Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Married Florida bicyclists found dead

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 03-07-22, 09:56 AM
Rogan

Bikes: Trek 8.4DS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Found dead with their throats slashed. No further details yet. Hopefully this was not road rage against bicycle riders.
https://www.wfla.com/news/florida/ma...ed-police-say/
Old 03-07-22, 10:39 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Makes me wonder about disagreement at event and then stalked/killed after leaving.
Old 03-07-22, 04:21 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Makes me wonder.

And it makes me think of the couple, their family, friends, and acquaintances.

And it makes me wonder what their family, friends, and acquaintances would think of bikeforums.

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 03-07-22, 06:45 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts
So is anyone bothered by “we just thought it was a hit and run”. Implicitly saying 2 dead cyclists, no big deal.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 03-07-22, 10:04 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
So is anyone bothered by “we just thought it was a hit and run”. Implicitly saying 2 dead cyclists, no big deal.

I'm bothered by people in this thread acting like it will be any better if their throats were cut for reasons other than they were bicyclists. I'm bothered by people in this thread speculating like this is some parlor game. And I'm bothered by you stretching so hard to make this cheap point. You even made up a quote--no one said they thought it was "just" anything.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-08-22, 10:13 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Ever heard of a paraphrase? My point is the way the article is written, the negative implication is that had it been two cyclists dead from a hit and run, that’s par for the course and not of that great of consequence.
Old 03-08-22, 10:32 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Ever heard of a paraphrase? My point is the way the article is written, the negative implication is that had it been two cyclists dead from a hit and run, that’s par for the course and not of that great of consequence.

That's not a paraphrase, that's a gross distortion of what was actually said. There's absolutely nothing in the actual article that suggests that this wouldn't have been a big deal if it had been a hit and run. It's just a different type of homicide entirely. You just made up the implication.

Now be a big person and just admit you probably shouldn't have done that instead of sending me nasty private messages.

Oh, and here's the actual quote: "The couple was found dead a couple blocks away in what was initially thought to be a hit-and-run incident. Then officers noticed their throats had been slashed."

Nothing in there about hit and run being "par for the course".

Last edited by livedarklions; 03-08-22 at 11:00 AM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-08-22, 11:20 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
That's not a paraphrase, that's a gross distortion of what was actually said. There's absolutely nothing in the actual article that suggests that this wouldn't have been a big deal if it had been a hit and run. It's just a different type of homicide entirely. You just made up the implication.

Now be a big person and just admit you probably shouldn't have done that instead of sending me nasty private messages.

Oh, and here's the actual quote: "The couple was found dead a couple blocks away in what was initially thought to be a hit-and-run incident. Then officers noticed their throats had been slashed."

Nothing in there about hit and run being "par for the course".
Well the difference between a hit and run and a throat slashing is that the first can occur just due to a driver being distracted and having a collision, and then panicking and leaving the scene. The latter is someone intentionally targeting the victims and taking the time to commit a gruesome murder. INTENT for the latter is huge. So yeah, there is a "just" aspect to "hit and run," in spite of either event still being terrible.
Likes For genec:
Old 03-08-22, 12:02 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by genec
Well the difference between a hit and run and a throat slashing is that the first can occur just due to a driver being distracted and having a collision, and then panicking and leaving the scene. The latter is someone intentionally targeting the victims and taking the time to commit a gruesome murder. INTENT for the latter is huge. So yeah, there is a "just" aspect to "hit and run," in spite of either event still being terrible.
A hit and run can be either intentional or unintentional, cutting two people's throats must be intentional. I noted that already--this is a "different kind of homicide." That's a legal question, it's also a practical question about what kind of maniac might be out there.

While that might be a good explanation for why saying "just" didn't actually minimize the terribleness of the hit and run deaths if the police or the article had actually used the word "just",,they didn't use that word. A BF poster inserted that word, and it's quite clear from context that he did so to give a false impression of the implications of the article--"2 dead cyclists, no big deal" doesn't appear in the article either implicitly or explicitly, he needed the word "just" to create the impression that it did. There's no other plausible explanation for why he made up the quote. BTW, he put it in quotation marks, you don't do that with a paraphrase.

Be mad someone murdered two people, don't make up phony grievances against the reporting and the police.

And I'll remind everyone that merlinextraligh posed the question of whether we were offended by his made-up quote. He's just mad because I answered the question honestly.
Old 03-08-22, 02:28 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Ever heard of a paraphrase?
More "editorializing" (with the added "just") than "paraphrasing".

My point is the way the article is written, the negative implication is that had it been two cyclists dead from a hit and run, that’s par for the course and not of that great of consequence.
You might be reading things into it that are not there.

The couple was found dead a couple blocks away in what was initially thought to be a hit-and-run incident. Then officers noticed their throats had been slashed.
What the article said (which doesn't require paraphrasing). Seems fairly cut-and-dry.

