Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trailer for 70lb dog mount to carbon frame thru axle?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Trailer for 70lb dog mount to carbon frame thru axle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-22, 12:10 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
What kind of bikes do you use to tow your trailers and how far do you go? If the axle was $10 I would just buy one for each bike. At $60 I kind of only want to buy one.
My kid trailer has a sort of triangular plastic piece that wedges into the area just forward of the left dropout (where the seat stay and chain stay come together). It would not work at all on a bike with a disc brake caliper mounted where yours is. I used it quite a bit behind a 1991 Trek 1100 road bike, and a 1992 Specialized StumpJumper. Lately, I've been pulling it with a Takara road bike frame--it's a late 70s or early 80s Japanese frame made from high tensile steel, and originally came with 2x6 drivetrain and drop bars. I've updated practically every component on it, and it now has a 3-speed internally geared hub, riser bar, and modern brakes. It tows my grandson around very nicely--stable and comfortable, although I would not attempt any really big hills with it.

When my oldest daughter was little (20+ years ago) I took her on some great adventures. She would load the trailer with some snacks, books, and a Fisher-Price battery powered cassette player, and we sometimes rode 50+ miles together. I sometimes rode with two kids, although this only works if they're both quite small. Once or twice, just to see if it could be done, I attached our Adams Trail-A-Bike behind my StumpJumper and the Burley trailer behind it, then pulled all three of my daughters. (We only rode eight or ten miles like this, on flat terrain.) Now I take my oldest daughter's son with me in the same trailer. It has proved to be the most reliable way to relax him and get him to take a nap.

The cargo trailer has a hitch very similar to yours. It is designed to work with a quick release skewer, but also does fine with some other types. I bought it to pull behind my All City Nature Boy. This is a single speed cyclocross or gravel bike, with mechanical disc brakes on special mounts. It has hubs that are not quick release, but not through-axle either. They have axle bolts, like a track bike. I will use this setup on a trip I've been planning that involves 300 miles of riding over five or six days, on a mix of pavement and dirt roads. The route is quite flat, which is a necessity for a single speed rig.

I have tried out the cargo trailer with my current road bike and found it works there too. It is a steel frame with rim brakes, a Cinelli Vigorelli Road. I might tow with this bike for some light touring someday.

Last edited by Broctoon; 10-03-22 at 12:14 PM.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 10-03-22, 02:15 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Since the axle is so expensive I only want to buy one of them. Should I buy it for Blur MTB bike or the Ibis gravel bike? I can't imaging ever going fast with a trailer even if it was empty and I was not worried about the safety of the dog.

What is your plan for these rides? Nice short, easily paced rides to the park with the significant other (if so are your fitness levels different)? Long, hard training rides?
Likes For himespau:
Old 10-03-22, 10:48 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
What is your plan for these rides? Nice short, easily paced rides to the park with the significant other (if so are your fitness levels different)? Long, hard training rides?

Fitness wise I put in some miles but my segment times very middle of the road going up 5+ mile hill at 10% grade. On strava I land 500 out of 1000 men riders etc.. The GF is just as strong on the hills but a tad slower on the flats. Power to weight vs outright watts etc...

I have never towed a trailer. I really have no idea what to expect. Currently ride 20 ish miles a day mon-fri, then sat and/or sun 40+ miles. If the Ibis gravel is just as strong as the Blur mtb bike I would imagine that would be more versatile to tow a trailer and dog. I have done 36 miles on flat road with MTB and I was spent afterwards trying to avg 15 mph.

If people tell me at best puppy/dogs really only good for an hour ride I might just put it on the MTB bike.

Then of course there's my imagination vs reality. Might be fun the first month or two then the trailer just collects dust.

I would feel a lot better if several people said they used the petsafe trailer with their carbon bike frame with the robertaxle extension.
Old 10-03-22, 10:50 PM
sean.hwy

@Broctoon

thanks that was helpful. Nice bikes!
Old 10-04-22, 12:35 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Based on your riding stats, I think you’ll have no trouble pulling your dog around. Obviously you are not afraid of hills, nor lots of bike time.

Riding with a trailer on flat ground just makes you take a little more time and effort to get up to speed, then it’s similar to riding against a moderate headwind. Going up moderate hills with a trailer is like going up steep ones without it. Going up steep hills with a trailer… I don’t know, never done it.

I think you and the dog will have fun!
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 10-09-22, 03:47 PM
sean.hwy

Both parts came late Saturday.

Customer service was amazing for both companies.
PetSafe

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BT131D2...t_details&th=1

robert axle project
https://robertaxleproject.com

I was able to contact both companies via chat and text a human. I requested an inner tube from Petsafe and for some reason they sent me a whole wheel/tire/inner tube. lol I will have to contact them on monday and see if they want me to return the third wheel.

Did a flat 17 miles for our first ride
https://www.strava.com/activities/7938429974

In the back of head I kept thinking about how the trailer flipped going around a turn ( from some of the shared stories you guys told me ) so I was very cautious.

My puppy is only about 16/17lbs today. Kudos to you guys that pull kids/large dogs at 80+lbs. I felt every minor 2 to 3% grade ha-ha
Likes For sean.hwy:
Old 10-09-22, 04:05 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 327 Posts
Puppa looks happy with the setup! 😀
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 10-09-22, 04:14 PM
sean.hwy

Originally Posted by tempocyclist
Puppa looks happy with the setup! 😀

Yeah, it was a lot of fun for three us for our first ride. Hopefully many more to come. It will be a lot more enjoyable for him once he gets all his shots and we can let him off leash when stop so he can explore. He's 11 weeks old now. Seems like I have to wait until he's 16 to 18 weeks old.
Likes For sean.hwy:
Old 11-03-22, 11:18 PM
sean.hwy

I have just a tad over 300 miles with the trailer. The trailer has already had two flats with the 20 x 1.75 tires :/

Does this stuff work?
https://www.amazon.com/BW-Bike-Tire-...A1W2OWN6UUWIF7

Or is there a better tire / inner tube combo I should get?
Old 11-08-22, 11:44 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Does this stuff work?
https://www.amazon.com/BW-Bike-Tire-...A1W2OWN6UUWIF7

Or is there a better tire / inner tube combo I should get?
Those liners might work well for you. I've considered but never tried them.

In our kids' bikes and trailer tires I've been using Slime. It is pretty effective for preventing flats from goat head thorns.

Glad to hear the trailer hitch is working for you, and the pup is enjoying bike rides.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 11-08-22, 12:10 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
robert axle project
https://robertaxleproject.com
This is money well-spent ^^^

In the back of head I kept thinking about how the trailer flipped going around a turn ( from some of the shared stories you guys told me ) so I was very cautious.a
In my case, it is a 10 year old Golden who doesn't learn new tricks easily and has alway been something of a clod. Training with rewards is key. If that puppy enjoys riding, it will probably be very easy to train. You can also get a harness for the dog to restrict movement if it does become an issue.

Very cute pup BTW.
Old 11-08-22, 12:12 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

If by some miracle the tubes have removable valve cores, just put some tire sealant inside.
Old 11-08-22, 03:31 PM
sean.hwy

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
This is money well-spent ^^^

In my case, it is a 10 year old Golden who doesn't learn new tricks easily and has alway been something of a clod. Training with rewards is key. If that puppy enjoys riding, it will probably be very easy to train. You can also get a harness for the dog to restrict movement if it does become an issue.

Very cute pup BTW.
The trail I bought was meant for a dog not a kid so it came with a short leash inside attached to the trailer.

He seems to like it enough that it's worth for him that I let him out somewhere off leash to run around :-) If he was just in the trailer for 1 to 2 hours then straight home I "think" he woud veto the trailer. ha-ha

short strava video him in the trailer
https://www.strava.com/activities/8029028069

for the most part he just hops in the trailer like this
https://www.strava.com/activities/8018808189
Old 11-08-22, 04:33 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
If by some miracle the tubes have removable valve cores, just put some tire sealant inside.
Inner tubes in these smaller sizes (trailer wheels) seem to only come with Schrader valves. I have never encountered a Schrader valve with a non-removable core. You just need the tool, and bottles of Slime come with a tool built into the plastic cap. Granted, some of the valve cores are harder to remove, and a steel tool works better, but even those are widely available at low cost.

Presta valves, like we see on most 700c tubes, are sometimes removable, but often not.
Old 11-08-22, 04:36 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Even though I briefly owned that trailer, I didn't remember the valve type.

Old 11-08-22, 05:11 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Get a thermometer for the trailer. It's going to get very hot very fast in the warm weather. Also never forget to leash the dog in. I have had two different dogs jump out of the basket on two different trikes (when stopped, I forgot to hook up one of them, and the other one jumped out before I knew she could do it.). In August most of the heat will be coming up from the pavement.