Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Chilly but fun

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Chilly but fun

Old 01-14-22, 02:37 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
Chilly but fun

Went out today for a nice ride. I have not been on the bike consistently for about two months so I am trying to get out for a ride often. Headed out on my usual warm-up leg and got hit in the face with a strong wind so decided to get up on the Greenway so the trees would break up the wind. That worked but the trees also shielded the sun so on the way back it got cold. Fun but cold 15 miles and I feel good. Starting to add a few miles to each ride and not blow out my knee again.
Be safe all, Frank.
Likes For Helderberg:
Old 01-14-22, 05:24 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg
Starting to add a few miles to each ride and not blow out my knee again.
but yeah, knees don't like cold
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 01-14-22, 07:45 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
but yeah, knees don't like cold
I’ve taken to always wearing sweatpants on rides at 60F and below, just to help keep my knees warm. Sometimes my legs get sweaty, but I figure it’s good to be cautious. Sorry, that’s really low-tech, I know, and I even use my old steel ankle bands to keep the cuffs out of the way. 😊

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 01-14-22, 08:21 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
I wear leggings beneath nylon sweat pants and a balaclava over a sweat band. My windproof riding jacket with just a T underneath has been good enough down to 30° F. Can't stand getting cold but don't mind sweating up a storm. Except today I ended up carrying my bike back (4.83 miles) when I got a flat (small sharp stone) and my spare was a patched tube that didn't hold air. My bad. My shoulder was killing me by the time I got home. I even took my gloves off and used them for a shoulder pad. Replaced both tire and tube with new and now carry a new, never opened shrink wrapped tube for a spare haha.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 01-16-22, 01:10 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Good ride! I’ve ridden once the last couple weeks. Weather, back issues, birthday celebrations, house projects etc. I wish we had your network of greenways close by.
Old 01-16-22, 01:31 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
I’ve taken to always wearing sweatpants on rides at 60F and below, just to help keep my knees warm. Sometimes my legs get sweaty, but I figure it’s good to be cautious.
Good reminder. It's something a lot of people never do (use such tights/sweats).

Did that myself, in the 1980s and 1990s, when doing performance running and lots of cycling. Under 60ºF sometimes, certainly when under 50ºF, I used some mid-weight wicking-type tights that were exceptional at providing just enough heat, just enough support, such that minor aches in the knees and leg muscles were largely eliminated. In warm weather, could easily do very hard workouts, even over great distances, but if cooler then I found those tights worked wonders. (Can't recall the brand/model of tights I used. Kept a couple pairs in rotation. They were almost like terry cloth, but of a denser weaver, made of a wicking material that was lighter than wool but had much of the warming effect wool can have.)
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 01-16-22, 06:58 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Originally Posted by jppe
Good ride! I’ve ridden once the last couple weeks. Weather, back issues, birthday celebrations, house projects etc. I wish we had your network of greenways close by.
We have some nice trails around here but I wish they would connect them. If the state would just add a total of about 10 miles of trail I could easily do 100 miles and never have to deal with a car. Allegedly the state is working on this but at the rate NC's gov't moves I will be long dead before they even break ground.
Frank.
Old 01-16-22, 08:13 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

We have some nice trails around here but I wish they would connect them. If the state would just add a total of about 10 miles of trail I could easily do 100 miles and never have to deal with a car. Allegedly the state is working on this but at the rate NC's gov't moves I will be long dead before they even break ground.
Frank.
A lot of states work with clubs that can do fund raisers or write grants to generate funding for such projects and basically take on the project with the state doing the over viewing to make sure it is something they want to maintain if the club abandons it or even finishes it but then things change and the club drops the upkeep, basically leaving it to the state to maintain. I've been involved in many off road hiking and ATV projects and have written lots of grant requests that were successful to fund said projects. NC has a timber industry so there is always grant money coming from that for different varying projects. You might want to look into this if you're serious about building something for the public's good, which a bike trail definitely is.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 01-18-22, 05:19 AM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 60 Posts
Adding mileage slowly is definitely the way to go. When I was stateside anything below 60f was a leg warmer day. Have fun, and be safe!
Likes For Jumpski:
Old 01-18-22, 10:06 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 3,008 Posts
My cool weather bike clothes are good to a temp of 42-43 any lower I stay home. It is blasting hot most of they year down here.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 01-18-22, 11:06 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
My cool weather bike clothes are good to a temp of 42-43 any lower I stay home. It is blasting hot most of they year down here.
Ah, just so you know, those aren't 'cool' weather clothes. haha
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 01-19-22, 11:07 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 299 Posts
It was -22F here in the great white north this past weekend so there wasn't enough clothes on the planet to bike comfortably! i know that's not but true but I chose to X country ski and play outdoor ice hockey instead.
Likes For gthomson:
Old 01-19-22, 07:31 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts
In calm conditions, I'm good to about 35*f. I have zero desire to encounter ice or snow. With any wind = 40* min.

Last few seasons have added winter shoes, fleece lined bib tights (with a front zipper allowing for longer rides). Decent clothing makes it hard to come up with excuses when the temps dip. Once out on the road, always glad to have made the effort. Extends the riding season; important, as I've muchly given up the ski season.
Old 01-20-22, 02:08 AM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
Im ok to the low 30s. I don't have to ride but i like to and prefer cooler to hotter so below 80 but above 35.
Likes For JehD:
Old 01-20-22, 09:41 AM
Helderberg

One of the problems I have with cold rides is my eyes. They water like crazy and it really screws up my vision so I don't feel safe. I have tried wearing covers over my glasses but my glasses are too large. Other than that, once I have broken my inertia to stay warm and home I am very glad to be out on the bike.
Frank.
Old 01-20-22, 11:34 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

One of the problems I have with cold rides is my eyes. They water like crazy and it really screws up my vision so I don't feel safe. I have tried wearing covers over my glasses but my glasses are too large. Other than that, once I have broken my inertia to stay warm and home I am very glad to be out on the bike.
Frank.
I have 2 pair of glasses that tint. One pair is aviator style, larger lenses and sits higher up my nose (closer to my eyes) and when I wear them my eyes are fine. When I wear the other pair, slightly smaller lenses and rest further down my nose, my eyes water terribly. Talking cold weather only. Thought I'd throw that out there. And then there are always goggles, but unless you're moving they tend to fog up.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 01-20-22, 12:17 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 3,008 Posts
Top out at 35 today and for here that is cold. I would ride but I don’t have the clothing. Not worth investing the $ because winter doesn’t last long. It was 80 yesterday. We have crazy temperature swings in winter it will drive you crazy.
Likes For Hondo Gravel: