Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Peloton workers say that rusting bikes were knowingly sent to customers

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Peloton workers say that rusting bikes were knowingly sent to customers

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-22, 11:05 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
16.6 years is how long it would take the cost of a $10 monthly gym membership to equal the cost of a $2000 Peloton. That's it. I have no idea why this simple math has triggered you so badly, but I wish you a speedy recovery from whatever your problem is.
Trigger warning: Peloton also requires a $39/mo membership fee.
Old 02-22-22, 11:23 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Also, a regular Peloton bike is $1495, not $2000. They have an upgraded version with a larger screen and some other features for $2500. $1495 does not seem all that unreasonable for home exercise equipment. Nordic Track has 5 indoor bikes on their website ranging from $1000-$2000. Bikes like the Wahoo's Kickr are $3500.

In terms of Peloton's business model and future, I am not surprised to see their equipment sales slowing way down. Anyone who's wanted to buy a Peloton in the last 2 years has done so, and there is zero incentive to buy a new one. They still have a huge subscriber base that pays a fairly substantial monthly fee to gain access to their classes.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 02-22-22, 11:47 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2237 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I find this story very confusing. No one seems to be claiming that the rust problem is anything but cosmetic, so if Peloton is "concealing" the rust, aren't they actually curing the problem?

If they're actually covering up serious corrosion, then everyone who's leaking this story appears to be burying the lead. I'm skeptical this is anything but an attempt to embarrass the company in its attempts to keep its premium brand status.
Yeah, that is exactly how The Financial Times of London operates. Probably in collusion with the Sex in the City franchise.
Old 02-22-22, 12:00 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Yeah, that is exactly how The Financial Times of London operates. Probably in collusion with the Sex in the City franchise.

I'd say the reporting is on the up-and-up because they're being really clear that no one is telling them this is anything but cosmetic, but I do question the motivation of their sources because this sounds very much like the only reason for leaking this is to embarrass a company that a lot of people are mad at right now. If the performance and the appearance of the machines are both ok after the "treatment", how exactly is the consumer being harmed here?

The company really did get whipsawed by the Chris Noth thing, what looked like a nice piece of damage control after his death scene just backfired on them when the allegations against him came out at almost the same exact time as the commercial. At some point, you have to think there's a black cloud hanging over this company.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-22-22, 01:39 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Only surpassed by their self-flagilation from the initial advertisement.

The main issue is that they were primarily concerned with covering up the problem, so that they would not face a second costly recall, after the recall of their treadmill that killed a child.

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 02-22-22 at 06:07 PM. Reason: fixed a couple grammatical attrocities
Old 02-22-22, 02:12 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
I find this story very confusing. No one seems to be claiming that the rust problem is anything but cosmetic, so if Peloton is "concealing" the rust, aren't they actually curing the problem?

If they're actually covering up serious corrosion, then everyone who's leaking this story appears to be burying the lead. I'm skeptical this is anything but an attempt to embarrass the company in its attempts to keep its premium brand status.
That's not my interpenetration of the story. The issue is that Peloton had one certain standard of quality to ship a bike to a customer, then when the product didn't meet internal standards of quality the metric appears to have been lowered to make sales numbers.
...procedures dictated that if the bikes failed to meet cosmetic standards, they were to be scrapped or turned into a “refurb.” But multiple warehouse workers have said these quality controls were often not followed in order to hit “unrealistic” sales quotas.
For me when companies start doing this at any level it should be a red flag. If they do this for a cosmetic issue, instead of coming clean with customers, what happens for a more serious one? If management is comfortable lowering quality standards for a minor issue, in my experience, they're also comfortable lowering it for more serious issues simply to maintain sales. If customers start feeling duped this will be far worse than any short-term lost sales.
Old 02-22-22, 02:34 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Doesn't trigger me in the least. Fools and their money, etc.

a regular Peloton bike is $1495, not $2000.
Yep, plus $250 delivery and setup. You have to buy the "starter" version before you hit 2 grand. One version even includes dumbbells, but they may just be trolling their customer base.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 02-22-22, 03:09 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by billridesbikes
That's not my interpenetration of the story. The issue is that Peloton had one certain standard of quality to ship a bike to a customer, then when the product didn't meet internal standards of quality the metric appears to have been lowered to make sales numbers.
...procedures dictated that if the bikes failed to meet cosmetic standards, they were to be scrapped or turned into a “refurb.” But multiple warehouse workers have said these quality controls were often not followed in order to hit “unrealistic” sales quotas.
For me when companies start doing this at any level it should be a red flag. If they do this for a cosmetic issue, instead of coming clean with customers, what happens for a more serious one? If management is comfortable lowering quality standards for a minor issue, in my experience, they're also comfortable lowering it for more serious issues simply to maintain sales. If customers start feeling duped this will be far worse than any short-term lost sales.

This is a half-empty, half-full argument. Yes, on the one hand, they could be seen to have let standards they had in place slip, but they were cosmetic standards, and the route they went actually corrected the esthetic issues, so is that a cover up, or is it a creative solution?. If they had scrapped the bikes at the time, there would have been no stock to replace them. Yes, they probably should have been frank with their customers, I guess, but those customers would likely never have known about these supposed defects nor been put to risk by any of those "defects" had the warehouse people not leaked their story.

Sorry, I just think that Peloton's recent other problems have turned this non-story into something more ominous than it has any right to be.
Old 02-22-22, 04:33 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I LOL at anybody who would waste $ 39 dollars per month to ride indoors.
Old 02-22-22, 04:52 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by wolfchild

I can't even imagine why you'd have an opinion of whether it's worth it to them; let alone make fun of them for it.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-22-22, 05:22 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I can't even imagine why you'd have an opinion of whether it's worth it to them; let alone make fun of them for it.
Cardio should be free....If somebody wants to ride indoors then they should just purchase a stationary bike or an indoor trainer as a one time purchase...No need to pay monthly fee just for doing some cardio.
Old 02-22-22, 06:25 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Cardio should be free....If somebody wants to ride indoors then they should just purchase a stationary bike or an indoor trainer as a one time purchase...No need to pay monthly fee just for doing some cardio.
I don't have one or any interest in getting one, but I think the attraction for many people right now is that it has many of the benefits of a gym membership without the risk of going to the gym in a pandemic. The monthly fee probably compares favorably to a gym membership fee.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 02-22-22, 08:13 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Who the hell are you to tell people what they should or shouldn't find motivational?

I LOL at your pomposity.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-22-22, 08:42 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Who the hell are you to tell people what they should or shouldn't find motivational?

I LOL at your pomposity.
Just more trolling.
Old 02-23-22, 08:45 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Same here!!!
Old 02-23-22, 08:49 AM
prj71

I don't have one or any interest in getting one, but I think the attraction for many people right now is that it has many of the benefits of a gym membership without the risk of going to the gym in a pandemic. The monthly fee probably compares favorably to a gym membership fee.
What risk of going to the gym? I've been going to the gym during the pandemic and there has been no downside to it all. Went November 2020 to April 2021, then re-joined again in November 2021 and am still going now.

Monthly fee is $35 and gives me access to weight lifting, cardio machines, swimming pool, hot tub, suana, basketball court and racquetball court.
Old 02-23-22, 08:52 AM
prj71

Totally agree. I have Minoura trainer that I picked up for $45 on craigslist. For the few times that I use it when it's too cold to ride my fat bike outside.

MagRide-60D | MINOURA JAPAN
Old 02-23-22, 09:23 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by prj71
What risk of going to the gym? I've been going to the gym during the pandemic and there has been no downside to it all. Went November 2020 to April 2021, then re-joined again in November 2021 and am still going now.

