Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Pick up your trash!

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Pick up your trash!

Old 08-22-22, 12:00 AM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 292 Posts
Pick up your trash!

First off, I seriously doubt I'm talking to anybody here. On the off chance I am, then fix yourself. If you know somebody who does this, then I suggest you invite them to find new friends.

I cannot believe how often I ride even around my small town and see old tubes and used CO2 cartridges disposed of on the side of the road. My thinking is that if you were able to carry the good stuff with you to fix a flat, you can damn sure carry the junk stuff home. What is this about? As a community, we need to police those who are irresponsible cyclists.

Like I said, I don't *think* I'm talking to most of the people here. But it sure seems like there are far too many cyclists that want to treat the shoulder of the road as a trash bin.
Old 08-22-22, 12:20 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
yah...old tubes and co2 cartridges seem to be the worst offenders but the instant energy/powerbar wrappers appear more often than i'd like. c'mon people. pack it out, pack it away responsibly.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 08-22-22, 01:20 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
It is not those people with old commuter bikes, and living on a shoestring budget that are tossing the CO2 cartridges. If they have a pump, it is a real pump.

Those CO2 cartridges are likely from people riding $1000+ bikes, and wearing their lycra and cycling jerseys pretending they're HOT STUFF.

Keep in mind that one often stops in shared space. Whether it is near someone's house, or under another person's favorite shade tree. Fixing a bike may well be an "emergency". I like to pick up after myself as a courtesy to the homeowners around me, and hopefully will be welcome to repair my bike the next time the need arises.

Do the Presta Valve nuts count? They have a way of just vanishing!!!
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 08-22-22, 01:36 AM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 324 Posts
Can't say I've ever seen a tube discarded at the side of the road. Plenty of cartridges - BUT - many are likely from nitrous huffers.

If you don't know - https://adf.org.au/insights/nitrous-no-laughing-matter/
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 08-22-22, 03:28 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 486 Posts
I occasionally see a cartridge or Gu wrapper but it’s nothing compared to the empty beer cans and empty nips I see. Most of the time I am always within eyesight of one of those.
Old 08-22-22, 03:36 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
Originally Posted by tempocyclist
Can't say I've ever seen a tube discarded at the side of the road. Plenty of cartridges - BUT - many are likely from nitrous huffers.

If you don't know - https://adf.org.au/insights/nitrous-no-laughing-matter/
There was a thread about this a couple of years ago. The OP saw a collection of cartridges. IIRC, it was along an MUP. Several of us suspected they were from nitrous users.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-22-22, 04:49 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Those CO2 cartridges are likely from people riding $1000+ bikes, and wearing their lycra and cycling jerseys pretending they're HOT STUFF.

Do the Presta Valve nuts count? They have a way of just vanishing!!!
It always amuses me when the cost of one’s bike and choice of cycling attire is commented on. But it aligns nicely with the revelation that you use Presta caps. No self-respecting $1000 bike riding, Lycra and cycling Jersey wearing cyclist would be found dead using Presta caps!!! Is there a scoffing emoji?
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 08-22-22, 09:19 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
It always amuses me when the cost of one’s bike and choice of cycling attire is commented on. But it aligns nicely with the revelation that you use Presta caps. No self-respecting $1000 bike riding, Lycra and cycling Jersey wearing cyclist would be found dead using Presta caps!!! Is there a scoffing emoji?
I use them and have a lot of self respect. They are red anodized caps. Go great with my red anodized hubs, skewers, headset and seat post collar that are part of my $7,000+ beautiful, super-fly, custom ti road bike. Don't bother with them on the commuter/tourer.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-22-22, 09:27 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 408 Posts
I’ve been seeing more CO₂ (or N2O) cartridges, and inner tubes along roadsides too. I’d think that discarded cartridges along a MUP would almost certainly be from a cyclist. As would those I see along the roadside that are laying next to a discarded inner tube. But now that I think about it…seems like the ones I’m seeing roadside are thread-less (not near an inner-tube)…perhaps tossed from passing cars where the driver/passengers are using them nefariously.
I just did a quick search for N2O cartridges and didn’t see any available that are threaded. I know that CO₂ cartridges can be threaded or thread-less…but I think most bike tire inflators use threaded cartridges…don’t they?

At any rate…cyclists shouldn’t be leaving ANYTHING behind after they stop for roadside repairs. It would be just another thing for people/motorists to be mad at cyclists about. Many times when I have to stop for flat repair, the homeowner whose house I’m in front of will come out and offer assistance or sustenance …which I always thank them for but decline. Their good deed shouldn’t result in trash being left in front of their property.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 08-22-22, 09:32 AM
Cyclcist11023131
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Trash/Nails/Screws

On one of my Loops I find between 2-7 Nails/Screws per outing. Mostly in the Bike line but many times in the road proper. Sometimes many more. I pick up what I can for self preservation and the benefit of others. Lots on the outside of curved sections of a street or Dip or Railroad Tracks. Anywhere they can bounce out of the back of a Pickup. Please take the time to collect and properly dispose in a trash receptacle. You just might be saving yourself from a flat tire, you will definitely save somebody a world of hurt.
Old 08-22-22, 09:45 AM
Rolla

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
What a judgmental pile of dog excrement. Having a nicer bike than you and clothes you don't like means they're litterbugs? Grow up.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 08-22-22, 09:46 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Humans in general are trashy, yes I am sure there are cyclists who leave trash we see wrappers from stuff that a cyclist might use and maybe we find some tubes but people generally leave trash places or it blows out of trash cans or things like that. However while the trash does suck there are many more things we do as a society that are more damaging than a wrapper or tube. This is not to say people shouldn't clean up after themselves but we should also look holistically at things and do better all across the board.
Old 08-22-22, 10:21 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I use them and have a lot of self respect. They are red anodized caps. Go great with my red anodized hubs, skewers, headset and seat post collar that are part of my $7,000+ beautiful, super-fly, custom ti road bike. Don't bother with them on the commuter/tourer.
That's the bling loophole. Bling always allowed and respected.
Old 08-22-22, 10:33 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
I so wish inner tubes and co2 cartridges were among my town's problems.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 08-22-22, 11:13 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen an old bike tube along the side of the road. If one were there, it was probably hidden by the beer cans, fast food sacks, potato chip bags, Mountain Dew bottles, drink cups, etc.

I wonder what people who found them thought about the various pumps I've left on my trunk or bike rack that fell off when I forgot to put them in my car...
Old 08-23-22, 09:13 AM
J_Chickles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts

!
Too funny ! just pulled these quotes from another thread "When Will they ever learn" and the guy is shaking his online fist about being "Fully kitted up" and on an expensive bike too -- also a flat tire situation
I guess at least the guy with no tube or tools wasnt leaving any trash at all laying about

"Out for a ride today on the bike trails. I meet up with a guy walking his $5000 bike, at least that much. He has a flat tire. He has no tools no spare tubes or patch kit. He had already walked 5 miles, and had 5 to go."

"I dont remember, it was a CF bike, very smooth and aero, and you could just look at it and tell it was very expensive. BTW to add to the picture he was fully kitted too."
Old 08-23-22, 09:22 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 1,842 Times in 830 Posts
number one thing in my area found on the side of the road is those little empty plastic bottles of Fireball cinnamon whisky.... those ****ers are everywhere....used to be Vodka bottles but Fireball whisky has the market cornered....

Last edited by cb400bill; 08-26-22 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-23-22, 09:48 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
What a judgmental pile of dog excrement. Having a nicer bike than you and clothes you don't like means they're litterbugs? Grow up.
I agree 100%. I have really expensive bikes, and cycling clothes and I hate litterbugs. I also stop and help most riders if they are having mechanical difficulties. The last two guys were on fairly budget friendly bikes. One was new to cycling and probably figured he wouldn't flat on a MUP. The other guy didn't bring his patch kit because he was only going a few miles. I have patched tubes and given away tubes. The last guy gave me 10 bux for my troubles which I tried to refuse but he insisted. Told me to use it to get another tube. I also aired up a tire for a nice lady who borrowed her daughters bike to zip aorund on .....slow leak and I got her home.

I don't ALWAYS stop and help but I do more often than not because I try and be a decent human being. I guess I understand about people having problems with how much a bike costs or what they wear to ride in.

Such attitudes are a big problem with the world right now.
Old 08-23-22, 10:33 AM
Rolla

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
I guess I understand about people having problems with how much a bike costs or what they wear to ride in.

Gatekeeping is a pervasive theme here on BF. Many members here have appointed themselves the arbiters of what a "real cyclist" must be; not surprisingly, it's always someone just like themselves. Of course it's just an admission of (and a weak defense against) their own insecurities, but it does get tedious reading the judgmental rants of grown-ass adults who simply can't handle seeing people who don't conform to their narrow requirements of acceptability. It's permanent high school, and really kind of pathetic.
Old 08-23-22, 10:56 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Gatekeeping is a pervasive theme here on BF. Many members here have appointed themselves the arbiters of what a "real cyclist" must be; not surprisingly, it's always someone just like themselves. Of course it's just an admission of (and a weak defense against) their own insecurities, but it does get tedious reading the judgmental rants of grown-ass adults who simply can't handle seeing people who don't conform to their narrow requirements of acceptability. It's permanent high school, and really kind of pathetic.
For real ..... I was trying out my new expensive enough to piss some people off mountain bike on Saturday. I saw a guy and his lady friend out on the trails (some are pretty gnarly and some not so much). She was on a fairly modern looking mountain bike .... he was on an old balloon tire city style bike that looked waaay out of place. It had a for god sake wire basket on the front of it. He was whipping it around the single track like he stole it. H probably wasn't hitting many obstacles on it but he was riding.

My thought .....Effin legend !!! I did have loose shorts and a stormtrooper tee shirt on so maybe some folks wouldn't hate on me so bad. My point being .... a jerk is a jerk ... get on your bike .....ride ....don't judge others until you establish they are a jerk. And if that's the case ..... ride away.
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 08-24-22, 11:54 AM
Lambkin55

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Curcit is my main bike

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
number one thing in my area found on the side of the road is those little empty plastic bottles of Fireball cinnamon whisky.... those fukkers are everywhere....used to be Vodka bottles but Fireball whisky has the market cornered....
Me Too!
And I live in a rural area and know exactly where they bought the stuff. They are drinking it within 1-2 miles of were they bought it.

Last edited by Lambkin55; 08-24-22 at 11:56 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-24-22, 12:20 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,166 Times in 763 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
First off, I seriously doubt I'm talking to anybody here. On the off chance I am, then fix yourself. If you know somebody who does this, then I suggest you invite them to find new friends.

I cannot believe how often I ride even around my small town and see old tubes and used CO2 cartridges disposed of on the side of the road. My thinking is that if you were able to carry the good stuff with you to fix a flat, you can damn sure carry the junk stuff home. What is this about? As a community, we need to police those who are irresponsible cyclists.

Like I said, I don't *think* I'm talking to most of the people here. But it sure seems like there are far too many cyclists that want to treat the shoulder of the road as a trash bin.
Have never seen that. But I can tell you about all sorts of beer cans and pop bottles I see.
Old 08-24-22, 12:28 PM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 430 Posts
never seen a bike tube on the road. But nip bottles, omg.
Old 08-24-22, 12:28 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Have never seen that. But I can tell you about all sorts of beer cans and pop bottles I see.
I'm hardly saying we're the major contributor. I AM saying we shouldn't be adding to it.

And like I said, I doubt many of us here actually are. But I bet there are times when we see somebody do this crap. See something, say something.
Old 08-24-22, 12:30 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,166 Times in 763 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
See something, say something.
These days...That'll probably get you stabbed by some meth head.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.