Your "paraphrase" was quite different. It's a "leading question". You changed the meaning and tone of what the article said.

Last edited by njkayaker; 03-08-22 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-08-22, 02:29 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11895 Post(s)
Liked 6,493 Times in 3,418 Posts
Livedarklions please leave the thread, this arguing is pointless.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 03-08-22, 04:07 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
A bit more information. That they were cyclists seems irrelevant,

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/lo...daytona-beach/
Old 03-08-22, 04:15 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
A buddy of mine lives right where this happened and said he hadn't heard a thing about it. Apparently (according to the articles I have seen) one of the nearby houses had this area covered with video and have asked the homeowner for it. Almost assuredly more details will emerge. Crazy. One can't help but think there would be more than just a random event.
Old 03-08-22, 06:26 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Jealous ex added to list.
Old 03-09-22, 12:13 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
It's either a targeted killing or that road rager has reached his breaking point and was out hunting for a victim.
Old 03-09-22, 02:38 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 869 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
A bit more information. That they were cyclists seems irrelevant,

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/lo...daytona-beach/

Originally Posted by BikeLite
Jealous ex added to list.

Originally Posted by Daniel4
It's either a targeted killing or that road rager has reached his breaking point and was out hunting for a victim.

...... if you watch the video that MZ posted the "person of interest" seems to be wearing bicycle gloves
Old 03-09-22, 02:44 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot

...... if you watch the video that MZ posted the "person of interest" seems to be wearing bicycle gloves
Anybody can get on a bike. Even a killer.
Old 03-09-22, 03:17 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Originally Posted by Daniel4
Anybody can get on a bike. Even a killer.
your post speculated road rage so i cited the bike gloves to give you the opportunity to speculate on bike rage or what ever else that you can scheme up ................... trying to enter a throat slashers mind is a real stretch for most but a quick perusal of Elmore Leonard's work is a good place to start
Old 03-09-22, 07:02 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

your post speculated road rage so i cited the bike gloves to give you the opportunity to speculate on bike rage or what ever else that you can scheme up ................... trying to enter a throat slashers mind is a real stretch for most but a quick perusal of Elmore Leonard's work is a good place to start

And I think that’s justified
Old 03-09-22, 10:41 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Interesting. I've read every one of Elmore Leonard's crime novels over the last 20 years and don't recall ever coming across any reference to throat slashers or road ragers. But I have read dingy speculation about them on A&S. Many of Elmore Leonard's characters also say stupid stuff.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 03-09-22 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-09-22, 10:59 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
article: Chief Jakari Young said, "if it is totally random, the person responsible has to be deranged.”

But if this is meticulously planned, then "sane and rational"?

​​​​​​
Old 03-10-22, 11:08 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Interesting. I've read every one of Elmore Leonard's crime novels over the last 20 years and don't recall ever coming across any reference to throat slashers or road ragers sorry but it wasn't Elmore but an Elmore wannabe But I have read dingy speculation about them on A&S. Many of Elmore Leonard's characters also say stupid stuff.
the book i mis remembered is "Dirty Sweet" by John Mcfetridge which I got mixed up with Leonard's' "City Primeval" but Leonard's "When the Women Come Out to Dance" is a murder meant to look like a random city crime .................... the point you make is that the A&S fact checkers rarely notice the trees much less see the forest
Old 03-10-22, 11:35 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18321 Post(s)
Liked 15,302 Times in 7,232 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Interesting. I've read every one of Elmore Leonard's crime novels over the last 20 years and don't recall ever coming across any reference to throat slashers or road ragers. But I have read dingy speculation about them on A&S. Many of Elmore Leonard's characters also say stupid stuff.
I actually need a new read. Which is your favorite of his. I have already read Get Shorty, which I liked but not as much as the film as I have a thing for Rene Russo. She's absolutely gorgeous.
Old 03-10-22, 12:09 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
article: Chief Jakari Young said, "if it is totally random, the person responsible has to be deranged.”

But if this is meticulously planned, then "sane and rational"?

​​​​​​
Well, the motivations are different... with the latter probably as some sort of hate/passion situation, where as the random slasher... what is the motivation there... "insanity???"
Old 03-10-22, 01:17 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I actually need a new read. Which is your favorite of his. I have already read Get Shorty, which I liked but not as much as the film as I have a thing for Rene Russo. She's absolutely gorgeous.
All of Elmore Leonard novels (crime and western) are good to great. They can be read in any order.
The top five I recommend are:
Swag (1976)
City Primeval (1980)
Rum Punch (1992)
The Hot Kid (2005)
The Moonshine War (1969)

If you like Rene Russo, check out The Thomas Crown Affair (1999) in which she co-starred with Pierce Bronsan, a dynamic duo, almost as dynamic as the 1968 pairing of Steve McQueen and Faye Dunaway in the movie with same title.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.