Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.
View Poll Results: Stem Length -- choose the greater option if in betwen
Less than 100mm
7.69%
110mm+
15.38%
120mm+
15.38%
130mm+
15.38%
140mm+
30.77%
150mm+
15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Stem Length

Old 07-14-22, 02:35 PM
Bisexcycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Stem Length

Now on 38cm bars and a 120mm -7 deg this season. I'm thinking of sliding my seat forward (aft) (its slid back now) and trying a 130-140mm stem

I know it's completely personal and subjective to the individual person and there are a billion other variables, but I'm CURIOUS what length stem do you run?? post your stem length and degree and bar width too and additional information if you'd like.

I've seen a lot of pro's run a raised stem for mass start racing. (small bike + raised stem combo?)

Last edited by Bisexcycle; 07-14-22 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-15-22, 07:33 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Saddle position should be based on your fit relative to the bottom bracket. Once you have your saddle position set, you determine your appropriate handlebar position.

What others ride is irrelevant. And yes, more and more track racers are going with high bars so they can bet a full bend in their elbows, which puts them in a more aero position.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 07-15-22, 02:48 PM
Bisexcycle

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
All bikes are personal to fit each unique person. While fork rake and handlebars also change the cockpit variables I believe there is a trend of long stems on track bikes and would just like to know how extreme this goes. Pure curiosity, not for my fit.
Likes For Bisexcycle:
Old 07-19-22, 12:05 AM
bicievino

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I've been on a 140mm stem for most of this season with the 30/34cm aerocoach bars.
Just got the 31/33cm VeloFlyer enduro bars, and swapped up to a 150mm stem at the same time.

​​​​​​But I agree with everyone else: my fit doesn't mean a dang thing about what will work for you.
Likes For bicievino:
Old 07-20-22, 09:13 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
So normally I run a really long stem with my compact bars on my road bike. But my 37cm track bars are very long reach, very big drop (relatively speaking). So I can run a shorter stem. I tried to go longer but the front end gets a bit squirrelly.

Thing is that on my road bike (50cm ST virtually, 40cm c-t, 12 cm HT including headset) I have a 56.5 TT with a 75.5 STA, and run a 14.5 stem. On the track bike (50cm c-t, 12 cm HT) it's a 57 TT, 74.5 STA, but the longer reach bars mean the 12 stem works. Plus it's stiff as f. I told someone "I wish this were my road bike". I'd love to have my track bike be my road bike, with gears and brakes. I really, really like my track bike.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Likes For carpediemracing:
Old 07-22-22, 10:45 AM
Bisexcycle

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
[QUOTE=bicievino;22579388]I've been on a 140mm stem for most of this season with the 30/34cm aerocoach bars.
Just got the 31/33cm VeloFlyer enduro bars, and swapped up to a 150mm stem at the same time.
"

Wow how tall are you. I'm thinking of going narrower. Like 36cm which isn't that narrow at all but maybe for my shoulder length
Old 07-22-22, 11:38 AM
bicievino

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
[QUOTE=Bisexcycle;22583731]
Originally Posted by bicievino
I've been on a 140mm stem for most of this season with the 30/34cm aerocoach bars.
"

Wow how tall are you. I'm thinking of going narrower. Like 36cm which isn't that narrow at all but maybe for my shoulder length
I'm 5'8", but with a long torso and short stubby legs like a corgi.
Old 07-24-22, 01:39 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by bicievino
I'm 5'8", but with a long torso and short stubby legs like a corgi.
ha like me. 5'7", my actual inseam is less than 28" (but I wear 30" inseam jeans).

Friend who is about 6'3" can sit on my bike like it's a Harley but the reach, although definitely short, is almost right for him.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson