Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 10-17-22, 08:39 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,440 Times in 1,426 Posts
Saturday - Fiesta Island 4 lap TTT 1/2 island pulls - flat 4.2 miles per lap 45 minutes total. We ride this about 1:10 per lap off of race pace. My wife and I are both former runners and we were talking about this workout. It seems to be about as close to a running workout as one can get. The workout is power on for 45 minutes where every pedal stroke counts - no z1.

Sunday was a 2 hour endurance ride along the coast. There was an older rider with world stripes who was able to ride ahead of us. Usually no one passes us and stays ahead except for former elite recently turned masters riders like TMonk . This guy was really good.

I put a leg strength training workout at the end of the endurance ride after about a 2 hour rest. My legs felt okay lifting but not as good as with 24 hours of rest.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 10-17-22, 09:30 AM
procrit
carbon is too light

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Saturday - Fiesta Island 4 lap TTT 1/2 island pulls - flat 4.2 miles per lap 45 minutes total. We ride this about 1:10 per lap off of race pace. My wife and I are both former runners and we were talking about this workout. It seems to be about as close to a running workout as one can get. The workout is power on for 45 minutes where every pedal stroke counts - no z1.

Sunday was a 2 hour endurance ride along the coast. There was an older rider with world stripes who was able to ride ahead of us. Usually no one passes us and stays ahead except for former elite recently turned masters riders like TMonk . This guy was really good.

I put a leg strength training workout at the end of the endurance ride after about a 2 hour rest. My legs felt okay lifting but not as good as with 24 hours of rest.
Nobody can pass you when you're riding z2? How fast are you going? LOL
Old 10-17-22, 09:39 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Not putting in the general troll forum area, but people need to stay the freak to the right. Riding in Umstead this weekend and these old men riding together 4 dudes wide across the trail. They can't hear worth shat because I rang the bell 10x and called out like 3x, and no movement.

People need to ride to the dang right if you can't hear anything.
Old 10-17-22, 03:32 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by procrit
Nobody can pass you when you're riding z2? How fast are you going? LOL
I said “usually” no one passes us. In SD along the coast, there are hundreds of riders that stretch out along the road. Solo, small groups and large groups. And rider ability and technology used varies widely. Depending on wind and terrain, we cruise along 20-21 mph with some stretches 25 mph plus. Average speed gets reduced due to stops and lights and etc.

I call anything that is not structured an endurance ride and generally, I like to ride around VT1 for endurance. My wife loves to smash pedals and never saw a pace she did not want to accelerate. My power is all over the map. And the other thing is when I ride behind her I lower her CdA about 5%. And we measured that at aero testing at VSC. ERO was shocked at the amount of reduction. We all knew it would be lower but maybe 1-2%. When I get behind her, we are cruising along without a lot of power. And we have everything optimized - clothes, helmet, head position, tires, pressure and etc. A lot of the riders we encounter are all over the place on that stuff..

The riders we encounter generally have a lot of gas on the hills but not much on the flats and downhill and we keep power on all the time. So the operative word is usually no one passes us. This WC was very solid, optimized and just knocked out a smooth tempo 22 mph.

And we do not do the polarized training stuff per se. This week, I have a very hard interval workout and several sets of starts at the track and not much riding on the road plus strength.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 10-17-22, 04:35 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
First double day: 40 minutes swim and 45 minutes run, both at endurance pace. Swim was fine, but I was really running out of gas on the run and had to walk a few times. I am going to have figure out how to fuel better.
Likes For caloso:
Old 10-17-22, 04:36 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Not putting in the general troll forum area, but people need to stay the freak to the right. Riding in Umstead this weekend and these old men riding together 4 dudes wide across the trail. They can't hear worth shat because I rang the bell 10x and called out like 3x, and no movement.

People need to ride to the dang right if you can't hear anything.
We get that a lot on Fiesta Island. The road is one way and 25 mph. Cars are usually faster but not always. Cyclists generally stay to side and cars and other bikes can pass. Some riders ride 2 or more abreast and may slow car traffic and faster bike traffic caught behind cars. Fast group rides like to finish and then fan out across the road for a slow lap slowing car and other bike traffic. Why not? There workout is complete. They are the entitled ones right?

