Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

My Garmin 1030+ now thinks every ride is the longest one.

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-22, 12:39 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts

I have noticed in the last few days it shows every ride as the longest ride and the most climbed even ones less then a mile.otherwise its working fine. but now I am worried it may die. though getting it exchanged would not be so bad as it has some cracks from dropping it.
Old 10-12-22, 01:27 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2238 Post(s)
Liked 3,429 Times in 1,793 Posts
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Did you recently purge it, or is the memory nearly full?

Maybe it just isn't what it is cracked up to be.

My Garmin is telling me I am 18% acclimated to the heat. We had a brief hot spell about a month ago.
Old 10-12-22, 02:02 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
I have noticed in the last few days it shows every ride as the longest ride and the most climbed even ones less then a mile.otherwise its working fine. but now I am worried it may die. though getting it exchanged would not be so bad as it has some cracks from dropping it.
Did you accept the record for your actual longest ride and most uphill? If you reject or just sleep on them your personal best might be listed as zero and then any ride you do would exceed that.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/personal-records

What does this link say?
Old 10-12-22, 02:07 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mine lists stuff going back to 2018, but I have never "accepted" any of these. So it must keep some sort of background ranking.

It lists my longest ride as only 52 miles, from 2022, so presumably at some point it discards old info.
Old 10-12-22, 03:03 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark

My Garmin is telling me I am 18% acclimated to the heat. We had a brief hot spell about a month ago.
nope have not restored it in awhile. it had some crashes a week or so ago but thats pretty normal once in awhile. I don't have many maps on it and nothing has changed but accumulative rides over the months.
Old 10-12-22, 03:07 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mine lists stuff going back to 2018, but I have never "accepted" any of these. So it must keep some sort of background ranking.

It lists my longest ride as only 52 miles, from 2022, so presumably at some point it discards old info.
I notice this gets reset if you reset the device. well maybe if you accept on the webpage I just did that for the first time.
I ride a lot usually 3 times a day sometimes 5 or 6 so it records a lot of separate rides.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 10-12-22, 03:16 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Well, good luck. it seems to have given you more trouble than the average (I seem to remember adding lights was an issue -- mine is nearly flawless with that, fwiw)
Old 10-12-22, 03:17 PM
Seattle Forrest

​​​​​​Mine says my heat acclimation is going up, but, to be fair, I'm getting a sunburn right now in my shorts and I need to water the garden.

The way the heat acclimation feature works, it needs to have recent weather data from Garmin's weather service. Even if you have a Tempe, your watch or Edge won't trust it for this. (Maybe yours is in the sun under a magnifying glass.)

This has been problematic for iPhone users because modern iOS versions restrict 3rd party apps' background activity by default. A lot of people have reported having to give Garmin Connect Mobile persimmons permission to run in the background, use mobile data, or something. I'm an Android user and we've reached the limits of my knowledge.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 10-12-22, 03:28 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4246 Post(s)
Liked 1,351 Times in 937 Posts
I notice this gets reset if you reset the device. well maybe if you accept on the webpage I just did that for the first time.
I ride a lot usually 3 times a day sometimes 5 or 6 so it records a lot of separate rides.
There's a limit of 200 activities (recorded rides). You have to periodically delete them.
Old 10-12-22, 03:30 PM
fooferdoggie 

Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 10-12-22, 03:32 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by njkayaker
There's a limit of 200 activities (recorded rides). You have to periodically delete them.
ok I bet thats it How do you delete them? is it on the webpage or the unit? I don't see it there.
Old 10-12-22, 03:40 PM
njkayaker

I have noticed in the last few days it shows every ride as the longest ride and the most climbed even ones less then a mile. otherwise its working fine. but now I am worried it may die.
Showing "every ride as the longest ride" (etc) wouldn't be a symptom of the device "dying". (When computers are dying, you get crashes, not "coherent" behavior.)

ok I bet thats it How do you delete them? is it on the webpage or the unit? I don't see it there.
These are files on the unit (not on the website).

The easiest way to remove them is to connecting to a computer. The files are in \Garmin\Activities. (If you are using a Mac, deleted files get moved to the trash folder. This will solve the "too many activities" issue but not save any space.)

The harder way is delete them one-by-one on the unit (look in History).

If the device is set-up properly, the activities get uploaded to the website (there are three ways this can happen). So, you don't need the files on the device. The three ways are 1) Garmin Express running on the PC the device is connected to, 2) Using WiFi (if the device is on and connected to WiFi), 3) Garmin Connect Mobile on your phone (if that is running and connected/paired).

Note that there's a 100 limit to courses too. The devices behave oddly if either of these limits is exceeded. Courses are in \Garmin\Courses.

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-12-22 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-12-22, 03:48 PM
Seattle Forrest

I've never deleted activities from any Garmin. Ever. I've done more than 200 activities this year. No downside to this. Where did you get the idea you have to manually delete the old ones?
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 10-12-22, 03:52 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
​​​​​​Mine says my heat acclimation is going up, but, to be fair, I'm getting a sunburn right now in my shorts and I need to water the garden.

The way the heat acclimation feature works, it needs to have recent weather data from Garmin's weather service. Even if you have a Tempe, your watch or Edge won't trust it for this. (Maybe yours is in the sun under a magnifying glass.)

This has been problematic for iPhone users because modern iOS versions restrict 3rd party apps' background activity by default. A lot of people have reported having to give Garmin Connect Mobile persimmons permission to run in the background, use mobile data, or something. I'm an Android user and we've reached the limits of my knowledge.
Yeah, that is exactly what is going on. Unless I open my Garmin Connect app on my iPhone SE (v 1) and sync to it, the weather doesn't update, and I don't usually bother, since the weather is based on what is happening at the other end of the zip code, which is sometimes different by 30°F.
Old 10-12-22, 04:05 PM
BikeLite

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
My Garmin told me I need more fiber in my diet.
Old 10-12-22, 04:11 PM
fooferdoggie 

[QUOTE=njkayaker;22676832]Showing "every ride as the longest ride" (etc) wouldn't be a symptom of the device "dying". (When computers are dying, you get crashes, not "coherent" behavior.)

These are files on the unit (not on the website).

The easiest way to remove them is to connecting to a computer. The files are in \Garmin\Activities. (If you are using a Mac, deleted files get moved to the trash folder. This will solve the "too many activities" issue but not save any space.)

it syncs several times a day through my phone. but I just cleared them out lets see if that helps.
Old 10-12-22, 04:13 PM
njkayaker

I've never deleted activities from any Garmin. Ever. I've done more than 200 activities this year. No downside to this. Where did you get the idea you have to manually delete the old ones?
From discussions in the Garmin forums.

aweatherall over 2 years ago
200 is the limit. It then start deleting older ones to allow newer ones to be created.
(aweatherall doesn't work for Garmin but has some sort of relationship with them. He's very knowledgeable.)

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fit...ge-830-devices

Garmin specifies a limit of "200 hours" (but it doesn't seem to be hours). So, there's some sort of limit. If I recall correctly, the 800 had the same limits.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/567991#specs

How many activities are listed on your device?

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-12-22 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-12-22, 04:25 PM
njkayaker

it syncs several times a day through my phone. but I just cleared them out lets see if that helps.
Having fewer files to wade through might make this sync process faster.
Old 10-12-22, 05:21 PM
Seattle Forrest

From discussions in the Garmin forums.

(aweatherall doesn't work for Garmin but has some sort of relationship with them. He's very knowledgeable.)

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fit...ge-830-devices

Garmin specifies a limit of "200 hours" (but it doesn't seem to be hours). So, there's some sort of limit. If I recall correctly, the 800 had the same limits.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/567991#specs

How many activities are listed on your device?
Everything that stores data has a limit. Infinity doesn't exist in the physical world. Nobody is questioning that. You said you have to delete activities manually, that's what we're talking about. I've never done this and everything works even beyond 200 activities, which makes it seem like you don't have to delete things manually.
Old 10-12-22, 05:22 PM
Seattle Forrest

For what it's worth, since you asked I just checked and my Garmin says it has 236 activities in its history.
Old 10-12-22, 05:31 PM
njkayaker

Everything that stores data has a limit. Infinity doesn't exist in the physical world. Nobody is questioning that.
No one is talking about "infinity".

You said you have to delete activities manually, that's what we're talking about. I've never done this and everything works even beyond 200 activities, which makes it seem like you don't have to delete things manually.
There is a limit to courses. It's possible that the limit for activities is fuzzier.

200 is the limit. It then start deleting older ones to allow newer ones to be created.
aweatherall says older ones are deleted.

For what it's worth, since you asked I just checked and my Garmin says it has 236 activities in its history.
Interesting.

There isn't a strong reason to have so many activities on the device. Seems easy enough to see if deleting them fixes the problem.

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-12-22 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-12-22, 05:34 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Once it reaches the (small, finite) limit (aka capacity), it (the Garmin's firmware) auto-deletes the oldest files first. You shouldn't have to delete anything manually.

(However, it might be worth deleting stuff manually, just in case there is a corrupted file or something that is causing the issue.)
Old 10-12-22, 05:37 PM
njkayaker

Once it reaches the (small, finite) limit (aka capacity), it (the Garmin's firmware) auto-deletes the oldest files first. You shouldn't have to delete anything manually.
So, there is a limit. When does it do that?

aweatherall says that the device deletes old ones.

There isn't a strong reason to have so many activities on the device. Seems easy enough to see if deleting them fixes the problem.

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-12-22 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-12-22, 05:38 PM
fooferdoggie 

(However, it might be worth deleting stuff manually, just in case there is a corrupted file or something that is causing the issue.)
well clearing them out seems to have fixed it.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 10-12-22, 05:46 PM
Seattle Forrest

aweatherall says older ones are deleted.
​​​​​​Then why are you telling people they have to do this manually???? And using icons to show your lack of understanding?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.