Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New To Me Bike Day! Quick question about forks/handlebars/headset rattle on bimos

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New To Me Bike Day! Quick question about forks/handlebars/headset rattle on bimos

Old 10-16-22, 02:15 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadWearier
Yes. Good advice. It's a shame there are some douchoids on here because some of this advice is actually good.
You just can’t help yourself can you?

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Likes For Shadco:
Old 10-16-22, 02:55 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Thanks for the info. The diagrams I have seen measure from mid crank to seat post insert. Not top tube.

I realize that's a mountain bike, but I've seen similar diagrams for road bikes

According to your pdf, a 55cm would be for someone who is 6ft. That is pretty inconsistent with most of the info online
The diagrams which I deleted, are not applicable for measuring a road bike with a level top tube. The photo you sent looks to me as if what you have is a 55 cm frame which to me is pretty much spot on for someone your size. In your earlier thread you had been told that the bike was a 57 cm frame and I was fairly insistent that a frame that size would be too big for you. I stand by that. The photo of you sitting on the bike showed you with your hands on the bar tops which does indeed make it look as if the bike is too small. A better position would be with your hands on the brake hoods which is one of my most used positions while riding. Think about this: allow your hands to drop to your side and relax your arms. Your palms will naturally face toward your thighs. Now, bend your elbows to place your hands where they would be when you grasp the handlebars. Palms will still be facing the same direction, inwards. To grasp the tops of the bars you have to turn your wrists 90 degrees which position can become uncomfortable quite quickly. For me, the best hand positions are right at the curve where the bars bend forward, the mid point between the bend and the brake hoods, and the brake hoods themselves. The drops are useful if you are putting out maximum effort and want to be a aerodynamic as possible. All 4 of these positions maintain the palms inward orientation of your hands. I use my bar tops infrequently unless I want to sit up for a bit to stretch my back
Some info online is somewhat generic and not always applicable to all bikes. A 55 cm Lemond can easily be used by a taller rider than many other bikes of the same nominal size. I am happy the find out that the "57 cm" Lemond you found is not what you thought it was. You found a great deal on a wonderful bike

Last edited by alcjphil; 10-16-22 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-16-22, 03:11 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Gorgeous bike, in what looks like nearly pristine condition, at a great price. Envious.

The fitter will probably have no trouble setting it up to fit you right. Size looks fine. At most, it's unlikely to be more than a centimeter or so away from your perfect size, and plenty of us ride bikes at the upper or lower limit of that frame size range with no issues.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 10-16-22, 03:16 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,283 Times in 2,941 Posts
2004 Lemond. Outfitted with narrower handlebars and shorter headset or something. Seems to fit fine so far. Maybe if I post a pic you can advise on fit.
I've got to ask, what is the purpose of this thread? You clearly asked for opinions on the fit, but you keep getting pissed off when people suggest it isn't a good fit.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-16-22, 04:12 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I've got to ask, what is the purpose of this thread? You clearly asked for opinions on the fit, but you keep getting pissed off when people suggest it isn't a good fit.
I guess the purpose of the thread is continuing a glorious bf tradition.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-16-22, 04:12 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Some of these opinions are based on incomplete data. The OP in a previous thread talked about this bike as a size larger than what it actually is. Based on photos of the OP sitting on the bike with his(I think that this pronoun is correct)(Correct me if it isn't)(just having a bit of fun). In my opinion, The Op made a great choice and it was based on a lot of incorrect information from all sides. First, the frame size information in the ad wasn't accurate. The OP wasn't aware that measuring frame size for a level top tube road bike wasn't anything like measuring a frame size for a sloping top tube mountain bike. In my opinion, the OP ended up making a great choice despite all the conflicting "information/ opinions" they received
Old 10-16-22, 04:18 PM
RoadWearier

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadco
You just can’t help yourself can you?

Clearly, neither can you.
Old 10-16-22, 04:20 PM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by alcjphil
Some of these opinions are based on incomplete data. The OP in a previous thread talked about this bike as a size larger than what it actually is. Based on photos of the OP sitting on the bike with his(I think that this pronoun is correct)(Correct me if it isn't)(just having a bit of fun). In my opinion, The Op made a great choice and it was based on a lot of incorrect information from all sides. First, the frame size information in the ad wasn't accurate. The OP wasn't aware that measuring frame size for a level top tube road bike wasn't anything like measuring a frame size for a sloping top tube mountain bike. In my opinion, the OP ended up making a great choice despite all the conflicting "information/ opinions" they received
Yup. Rode great. Felt great. .had a good time with some very nice people.
Likes For RoadWearier:
Old 10-16-22, 04:30 PM
RoadWearier

Did you even read the thread. I got pissed off at the a-hole comments. I did not get pissed at people telling me it was small. Made that pretty clear. I didn't even ask about the size. Try reading before typing.
Old 10-16-22, 04:32 PM
RoadWearier

Well guys this has been great fun. Thanks for the positive comments. I've got stuff to do
Old 10-16-22, 05:03 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,283 Times in 2,941 Posts
Did you even read the thread. I got pissed off at the a-hole comments. I did not get pissed at people telling me it was small. Made that pretty clear. I didn't even ask about the size. Try reading before typing.
Ummmm ... you asked about the fit. You don't think the size of the bike has anything to do with bike fit?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-16-22, 05:22 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3653 Post(s)
Liked 5,391 Times in 2,736 Posts
Let's just be grateful he's found a nice bike and let him go away in peace. Over 50 "Is this a good bike" threads in the past year, I expect OP is as happy as the rest of us to be done. Adios amigo
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 10-16-22, 05:35 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Yeah .... sad, but if this guy gets po'd and never comes back ... oh, well. he came here looking for a fight and surprise! he found one.

Dude, maybe no one ever told you this but if you go to a public place and ask for opinions, you don't get only responses you want to hear. if you want to try to fight everyone in the world who says anything that makes you mildly unhappy .... I think that is a great idea. Start somewhere else, though. We will still be here by the time you get this far .... if you ever do.
Likes For Maelochs: