Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Dutch invasion (or show us your DUTCH bikes)

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Dutch invasion (or show us your DUTCH bikes)

Old 04-28-21, 01:40 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2322 Post(s)
Liked 4,925 Times in 1,760 Posts
I guess I never shared the Duell Vienna here.

Got it as a frameset

Built it up with Campagnolo Super Record/Record parts.
Old 04-28-21, 03:10 PM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 997 Times in 355 Posts
Colors and fork make it a Dutch Fausto Coppi by Masciaghi. Beautiful.
Old 05-01-21, 11:53 AM
Hajo

Bikes: Several Gazelle Team steel bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 31 Posts
Today I have completed my most extensive bike rebuilt ever. It all started in August 2018 when I came across a rather neglected Gazelle Special frame from 1996. The seller mentioned in his advert the frame was formerly owned by a famous world champion in sports, it took my interest and so I wrote an extensive message why I had to own this frame. Even though I had no clue who that famous pre-owner was, I was very happy to get a message a few days later I had been chosen to buy this frame. And so I went on to pick it up.

I was told by the seller the seat post was stuck in the frame, but since it was all there I decided it would be an easy job getting it out. How wrong could I be ... Anyway, the world famous pre-owner of this frame was none other than Ard Schenk, world champion ice skating in the 1970's. That made this deal even more interesting for me, as I always like a bike with a good story attached to it.

Most parts had already been taken off the frame, but still the bottom bracket was left in it, so I knew which groupset belonged on the bike when given to Ard Schenk (I presume he never had to buy a bike, good PR from Gazelle made sure he always had one). It was a Shimano Dura Ace 7400/7410 groupset. I managed to get hold of the set quite easily, from a guy that had only used it indoors with his Tacx trainer. Lovely condition!

Still the issue with the stuck seatpost. After using a hacksaw, a bath with some chemicals in it and some other tricks it was still VERY stuck indeed ...

So I called in the cavalry and sent the frame to M-gineering, who replaced the whole seat tube! The first serious bill was on its way, but I was determined to get this on-of-a-kind bike back on the road.

Then the frame was sent on to the paint shop, who not only painted the entire frame a lovely shade of green, but also rechromed the front fork and the rear stays. Another expensive job ...

So at last the actuel rebuilt could get started. I came across a lot of problems, which slowed me down considerably. My NOS wheelset I bought had a small plastic bearing cover fitted incorrect in the rear hub, so it broke on assembly of the cassette. It took me 3 months to find a replacement. Also the cable guide on the bottom bracket gave me a serious headache, for some reason I could not fit an standard screw into it. Took me another 2 weeks to find out how to fit this correctly. Also having my kids at home all day due to COVID-19 virus (school closed) did not give me the energy to go 100% for it. But today I fitted the last cable caps and took it for its first spin in years.

As a special tribute to Ard Schenk I had a decal made with his signature to put on the frame, right next to the seat post on the top tube. That is usually where all famous riders put their name on the frame.

I am very glad this project has been completed now. It was an honour rebuilding the bike to its former glory, it rides lovely, and even though I have at the end spent a ridiculous amount of money (paint and chrome alone came in at € 800) it is a real stunner in my collection. On to the next one!
Old 05-14-21, 01:48 PM
CityCountry

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hajo
Today I have completed my most extensive bike rebuilt ever. It all started in August 2018 when I came across a rather neglected Gazelle Special frame from 1996. The seller mentioned in his advert the frame was formerly owned by a famous world champion in sports, it took my interest and so I wrote an extensive message why I had to own this frame. Even though I had no clue who that famous pre-owner was, I was very happy to get a message a few days later I had been chosen to buy this frame. And so I went on to pick it up.

I am very glad this project has been completed now. It was an honour rebuilding the bike to its former glory, it rides lovely, and even though I have at the end spent a ridiculous amount of money (paint and chrome alone came in at € 800) it is a real stunner in my collection. On to the next one!
Wowww! Gorgeous work.
Old 05-17-21, 04:38 AM
Spellscape

Bikes: Union Sakai

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 42 Posts
Union Sakai

Likes For Spellscape:
Old 05-17-21, 05:00 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked 4,571 Times in 1,758 Posts
^ Nice!

It keeps amazing me how well those Union Sakai bikes hold up over the years.

Old 07-15-21, 03:16 PM
Hajo

This week I finally found the frame I have been looking for for at least 8 years. A Gazelle Exception 731 OS from 1996. Size 62 cm.

Needless to tell I bought it immediatelly. I have a NOS Shimano 6500 Ultegra groupset waiting for it. But first it needs a paint job. But I am a bit in dought, wether to keep the original paint scheme in red/white of go for a Orange color (as can been seen in the 1996 Gazelle catalogus). The Goldline things will for sure disappear, I believen this was added later on.
Likes For Hajo:
Old 07-15-21, 08:46 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3801 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
Originally Posted by Spellscape
Union Sakai

-----

thanks so much for posting!

really like this transfer set

good to see Monsieur 62/s

-----
Old 07-20-21, 02:16 AM
Millstone

Bikes: Might as well, now that I am here...

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 66 Posts
Nice bikes.
Makes me glad I have a Duell frame stashed away for later this year/next year, to built it up. Hopefully half September.
Still, I'd like a Union or RIH in my size (60/62).
I will keep looking!
Old 01-21-22, 09:04 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
My 1986 Gazelle shortly before I sold it. Great city bike. I just didn't ride it enough since I switched to recumbents.

Old 01-29-22, 05:48 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Anyone feel like rescuing this poor Noblesse?

Noblesse Vintage 1970 Women’s bike - $75

bicycle frame material: other/unknownbicycle type: other
frame size: Not sure
wheel size: other/unknown
I don’t know a whole heap about this bike other than it was made in Holland in 1970 by a brand called “Noblesse”. Got it as a gift last summer and have only ridden it once, not really my style but I think someone with a keen eye for vintage bikes would love it! It’s been sitting on my balcony the past year untouched. Definitely a bike that could use some TLC, needs some new tubes and brake work, paint is chipped and is rusted on the body. Never seen a bike like this before though! Has the old school Dressguard and Chaincase - for thee most proper lady!
Shoot me an email if you have any more questions - or even any further info on this kind/brand of bike. I can’t find much through my research!
Thanks and have a great day OBO
Old 02-07-22, 08:29 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
That's a good looking bike. What are your plans for it, @hazetguy?
Old 02-18-22, 12:58 PM
Hajo

I have bought a frame but I can't find a thing about it ... it is a frame from Kersten in Nijmegen, I think it is from the 80's, looking at a 126mm rear wheel insert and the brake cable goes over the frame. Unfortunately the shop itself can't help me either, since the previous owner died in 2021 and the new owners just bought the name Kersten Wielersport and did not get the archive or anything. I know Kersten had several frames made by several builders, but I wonder wether anybody can shine some light on the history of the frame. It was built with Columbus tubes.

Here is what I have bought :

Likes For Hajo:
Old 02-18-22, 01:21 PM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Originally Posted by hazetguy

This PEDALEUR sticker is on the back of the seat tube. Anyone seen this before, or know it's signficance? Perhaps a shop sticker?

Pedaleur was and still is used as a name for bikeshops en there were at least two cycling clubs with that name. I don't recognize this sticker. But I like it.
Old 02-18-22, 02:32 PM
swampyankee2

Bikes: '08 Specialized Sirrus, '92 Trek 820, '72 Raleigh Sports, 60? Fongers single speed, '72 Dawes Galaxy, '67 Robin Hood Lenton Sports

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 95 Posts
Now for something completely different -
Here's my Fongers single speed, being modeled by my granddaughter. The story goes that my nephew in Maine was perusing Craigslist and happened upon a Fongers bicycle for sale in Washington DC. He told my son who lives just outside DC about it and he went down and bought it from the seller who gave him a discount because it is our family name. He surprised me with it during a visit up north. Not good for much but it adorns my barn. We also visited the Velorama bicycle museum in Nijmegen, NL during a vacation to Germany several years ago with a particular interest in the Fongers bicycle company to which we may be very distantly related.

