Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Are quick links REALLY single use?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-21-22, 11:41 AM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts

Quick links are described as “use only once” in the user/installation documentation.

is that just super cautious input from the manufacturer or truly a smart practice?

I have reused them before but, hey, maybe I was tempting fate.
Old 08-21-22, 11:58 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 212 Posts
I reuse them, seems to be OK. 10 speed is the newest fangled on any of my bikes though. The 9 speed ones you were officially allowed to reuse.
Likes For guy153:
Old 08-21-22, 12:44 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 2,045 Posts
Depends on the link. Some say 1 use, some 1 use means the life of the chain. I've always done life of the chain running 9-10 speed SRAM chains and throw the old one in my bag as a spare when replacing a chain.

No experience with 11-12 speed.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 08-21-22, 01:28 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Wippermann Connex are multiple use. Not sure about KMC or Shimano.
Likes For masi61:
Old 08-21-22, 01:50 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
Wippermann Connex are multiple use. Not sure about KMC or Shimano.
Agree about Wippermann. I use KMC chains on my folder, and it says not to re-use it but as the chain path involves only one front and one rear sprocket (IGH), I figure there's less likelihood of the link uncoupling itself. I have re-used the link about 5 times so far, and it still requires some effort to disconnect it.
Not sure how I'd feel about trusting the link on a derailleur-based drivetrain where the chain flexes sideways. But remember that you can get the Wippermann links and use them on other brands of chains.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 08-21-22, 02:25 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
I generally get around 10K miles on a KMC 10sp link with multiple chains and works out to around 20+ remove/replaces. I change it when slight grooves from wear show up in the inside of the link. Never had one fail yet.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 08-21-22, 02:26 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,774 Posts
I am very paranoid, and I re-use my Shimano links for the life of the chain. So far, I have never had a problem.

From a product liability standpoint, they have nothing to lose by telling you to change them each time. A bike shop will do that, too.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 08-21-22, 03:32 PM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 331 Posts
Using a KMC 8 speed chain here, still using the original "missing link" after about 1k miles.
Still hard to remove after about 10 times.
Likes For Aardwolf:
Old 08-21-22, 03:44 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I consider "single use" to mean "use with one chain" and toss both when worn. IIRC there was some patent or another which kept folks from advertising reuseable links, calling them single-use instead; helps sales, too.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 08-21-22, 03:57 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 334 Posts
I've always reused them. Some are directional, especially with 10-speed and greater. Make sure to get the direction correct.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 08-21-22, 04:05 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
I consider "single use" to mean "use with one chain" and toss both when worn.
+1 However, after the chain has been discarded, I keep used links with my on-bike tool kits as an emergency repair part if a chain is damaged during a ride. It only has to be good enough to get me home.
Old 08-21-22, 04:14 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
+1 However, after the chain has been discarded, I keep used links with my on-bike tool kits as an emergency repair part if a chain is damaged during a ride. It only has to be good enough to get me home.
I keep new ones as spares; I would be too lazy/forgetful to take the worn link out and replace it when I get home. I also have a little piece of coat hanger wire bent into a double hook tool to hold the chain ends while I insert and close the link, that I keep with them.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 08-21-22, 05:35 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 189 Posts
I have always assumed that single use meant, on a single chain. This makes sense as both the chain and link will wear over time. Therefore do not reuse on a new chain. Perhaps I have this wrong, but I've disconnected and reconnected the same link on a chain for the life of a chain. Probably a few dozen disconnects and reconnects for various reasons. It would be completely absurd to expect to literally only snap it together once and apart once and then not reuse it.

Common sense suggests that if it doesn't actually snap together anymore, then it should be replaced. But I've never had one that didn't still have a positive snap when reconnecting throughout the life of the chain.

Also, in all the things I've read in forums like this, I have never once read where a master link failed in any way. Not saying it hasn't happened, but I've yet to hear of it.
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 08-22-22, 06:23 AM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts
The people have spoken!
common sense has prevailed!

thanks folks!
Likes For rbrides:
Old 08-22-22, 07:44 AM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Using a KMC 8 speed chain here, still using the original "missing link" after about 1k miles. Still hard to remove after about 10 times.
Aardy, try the Wippermann Connex link mentioned above. Connects and disconnects without tools. Bike shops, online dealers and Amazon have them. Great engineering.
Likes For BCDrums:
Old 08-22-22, 08:05 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Originally Posted by BCDrums
Aardy, try the Wippermann Connex link mentioned above. Connects and disconnects without tools. Bike shops, online dealers and Amazon have them. Great engineering.
Interesting, quite expensive on Ebay or Amazon but £4 at SJS Cycles, I've made a note.
I've got the removal pliers for KMC links, but the link isn't going to fall off any time soon.
Old 08-22-22, 09:40 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 413 Posts
What has changed? 10-15 years ago it seemed like ANY use of quick links was considered substandard care/maintenance. Now it seems like the preferred method for chain connection. Has the quality of quick links improved? Are they now engineered to the same standards as a normal chain link? Or have cyclists just come to accept them as they are, and just deal with the slight inferiority compared to a traditional link?

Dan
Old 08-22-22, 10:07 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3482 Post(s)
Liked 2,903 Times in 1,764 Posts
Interesting, quite expensive on Ebay or Amazon
Seriously?
Old 08-22-22, 10:24 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Originally Posted by smd4
Seriously?
It might be because I'm in the UK or that I need 8 speed.

Wippermann ConneX link 8 speed
Ebay £9.49 free postage (from Spain - 1 month to arrive)
Amazon £5.89 + £9.90 postage
SJS Cycles: £4
Tredz: £4

Amazon does have the 9 speed for £4.
Old 08-22-22, 10:42 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
What has changed? 10-15 years ago it seemed like ANY use of quick links was considered substandard care/maintenance. Now it seems like the preferred method for chain connection. Has the quality of quick links improved? Are they now engineered to the same standards as a normal chain link? Or have cyclists just come to accept them as they are, and just deal with the slight inferiority compared to a traditional link?

Dan
Some of the first toolless quicklinks from the mid 90's or so had different designs and some would have a side plate crack before the chain wore out. All the current QL's have pretty much the same design and have proven to be very reliable and more so than the standard masters needing a chain tool and only because there is much more chance for user error when installing pins. Anyways the mfrs. initially recommended using a new link with a new chain which most people (understandably, thinking it might fail) didn't want to test it out themselves and why there is this thread as well as "single use" being a bit vague and overly cautious.
Old 08-22-22, 10:59 AM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
What has changed? 10-15 years ago it seemed like ANY use of quick links was considered substandard care/maintenance.
10-15 years ago was quite a long time. Perhaps you'll be happy to know that things have improved.

Has the quality of quick links improved? Are they now engineered to the same standards as a normal chain link? Or have cyclists just come to accept them as they are, and just deal with the slight inferiority compared to a traditional link?
I have noticed no inferiority and have never had a quick link open or fail in 10 or 15 years of use. And as CrankyCrank said above, using a quick link prevents user errors on our ever-narrower chains. Many chains are supplied with a quick link, I think that means the manufacturers approve of them. Have you not tried one (in the current decade)? Try the Wippermann, no tools, German precision, puts the quick in quick link.
Likes For BCDrums:
Old 08-22-22, 11:07 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
What has changed? 10-15 years ago it seemed like ANY use of quick links was considered substandard care/maintenance. Now it seems like the preferred method for chain connection. Has the quality of quick links improved?
Dan
I work at a high-volume big-city bike Co-op. When it comes to chain malfuntions, I've seen everything. If the quick link does not snap firmly in place, then there is a chance that during back-pedaling, it could disconnect and leave the chain on the ground; this has happened to me. In any case, read the manufacturer recommendation, and during installation, make sure that it snaps in place.

The quick link is still an inferior attachment method relative to the older approach of using a pressed-in pin, and then peening (mushrooming) the end of the pin. However, yesterday I saw a Shimano chain in which the pressed-in pin was only secured to only one of the two chain side plates; installation error.

Reason for quick-links: if installed with some care and observation they are good enough for the vast majority of miles put on by the vast majority of riders. The Shimano pressed-in pin was the best attachment method in terms of integrity and security, but shops hated them because they took 60 seconds longer to install, and you had to actually read the documentation. Campagnolo chains were similarly superior, but shops didn't want to buy a $200 peening tool.

PS: do NOT donate your old chain to your local bike Co-op; it causes us far more trouble than it is worth. A stretched-out chain has less than zero utility to anyone; please discard.
Old 08-22-22, 11:22 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3482 Post(s)
Liked 2,903 Times in 1,764 Posts
It might be because I'm in the UK or that I need 8 speed.

Wippermann ConneX link 8 speed
Ebay £9.49 free postage (from Spain - 1 month to arrive)
Amazon £5.89 + £9.90 postage
SJS Cycles: £4
Tredz: £4

Amazon does have the 9 speed for £4.
I was being facetious.

This is a very expensive hobby. Even quick links can be pricey. I find it silly that someone can spend several thousand on a bike and still quibble about the price of a quick link.
Old 08-22-22, 12:22 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts

Dan
I used and reused quick links 10-15 years ago, I also used and reused quick links 25-30 years ago
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 08-22-22, 02:11 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by BCDrums
10-15 years ago was quite a long time. Perhaps you'll be happy to know that things have improved.
Yes, I used quicks occasionally back then. And I use them occasionally now. But I don’t see much difference (“improvement”) in the ones from yesteryear, and the ones of today. So I ask again…what has changed? What changes have improved the individual quick link? Quality of the metal used? Closer machining tolerances? Ease of use (although that doesn’t seem to have changed)? Or have attitudes about their use changed?

Dan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.