Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Service schedule for hobbyist

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-22, 12:01 PM
gululok

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I've been learning to fix up my bike for commuting, servicing one part of my bike at a time. I'm at a point where I've gotten rid of all the weird clicks/noises, and the bike feels to be in good shape. How soon should I expect to revisit each task? I try to ride to work on most dry days, so that's most days in the summer, and maybe 1~2 days each week in the winter. 7km each way.

The list of things I've done (have I missed anything?):

- replaced break & shifter cables

(Didn't touch the headset 'cause it seems fine.)

- adjusted the breaks

- overhauled front & rear wheel hubs

- overhauled the pedals

- replaced the bottom bracket with a cartridge one
(How often were you suppose to service the old cup/cone BB? The cartridge has sealed bearings. Does that mean it doesn't need servicing?)

- replaced the chain
(How often should I deep clean the chain? Taking it off and scrubbing it in mineral spirit.)

- replaced the freewheel stack
(How do you measure wear on the gears? I replaced the freewheel stack on the lbs guy's suggestion, but the new one looks pretty similar to the old one.)

- replaced rear tire

Last edited by gululok; 04-23-22 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-23-22, 12:35 PM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
There is a way to measure wear on the cassette by measuring distance between teeth, if you know what it's supposed to be. There's an extremely technical YouTube channel about this.

But I just replace the chain when it's worn (as per the chain checker tool) and then see if the new chain skips. If it does I change the cassette.

As for how often to do things just keep an eye on everything. Make sure wheels spin nicely, crank has no play, and headset isn't clonking. Replace brake pads when they look worn.

Deep clean the chain as often as you can be bothered. It doesn't do it any harm. It might last longer and be more efficient but mainly clean it because nothing beats that clean chain feeling!
Old 04-23-22, 12:53 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
For a commuter, servicing the hubs once a year isn't a bad idea, more often if you cycle in a corrosive or dirty environment (say a beach boardwalk or past a cement plant). If you have time then, also service the headset. The cartridge BB should last at least 10,000 miles, if not frequently submerged in salt water.

I never remove a chain for service. When it starts making noise, I wipe it down well and lube it, then wipe it well again. That's every 3-400 miles or so where I ride.

I measure the chain fairly often, every month or so. I use the technique of measuring 12 links. I replace it at 12 1/8".
Old 04-23-22, 02:18 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6186 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
Just service it when it needs it. If you ever are bored, rainy day and nothing to do then maybe disassemble something so you can clean and lube it. However I'll be willing to bet you just find clean grease in the hubs or whatever it is you are servicing.

You should make regular checks of your chain with a 12" scale or a chain checker. And some of the new dry type lubes really want you to lube more often. So 100 miles wouldn't be unusual. And some say every 50 miles. And cable pulled shifters and brakes will need some attention every year or so. That's where I'm finding electronic shifters and hydraulic brakes stand out. I haven't had to do anything to them on my more than 2 year old bike except just check the pad wear.
Old 04-24-22, 08:35 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Depending on type/model of shifters you may want to replace cables yearly. See threads on Shimano brifter cable end removal.

​​​​​​https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...no-5800-a.html
Old 04-24-22, 05:39 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by guy153
But I just replace the chain when it's worn (as per the chain checker tool) and then see if the new chain skips. If it does I change the cassette.
Or use a ruler, a much more accurate and reliable device. And yes, the way to tell if cassette cogs are worn is if a new chain skips under pedaling force. As a side note, if the skipping requires hard pedaling to trigger it, you can ride a couple of 100 miles and the new chain will no longer skip.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 04-25-22, 02:43 AM
guy153

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Or use a ruler, a much more accurate and reliable device. And yes, the way to tell if cassette cogs are worn is if a new chain skips under pedaling force. As a side note, if the skipping requires hard pedaling to trigger it, you can ride a couple of 100 miles and the new chain will no longer skip.
Yes I have observed this after being too lazy to change the cassette sometimes You can also just not use your favourite gear. I used to use the ruler method but the chain checker is much easier with less squinting involved.
Likes For guy153:
Old 04-25-22, 04:04 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2237 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 1,793 Posts
brakes, not breaks
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 04-25-22, 05:29 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 264 Posts
Two tools you should have is a "chain checker" and a "cassette/freewheel checker". They aren't expensive and if you are going to service your bikes they are valuable tools to own and use.
If you check your chain several times yearly you will know when it needs replacing. If you replace your chain when it is required it is possible you can get a decade or more out of a cassette/freewheel.
Some have serviced "sealed" bottom brackets but it is generally not needed unless you frequently ride in wet and gritty conditions. Thy generally last for years with normal use...not wet/gritty conditions frequently.
Storing you bike in a wet/damp location and not wiping dry after riding in wet conditions speed up and is the cause of rust/corrosion especially the chain and the cables which become stiff when using to brake/shift.
"Deep Cleaning" the chain...you say "scrubbing"...scrubbing only removes grit/grime/etc. from the outside of the chain and does little to nothing to remove grit/grime from between the plates/etc. You can use an immersion tool like the Park chain cleaner, which I use. It does a good job but IMO it should be done frequently, in gritty/dusty conditions I'll use it once a week otherwise every two weeks. You can also remove the chain and soak it in a cleaning solution and shake the container vigorously which works reasonably well. You can use an ultra-sonic cleaner which works great...don't buy a cheap one, they tend to not last long or work well. More important is to lube your cleaned chain correctly...wipe excess lube off the outside of the chain so it doesn't attract dust/grit/etc.