Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cleaning dried Stans/sealant out of tire

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-22, 03:19 PM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts

This tire is in great shape. It was mounted with 1.5 oz. of sealant, held the seal for 6-8 months, then got another 1.5 oz. of sealant. I had to pull the tire to replace a few spokes. The inside is so gummed up with dried Stans. I want to clean it up before remounting/sealing it. I'm not sweating the added weight. I'm thinking the tire's either not going to seal well or not seal at all because of how lumpy the bead is from the build up. I'm surprised Stans (someone) doesn't make a solvent for this. Should I worry about using general purpose solvents - muck off, gum out, etc.? I could see that turning into an unfortunate chemistry experiment rendering the new sealant less effective.

I'll admit, I'm weighing my time here - do I want to stand there picking at the bead for two hours or just throw away a good tire?

(damn, that's a huge pic. I still haven't figured out how to resize pics)
Old 12-11-22, 04:31 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
You want to be cautious with solvents because what may dissolve the Stans may also attack the rubber coating of the tire itself. Consider using a wooden spoon (not your wife"s favorite sauce spoon) to scrape out the worst of the dried stuff, then call it a day.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 12-11-22, 05:01 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,260 Times in 869 Posts
I've NEVER dealt with (or will) deal with sealants, but-
If you wear a leather glove, can you just squeeze the bead & rotate around the tire to "peel off" the sealant?
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 12-11-22, 05:11 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
I use a stiff floor scrubbing brush.
Either outside with a bucket of water.
or
if “you know who” ain’t home, in the bath tub.

what the eye don’t see…….

Barry
Old 12-11-22, 06:47 PM
soyabean

Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 264 Posts
I would submerge the entire folded tire in a jar of yellow Goo Gone.

It shouldn't swell vulcanized rubber like tyres. Surely you can test that with a used discarded folded tyre, because we hoard a ton of those.

I rarely find a need to use it on bikes, but a godsend to remove old duct/sheathing tape from anything plastic.

Old 12-11-22, 07:10 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 313 Posts
Have you tried just reinflating as-is to see if it seats and holds? Might not cure the OCD in you but maybe worth a try to see if you can save some time and effort.
Old 12-11-22, 07:15 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Some sealants are dissolved by alcohol (I believe the latex based ones). At the shop we just peal/rub off what we can around the bear area. Andy
Old 12-11-22, 09:18 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Latex-based sealants can be dissolved with household ammonia solution; it will not affect butyl rubber tubes.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 12-11-22, 09:38 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 325 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
I'll admit, I'm weighing my time here - do I want to stand there picking at the bead for two hours or just throw away a good tire?
I'd turn the tyre inside out, put it over a wheel to support it, and scrub it with a stiff brush and soapy water.
Old 12-12-22, 12:32 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I haven't done it yet, but just happened to do this search the other day. I make no claims to effectiveness of any of this, but it was where i was going to start:

remove dry sealant from bicycle tire - Search (bing.com)
Old 12-12-22, 04:59 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
There is no need to remove all of the sealant from the bead. The new sealant will fill in any gaps. I've been using tubeless tires with sealant for years and have never had a problem with leaking around the bead because of sealant stuck on there. I've never been a fan of Stans. Orange Seal original(not the endurance version) is the best sealant that I've found.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 12-12-22, 09:53 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,203 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
I would submerge the entire folded tire in a jar of yellow Goo Gone.

It shouldn't swell vulcanized rubber like tyres. Surely you can test that with a used discarded folded tyre, because we hoard a ton of those.

I rarely find a need to use it on bikes, but a godsend to remove old duct/sheathing tape from anything plastic.
On what do you base your assertion that Goo Gone won’t swell rubber? A rubber chemical resistance chart say that rubber performs poorly when exposed to naphtha…which is largely what makes up Goo Gone. Not a good idea.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 12-12-22 at 10:17 AM.
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 12-12-22, 10:16 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Some sealants are dissolved by alcohol (I believe the latex based ones). At the shop we just peal/rub off what we can around the bear area. Andy
Stan’s…which is latex based…uses propylene glycol. Most all of the ones I can find use propylene glycol. The latex isn’t “dissolved” in the propylene glycol but is suspended in it.

Propylene glycol is nonhazardous…we convert it to pyruvic acid if we drink it and we make pyruvic acid as part of the Kreb’s cycle during metabolization of sugars to energy…and doesn’t harm the rubber of tires.

I’m not convinced that it is a good substance to put in tires, however. A tire should be liquid proof so the question one should ask is how does the sealant “dry out”? Where does the liquid go? After observing a blistered tire…the tread was lifted at many points around the tire…and thinking about what happens to the liquid in the tire, I came to the conclusion that the glycol dissolves into the tire. It doesn’t travel through the tire like carbon dioxide can but stays there because propylene glycol have almost zero vapor pressure…it doesn’t evaporate.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-12-22, 10:35 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Stan’s…which is latex based…uses propylene glycol. Most all of the ones I can find use propylene glycol. The latex isn’t “dissolved” in the propylene glycol but is suspended in it.

Propylene glycol is nonhazardous…we convert it to pyruvic acid if we drink it and we make pyruvic acid as part of the Kreb’s cycle during metabolization of sugars to energy…and doesn’t harm the rubber of tires.

I’m not convinced that it is a good substance to put in tires, however. A tire should be liquid proof so the question one should ask is how does the sealant “dry out”? Where does the liquid go? After observing a blistered tire…the tread was lifted at many points around the tire…and thinking about what happens to the liquid in the tire, I came to the conclusion that the glycol dissolves into the tire. It doesn’t travel through the tire like carbon dioxide can but stays there because propylene glycol have almost zero vapor pressure…it doesn’t evaporate.
Thats all good to know, but the question remains - how do you clean the dried up snot off the bead?
Old 12-12-22, 11:02 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
A tire should be liquid proof so the question one should ask is how does the sealant “dry out”? Where does the liquid go? After observing a blistered tire…the tread was lifted at many points around the tire…and thinking about what happens to the liquid in the tire, I came to the conclusion that the glycol dissolves into the tire. It doesn’t travel through the tire like carbon dioxide can but stays there because propylene glycol have almost zero vapor pressure…it doesn’t evaporate.
I am also curious about this as I have just ordered a gravel bike, which comes with tubeless tires. The NIH says:

"It may exist in air in the vapor form, although propylene glycol must be heated or briskly shaken to produce a vapor."

Propylene Glycol | C3H8O2 - PubChem (nih.gov)

I imagine that the sealant sloshing around in the tire is akin to being "briskly shaken." So are you saying that propylene glycol does not evaporate within a small, enclosed environment like the interior of a mounted tubeless tire?
Old 12-12-22, 11:06 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Thats all good to know, but the question remains - how do you clean the dried up snot off the bead?
Physically…in other words, you have to pull it off. There’s not much that is going to touch the rubber of the sealant after it has polymerized. It’s a bit analogous to paint. Once dried, it’s not going come off easily. Anything that can dissolve it…and I can’t think of anything that can…is going to dissolve the tire as well.

Old 12-12-22, 11:21 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I am also curious about this as I have just ordered a gravel bike, which comes with tubeless tires. The NIH says:

"It may exist in air in the vapor form, although propylene glycol must be heated or briskly shaken to produce a vapor."

Propylene Glycol | C3H8O2 - PubChem (nih.gov)

I imagine that the sealant sloshing around in the tire is akin to being "briskly shaken." So are you saying that propylene glycol does not evaporate within a small, enclosed environment like the interior of a mounted tubeless tire?
“Briskly shaken” is doing a lot of heavy lifting there. If you heat it, you can get some of it into a vapor form but just shaking it isn’t going to volatilize much of the material. And by “heating it”, they mean at or way above the boiling point of water. It really doesn’t evaporate well. In a closed system like a tire, it shouldn’t evaporate at all. A tire should act like the bottle it comes in. In other words, the liquid shouldn’t go anywhere and certainly shouldn’t evaporate. I’ve heard all kinds of explanations for were the liquid goes like “the tire burps” or “the glycol is lost through the valve stem”. Neither of those are good explanations that stand up to scrutiny. If the liquid is lost due to tire burps, why doesn’t the tire go flat all the time? If the glycol is lost through the valve stem, the lose of the liquid would be variable and easily fixed by not letting the liquid leak out.

The propylene glycol goes through the tire and, due to that, a fair amount of the liquid is trapped in the rubber matrix because it doesn’t evaporate easily. It washes off fairly easily but that does nothing for the liquid that is still trapped in the tire.

Old 12-12-22, 01:34 PM
yannisg

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Stan's is a great sealant, but has two disadvantages it corroded my DuraAce and Ultegra road rims, and the residue is very difficult to remove from the tire and rim.
I've tried various approaches, and the best was turning the tire inside out and scrubbing it with a hard plastic brush under hot water.
I never left my tires to accumulate so much residue before I cleaned them.
I've now switched to Effetto Maripose for the above 2 reasons
Old 12-12-22, 03:17 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Physically…in other words, you have to pull it off. There’s not much that is going to touch the rubber of the sealant after it has polymerized. It’s a bit analogous to paint. Once dried, it’s not going come off easily. Anything that can dissolve it…and I can’t think of anything that can…is going to dissolve the tire as well.
I see. The bad news is that the sealant sticks really well to the rubber. It takes a whole lot of rubbing to get it off the beads in tiny flecks.
Old 12-12-22, 10:15 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

In a closed system like a tire, it shouldn’t evaporate at all. A tire should act like the bottle it comes in. In other words, the liquid shouldn’t go anywhere and certainly shouldn’t evaporate.
Heh heh, I hoard clincher tires but I have not bought one that comes in a bottle yet. But I have already ordered three tubeless tires as future replacements for the ones that will come with my gravel bike; maybe Excel will throw in a bottle too?

The propylene glycol goes through the tire and, due to that, a fair amount of the liquid is trapped in the rubber matrix because it doesn’t evaporate easily. It washes off fairly easily but that does nothing for the liquid that is still trapped in the tire.
But seriously, does this phenomenon weaken the tire?
Old 12-12-22, 10:49 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6936 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Pull off any big chunks, remount, add a bit of fresh sealant, ride.

It’s really not any more complicated than that.
Old 12-12-22, 10:52 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Thanks for your very understandable technical stuff in this thread. I studied the Krebs Cycle at one point, but have no real understanding of it anymore.

This has been interesting, probably functionally not meaningful to most of us, but interesting nonetheless. I'm on my very first couple of sets of tubeless tires which I mounted mid summer last year. I was planning on just adding some sealant to all four tires because that seems to be a fairly common way to replenish it, at least for a season or two before thinking about cleaning it. I might dismount one set just to see what it looks like.

Here's my question though: Do you think that theoretically, or actually, the tire itself would increase in weight by a few grams? It would take a before and after weight of an unused (but mounted and sealed) tire to figure that out, but it would be interesting to hear what sort of volume/weight of liquid might be trapped in the rubber.
Old 12-13-22, 09:35 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Heh heh, I hoard clincher tires but I have not bought one that comes in a bottle yet. But I have already ordered three tubeless tires as future replacements for the ones that will come with my gravel bike; maybe Excel will throw in a bottle too?
Yuk! Yuk! Yuk! The tire should act like the bottle that the sealant came in.

But seriously, does this phenomenon weaken the tire?
Not so much anymore as they have changed rubber formulations and construction but it was a fairly common problem in the early days of DIY tubeless. The sealant would cause the tread to delaminate and form “bubbles” under the tread

Old 12-13-22, 10:02 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Camilo
Here's my question though: Do you think that theoretically, or actually, the tire itself would increase in weight by a few grams? It would take a before and after weight of an unused (but mounted and sealed) tire to figure that out, but it would be interesting to hear what sort of volume/weight of liquid might be trapped in the rubber.
The thing to remember is that nothing ever just “goes away”. Substances can change form or react to form new compounds but nothing is lost. The founding principle of chemistry is the conservation of mass. Some substances will convert from liquid (or solid) into gas but the mass of the substance will always be the same. The volume changes but the mass doesn’t.

Sealant doesn’t simply “dry out”. It has to go somewhere and the mass of the sealant goes where ever the sealant goes to. Propylene glycol has a vapor pressure of 11 Pa (pascals) at 20°C (70°F or room temp). For comparison, water has a a vapor pressure at room temperature of about 3200 Pa. That may not mean much but water is about 290 times more likely to evaporate than propylene glycol is…and water isn’t all that easy to evaporate. Propylene glycol basically doesn’t evaporate. Once in the tire, it doesn’t really go anywhere. It doesn’t evaporate and about the only place it can be is in the tire. If you are adding 115 g (about the weight of 4 oz) of sealant to your tire and it is “going away”, most of that 115 g is going to be in the tire. If you add another 115g and it “goes away”, that 230 g or about 1/2 pound. And so on. Each time you are adding sealant and each time it “goes away”, the weight goes into the tire. There is likely a limit as to how much propylene glycol will dissolve into the rubber but I have no idea how much or even if there is a limit, for that matter.

I haven’t weighed tires because I don’t do tubeless. One of the reasons I don’t do tubeless is because of the above. Another has to do with the number of bikes I own and the frequency that I ride some of them. It’s not worth doing tubeless just to have the sealant dissolve into the tire as the bike sits unused. I have two bikes that I could probably justify going tubeless will but I just don’t find it something I want to deal with.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 12-13-22, 10:32 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Not so much anymore as they have changed rubber formulations and construction but it was a fairly common problem in the early days of DIY tubeless. The sealant would cause the tread to delaminate and form “bubbles” under the tread
Good to know; riding tubeless gravel and tire problem means quite a walk.

The thing to remember is that nothing ever just “goes away”. Substances can change form or react to form new compounds but nothing is lost. The founding principle of chemistry is the conservation of mass. Some substances will convert from liquid (or solid) into gas but the mass of the substance will always be the same. The volume changes but the mass doesn’t.

Sealant doesn’t simply “dry out”. It has to go somewhere and the mass of the sealant goes where ever the sealant goes to. Propylene glycol has a vapor pressure of 11 Pa (pascals) at 20°C (70°F or room temp). For comparison, water has a a vapor pressure at room temperature of about 3200 Pa. That may not mean much but water is about 290 times more likely to evaporate than propylene glycol is…and water isn’t all that easy to evaporate. Propylene glycol basically doesn’t evaporate. Once in the tire, it doesn’t really go anywhere. It doesn’t evaporate and about the only place it can be is in the tire. If you are adding 115 g (about the weight of 4 oz) of sealant to your tire and it is “going away”, most of that 115 g is going to be in the tire. If you add another 115g and it “goes away”, that 230 g or about 1/2 pound. And so on. Each time you are adding sealant and each time it “goes away”, the weight goes into the tire. There is likely a limit as to how much propylene glycol will dissolve into the rubber but I have no idea how much or even if there is a limit, for that matter.
I understand that conservation of mass. This means that after two cycles of adding sealant the tire would have increased by the weight of a tube. That is quite a bit of mass to spin up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.