Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Installing bar-end shifters after bars are taped

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-02-22, 12:00 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 347 Posts

I recently decided to convert a just-rebuilt bike from downtube shifters to bar ends. I didn't want to strip off the freshly-wrapped bar tape (one of my better wrap jobs, as luck would have it) in order to wrap over the lower sections of shifter housing in the usual manner. The shifters work fine with the housing outside of the tape, but the housing is a bit "floppy." That isn't a problem functionally, but it bothers me a little

Does anyone have a clever method for overwrapping the bottom-most couple of inches of housing--the part closest to the shifters, that is--to secure it a little better? I suppose I could try some sort of Rivendell-esque band of twine, but I'm no doubt there are other approaches that would work as well or better. What have you got?

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash

Last edited by jonwvara; 06-02-22 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-02-22, 12:27 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4508 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara
I recently decided to convert a just-rebuilt bike from down-tube shifters to bar ends. I didn't want to strip off the freshly-wrapped bar tape (one of my better wrap jobs, as luck would have it) in order to wrap over the lower sections of shifter housing in the usual manner. The shifters work fine with the housing outside of the tape, but the housing is a bit "floppy." That isn't a problem functionally, but it bothers me just a bit. Does anyone have a clever method for overwrapping the bottom-most couple of inches of housing--the part closest to the shifters, that is--to secure it a little better? I suppose I could try some sort of Rivendell-esque band of twine, but I'm no doubt there are other approaches that would work as well or better. What have you got?
Ifn it was me, I would just wrap another layer over the whole thing.

I know it goes against the grain here but I double wrap most of my bars for extra cushion anyway and especially if the tape is ratty like on a new acquisition.

The last couple that I have done I just wrapped the upper half and called it good.

I also just reinforce the area at the brake lever with electrical tape if the hoods or tape start to come loose or breakdown.

My hands have always gone numb pretty easy and seem to be getting worse.
Likes For merziac:
Old 06-02-22, 12:37 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3864 Post(s)
Liked 6,450 Times in 3,190 Posts
It's a bit frustrating in the short term when you have to retape your bars quickly if you change out your stem or whatever, but it's worth it. Take a little pride.
Old 06-02-22, 12:40 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
I guess if I had to think through this for a clean look, it would probably take these steps:

1) Remove shifters (I know, I know...)
2) Position housing end where it needs to be to fit properly against the shifter
3) Start tape with matching tape a few inches from the end, matching the original wrap's direction
4) Tuck tape into the bar end
5) Replace shifter

Mind you, I haven't done this, so I may be missing something simple that would thwart this, but this is where I'd start.
Old 06-02-22, 12:54 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
I'm guessing that you wrapped from the bottom to the top, so there is no tape to work with at the bar end. If I am wrong you can ignore me now. If I am right you are sort of screwed for an elegant save; but with a deft touch you may be able to cut and add and dress it up.
Old 06-02-22, 01:00 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,635 Times in 2,600 Posts
I would just slice the tape clean at the bar end, insert pod, then use super glue to secure the tape end (with some scotch tape to hold the end secure while the glue dries).
Old 06-02-22, 01:54 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
What I've done is waxed thread a la Rivendell, with ~.5" right at the shifters and another wrapping about the same size by the bends. I've had a couple singlespeeds that grew derailleur hangers...
Old 06-02-22, 02:43 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Need a picture of your bars as is. Use cotton tape and wrap over the housing from the shifters to beginning of the bend so that the housing goes up just a bit and heads back down towards the housing stops on your DT. It won't take much tape. Contrasting color would be cool. Finish off the wrap with twine or normal electrical tape.
Old 06-02-22, 03:10 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Some bar end control bikes had the cable housing appear early - just beyond the straight return.

tape the housing on provisionally to double check the cable housing lengths and where you wish the cabling to exit and reward the bars. No kludge.
Old 06-02-22, 03:12 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Forgot - some Japanese brands used a section of clear vinyl tubing to slide on and protect the frame- the days of raw stainless housing
Old 06-02-22, 03:37 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
It's a bit frustrating in the short term when you have to retape your bars quickly if you change out your stem or whatever, but it's worth it. Take a little pride.
But... but..I have always prided myself on not using more bar tape than strictly necessary. I am at a stand.

--Ogden Nash
Old 06-02-22, 03:55 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
But... but..I have always prided myself on not using more bar tape than strictly necessary. I am at a stand.
Looks good, easy, cheap.
Pick two.
Old 06-02-22, 04:05 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Ifn it was me, I would just wrap another layer over the whole thing.

I know it goes against the grain here but I double wrap most of my bars for extra cushion anyway and especially if the tape is ratty like on a new acquisition.

The last couple that I have done I just wrapped the upper half and called it good.

I also just reinforce the area at the brake lever with electrical tape if the hoods or tape start to come loose or breakdown.

My hands have always gone numb pretty easy and seem to be getting worse.
Beat me to it! I've been using double-thickness wrapping on all my drop bars for over 30 years, since undergoing surgery to repair ulnar nerve damage. If you've never tried it, you'd be amazed at the increase in comfort, as well as in protection of the sensitive nerves in your hands.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 06-02-22, 04:20 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Unwrap and rewrap with the same tape should be an option unless you want a perfect look
Old 06-02-22, 04:38 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 2,509 Times in 1,049 Posts
Three obvious solutions being overlooked here. (1) Go with stem mounted shifters. (2) Convert the bike to a fixie. (3) Sell the bike and use the cash to buy one that already has barcons.

Okay, I didn't they they were good solutions.
Old 06-02-22, 05:00 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
We are missing some details. Cloth tape? Bottom up or top down? I assume you would have said so if it was shellacked.
Anyway, assuming it’s cloth, you could trim the end flush, then wrap just the housing portion in the drops top-down, tuck the ends in and re-insert the shifters. Pretty simple and wouldn’t look as kludgy as wrapping with twine or whatever.
Alternatively, just pull the tape off and re-wrap. If you did it once you can do it again. I have had pretty good luck re-using cloth tape by wrapping it on a piece of fat dowel as I remove it. Obviously all bets are off if it’s shellacked.

Last edited by due ruote; 06-02-22 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-02-22, 05:09 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Three obvious solutions being overlooked here. (1) Go with stem mounted shifters. (2) Convert the bike to a fixie. (3) Sell the bike and use the cash to buy one that already has barcons.

Okay, I didn't they they were good solutions.
Funny, but seriously, good stem shifters on a friction shifting bike is a solution that shouldn't be dismissed. If you ride on the hoods or tops almost exclusively it can be more convenient than bar ends. (Hope this statement doesn't cost me my vintage bike tourist certificate!)
Likes For Cycle Tourist:
Old 06-02-22, 05:14 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 390 Posts
Reuse the tape.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 06-02-22, 05:28 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
The obvious solution is being overlooked here. Buy another bike with barcons.

This is the correct solution
fify
Old 06-02-22, 05:30 PM
jonwvara 

Originally Posted by due ruote
We are missing some details. Cloth tape? Bottom up or top down? I assume you would have said so if it was shellacked.
Anyway, assuming it’s cloth, you could trim the end flush, then wrap just the housing portion in the drops top-down, tuck the ends in and re-insert the shifters. Pretty simple and wouldn’t look as kludgy as wrapping with twine or whatever.
Alternatively, just pull the tape off and re-wrap. If you did it once you can do it again. I have had pretty good luck re-using cloth tape by wrapping it on a piece of fat dowel as I remove it. Obviously all bets are off if it’s shellacked.
It's cheapish "cork" tape, wrapped from the bottom, secured at the top with a strip of red electrical tape (tape is black, bike is red). I'll post a picture tomorrow. Barcons are already installed, so I'm not redoing the cabling at this point. That ship has sailed.

My experience with removing and rewrapping this brand of tape, which has an adhesive strip, is that it can be done, but only if you do so immediately--otherwise it rips instead of peeling cleanly away from the bars. This bike has only been ridden a couple of times, but the tape has been on there for a couple of years. No way could it be reused.

--Ogden Nash
Likes For jonwvara:
Old 06-02-22, 05:54 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,269 Times in 1,272 Posts

This is the way the Mondia is wrapped with cables exiting like Aero brake cables
My Mondia is the only bike I have that uses bar end shifters. This is how they were done when the bike was new. I looked at a Bicycling Magazine review of the bike when it was new and copied it. This would require doing the bar tape over but no floppy cables, nice and tidy.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 06-02-22, 07:04 PM
jonwvara 

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
This is the way the Mondia is wrapped with cables exiting like Aero brake cables
My Mondia is the only bike I have that uses bar end shifters. This is how they were done when the bike was new. I looked at a Bicycling Magazine review of the bike when it was new and copied it. This would require doing the bar tape over but no floppy cables, nice and tidy.
Nice! I've seen that on a couple of older bikes. Does it add a lot of friction to the shifting effort? It would seem to add a lot of cable, housing, and a bunch of extra curves.

--Ogden Nash
Old 06-03-22, 02:37 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,269 Times in 1,272 Posts
I have nothing to compare it to but they work very well . There doesn’t seem to be any binding, of course the trick to setting up bar ends is getting just the right amount of friction. The first time I went out on a ride I didn’t have enough tension on them and I got some ghost shifting while climbing a hill and it wasn’t fun. My daughter has SunTour type that have a ratchet action that the Campy ones don’t have.

Last edited by Kabuki12; 06-03-22 at 02:40 AM.
Old 06-03-22, 09:01 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 985 Times in 518 Posts
Cut and remove the tape from the brakes down. The rewrap bottom up including the housing under it how you want it. Then finish with electrical tape covering both the top section at the brakes and the freshly wrapped bottom section.
Old 06-03-22, 10:05 AM
obuckler
“Senior” Member

Bikes: 71 Lygie—72 Raleigh Grand Prix—76 Raleigh Super Course—76 Bruce Gordon—74 Raleigh International(2)—2005 Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Nice! I've seen that on a couple of older bikes. Does it add a lot of friction to the shifting effort? It would seem to add a lot of cable, housing, and a bunch of extra curves.
I first set up Campagnolo barcons on my 71 Lygie wrapped along the bars like the Mondia above. I did not
like the feel so I switched it back to the original routing with one big curve from the bottom of the bar. It was a big improvement. I was using the original coiled housing but with a new liner. I also know tension on the barcon should be kept as light as possible.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.