Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

3-speed Sturmey adjustment question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-22, 03:36 PM
onesmalldrop

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I understand how to adjust the 3-speed Sturmey shifter on a Brompton that I'm currently working on, but something seems odd: is it normal for the cable to be completely slack (no tautness whatsoever) when in third gear? If I add enough tension for the cable to be even slightly taught in third, then when I shift to second, the indicator pin is out almost a full half centimeter past the axle, rather than the specified 1mm. The shifting does seem to work fine with the totally slack cable in third, but it seems unusual. Anything to worry about? (I'm wondering if it could be an issue with the shifter itself letting out way more tension than it should in that shift from 2 to 3...)
Old 10-10-22, 03:59 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by onesmalldrop
I understand how to adjust the 3-speed Sturmey shifter on a Brompton that I'm currently working on, but something seems odd: is it normal for the cable to be completely slack (no tautness whatsoever) when in third gear? If I add enough tension for the cable to be even slightly taught in third, then when I shift to second, the indicator pin is out almost a full half centimeter past the axle, rather than the specified 1mm. The shifting does seem to work fine with the totally slack cable in third, but it seems unusual. Anything to worry about? (I'm wondering if it could be an issue with the shifter itself letting out way more tension than it should in that shift from 2 to 3...)
totally slack in third is fine as long as you are almost completely taut in first with just the tiniest bit of pull left on the indicator chain.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 10-10-22, 04:01 PM
onesmalldrop

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right on, thank you!
Old 10-10-22, 05:40 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
The indicator spindle is aptly named because that's what's used to indicate correct cable LENGTH (commonly and incorrectly called tension)

Everything else is irrelevant.

Last edited by FBinNY; 10-10-22 at 05:46 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 10-10-22, 06:22 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Originally Posted by FBinNY
The indicator spindle is aptly named because that's what's used to indicate correct cable LENGTH (commonly and incorrectly called tension)

Everything else is irrelevant.
When the correct indicator for the specific axle length is present this is true but Parts get mixed and matched over the years and sometimes the incorrect indicator is made to work but the marks become meaningless.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 10-10-22, 06:51 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Granted, I'm replying with the IGH expert above me, but "standing on the shoulders of giants," and all that. I've dealt with mix 'n' match indicators, and have found this page useful:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/sturmey-archer_tech.html

It discusses the method that has always worked for me.
Old 10-10-22, 07:54 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
When the correct indicator for the specific axle length is present this is true but Parts get mixed and matched over the years and sometimes the incorrect indicator is made to work but the marks become meaningless.
Agreed, also a problem after a poor rebuild that has the axle out of position.

However, the OP stated that it worked fine when adjusted per the indicator.

I might add that a slightly off adjustment can cause a hub to seem OK, yet running with partial engagement, increasing internal wear and tear.

FWIW - FULL cable slack in the "slack" condition is SOP system design. It makes for more generous tolerances in manufacture and operation. We see this thinking in just about everything from bicycles to aircraft.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-13-22, 09:38 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
I would unscrew it and start over. Make sure the indicator is screwed all the way in and backed off half a turn.
I really have no idea what to look at for positioning. It just doesn't matter with the 3 speed.
I adjust it like Dan said. I put it into third and tighten it till there is a bit of slack. Then it will be tight in 1st.
Old 10-13-22, 01:38 PM
dutchster

Bikes: Three Dutch bikes with Sturmey Archer three-speed hubs, one of them an 'omafiets' (granny bike) with drum brakes.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm on my third SA hub rebuild. My approach to 'adjustment' is what works for me. I've had the back wheel on and off many times during each rebuild. Here is what I do:

I adjust the cable length so there's a massive amount of slack in third gear. With the bike upside down, I turn the pedals and go through the gears. Very often, I get second gear going up but it gets missed going down. I twiddle the adjuster to take out some slack. I twiddle on (shortening the effective cable length) until second is achieved in both up and down changes. Today, I set it with just one twiddle, just like the last time and the time before that and ... it's rather intuitive. I finish by checking that the indicator spindle can be pulled out just a tad when in first. It always can, when I use my method.

Weird and wonderful!

PS:

When it's all working well, there is still a LOT of slack in third, just a bit less than when I started the adjustment. I don't think 'factory settings' apply after decades of use/misuse.

Last edited by dutchster; 10-13-22 at 01:45 PM. Reason: added a PS
Old 10-13-22, 05:01 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by dutchster
..... When it's all working well, there is still a LOT of slack in third, just a bit less than when I started the adjustment. I don't think 'factory settings' apply after decades of use/misuse.
Happy to hear you have it dialed in. But, for the record, and for anyone else who finds this thread ------

Time and wear aren't factors here. The factory settings are purely about position, namely sliding the clutch directly in line with what it engaged. That never changes unless a human changes the axle's position from original.

Possibly the single most common cause of AW hub failure is poor adjustment. With only partial angagment, the clutch slips under load, edges get chipped when it catches again.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 10-13-22, 05:43 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
While I learned the adjustment method of the indicator chain's shoulder WRT the axle end I also learned to find the "central point" of adjustment in 2nd gear. This method serves me well when working on repairs that have non standard parts. I set the lever in 2 and using the cable length adjuster I find the cable adjuster setting when the pedaling just begins to skip. The adjuster lock ring is positioned against the barrel, not tight but to indicate that barrel position later. Then i unwind the barrel and find the point of slipping into 3rd gear. The adjuster thread between the lock ring and the barrel is the range of cable that will get you 2nd gear. I set the cable length/adjuster barrel to the mid point of this range and double check the shifting and gear engagements.

I also watch the relative rotational pace of the cog WRT the hub shell (teeth WRT spokes) to judge which gear the hub is in. 1st gear will have the spoke rotating behind the cog teeth. 2nd and they will rotate at the same speed. 3rd has the spokes advancing faster then the cog teeth. Andy
Old 10-15-22, 01:03 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 335 Posts
I think of it this way.Third gear is the default, no-cable-tension, position. The internal spring automatically shifts the hub into third. To adjust the cable, tighten it until you can hit second and first solidly, without slipping out or overshooting.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 10-15-22, 01:48 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Originally Posted by oldbobcat
I think of it this way.Third gear is the default, no-cable-tension, position. The internal spring automatically shifts the hub into third. To adjust the cable, tighten it until you can hit second and first solidly, without slipping out or overshooting.
For the old star clutch type (pre NIG) I look at it the other way. When the clutch is fully retracted in first, it deactivates the ring gear pawls. The shift to second reactivates them to engage with the hub shell but the star clutch is still engaged with the ring gear. If the shift to second has the clutch advancing no further than necessary to allow the pawls to engage while still allowing the cable to go completely slack in third so the clutch is firmly settled on the planetary carrier the adjustment is correct.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 10-15-22, 01:57 PM
FBinNY 

It's interesting how every experienced SA "expert" has his (or her) own voodoo adjustment method.

Mine relies on the assumption that the clutch rides on a plain bearing, so ideally thrust is limited to no more than what the internal spring generates. So, I shift to low, tighten the cable until it's taut, then back off a hair. I want to end up with 0.5mm or so of lever travel beyond the 1st gear click position. From there, all the other positions will be OK, and the cable will be slack in 3rd.

It's similar to how auto clutches are adjusted so the cable is not supporting the clutch until the pedal is pressed.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-15-22, 02:31 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 335 Posts
For the old star clutch type (pre NIG) I look at it the other way.
Right. 1st is a reduction gear, second is direct drive using the pawls, and third increases the ratio. But it's the movement of star clutch that motivates the gear change, and that's determined by the pull of the cable.in opposition to the spring. The spring pushes the clutch into third and the cable pulls it back into second or first.
Old 10-15-22, 04:35 PM
Gresp15C

I think a good thing to remember is that the gear spacing on a SA hub is based on the internal dimensions of the mechanism, and the corresponding dimensions of the shifter. Whatever method you choose, it's either consistent with how the hub works, or it's wrong. The multiple "right" ways of doing it, all get you to pretty much the same place.

The small amount of play in 1st gear serves a purpose. If the cable is held completely taut, the relatively delicate threads of the indicator rod will eventually pull out of the axle key. Been there. This is also why you thread the indicator in, and then back it off by 1/2 a turn. If you find that it needs to be that tight in order to stay in 1st, then the hub is due for a rebuild. Been there.

I find, especially when servicing a tire while on a ride, that just checking for a tiny bit of play when pulling on the cable by hand is a quick way to know that the bike is ready to go.
Old 10-16-22, 08:04 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
The small amount of play in 1st gear serves a purpose. If the cable is held completely taut, the relatively delicate threads of the indicator rod will eventually pull out of the axle key. Been there.
And then you need to open the hub to replace the axle key.

Some SA hubs used a two-piece indicator rod, where instead of the indicator threading into the axle key, the axle key was trapped between the two pieces of the indicator rod. Less likely to strip, and if it does strip, can be fixed without opening the hub.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
two-piece-indicator.jpg (42.1 KB, 11 views)
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 10-19-22, 10:31 PM
Gresp15C

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
And then you need to open the hub to replace the axle key.

Some SA hubs used a two-piece indicator rod, where instead of the indicator threading into the axle key, the axle key was trapped between the two pieces of the indicator rod. Less likely to strip, and if it does strip, can be fixed without opening the hub.
Yup. But I was up and running with a new replacement part for a 40 year old hub, a week later.
Old 10-20-22, 10:57 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
An appeal to tinkerers and pack rats: please keep the original indicator with the hub.

Question for whoever back in the day separated the unique, extremely rare L-120AZ indicator from my SW MKII: what were you thinking?