immediately afterwards. No problems since then.
Old 11-15-21, 03:01 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
Sorry, I do not appreciate the tone. Stainless steel corrodes, but so slowly that it does not matter for a multitude of applications, including on the bike.
Oh well...
Old 11-15-21, 05:23 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Some people are secure enough to be gracious about their expertise. Others, not so much.
Old 11-15-21, 05:42 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
That's just the way I am, sorry it doesn't work for you, or him.
Old 11-15-21, 05:54 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,015 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Over a summer-long tour, I was cavalier about wiping the chain off after lubing with T-9 (had other things to do besides watching the clock). That resulted in packing wax on the derailer pulleys.

A few years later, Lon Haldeman clued me in on how to apply the stuff: spray or squirt it on and wipe everything that'll come off immediately afterwards. No problems since then.
Before going the waxed chain route, I applied Boeshield T-9 (and other lube, e.g., Rock N Roll) the same way: a few drops per chain roller, let sit for a while, then backpedal the chain through a tightly held rag to thoroughly wipe it. Repeat as necessary. Using more lube without targeting where it needs to go makes a mess and requires one to buy lube sooner.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 11-17-21, 10:12 PM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb

That makes sense. I used it through a year of commuting and didn’t have any buildup problem. What I did discover was that it required too much care and relubing through daily wet weather riding compared to Finish Lines Wet Lube.