Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Doordash food delivery

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Doordash food delivery

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-22, 05:06 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by adlai
Bike i am running now has no rear rack mounts.
So not "weight, actually"? Like the other posters have noted, you can put a rear rack on just about every bike by using clamps and/or connecting it to the seat tube/post. If you don't want a rack (rear or front), don't deliver pizza.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-26-22, 06:21 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Irrelevant. The issue I was addressing is rack weight. If you have used a rack before, you should know what it weighs (very little in the scheme of things), regardless of whether your current bike has rack mounts.

P.S. I have been on to you for a while. Tie to add yet another to my iggy list.
Old 10-26-22, 06:31 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Why didn't you say so before?? (Instead of claiming the reason is "weight, actually.")
It was intentional. He didn't think anyone would discover that he claims to have used a rack before and thus should know that they are relatively light compared to the rest of the bike, body and load. (My CrMo, nickel-plated, front rack with a top platform is on the heavier side yet still under two pounds. Its companion rear rack is even lighter. The heaviest front rack I have ever heard of is the overbuilt Surly Nice rack that tips the scales at around 3 lbs.) Once his history was revealed, he had to change his story.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-26-22, 06:44 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
A rack doesn't have to be mounted on the rear....There are racks designed to be mounted on the front... or you can get a front Wald basket which mounts to the axle and handlebars.
Old 10-28-22, 08:57 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Real answers.

For actual delivery of actual pizzas you will have an insulated bag and you want a pretty big rack for it. The foot wide things that look cool with a bookbag aren't going to cut it. A large pizza is 16" and can go in a 18" box inside an insulated bag on a 20" rack
Front
https://waldsports.com/store/front-b...it-front-rack/
Front
https://www.dutchdogdesign.com/en/product/takeout
Rear but it uses the Topeak quick release so there's probably a front solution
https://www.pizzabags.com.au/tower-bags.php?product=33
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 10-28-22, 01:53 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Real answers.
Throw da bum outta heeyah!

Likes For pdlamb:
Old 10-28-22, 02:04 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Real answers.

For actual delivery of actual pizzas you will have an insulated bag and you want a pretty big rack for it. The foot wide things that look cool with a bookbag aren't going to cut it. A large pizza is 16" and can go in a 18" box inside an insulated bag on a 20" rack
Front
https://waldsports.com/store/front-b...it-front-rack/
Front
https://www.dutchdogdesign.com/en/product/takeout
Rear but it uses the Topeak quick release so there's probably a front solution
https://www.pizzabags.com.au/tower-bags.php?product=33
How about a backpack: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/22557...07449485%21rec
Old 10-28-22, 03:48 PM
indyfabz

I see ones like that all the time here in the big city.

Go Phillies!
Old 10-30-22, 05:24 PM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Because no one has ever put a rack on a “pedal bike?”

The Giant Wald Delivery Basket has entered the chat...
Likes For JehD:
Old 10-30-22, 08:00 PM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
Thanks for responses. I have thought alot about electric cargo gravel bikes recently. I think at some point I'll build a mid drive bike plus igh rear hub with cargo racks for the purpose of climbing hills and doing deliveries. One guy I talked to recently said that one snowy day he made $700 doing doordash.

I've had experience with a cyclocross bike with a rack and panniers, but that bike wouldn't be any good for my hilly area unless it were electrified. Probably the most serious option would be a cargo tricycle.
Old 10-31-22, 06:02 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Rather than assume sub-bridge residency I would attribute certain posts simply to unclear thinking.

Obviously if you cannot climb hills on your bike you cannot put a rack on your bike .... um ... what? Oh .... not enough wheels ......

O....kay .......
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-31-22, 06:42 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 363 Posts
Cargo tricycles are great, if you have large loads (as in more than you could realistically fit on a bike or trailer) and a flat clear distance to travel. There's a bike shop near here that uses one to collect and deliver bikes, but it's based on a cycle route and canal path so has miles of traffic free routes.

For a pizza or a few burgers it's overkill and comes with some pretty major downsides - the width will really restrict where you can take it and park it, it'll cost a lot more, it'll be heavy and it'll ride like crap.

I'm not sure what a cargo gravel bike is; all of the cargo bikes I've seen have been based on flat bar city bikes, because that matches the use case. There's certainly no benefit in having a drop bar cargo bike.

Just buy a hybrid/commuter bike and put a big rack on it then go start making some money. Don't spend too much on it because there's minimal return on investment and a huge risk of getting it stolen. Or look and see what everyone else is using.

Most of the doordash bikes here seem to be the crappy Chinese folding fat E-Bikes. They are pretty small, have an alright range and can be paid off in a matter of days so can almost be treated as disposable. If it makes it to the point that it needs a service or maintenance then it's a bonus.
Likes For Herzlos:
Old 10-31-22, 07:10 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Thanks for responses. I have thought alot about electric cargo gravel bikes recently. I think at some point I'll build a mid drive bike plus igh rear hub with cargo racks for the purpose of climbing hills and doing deliveries. One guy I talked to recently said that one snowy day he made $700 doing doordash.

I've had experience with a cyclocross bike with a rack and panniers, but that bike wouldn't be any good for my hilly area unless it were electrified. Probably the most serious option would be a cargo tricycle.

I can't follow your thought here. If you're able to negotiate these hills with a loaded backpack on your current bike, why wouldn't it be feasible with a rack?

And what the hell is an electric cargo gravel bike? You're over-thinking this.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-31-22, 08:19 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3664 Post(s)
Liked 5,411 Times in 2,749 Posts
The ebike section is getting some of the same love....
Old 10-31-22, 04:17 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,985 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
IAnd what the hell is an electric cargo gravel bike? You're over-thinking this.
I am not advocating on behalf of the OP at all but this would make a pretty sick electric cargo gravel bike with the GX package. Our shop owner at one point had one for touring and I have ridden the model a bunch and really want one but don't need it and already have a Supercharger2 which does what I need it to do:
https://www.r-m.de/en-us/bikes/load-60/

There is a forum member who did some customization to theirs and it looks really nice. I have on "paper" a build for one should I ever get the space and money and need for one and ability to spend an extra thousand or so to upgrade it with new suspension, wheels and such.
Old 10-31-22, 04:35 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I am not advocating on behalf of the OP at all but this would make a pretty sick electric cargo gravel bike with the GX package. Our shop owner at one point had one for touring and I have ridden the model a bunch and really want one but don't need it and already have a Supercharger2 which does what I need it to do:

There is a forum member who did some customization to theirs and it looks really nice. I have on "paper" a build for one should I ever get the space and money and need for one and ability to spend an extra thousand or so to upgrade it with new suspension, wheels and such.

I guess where I can't follow this is the notion of a cargo gravel bike. Does that just mean taking a gravel frame and rigging it to carry cargo? Not trying to be snarky here, just finding this a confusing label.
Old 10-31-22, 04:51 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
The ebike section is getting some of the same love....
Wow!
Old 10-31-22, 05:05 PM
Herzlos

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Isn't that a cargo mountain bike? For a gravel bike I'd assume no suspension and drop bars. But drop bars won't give you any aero benefit when your bike is based around a literal box.
Old 10-31-22, 05:12 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I used to take my child to the park in a trailer, it would fit a pizza easily.

I remember one of the last trips, we were at the swingsets and he was 3. I used to push him. He wanted to get off the swings and push it with me. I lost attention and the swing hit him in the head knocking him down. He was wailing, crying uncontrollable. Some of the big kids came over and said, "Look at the baby crying. My child snapped out of it and pointed his finger, advancing towards the bullies, Saying, "I'm not a baby, YOU'RE THE BABY"

Lots of old dads have trailers in the shed.

Cheap.

Consider one of those. They really handle well
Old 10-31-22, 08:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I guess where I can't follow this is the notion of a cargo gravel bike. Does that just mean taking a gravel frame and rigging it to carry cargo? Not trying to be snarky here, just finding this a confusing label.
Originally Posted by Herzlos
Isn't that a cargo mountain bike? For a gravel bike I'd assume no suspension and drop bars. But drop bars won't give you any aero benefit when your bike is based around a literal box.
Well in this case not a mountain bike and not necessarily a gravel specific bike as defined today by the council of gravel (whomever that may or may not be) but it is capable of going on gravel and carrying cargo. To answer Herzlos yes it is not a drop bar bike and making it one would be silly but there are flat bar gravel bikes and the suspension is just really nice and now you do have dual suspension gravel stuff. I wouldn't want to mountain bike with that, maybe it is semi capable but it is really more for comfort than actual mountain bike practicality but it is a cool bike and does work nicely on gravel but maybe not on super technical stuff for fear of scraping but I guess with a larger front fork it might help?

In terms of what the OP was at I don't know. I mean if I was thinking more capable of handling a lot of cargo but also off road capability I would think a touring bike situation with wider tires. Who knows what they actually meant.
Old 11-01-22, 10:33 AM
Herzlos

I don't think any or many gravel bikes have actual suspension, though some are building in compliance via rubber polymers.

If you took the cargo section out of that bike, it'd look like a (slightly odd) full suspension mountain bike. I guess the distinction to me is that a gravel bike is a drop bar rigid bike that's designed for rougher paths than a road bike.
Old 11-01-22, 11:00 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by Herzlos
I don't think any or many gravel bikes have actual suspension, though some are building in compliance via rubber polymers.

If you took the cargo section out of that bike, it'd look like a (slightly odd) full suspension mountain bike. I guess the distinction to me is that a gravel bike is a drop bar rigid bike that's designed for rougher paths than a road bike.
This is one that always comes to mind but I am sure there are others I know they exist I just can't remember the names:
https://www.ninerbikes.com/mcr-9-rdo/

Also a bunch of forks that are gravel oriented:
https://www.sram.com/en/rockshox/models/fs-rudy-ult-a1
https://www.ridefox.com/family.php?m=bike&family=32tc
https://mrpbike.com/products/baxter-new
https://www.laufcycling.com/product/lauf-grit-sl

They do make a full sus mountain bike as well but it is still a longer travel on their mountain touring bike. I don't know if their suspension kinematics are actually as good for really technical stuff but I am not a qualified judge of that as I am not really a great mountain biker and not nearly confident enough.
https://www.r-m.de/en-us/bikes/superdelite-mountain/

In terms of drops I guess that is the way the industry has framed it but I think just about any bike with some tire and maybe mud clearance that isn't a full on mountain bike could be a gravel bike or at least gravel bike adjacent. Though the drop bar stuff is certainly the most recognizable. However that whole genre is sort of muddied because it is just a random term, before that you had monster cross or mountain hybrid or trekking bike (in some cases). I think of gravel more as where you are riding rather than wholly what you are riding to a point but in the end if you are having fun that is the key : )
Old 11-01-22, 11:44 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by TomM
Here in Paris some delivery guys wear an insulated pack on their back if they don’t have a rack.
same in san francisco. it’s like a big squared off insulated backpack. not big enough for a large pizza to sit flat though, i always wondered if there was a way for the courier to specify what they were and weren’t able to carry…
Old 11-01-22, 12:07 PM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Huffy RedRock (first bike), Aostimotor S17 ebike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 260 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by JehD
The Giant Wald Delivery Basket has entered the chat...
Hey, my first job in US was delivering pizzas AND drinks on a bike like this. First customers definitely got their pizza cold and mangled, but I think I got better.