Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Things we do that don't really have a practical purpose

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Things we do that don't really have a practical purpose

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-21, 10:13 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by mhespenheide
I'd not heard that lugged frames were stronger -- just that they were more easily repairable. Fillet brazed were acknowledged as a reasonable alternative, and tig'ed steel was marginally acceptable but unaesthetic and unrepairable. Not mentioning the fact that there are plenty of vintage frames that frankly, weren't made all that well to start with and a properly mitered set of tubes tig'ed together by a skilled welder is almost certainly better than sloppy lugs without the right penetration by the brass.
He who must not be named used to claim so. As for more easily repairable, that's true, but almost nobody sweats out a tube and brazes a new one in - it's a lot easier and cheaper just to find another used frame (IMO). Lugged frames are pretty robust, maybe the least amount of skill required to make a useable frame? You can do a crappy miter job and still have a relatively strong frame, fillet brazed and TIG welded frames require more precision.

Lugs do look better, IMO. They highlight the joints, especially when contrasting colors are used. One can get fancy with cutouts. People don't stare at TIG'ed or fillet brazed joints like a beautiful thinned lug.

Last edited by gugie; 12-22-21 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-22-21, 10:51 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,463 Times in 1,130 Posts
I would have a difficult time convincing many of my neighbors that my bike rides have a practical purpose, except perhaps my trips into town to pick up the mail and buy groceries. I suppose I could claim that the practical purposes are to stay healthy, avoid weight gain, etc. but those things really don't motivate me.

In fact I'd have a difficult time convincing my self of any practical purposes... and perhaps that's the beauty of the thing!
Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 12-23-21, 07:25 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
I would have a difficult time convincing many of my neighbors that my bike rides have a practical purpose, except perhaps my trips into town to pick up the mail and buy groceries. I suppose I could claim that the practical purposes are to stay healthy, avoid weight gain, etc. but those things really don't motivate me.
I once had a co-worker (who, btw, was grossly overweight and owned 5 cars in a two-driver household) ask me why I cycled to work. "Is it some environmental reason, or are you just a tightwad?" he asked. Neither, I said. I cycle because it brings me joy and happiness. He kinda raised his eyebrows and stared at me skeptically. Apparently Americans find no "practical purpose" for joy and happiness. Maybe that's why a friend of ours once told my wife and I that we seemed more European than American.

Last edited by johnnyace; 12-23-21 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-23-21, 12:49 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 2,513 Times in 1,051 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace
I once had a co-worker (who, btw, was grossly overweight and owned 5 cars in a two-driver household) ask me why I cycled to work. "Is it some environmental reason, or are you just a tightwad?" he asked. Neither, I said. I cycle because it brings me joy and happiness. He kinda raised his eyebrows and stared at me skeptically. Apparently Americans find no "practical purpose" for joy and happiness. Maybe that's why a friend of ours once told my wife and I that we seemed more European than American.
Many years ago in a "Doonesbury" strip, then-radical lefty Mark was in one of his periodic verbal contretemps with his uber-conservative father. Mark was talking about getting wanting to get enjoyment out of his work and life. His father roared at Mark: "Life isn't to be enjoyed! It's to be gotten on with!"

That may not be the exact quote, but it's pretty close.
Old 12-23-21, 11:52 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
He who must not be named used to claim so. As for more easily repairable, that's true, but almost nobody sweats out a tube and brazes a new one in - it's a lot easier and cheaper just to find another used frame (IMO). Lugged frames are pretty robust, maybe the least amount of skill required to make a useable frame? You can do a crappy miter job and still have a relatively strong frame, fillet brazed and TIG welded frames require more precision.

Lugs do look better, IMO. They highlight the joints, especially when contrasting colors are used. One can get fancy with cutouts. People don't stare at TIG'ed or fillet brazed joints like a beautiful thinned lug.
I totally agree that most repairs aren't cost-effective. No idea which method is more challenging to do well; I'll defer to your expertise there.

I happen to really appreciate the look of a good fillet-brazed frame. Maybe just because I've seen so few of them; it just looks so organic and smooth when done well. But I don't know how many really-top-level lugged frames I've seen, either. I'm sure a DiNucci or Bruce Gordon would blow me away if I had the time to appreciate it. On the third hand, I also love a good stack-of-dimes TIG weld on titanium or on a racing bike, so maybe I'm just hopeless with bicycle aesthetics as long as it's not blobby carbon.
Old 12-24-21, 01:49 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace
I always tell those kind of folks that I am cheap but biking isn't, then I tell them I'm so lazy that its the only way I get any exercise.

The joy and happiness rationale is lost on them so I just add it in my head.

Their befuddlement is often palpable, you can usually hear their mental gears stripping wildly by this point.
Likes For merziac:
Old 12-24-21, 02:36 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 884 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Many years ago in a "Doonesbury" strip, then-radical lefty Mark was in one of his periodic verbal contretemps with his uber-conservative father. Mark was talking about getting wanting to get enjoyment out of his work and life. His father roared at Mark: "Life isn't to be enjoyed! It's to be gotten on with!"

That may not be the exact quote, but it's pretty close.
Reminds me of a line by Geena Davis in "The Long Kiss Goodnight". "Life is pain. Get used to it."
Old 12-24-21, 10:04 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3170 Post(s)
Liked 1,827 Times in 1,153 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
There's seven deadly sins...and then there's that lesser one, in small print called Stridency. Ask me how I know.
How do you know?
Old 12-24-21, 11:15 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,253 Posts
How dare you question me? I know what I know so don't suggest otherwise!

(I meant to write 'Don't ask me how I know,' duh)
Old 12-24-21, 11:38 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 541 Posts
Man, some of you cats have crazy ideas about things. I do too soooo…
- A new part on a well patinated bike. Saddles and pedals for example. It’s just wrong.
- The valve stem needs to point perfectly to the center of the hub. The front and rear valve stem caps must be in place and match one another.
- I detest modern tire sidewalls with too much branding on vintage bikes. “Whizzbang Tire 2.4.1 Multi Aramid Construction” “whizzbangtires.com”. I don’t want my old bike to have anything dot com on it.
- I don’t know why but I carryover a food philosophy of “if it grows together, it goes together”. A high-end Italian frame with Shimano components seems odd.
Likes For RustyJames: