Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Old 10-27-22, 02:07 PM
pnwgopher

Bikes: Serotta Rapid Tour, 89 Paramount, AD Vent Noir, All-City Space Horse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Dylansbob
PM'd
ty! (slowly working my way up to 10 posts)
Old 10-29-22, 10:38 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 575 Posts
I had a pretty good week for wheelsets. Picked these up a couple days ago for $40. Deore LX hubs with a 7-8-9 freehub, SST spokes, plated brass spoke nipples and double wall eyeleted rims. Don't know what brand the rims are but they sure are yellow. I had a specific bike in mind when buying these. Tires are in decent shape, I don't have an immediate use for them but I'm sure something will come along. I plan to get them on today so I'll post the bike in the Before and After thread when it's done.

These actuallly were saved from the dump but not by me. I spotted these on FB the same day and told the seller they were SOLD!!! He agreed to hold them until we could meet this morning. $75 and a couple gallons of gas later they were home. Campognolo Record high flange hubs with Araya 14mm 27" rims and a 13-24 TSC 5 speed freewheel. I told him they were going on a 1973 Raleigh Competition and he said they came off an old Raleigh but he couldn't remember the year or model. He had bought it for the Brooks saddle and he was going to pitch the rest because the frame had an issue but decided to save the wheels at the last minute, that was 10 years ago. He decided he was tired of looking at them and put them on Marketplace Thursday. I saw them that evening and contacted him right away expecting them to be gone. They are dead true, hubs feel silky smooth and they will clean up nicely, they even still have the Campy QR skewers. The only downside is the galvanized spokes but they are all in good shape and being the originals I'll probably leave them. Cleaned up they will be perfect on my '73 Competition.

Last edited by Murray Missile; 10-29-22 at 02:10 PM.
Likes For Murray Missile:
Old 10-30-22, 09:22 AM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 653 Times in 254 Posts
Those yellow rims look an awful lot like Sun Rhyno Lites.... Sweet score!
Likes For Smokinapankake:
Old 10-30-22, 01:09 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 2,486 Times in 1,188 Posts
Bought a frame for a local member at the Trips for kids sale and got a nice discount on this Voodoo Bizango...
Likes For curbtender:
Old 11-04-22, 06:00 AM
Smokinapankake

Not C&V but it was most definitely headed for the dump:

The seized seat post had defeated all others, but I figured I'd give it a shot. You can read about the removal saga here.

2010 Kona Smoke.
Old 11-05-22, 02:05 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
It's not quite vintage but it is certainly an example of classic weird Gazelle bicycle history!

I picked up a 2012 Gazelle Friiik for €75. It uses a fully sealed 7-speed derailleur system and is one of the smoother riding Dutch commuter bikes. Killed off after only 2 years so I hope to have some fun digging into it and getting it back to working condition. let's hope I don't come to regret it.

Build thread here

Last edited by JaccoW; 11-05-22 at 02:09 PM.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 11-05-22, 03:42 PM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by Smokinapankake
Those yellow rims look an awful lot like Sun Rhyno Lites.... Sweet score!
My first thought was Mavic when I saw them in the ad but I haven't found any Mavics that match. The center flat on the rim is narrower than my other RhynoLites although the inner rim looks very similar. The rim's outer profile matches the Weinmann ZAC 19's I had just put on the bike I bought these for but the inner profile is quite different. Whatever they are I'm pretty happy with them. Here's the bike with them installed.

Old 11-06-22, 02:51 PM
attylah

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 109 Posts
$35 ‘83 Gran Turismo

Had my eyes on this one for a while, it started at $100, seller dropped to $50, then added make offer. So I did. Seems all original. Paint has wear but isn’t awful.

Likes For attylah:
Old 11-06-22, 04:51 PM
GullyFoylesbike
*____*

Bikes: 1984 Gitane Grantour, 197X Serotta Club Special, 1983 Trek 720

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
Picked up two basically new-old-stock RDs today - m953 rapid rise & 600 Tricolor. They're both just gorgeous, although I'm not at all sure what I'm going to do with the 600. I'll just have to set it on my desk or something for now until a project comes along for it.

Likes For GullyFoylesbike:
Old 11-07-22, 11:23 AM
Nubra 

Bikes: Miyata six-ten, Miyata Grand Touring, Univega Sport Tour, Univega Gran Turismo, 80's Trek MTB, 2008 Dahon Mariner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by attylah
Had my eyes on this one for a while, it started at $100, seller dropped to $50, then added make offer. So I did. Seems all original. Paint has wear but isn’t awful.
I LOVED this bike. It was the first time anyone explained why having a smaller chainring and larger freewheel cog made for a "granny gear". It was 1984 and I bought it with my very first Tax rebate, just over $400.Later I modified it and rode some more until I got into an unfavorable collision with a vehicle who did a right cross into a business drive way in 2008. I think I got my money's worth. Mine had Suntour VGT rear mech. The f/f hangs in my garage. Cheers

Last edited by Nubra; 11-07-22 at 11:25 AM. Reason: add info
Likes For Nubra:
Old 11-07-22, 12:22 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 419 Posts
Recent influx. The Trek came out of the scrap yard a couple of weeks ago and Diamond Back was there today. I picked up the Fuji Touring Series iii this morning and the seller pretty much made me take the Free Spirit. The Fuji is 60cm and at least the frame is up for grabs. It looks all original If some one really needs it compleat.

Likes For bark_eater:
Old 11-08-22, 10:18 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts

Here is a Marin, Columbus Theron tig welded tubing with carbon fiber threaded fork and wishbone seat stays.

I bought this for the black 105 parts harvest, though rides pretty darn nice.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 11-08-22, 02:10 PM
Smokinapankake

Originally Posted by GullyFoylesbike
Picked up two basically new-old-stock RDs today - m953 rapid rise & 600 Tricolor. They're both just gorgeous, although I'm not at all sure what I'm going to do with the 600. I'll just have to set it on my desk or something for now until a project comes along for it.

I love me some Rapid Rise! If you ever decide to move it along, please keep me in mind. Nice scores!
Old 11-08-22, 04:19 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Looks familiar....

Originally Posted by Mr. 66

Here is a Marin, Columbus Theron tig welded tubing with carbon fiber threaded fork and wishbone seat stays.

I came so close to buying that. I"m glad someone got it just because it's so weird.
Old 11-10-22, 08:47 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
Driving home tonight, I noticed a kid bike and grownup bike sitting out for the trash tomorrow right around the corner from my house. The big one came home with me. I don’t have much use for a cyclocross bike, but the co-op should get a good sale from the frame, wheels, and other bits. I think I’ll keep the 105 derailleurs and the Tiagra brifters, but nothing else. Still kind of exciting to see a decent bike sitting out in the dark in front of a trash heap, I have to admit.

Likes For noobinsf:
Old 11-11-22, 04:51 PM
Smokinapankake

It blows my mind what people throw away, thinking its trash. Especially so in todays world where 30 seconds with Google will tell you what you have..... Or maybe they just can't be bothered?
Old 11-12-22, 07:51 AM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by Smokinapankake
It blows my mind what people throw away, thinking its trash. Especially so in todays world where 30 seconds with Google will tell you what you have..... Or maybe they just can't be bothered?
We have become a disposable society and one of instant gratification. Use it up, throw it away and buy another nice new shiny one and sadly most consumer goods are manufactured to the same mentality. I was raised by parents and Grandparents who lived through the Great Depression and WW2. You fixed what was broken until it just couldn't be fixed anymore and then found another use for it. My first "bike" came from the town dump, Dad brought it home cleaned it up and painted it and I was THRILLED with it. I still have it but after going through several generations of kids it has reached the end as a means of youthful mobility and now decorates our front porch.

It truly was saved from the dump........
Old 11-12-22, 10:57 AM
Murray Missile 

My latest dump rescue, 1978 Peugeot UO9. It had been on local Marketplace the past week at $40 and didn't look too bad in the lone non-drive side picture but not $40 "not too bad" since it was WAY too small. Then Thursday the price dropped to FREE so I contacted the seller and lo and behold he had it stored at his shop 3 blocks from where I work. She's a total pig but there are a lot of parts that will find their way onto my other French bikes. I may use it to get my '77 PR10 frameset on the road until better parts are located unless of course it works well with the UO9 pieces. The original Simplex FD has been replaced with a zinc plated Shimano though, that was a slight bummer.

Old 11-12-22, 11:09 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 4,523 Times in 1,742 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
It looks pretty darn nice too.

Old 11-12-22, 11:46 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 4,523 Times in 1,742 Posts
Picked up this 1988-ish Peugeot Normandie today. Reynolds 531 butted main tubes and fork, according to the catalog. Only made for one or two years, I believe. Other Normandie versions had a Reynolds 501 main triangle and a chromed HLE fork.

Anyway, I'd never seen one before, so when this one showed up in my size I decided I wanted it. Peugeots have a reputation of being nice bikes to ride, this was their top randonneur at the time, and the older I get the more I am liking the randonneur format.

It's had a pretty hard life. The BB-mounted generator is missing, as is the shift lever which operates it from the back of the seat tube. Further equipements "spécial randonnée" consist of Weinmann cantilevers (MAFAC copies), a Shimano Deore crankset, derailleurs and shifters and Vetta front and rear racks.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 11-13-22, 03:26 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Fresh catch. clubman, take a look - finally got one.

Old 11-13-22, 03:35 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888

I’ve never seen one of those. Interesting bike , sort of a folder ? Are you going to clean it up and ride it? It actually doesn’t look too far gone but will need some elbow grease. The kickstand placement seems odd …….. heck the whole bike kind of looks odd, in a cool way. Keep us updated if you plan on cleaning it up!
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 11-13-22, 03:50 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I’ve never seen one of those. Interesting bike , sort of a folder ? Are you going to clean it up and ride it? It actually doesn’t look too far gone but will need some elbow grease. The kickstand placement seems odd …….. heck the whole bike kind of looks odd, in a cool way. Keep us updated if you plan on cleaning it up!
The Moultons have quite a history - more than I can summarize. The Wiki article doesn't do a bad job of it: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moulton_Bicycle

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 11-13-22, 04:27 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888

@cudak888 how did you find it? I hope you are going to do a separate build/restoration thread for that Moulton. I have been keeping an eye out for one in my budget, but have now given up. It seems that if people can look it up on Google they think it is worth big bucks. I went to an estate sale about 5 years ago where they had a one just like yours, but they had it priced a $1500 as is. Which wasn't particularly good.

Your Moulton looks intact and for the most part, just needing a good cleaning, regreasing and new cables.

Alex Moulton was clear thinking individual and his ideas on smaller wheels helped the Austin Mini become a success and then he applied this thinking to bicycles and allowed people who couldn't fit a full size bike in their apartment to own a bike and even take their Moulton by train to a more rural destination for a day's ride. They have also had their fair share of other uses including some human powered vehicle records. But most of all a practical bike for people that don't have a garage.
Old 11-13-22, 04:30 PM
attylah

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 109 Posts
‘86 Schwinn High Sierra

Picked this up this weekend. Too small for me but for $40 and this great condition I couldn’t pass it up. Maybe I’ll see if I can use it as trading fodder for one my size?

Likes For attylah:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.