I do not think it is a hearing problem or old problem. It is I do not want to move problem or completely oblivious to courtesy to others. It is the exception but when it happens, very frustrating.

Last edited by Hermes; 10-17-22 at 06:55 PM.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 10-18-22, 11:59 AM
procrit
carbon is too light

Supposed to do a long ride today but issues at work kept me up all night and I was in no shape to get a workout in. Tomorrow, maybe!
Likes For procrit:
Old 10-18-22, 01:15 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Fiesta Island 3 sets of 8x(30”on, 1’off) TT bike. Solid.
Old 10-19-22, 09:44 AM
procrit
carbon is too light

Quick 90 min endurance ride. Got some better sleep last night and feel good today. I'm probably going to use this time to de-load for a bit and not build CTL until all of the work situation clears up...
Likes For procrit:
Old 10-19-22, 09:49 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,571 Posts
90 min this morning on the TT bike, 20' and 15' at Fiesta around ~250 w or ~3.8 w/kg. Not gonna lie, it was pretty rough lol, both from a muscle tension and a HR perspective. I've got a ways to go!
Likes For TMonk:
Old 10-20-22, 11:53 AM
procrit
carbon is too light

Quick 60 min spin in the country over lunch. Now back to work!
Likes For procrit:
Old 10-20-22, 02:33 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

90 min spin this AM, just gradually easing back in to volume. Gonna go for 12-14 hrs next week, rest the following, FTP test in mid November, then start rackin' it up!

I generally feel fairly fatigued from July onward, especially after being "on it" from November till then, with no real rest outside of the easy week every fourth week. Might try to plan a dual peak season with a few weeks of easy riding/de-loading in between, we'll see. We have some coaching resources for us in this years budget (that I helped organize), so I might try to get some 1-on-1 planning time. Main goals are Feb, (early) April, then mid/late summer.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 10-20-22, 06:21 PM
procrit
carbon is too light

Originally Posted by TMonk
90 min spin this AM, just gradually easing back in to volume. Gonna go for 12-14 hrs next week, rest the following, FTP test in mid November, then start rackin' it up!

I generally feel fairly fatigued from July onward, especially after being "on it" from November till then, with no real rest outside of the easy week every fourth week. Might try to plan a dual peak season with a few weeks of easy riding/de-loading in between, we'll see. We have some coaching resources for us in this years budget (that I helped organize), so I might try to get some 1-on-1 planning time. Main goals are Feb, (early) April, then mid/late summer.

How many hours a week will you eventually ramp up to? I'm so out of shape at the moment 8 hours is a solid week of training for me...
Old 10-20-22, 06:24 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by procrit
How many hours a week will you eventually ramp up to? I'm so out of shape at the moment 8 hours is a solid week of training for me...
I would say I average 12 or so from November through July. At least the past few years. There are always a couple weeks in Dec/Jan that push up on 20 hours, but not often. 18 is pretty common to see a couple times, and during those winter months my average is closer to 14 or 15. CTL usually tops out around 100 and I hang out in the 90 range for most of the season.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 10-21-22, 08:11 AM
procrit
carbon is too light

I went for a walk with morning which turned into adding in 250 walking lunges, and then finished it off with an actual JOG for one mile. Doesn't seem like much, but considering I was wearing a brace and could barely walk this spring when I injured my knee, I'm extremely happy. First run since April? It's been a long time coming.

Last edited by procrit; 10-21-22 at 08:16 AM.
Likes For procrit:
Old 10-21-22, 08:29 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

We are in the preparation phase of training or as a former coach called it strength and adaption. The first coach I used had me in the gym doing a pedal stroke specific circuit consisting of leg presses with isometric holds, leg extensions, knee curls and high chairs 10 sets of 10 at his cycling gym. Next I got on my bike and did lower cadence intervals for 30 minutes. This was twice per week. Subsequent years, he had me doing box jumping.

Today, my coach is all about not much riding, low gears and strength work - for road and track endurance riders. Yesterday was a track workout at SDV. Warmup, accelerations, 4 X 100 meter jumps and then 18, 1/4 lap starts with a 19th 1/2 start. Execution was 1/4 lap start, kill speed, roll around the track to the start line and do another - not much rest. 3 sets 6 reps per set rest between sets - strength training on the bicycle.

I was not so sure about this workout since it seemed like a lot of starts. It went okay and I feel great this AM. My legs were a little cooked a couple of hours after the finish.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 10-23-22, 06:09 PM
procrit
carbon is too light

Might be getting the cold that's been going around the neighborhood. Hopefully not, I have things to do...
Old 10-25-22, 04:14 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

3 hr z2 "dawn patrol" ride this morning, starting at 5:45 with lights. I always do this one or twice before the clock falls back, just to catch the sunrise on the road. Cold in the canyons. I did at least run into some local race-y cyclists that kept me company for a bit from 6:30 to 7 or so.

This week I'm aiming for 15 hrs. October is spent slowly riding more w/o structure, then I usually like to do a little pulse of TSS (followed by a rest week) before FTP testing and training more formally in November. Lots of 2-3 hours spins and a larger one (5+) on Saturday. Only two rides in, but the legs are still feeling fresh.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 10-27-22, 02:53 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

About 2hr this morning with a 2x20' on Fiesta Island in position. Was targeting pretty modest power at low/mid SST, and felt smooth and quick with my shoulders shrugged and head low. That netted me 10 minute laps (with pocketed "speed" suit and shallow depth wheels). Takes about 40-45 watts more to do that time on the road bike.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 10-28-22, 01:57 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Another couple this morning on Zwift, mostly cruising with the B paced bots. I hammered several times (against my better judgement) approaching hills, surging ahead of the pack and riding pace for a few minutes till I would get reabsorbed. I guess it's OK since I'm not planning on continuing training next week.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 10-28-22, 04:39 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Yesterday, SD Velo sprint workout - jumps and 4 sets of 2 flying 100 and 1 flying 200.

Today, Leg strength training - activation, back squat, dead lift, seated press and Bulgarian split squat.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 10-29-22, 09:26 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

^
I will be at SDVA at 6 AM tmrrw to volunteer for the fall swapmeet. If I can get a del on some aero road drop bars at 38 or 40 cm before the gates open I'll be stoked. Want to replace the stock 42 cm aerofly on my Venge.

My riding buddy bailed this morning, so Iim 90 min into a 5 hr trainer ride. Thought about bookending some around the SDBC A ride but I have no self control and woulld hammer my brains out, which I don't think would serve me well atm.
Old 10-31-22, 02:10 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Two days at Fiesta - one intervals the other TTT.
Old 10-31-22, 03:01 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Well, I've had to hang up my running shoes, spinal stenosis has made it unsustainable. So I'm back on the bike full time other than gym time.

I'm working on building back my endurance and started on intervals last week - 3x8' sweet spot last week and 4x7' today. We're using my pre-chemo FTP that I had while mostly running as a SWAG until my endurance is good enough to do a good 20-minute test, and it seems to be about right. My strength on the bike is slowly but steadily coming back. My goal event is a re-do of Latoja in September '23 - when I did it in '18 I was the strongest I've been on the bike, but I had a career-best bonk about 130 miles in. Ultrarunning has taught me a lot about nutrition, so I plan to make up the time I lost bonked with steady, non-stop effort this time. I don't know if I'll get as strong as I was the first time, but I shouldn't be far off.

I'm working on upper body in the gym using a combination of bodyweight exercises, free weights, and machines. My near-term goal is to be able to do an honest pull-up. It's turned out to be harder than I thought it would be. I expect I'll be using it for bike-specific stuff before too long as well.

Demain, on roule!
Likes For revchuck:
Old 10-31-22, 04:34 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Welcome back Chuck.
Likes For Hermes:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.