Monthly fee is $35 and gives me access to weight lifting, cardio machines, swimming pool, hot tub, suana, basketball court and racquetball court.
We are approaching 1 million deaths in this country. I'm not sue where you were. Tonga? (Congratulations on getting internet back.)
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 02-23-22, 09:44 AM
prj71

We are approaching 1 million deaths in this country. I'm not sue where you were. Tonga? (Congratulations on getting internet back.)
You can live in fear or just live. Not Tonga... Wisconsin.
Old 02-23-22, 10:09 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Glad it worked out for you, which is all that matters.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 02-23-22, 10:21 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Same here!!!
I LOL at anyone of means that is so uninformed or cheap as to care about $39 per month for anything
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 02-23-22, 01:37 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Unlimited rides a month at local spin studios here are about $150/mo. Just 4 rides a month at one is $70.

So some of your all's "value propositions" are wildly off in comparing it to just DIY on a bike at a Planet Fitness. So, you're excluding instructors and classes.

To save you the trouble, here's the breakdown:
Unlimited at a local Cyclebar branded "box": $160/mo, so that's nearly $2k a year.....Peloton pays off in less than 2 years.

Planet Fitness doesn't do classes, so your value proposition on that trying to get out cheap fails. I won't accept that as the comparison. No instructor led classes.

Month to month at a Golds is $50. They offer classes, that's your best true value proposition on led classes on bike. Then, you have to be free to take the class when offered since this isn't a spin gym dedicated with plenty of schedule options.

Signature memberships with unlimited classes for Lifetime are $150/mo. Again, at mercy of when they offer a spin specific class versus weights, yoga, running, or what have you. So again, we're around 2 years payout. Not even considering drive time and gas.

So often on BF it is a "race to the bottom" on how judgmental we can be about people's purchases by basically stopping just short of telling people to "just go dumpster dive then go ride what you find".
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 02-23-22, 01:45 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Planet Fitness doesn't do classes, so your value proposition on that trying to get out cheap fails. I won't accept that as the comparison.
Remember, you only asked what a "gym membership" costs.

No instructor led classes.
I've never been to one, but this is from their website:

Carry on.
Old 02-23-22, 01:51 PM
prj71

Unlimited rides a month at local spin studios here are about $150/mo. Just 4 rides a month at one is $70.

So some of your all's "value propositions" are wildly off in comparing it to just DIY on a bike at a Planet Fitness. So, you're excluding instructors and classes.

To save you the trouble, here's the breakdown:
Unlimited at a local Cyclebar branded "box": $160/mo, so that's nearly $2k a year.....Peloton pays off in less than 2 years.

Planet Fitness doesn't do classes, so your value proposition on that trying to get out cheap fails. I won't accept that as the comparison. No instructor led classes.

Month to month at a Golds is $50. They offer classes, that's your best true value proposition on led classes on bike. Then, you have to be free to take the class when offered since this isn't a spin gym dedicated with plenty of schedule options.

Signature memberships with unlimited classes for Lifetime are $150/mo. Again, at mercy of when they offer a spin specific class versus weights, yoga, running, or what have you. So again, we're around 2 years payout. Not even considering drive time and gas.

So often on BF it is a "race to the bottom" on how judgmental we can be about people's purchases by basically stopping just short of telling people to "just go dumpster dive then go ride what you find".
Wait....What??

We need instructors and classes to ride a spin bike??? Who knew?!!!

I have a $2k bike (that also gets used outside in the summer) that I put on a trainer that I bought for $45. Do the math.
Old 02-23-22, 02:18 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Rolla
Remember, you only asked what a "gym membership" costs.

I've never been to one, but this is from their website:

Carry on.

Don't think he was responding to you specifically, but since I had a heavily-used membership at PF, I feel qualified to say that that description of their "training" is more than a bit misleading. I think the words that are missing are "sparse", "perfunctory" and "sporadically scheduled". I know a lot of people who use PF religiously, and none of them go to those "classes".

From what I recall, their "bikes" were not the same quality as one might expect for a spin class, but since I don't do those, I'd defer to anyone who said they were "good enough"..

And I say this as someone who got into pretty damn good shape working out at PF, I have little to say about them that isn't praise, it's very good at what it does. But seriously, how many trainers can you hire at $10/mo membership fees? They have good machines generally, and everything is kept clean and in good repair.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.