Likes For swampyankee2:
Old 02-20-22, 04:30 PM
1oldtrackie

Bikes: Only Track bikes in the collection - about 27 or so left out of 130 approx

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 37 Posts
Likes For 1oldtrackie:
Old 02-21-22, 07:16 AM
pullup

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 1oldtrackie
Greatlooking presto
Likes For pullup:
Old 02-22-22, 08:49 PM
rjsmit1
Vintage Guy

Bikes: Moots Routt45, Wabi Thunder, Gazelle Lo Pro, Gazelle Champion Modial 753, Pinarello F8, Pinarello steel

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Gazelle 753

I am too new to post a photo, but I have a lovely Gazelle Champion Mondial in Reynolds 753 tubing. Green and pearl white tubing. Lots of Gazelle logos. Beautifully thinned lugs - much nicer than a normal production bicycle's lugs, so I am thinking that they gave the 753 bikes extra effort. This one is outfitted with a Campagnolo C Record group with Delta brakes. in almost new condition - a very nice bicycle. My vintage bicycle dealer thinks it is from the late 1980's. Can anyone guide me in interpreting the serial number to get to a year of production?
Old 02-23-22, 02:26 AM
fabiofarelli

Originally Posted by rjsmit1
Can anyone guide me in interpreting the serial number to get to a year of production?
Try this, https://www.gazellechampionmondial.nl/
Old 02-23-22, 04:21 AM
rjsmit1
Vintage Guy

Bikes: Moots Routt45, Wabi Thunder, Gazelle Lo Pro, Gazelle Champion Modial 753, Pinarello F8, Pinarello steel

Thanks very much!
Likes For rjsmit1:
Old 02-23-22, 10:33 AM
fabiofarelli

There were always a lot of options as color combinations, cams etcetera. So maybe yours got things the ones in the catalog don't.
Old 02-27-22, 10:53 PM
rjsmit1
Vintage Guy

I like this bike! And I believe that the Dutch bikes are under appreciated in the US because their brands were not marketed here.
Old 02-27-22, 10:55 PM
rjsmit1
Vintage Guy

Very sexy bike. Love the top of the seat stays.
Old 02-28-22, 04:46 PM
hazetguy 
only here for the "LIKES"

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by fabiofarelli
Pedaleur was and still is used as a name for bikeshops en there were at least two cycling clubs with that name. I don't recognize this sticker. But I like it.
Thanks for that information.

What started out as just thinking I would be able to ride it as it was, has turned into a full overhaul and clean up. The grease in the bottom bracket, headset, and hubs had turned into a semi-petrified very sticky goo. Headset was cleaned, hubs cleaned and got new bearings all around, all packed with NFS grease. The bottom bracket was very rough when turned by hand. I replaced that with a Shimano UN71. I happened to have most of an NOS UniGlide cassette, so I did a little creative disassembling and now have 5 out of 6 gears being new, and a 28 big gear to hopefully help with the hills a bit. Installed a new Sram PC890 chain I had been keeping for a special occasion. Disassembled, cleaned, and lubed the derailleurs and shifters. Found some new Campagnolo shifter cables at the bike thrift store, put those on. Brake calipers and brake levers were fully disassembled, cleaned, lubed, and rebuilt. Brake levers got nice used Dia Compe gum hoods. I put some NOS Shimano SIS cables and cable housing, because I had them laying around. Wheels got cleaned with some mild steel wool, which really bought out the shine. I put on new Vittoria Rubino Pro tires (700 x 25). Brooks Professional saddle installed. I found a 90mm Dia Compe stem at the local bike thrift store, which I think will give me the ever so slight length increase I felt I needed on my first ride. Rewrapped the handlebars with Newbaums cloth tape that I got from the Box-Of-Crap a few years ago. Pedals were greased, NOS Christophe toe clips installed (sent to me out of the blue by a good friend), and some red Christophe straps put on.
That's where I'm at as of now. I thought it was pretty smooth and nice the first time I rode it, so I was shocked in what "poor" condition certain components were when I tore things apart. With all this maintenance and changes, I can only imagine rides in the future will be a considerable improvement!

Old 03-01-22, 11:51 AM
rjsmit1
Vintage Guy

Gazelle 753

I get to post photos now, so this is my Royal Dutch Gazelle, Champion Mondial 753. I never thought I would love a bike with a green colorway, but this one is really pretty in the sunlight with the pearl white contrast.

Gazelle 753

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.