Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Do these RD positions look normal (chain length inquiry)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-22, 08:50 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts

No matter how many times I watch a video I’m always worried I didn’t size them chain properly. This is a brand new build so I’ve got no existing chain to compare it too.
I did the whole big ring big ring match up and add 2 links.
I haven’t dialed in the RD yet so the chain only goes up to the second to last cog, but I feel like maybe it’s straining too much already? Is that an indicator of chain being too short?

Any I’m not sure if pictures help because every setup is different, but I took some pics of big-small, small-small, and big-big. Let me know if they look correct-ish? Or if I need to go buy another chain and try again.

Old 06-04-22, 09:10 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
That's fine. You could go one link set longer if you wanted to, but what you'd done is good.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 06-04-22, 09:19 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
In pic 3 you don't seem to be in the biggest rear cog (physically biggest, not biggest by ratio).
Old 06-04-22, 09:28 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
That's fine. You could go one link set longer if you wanted to, but what you'd done is good.
It looks by the picture that if he added another link, the cage would fold all the way over and touch on small-small. It's pretty loose as it is.
Old 06-04-22, 09:52 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
In pic 3 you don't seem to be in the biggest rear cog (physically biggest, not biggest by ratio).
The pic is playing tricks, making the motion of the spokes to appear as "teeth" of a cog.
Old 06-04-22, 10:10 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
You are fine just the way it is. Small-small isn't completely slack and big-big isn't stretched too tight.
Old 06-04-22, 10:12 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by Troul
The pic is playing tricks, making the motion of the spokes to appear as "teeth" of a cog.
Maybe, but take a good close up look here where I marked it and tell me if you still feel it's illusion.

Those teeth appear to be sticking right through the rollers on the chain. So I'll think that cog is behind the chain.

Last edited by Iride01; 06-04-22 at 10:16 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-04-22, 11:51 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

I mentioned in the OP that it wasn’t up to the biggest cog because I haven’t dialed in the RD yet since I just cabled it.
Likes For the sci guy:
Old 06-04-22, 11:56 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
I mentioned in the OP that it wasn’t up to the biggest cog because I haven’t dialed in the RD yet since I just cabled it.
people don't read fully. I'm as guilty as anyone else.
Old 06-04-22, 01:05 PM
Troul 

Maybe, but take a good close up look here where I marked it and tell me if you still feel it's illusion.

Those teeth appear to be sticking right through the rollers on the chain. So I'll think that cog is behind the chain.
I was looking at the top & missed that. Good eye!
Old 06-04-22, 01:08 PM
Troul 

What I would try is reducing the chain wrap by about 1/4" & increasing the initial forward sweep ratio a 1/4 turn at the rear der.
Old 06-04-22, 01:09 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
Looks pretty good to me although you should try the big/big combo to make sure the derailleur cage isn't near horizontal in that gear but lengthening the chain may cause interference on the small/small. Solution is to try not to use the big/big or small/small and all other combos will be fine.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 06-04-22, 01:30 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
The danger choice is the biggest to biggest combo. The smallest to smallest might result in some odd shifting or even jump the chain. But it'll be embarrassing and recoverable rather than disastrous. The risk is a solid stretch and bind where the chain goes "hard tight" and bad things going "BOOM!".

Once you adjust things so it does fit big to big try it again. Ensure that as the chain climbs over the crests of the teeth at both front and then at the rear that the chain does not actually go solidly tight. If it does you'll need to add another link pair.

You'll know it's tight when you feel the slowly turning pedal cranks go " hard tight" over a very few degrees of pedal travel. So do turn the cranks fairly slow like one rev over about 2 seconds or so. So fast enough that it'll shift cleanly. But slowly enough that if the chain does get firmly and "hard pebble" tight you can just stop the pedals before anything sees excessive force.

You're looking to avoid the sort of feel you get when a grocery cart wheel has to bump over a pebble. It will get "springy" tight due to the extension of the derailleur. That'll be felt as a gradual rise in the firmness in the hand pressure. But you want to avoid a hard bump sort of feel in the pedal crank as you turn it smoothly by hand. If you feel it suddenly get very firm over just a few degrees of rotation that's time to stop.

That's a lot of description of something which can be hard to put clearly into words. I hope it helps.
Likes For BCRider:
Old 06-04-22, 01:38 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Huh, so you did!

Oh well, who reads anyway today? Especially when we got good pics and a well written title! My bad, might have done better in high school if I'd just read the text books..
Old 06-04-22, 01:40 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Originally Posted by BCRider
The danger choice is the biggest to biggest combo. The smallest to smallest might result in some odd shifting or even jump the chain. But it'll be embarrassing and recoverable rather than disastrous. The risk is a solid stretch and bind where the chain goes "hard tight" and bad things going "BOOM!".

Once you adjust things so it does fit big to big try it again. Ensure that as the chain climbs over the crests of the teeth at both front and then at the rear that the chain does not actually go solidly tight. If it does you'll need to add another link pair.

You'll know it's tight when you feel the slowly turning pedal cranks go " hard tight" over a very few degrees of pedal travel. So do turn the cranks fairly slow like one rev over about 2 seconds or so. So fast enough that it'll shift cleanly. But slowly enough that if the chain does get firmly and "hard pebble" tight you can just stop the pedals before anything sees excessive force.

You're looking to avoid the sort of feel you get when a grocery cart wheel has to bump over a pebble. It will get "springy" tight due to the extension of the derailleur. That'll be felt as a gradual rise in the firmness in the hand pressure. But you want to avoid a hard bump sort of feel in the pedal crank as you turn it smoothly by hand. If you feel it suddenly get very firm over just a few degrees of rotation that's time to stop.

That's a lot of description of something which can be hard to put clearly into words. I hope it helps.
I gotcha. Thanks for taking the time to write it out.

and yeah now that I have this many gear options I probably won’t put myself into big-big very often - I’m used to my downtube friction shift 2x6 that does big - big just fine but is a normal gear because those old cassettes are much smaller tooth count.
Old 06-04-22, 01:52 PM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
It looks by the picture that if he added another link, the cage would fold all the way over and touch on small-small. It's pretty loose as it is.
You are incorrect.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 06-04-22, 01:54 PM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by Troul
What I would try is reducing the chain wrap by about 1/4" & increasing the initial forward sweep ratio a 1/4 turn at the rear der.
What on earth are you talking about?
Old 06-04-22, 01:54 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

ok got the RD dialed in - here’s a pic of it in big-big. I don’t foresee me using this gear much. The chain isn’t super tight. I can still push it with my finger between the jockey and the crank and it gives probably 3/4” or more.
Likes For the sci guy:
Old 06-04-22, 01:56 PM
BCRider

Huh, so you did!

Oh well, who reads anyway today? Especially when we got good pics and a well written title! My bad, might have done better in high school if I'd just read the text books..
Wouldn't we all have... wouldn't we all.....

My favorite story was the one about the trick test where the INSTRUCTIONS stated to simply fill in the student's name and do either no questions or only the last then wait quiety. Apparently the lion's share madly read and answered all the questions. Just one or two read the instructions and did as instructed....... I try to pretend I'm a little like a lawyer and read things more carefully ever since. Especially since even when they didn't intend to be confusing some teachers wrote questions that made one stop and say "Wha.... ? ! ? ! ? ! ?"
Likes For BCRider:
Old 06-04-22, 01:59 PM
BCRider

ok got the RD dialed in - here’s a pic of it in big-big. I don’t foresee me using this gear much. The chain isn’t super tight. I can still push it with my finger between the jockey and the crank and it gives probably 3/4” or more.
That looks great. You've easily got enough to deal with the chain passing over the teeth. But it's not so loose that you could remove a whole link pair without causing an issue either. And as you showed in the opening post pics the small-small does not cause the idler cogs to rub at all. So... NAILED IT!
Likes For BCRider:
Old 06-04-22, 02:05 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Originally Posted by BCRider
Wouldn't we all have... wouldn't we all.....

My favorite story was the one about the trick test where the INSTRUCTIONS stated to simply fill in the student's name and do either no questions or only the last then wait quiety. Apparently the lion's share madly read and answered all the questions. Just one or two read the instructions and did as instructed....... I try to pretend I'm a little like a lawyer and read things more carefully ever since. Especially since even when they didn't intend to be confusing some teachers wrote questions that made one stop and say "Wha.... ? ! ? ! ? ! ?"
Yup, I remember this- I am a former 5th grade teacher and I used to give this to my students as an exercise in “paying attention” and “following instructions.” It was always fun.
Old 06-04-22, 05:56 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
the sci guy You are making very good progress on your CAAD4. The photo in post #18 above looks fine. How is the same chain in small / small?

Not that you should ever ride in that combination. Shimano dealer manual for the FD says to expect chain rub when on the small chain ring and the four smallest cogs. DM-RAFD001-05-ENG.pdf (shimano.com) at page 4.

The huge difference in RD position between big/big and small/small (in post #1) is to be expected given that you are using a GS derailleur and the biggest possible cassette (11-34) for that RD.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 06-04-22, 07:04 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
No matter how many times I watch a video I’m always worried I didn’t size them chain properly. This is a brand new build so I’ve got no existing chain to compare it too.
I did the whole big ring big ring match up and add 2 links.
I haven’t dialed in the RD yet so the chain only goes up to the second to last cog, but I feel like maybe it’s straining too much already? Is that an indicator of chain being too short?

Any I’m not sure if pictures help because every setup is different, but I took some pics of big-small, small-small, and big-big. Let me know if they look correct-ish? Or if I need to go buy another chain and try again.

Looks about right to me.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 06-04-22, 07:10 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Afternoon update:

dialed in the RD as mentioned above, finished off wrapping the bars and got my saddle on, set my seat height and took it for a quick spin around the neighborhood…

And everything shifted very well. A few clicks or minor rub on the FD but overall I think I got it.

Thanks for the input, yall. Definitely relieved some stress I was having.