Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A lot of the recent "innovation" is a bad bargain for anyone not pushing a competitiv

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

A lot of the recent "innovation" is a bad bargain for anyone not pushing a competitiv

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-22, 03:56 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,860 Times in 6,072 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
The problem is that it's fairly common that people think they can buy large differences in performance. It's also fairly common for people to think they need an expensive bike.
You can buy only large differences in performance if you start low enough. The jump in performance from a $300 bike to a $3000 bike is enormous. Beyond that, it's all incremental.

Most divers can't afford Rolexes (and Rolexes aren't very useful for diving either).
Which makes being waterproof to 300 m superfluous.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-24-22, 03:58 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
People who spend what to others seem like ridiculous amounts on select items rarely judge those who spend less yet, it does not apply the other way around.
BS
Snobbery is still a thing, get real.

And for someone who doesn't care, you sure went a long way to tell us what you spend on things.
Old 07-24-22, 04:06 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by timtak
By 2030 one half of Americans will be obese with a BMI of 30 or more by 2030 and currently about 300,000, or one in a hundred Americans, die of it per year. I think that everything that facilitates this gets normalised. Not only bigger portions of food, yes as you say, baggy clothes, bigger houses, bigger cars, and also road bikes too. The road bikes are for me a little different to the others in that it is not apparent that they are fat facilitating. The tall headtubes go almost unnoticed. I had no idea.

I thought road bikes were fast because they are lighter, when it is pretty much all in the body position.

I am not sure how many people go to bike shops hoping to be helped back to fitness only to be sold un-aerodynamic bling (or a "Rolex") and how many give up cycling partly as a consequence, and how many fail to lose weight, and then die partly facilitated in that way but I hope it is none at all.
So, you're saying that right now, people go to bike shops and buy bikes that are unaerodynamic to mimic the pros, who, you say, ride those unaerodynamic bikes in aerodynamic positions when it counts, like on breakaways or at the front of the peloton, but most non-pros will give up cycling because they're too comfortable and will thus grow fat and die, and instead they need to get a rig like yours where you can rest your sternum on the top of the stem and you had to get a toilet seat for a saddle because your gonads were being crushed, and that having a goal of being skinny enough to ride this torture device will motivate them to lose weight and not die?

To quote Ebenezer Scrooge, "I'll retire to Bedlam."

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-24-22, 04:14 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
You can buy only large differences in performance if you start low enough. The jump in performance from a $300 bike to a $3000 bike is enormous. Beyond that, it's all incremental.
Yes.

Which makes being waterproof to 300 m superfluous.
It's not any more superfluous than the rest of the watch. It's part of the mystique of the Rolex.

This monstrosity is a better example of "superfluity".

https://watchmydiamonds.com/rolex-da...ch-126231.html

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-24-22 at 04:24 PM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 07-24-22, 04:32 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I think we're all losing sight of the important issue -- road bikes sold today ARE KILLING PEOPLE because they are not set up like TikTok's bike. By his own estimate, 5% of new cyclists DIE because they are sold bikes that are comfortable. (One can only imagine how many more die because they buy comfortable clothes and shoes!)
I think the really disturbing statistic is that 100% of people who are sold comfortable bikes will, in fact, die.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 07-24-22, 04:36 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
BS
Snobbery is still a thing, get real.

And for someone who doesn't care, you sure went a long way to tell us what you spend on things.
You are correct snobbery is a thing. Just check these forums and there are countless posts of people bragging on the great deal they got or how they spend less than the other guy. It’s a version of reverse snobbery. People who spend liberally and pay list price rather than grind the shop just stay quiet about it and enjoy their bikes.

My post seems to have hit a nerve with a few people yet everyone has selectively edited out the part we are all being ridiculous discussing price points when 50% of the world lives on less than $6.00 a day. From the preferred Continental GP5000 tire to Wahoo Bolt bike computer are all exorbitant luxuries for billions of people.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 07-24-22 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-24-22, 05:46 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
You are correct snobbery is a thing. Just check these forums and there are countless posts of people bragging on the great deal they got or how they spend less than the other guy. It’s a version of reverse snobbery. People who spend liberally and pay list price rather than grind the shop just stay quiet about it and enjoy their bikes.

My post seems to have hit a nerve with a few people yet everyone has selectively edited out the part we are all being ridiculous discussing price points when 50% of the world lives on less than $6.00 a day. From the preferred Continental GP5000 tire to Wahoo Bolt bike computer are all exorbitant luxuries for billions of people.

You flatter yourself, no nerves were hit. I don't like the snobbery or the reverse snobbery, but there's plenty of both on bf.
Old 07-24-22, 06:05 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
You flatter yourself, no nerves were hit. I don't like the snobbery or the reverse snobbery, but there's plenty of both on bf.
Here is a post of yours earlier today. No snobbery or judgement from you!

“I'm pretty sure a "long ride" for this guy is 6 minutes”
Old 07-24-22, 06:25 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26392 Post(s)
Liked 10,366 Times in 7,197 Posts

...most of the people in this particular "general" forum do not post in the Politics and Religion form, which is a separate deal.
You can get permission to post in that forum, since you have enough history on BF to qualify, but you need to contact the moderation team

Then you can start a thread on exactly this topic. And no one will care much or respond, because there are only like, maybe a dozen people who post in there regularly.
As a bonus, with the username "Atlas Shrugged", I can only imagine the joy and hilarity you will bring to that place, which has been pretty grim lately.
Old 07-24-22, 06:27 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26392 Post(s)
Liked 10,366 Times in 7,197 Posts

...who is John Galt ?
Old 07-24-22, 06:31 PM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
So, you're saying that right now, people go to bike shops and buy bikes that are unaerodynamic to mimic the pros, who, you say, ride those unaerodynamic bikes in aerodynamic positions when it counts, like on breakaways or at the front of the peloton, but most non-pros will give up cycling because they're too comfortable and will thus grow fat and die, and instead they need to get a rig like yours where you can rest your sternum on the top of the stem and you had to get a toilet seat for a saddle because your gonads were being crushed, and that having a goal of being skinny enough to ride this torture device will motivate them to lose weight and not die? To quote Ebenezer Scrooge, "I'll retire to Bedlam."
Bedlam? no no no.....

People go to bike shops to buy a road bike. Road bikes are lighter (which makes surprisingly little difference), and have a little less rolling resistance (which also makes surprisingly little difference, if you pump up tires) but their major advantage is in the rider position, especially torso lowering. Road bikes are, if they are to be faster, bikes which incorporate torso lowering. Aerodynamic drag of the riders body is about 60% the resistance that we are trying to overcome. It is difficult to get our legs out of the wind (unless we ride a recumbent, which are faster still than roadbikes), so dropping the torso is by far the biggest advantage of the traditional road bike. Bending elbows to get forearms out of the wind, and using narrower bars help but only a little.

In the past twenty years the pros and the bikes that bike shops like to sell, and our egos like to buy, that mimic the pros ride have become more like mountain bikes, with a more upright less aerodynamic riding position. This may be due to the fact perhaps that there are fewer breakaways these days in the pro peloton - which enormously reduces the effect of aerodynamics.The change in bicycle style may also be partly due to the type of bikes that bike shops can sell to overweight people.

Pros generally ride very highly, too highly, aerodynamic bikes (time trial bikes) when they are riding on their own. The features that time trial bikes have to allow solo riding pros to go fast, such as two sets of bars, very narrow bar spacing, and brakes separate from gear shifting make them unsuitable for most amateurs riding on roads with cars. Amateurs ride solo, but unfortunately it is almost impossible for them to mimic the pros' solo bikes.

As far as I know the pros do not change their bike when they intend to be part of a breakaway. Even in breakaways the pros tend to use an aero line where they take it in turns to go at the front. Quite amazingly to me in the recent national championships in the UK, Marc Cavendish seemed to be the only one of the four (?) in the lead breakaway that seemed to be concentrating on aerodynamics, partly by using a bike smaller that would ordinarily be offered to someone of his height at bike shop (he has in the past described his bike as a kids bike).

Amateurs are not given enough advice about the enormous effect of aerodynamics but are instead pointed towards the road bikes that the pros ride using the logic that as pros whose earnings depend on speed choose these bikes, these must be the fastest. This logic also promotes the sale of branded, sponsoring bikes which are considerably more expensive than unbranded bikes that might do the job just as well. But this advice is incorrect because the pros bikes are increasingly unaerodymic due to the increased dominance of the peloton.

The comfortable unaerodynamic bikes may allow more people to take up road bike riding, but for some people, (me at least) they prevent people from enjoying it. They are based on the bikes used by those riding in a group (which is a bike like riding behind a truck, or with a gale force tailwind) so for the lone rider, riding a comfortable bike is like dragging a parachute. It is like going to a racket shop and being offered a tennis racket to play badminton. The tennis racket has advantages (such as it is strong) and the Pro-road bike has advantages (such as it may be very light) but the tennis racket is not made for playing badminton and the Pro-road-bike is not made for solo riding.

As you can imagine, people equipped with devices unsuited to the recreation that they are taking up are more likely to give it up, less likely to really enjoy it, less likely to do it with vigour, and use calories and be exhilarated. This (as many other changes in our society) has negative impacts upon health and longevity.

Originally Posted by ofajen
I think the really disturbing statistic is that 100% of people who are sold comfortable bikes will, in fact, die. Otto
I have become, via Nietsche, Shinto and Buddhism, a Christian in my old age, or I am tending that way. Christianity seems to be now to be really scientific in some ways at least, so I wonder if in fact everyone does die. But there is a road bike related part.

All over the world when people engage in religious activities they bow their heads and look down (Christian, Shinto and Buddhist prayer), in supplication, and prostration (Islam, Tibetan Buddhism) and get into traditional (but not recent) road bike position. I am unable to give the reason but I think that Dali does in his picture below. Please note that the apostles are in road bike position, that Jesus is pointing to himself, and to a torso floating in the air above. Then ride your bike long and low.

The apostles in road bike position

Last edited by timtak; 07-24-22 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-24-22, 06:53 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9652 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
I think we're all losing sight of the important issue -- road bikes sold today ARE KILLING PEOPLE because they are not set up like TikTok's bike. By his own estimate, 5% of new cyclists DIE because they are sold bikes that are comfortable. (One can only imagine how many more die because they buy comfortable clothes and shoes!)
Uh oh. I ride a Domane and a hybrid. Probably should get my affairs in order.

I think what a lot of us forget is that a $3000 bike is ALREADY an M5 compared to the "average" bike. This is more like comparing say, the base Porsche 911 Carrera with the 911 GT3 - the Carrera is already so fast and capable that you'd only notice the difference at a much higher level of driving than you do every day.
This.

Originally Posted by ofajen
I think the really disturbing statistic is that 100% of people who are sold comfortable bikes will, in fact, die.

Otto
I told my wife, and told her that to avoid such a fate I need a more racey bike. She just smiled and said, “Okay, but you don’t need another bike.”
Old 07-24-22, 06:56 PM
Mojo31
-------

Weird just got weirder.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 07-24-22, 06:56 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Weird just got weirder.
"Just"?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-24-22, 07:04 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I told my wife, and told her that to avoid such a fate I need a more racey bike. She just smiled and said, “Okay, but you don’t need another bike.”
Smart. Alternatively, she could have noted the equally disturbing statistic that 100% of people who buy racey bikes do, in fact, die.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 07-24-22, 07:10 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts

And Jesus in the Comfort Bike position. Think about that next time you ponder..... What Would Jesus Do?
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 07-24-22, 07:19 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Uh oh. I ride a Domane and a hybrid. Probably should get my affairs in order.
Switch to 21 mm tires inflated to 140 psi, and avoid smooth pavement. The lack of comfort will increase your life expectancy by several years.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-24-22, 07:23 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by Kapusta
And Jesus in the Comfort Bike position. Think about that next time you ponder..... What Would Jesus Do?
Surrender so he could be nailed to a cross in a parachute pose?
Old 07-24-22, 07:24 PM
tomato coupe

Weird just got weirder.
I thought Japan had very strict laws against recreational drug use ...

Also, why am I suddenly craving a bowl of Fruit Loops?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-24-22, 07:25 PM
Mojo31
-------

Switch to 21 mm tires inflated to 140 psi, and avoid smooth pavement. The lack of comfort will increase your life expectancy by several years.
And here I thought I was punishing myself switching the 32s to 28s. 😔
Old 07-24-22, 07:27 PM
tomato coupe

And here I thought I was punishing myself switching the 32s to 28s. 😔
No, 28s are still too comfortable -- they're a veritable death sentence for anyone with a BMI > 23.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-24-22, 07:28 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bedlam? no no no.....

People go to bike shops to buy a road bike. Road bikes are lighter (which makes surprisingly little difference), and have a little less rolling resistance (which also makes surprisingly little difference, if you pump up tires) but their major advantage is in the rider position, especially torso lowering. Road bikes are, if they are to be faster, bikes which incorporate torso lowering. Aerodynamic drag of the riders body is about 60% the resistance that we are trying to overcome. It is difficult to get our legs out of the wind (unless we ride a recumbent, which are faster still than roadbikes), so dropping the torso is by far the biggest advantage of the traditional road bike. Bending elbows to get forearms out of the wind, and using narrower bars help but only a little.

In the past twenty years the pros and the bikes that bike shops like to sell, and our egos like to buy, that mimic the pros ride have become more like mountain bikes, with a more upright less aerodynamic riding position. This may be due to the fact perhaps that there are fewer breakaways these days in the pro peloton - which enormously reduces the effect of aerodynamics.The change in bicycle style may also be partly due to the type of bikes that bike shops can sell to overweight people.

Pros generally ride very highly, too highly, aerodynamic bikes (time trial bikes) when they are riding on their own. The features that time trial bikes have to allow solo riding pros to go fast, such as two sets of bars, very narrow bar spacing, and brakes separate from gear shifting make them unsuitable for most amateurs riding on roads with cars. Amateurs ride solo, but unfortunately it is almost impossible for them to mimic the pros' solo bikes.

As far as I know the pros do not change their bike when they intend to be part of a breakaway. Even in breakaways the pros tend to use an aero line where they take it in turns to go at the front. Quite amazingly to me in the recent national championships in the UK, Marc Cavendish seemed to be the only one of the four (?) in the lead breakaway that seemed to be concentrating on aerodynamics, partly by using a bike smaller that would ordinarily be offered to someone of his height at bike shop (he has in the past described his bike as a kids bike).

Amateurs are not given enough advice about the enormous effect of aerodynamics but are instead pointed towards the road bikes that the pros ride using the logic that as pros whose earnings depend on speed choose these bikes, these must be the fastest. This logic also promotes the sale of branded, sponsoring bikes which are considerably more expensive than unbranded bikes that might do the job just as well. But this advice is incorrect because the pros bikes are increasingly unaerodymic due to the increased dominance of the peloton.

The comfortable unaerodynamic bikes may allow more people to take up road bike riding, but for some people, (me at least) they prevent people from enjoying it. They are based on the bikes used by those riding in a group (which is a bike like riding behind a truck, or with a gale force tailwind) so for the lone rider, riding a comfortable bike is like dragging a parachute. It is like going to a racket shop and being offered a tennis racket to play badminton. The tennis racket has advantages (such as it is strong) and the Pro-road bike has advantages (such as it may be very light) but the tennis racket is not made for playing badminton and the Pro-road-bike is not made for solo riding.

As you can imagine, people equipped with devices unsuited to the recreation that they are taking up are more likely to give it up, less likely to really enjoy it, less likely to do it with vigour, and use calories and be exhilarated. This (as many other changes in our society) has negative impacts upon health and longevity.

I have become, via Nietsche, Shinto and Buddhism, a Christian in my old age, or I am tending that way. Christianity seems to be now to be really scientific in some ways at least, so I wonder if in fact everyone does die. But there is a road bike related part.

All over the world when people engage in religious activities they bow their heads and look down (Christian, Shinto and Buddhist prayer), in supplication, and prostration (Islam, Tibetan Buddhism) and get into traditional (but not recent) road bike position. I am unable to give the reason but I think that Dali does in his picture below. Please note that the apostles are in road bike position, that Jesus is pointing to himself, and to a torso floating in the air above. Then ride your bike long and low.

What a load of horse ****.

Last edited by genejockey; 07-24-22 at 07:37 PM.
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-24-22, 07:31 PM
tomato coupe

A true prophet would pray in the Superman position.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-24-22, 09:46 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I can't believe anyone could make such an objectively wrong statement.

Last edited by Camilo; 07-25-22 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-24-22, 09:53 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Seated Jesus in the Comfort Bike position, Floating Jesus in the Mountain Bike position

Last edited by Camilo; 07-24-22 at 09:57 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.