Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

need to brush up on my dog defense skills

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

need to brush up on my dog defense skills

Old 04-11-22, 07:57 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I've been showing your posts to a beagle. I have discovered how to make a dog laugh.

If the dog associates the smell with abuse, they will likely cower, not fly in from a distance to attack it.

Just. Quit.
Elevated aggression towards humans is one of the signs of an abused dog.

https://iron-set.com/us/are-abused-dogs-aggressive/
Old 04-11-22, 08:07 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Originally Posted by Rage
I’m still flabbergasted by what we learned about the behavior of dogs in the kingdom of qwaa. I guess you really do learn something new everyday.

This might explain why one of my dogs went nuts chasing this bee or wasp when she was just a wee pup. The funny thing is, she finally got it in her mouth and chewed it up. But it must have stung her as it was being crushed or chased because she had some sort of allergic reaction. Her head swelled up grotesquely. She looked like a freaky jack o’ lantern, it was so bad.

Thankfully, she was okay again by the time we got to the vet’s office.

She’s gotta have some qwaa dog in her pedigree.
Glad she's OK! Dog are keen on attacking giant-sized bugs. Try to avoid looking like one

Old 04-11-22, 08:09 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Grateful that model was finally discontinued.
I like that cube car. Sadly the time has come.
Old 04-11-22, 08:25 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
These are wheels for a Nissan Cube. Know what I'm sayin'?

There are worse:

Likes For Reynolds:
Old 04-11-22, 08:41 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by qwaalodge
Dog are more likely to turn aggressive towards anything that don't look or smell familiar to them. Dogs recognize by smell, form, and movement.

Smell is a huge deal to dogs. Keep smells as little as possible. Avoid fabric softener, perfume, cologne, strong smelling soap / shampoo. Shower after every workout or any activity that makes you sweat. Avoid eating red meat / exotic foods before a ride. Keep your BMI under 23.

You'll find dogs are less likely to chase women due to less body odor and less meat on diet. Someone on a bike is less likely to be seen as prey by dog. More often than not, if chased, they see you as a threat

Appearance will also matter. In this aspect, simply try to blend in. If all the cyclists in your area are riding on cruiser bikes and not wearing helmets you'll greatly improve your chance of avoiding catching dog's attention if you also ride on cruise bikes and not wear helmet.. I'm only saying it as an example, not to discourage anyone from wearing a helmet. I wear helmet in all my outdoor rides too even in short 5 minute rides.

Finally, movement. Avoid any rough, sudden movements. Make smooth delivery of power on the pedal. Avoid abrupt pedaling, avoid aggressive motions on the bike. Avoid unusual postures. Riding like a clown will absolutely get a dog's attention from miles away.

No. That dog was trying to herd or “play”.

Similar to dogs chasing cars.

Stuff happens.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 04-11-22, 08:56 PM
Aroyobob

Bikes: Trek 460, Trek 1420, Schwin High Sierra

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Has anyone used a cattle prod for dog defense? More awkward to carry although some are only 33" long. Maybe just a pedestrian and equestrian aid.

https://www.amazon.com/cattle-prod-l...prod+livestock
Old 04-11-22, 10:52 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Some dogs will associate the smell of alcohol with abusive behavior especially they had previous or current owner who are abusive as alcoholic.

If you are nice to your dogs, I don't see drinking a pint a problem but other dogs may not be as kind.
in my experience, dogs like beer. Back when I was a yoot’ in a less enlightened time, my best friends family had an Irish Wolfhound - big as a pony, dumb as a brick. That dog loved beer, and I confess it was pretty funny seeing a beast that size not quite managing a straight line after a bowl of Bass.
when I lived an Arkansas, dogs were a fact of cycling life. Some mutts would ambush, some would sit hundreds of yards up the road, waiting for you. From that distance, they weren’t smelling my beer breath or critiquing my souplesse, they were just waiting for dinner. In situations like those, I found that the best policy was to speed up, aim right for them and yell like a madman - that usually startled them enough for me to get some distance before they got up to speed.

Last edited by Litespud; 04-11-22 at 11:03 PM.
Likes For Litespud:
Old 04-12-22, 03:25 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
Similar to some here, a friend of mine was prone to use his pepper spray indiscriminately. He was spray happy, and I used to annoy him by saying his motto should be "spray first, ask questions later" or "the best dog is the dead dog".
I don't know about the "dead dog" thing, but I fully agree about spray first and ask questions later. As I will keep reminding people, incidents with dogs, whether it's a bite or a crash, happen in a flash. There is no time to evaluate the situation or try to determine what the dog may or may not do, wasting time trying to be a dog mindreader. If there is a dog off a leash and it gets within range of pepper spray - generally about 8 feet - something has already gone wrong and I'm handling the situation for my own safety. I owe it to myself, my wife, and everyone else that cares about me. There is literally ZERO reason to take a chance. While I'm getting my thumb on the trigger, I'm yelling "NO!" really loud and scary, but if the dog keeps coming it gets sprayed, no questions asked.

The pepper spray (definitely not bear spray) will repel the dog and wear off quickly. The second part is important for two reasons. First, I don't think very many people actually want to cause permanent injury to any animal. Secondly, by the time the police arrive, the incident is over and there is clearly no harm done. No need to go to court and justify your actions. If you hit it with a baton or a chain and take out an eye, you could be sued.

Also, I'm not sure bear spray is legal to carry everywhere. The strength of regular pepper spray is regulated and the brand we carry (Saber Red) is legal to carry and much smaller too.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 04-12-22, 04:30 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Elevated aggression towards humans is one of the signs of an abused dog.

https://iron-set.com/us/are-abused-dogs-aggressive/

So is fear and cowering. Maybe actually read the whole linked source. Tell me where that source suggests they charge people who smell like their abuser.

You're posting a bunch of crap you can't support.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-12-22, 05:23 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 5,311 Times in 2,699 Posts
You're posting a bunch of crap you can't support.
Seems as if Indy's Cube reference is right on target.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-12-22, 06:01 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Grateful that model was finally discontinued.
I see what you did there.
Old 04-12-22, 06:02 AM
indyfabz

Seems as if Indy's Cube reference is right on target.
Disclaimer: The possibility was suggested to me. I think it was a very good call.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-12-22, 06:42 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

There are worse:

Assuming it was unintentional, it's amazing that swastika slipped by a German manufacturer.
Old 04-12-22, 10:18 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Assuming it was unintentional, it's amazing that swastika slipped by a German manufacturer.
Not to speak of that center badge...
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 04-12-22, 10:27 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Originally Posted by Jeff Neese

The pepper spray (definitely not bear spray) will repel the dog and wear off quickly. The second part is important for two reasons. First, I don't think very many people actually want to cause permanent injury to any animal. Secondly, by the time the police arrive, the incident is over and there is clearly no harm done. No need to go to court and justify your actions. If you hit it with a baton or a chain and take out an eye, you could be sued.

Also, I'm not sure bear spray is legal to carry everywhere. The strength of regular pepper spray is regulated and the brand we carry (Saber Red) is legal to carry and much smaller too.
That's right, he carried Sabre and it didn't harm the dogs, they just stopped and rubbed their noses and eyes, apparently no big deal for them.
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 04-12-22, 10:30 AM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
I am not superstitious, but...I was riding through the center of our little town on a real small old street with cars parked down one side. Almost no traffic on this street, old houses and a couple of churches. I was about 10 foot from a parked car, and a black flash flew right straight at my back tire. It was a dog, about 30 pounds, fortunately for me on legs that were about 3 inches long. It's fat little belly was dragging the street so I did dodge and out run this one. I heard his owner yelling at him as I rode on. Funny how when you think of something on this forum, it happens. Pretty nice first ride of the year.
Old 04-12-22, 11:35 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 317 Posts
Were you dressed like a bee?
Likes For Rage:
Old 04-12-22, 11:38 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Not to speak of that center badge...
Opel? GM in Germany.

Do you know the shortened word for public private partnership?
Old 04-12-22, 04:54 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

What about Japan?

Old 04-12-22, 06:42 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

What about Japan?

Nah, that just looks like legs with feet.
Old 04-12-22, 07:40 PM
indyfabz

Hello. What’s this thread now about?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-13-22, 05:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Hello. What’s this thread now about?

Dogs with racist hubcaps.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-13-22, 06:28 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 495 Times in 342 Posts
back on topic:
I would have stopped. It defuses the dog's chase instinct. And they can't run in front of my wheel, causing a crash.
Most every dog nip I've seen has been from dogs catching up to the rider from behind and biting the moving leg or foot.

Nothing works for every dog. These all work some of the time, but have no effect on different dogs: Yelling. Blasting an emergency whistle. Squirting water. Veering toward the dog, screaming. Stopping. Taking off sunglasses and staring down the dog! Pepper spray -- but that has to be easily accessible.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 04-13-22, 08:00 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by rm -rf
back on topic:
I would have stopped. It defuses the dog's chase instinct. And they can't run in front of my wheel, causing a crash.
Most every dog nip I've seen has been from dogs catching up to the rider from behind and biting the moving leg or foot.

Nothing works for every dog. These all work some of the time, but have no effect on different dogs: Yelling. Blasting an emergency whistle. Squirting water. Veering toward the dog, screaming. Stopping. Taking off sunglasses and staring down the dog! Pepper spray -- but that has to be easily accessible.

This dog wasn't chasing, it was ambushing. Watching the video, it's a matter of a second or two between when it becomes obvious the dog is unleashed and charging and when the pass actually occurs. Hindsight is 20/20, but every close call I've ever had with a dog has come out of seemingly nowhere leaving me little or no time to consider my reaction, let alone pull off a safe sudden stop while screaming, squirting, whatever. Honestly, if you did manage to slam on the brakes and put your feet on the ground, no way to tell if it would have turned out any better.

Last time I got chased, btw, it was by a Rottweiler who came at me from behind after I passed the hedges that were concealing him. I actually heard him before I saw him and he was basically just about a foot behind my leg. I did not want to stop and just kept pedaling as fast as I could. This turned out to be a very fortunate choice as when I turned back to take a second look, I realized he was a very old dog with arthritis. He tried to keep up with me for about a block, but I was about a half block ahead of him when he gave up. Literally, his only chance of catching me would have been if I had stopped or slowed. His strategy, assuming he had one, was to lie in wait behind the hedge and try to make contact immediately. Old or not, you really don't want to mess with the jaws of a Rottweiler.

Long story short--these things are extremely situational and Fido isn't always advertising his presence or intentions. I don't think we're necessarily disagreeing here, maybe it makes sense to have a default reaction, but be prepared to improvise when that strategy is obviously inappropriate.

Last edited by livedarklions; 04-13-22 at 08:13 AM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-20-22, 06:36 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
got my pants back, replaced the zipper, that the dog ruined

$18 + $2 tip

Last edited by rumrunn6; 04-20-22 at 06:48 AM.