Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.4

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.4

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-22, 06:38 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Well not YouTube!

Football, Xbox, and lots of movies and TV shows from not-YooToob. Like if I listed the streamers...

NFL+
Discovery+
Netflix
Hulu
Peacock
Disney+
AppleTV+
Prime

I THINK that's all of them.

Still sometimes can't think of what to put on.
No BritBox? My wife is addicted to British detective shows.

Old 12-14-22, 06:46 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
27 American this morning. Sigh. It’s been a rough 3.5 weeks or what ever. I’m finally feeling some what better. Wife is finally on medicine, but she still sounds sick. Daughter has been sick since Halloween. She has not been to School since mid November. She could prolly go back this week, but we decided it’s not even worth the risk at this point. All the kids in the neighborhood keep getting sick, my parents are now sick.

My daughter has developed a really bad attitude towards Mrs. Bam, and I’m trying to figure out why. First off, I wasn’t expecting to have to deal with this for another 6 years atleast, and secondly it came out of no where. I was only gone for 3 days. I think she’s upset that she can’t go to school, even though she feels better, but she is acting like a rebellious teenager which is just weird coming from a 4 year old.

In other news wheels are not happening. I’m not sure how it happened, but we had about every extra expense imaginable hit us this week. I don’t know how the system got rigged this way, was not like this last year. AAA, HOA, property tax, life insurance, car inspection which leads to a new wind shield, and all of my wife’s medical bills for the whole year all came this past week. Merry Christmas.

So wife canceled Christmas for the adults. Which is fine, except I already got her gifts months ago. So basically wife is canceling me buying wheels for myself. I really hope LBS will take 120 for these Mavics.
Wow. tough times. I feel for you. Between the weather, doctor appointments, illness, etc, it hasn’t been the best month for us, either, but your month takes the award.

Hope things get better.

Old 12-14-22, 06:57 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
27 American this morning. Sigh. It’s been a rough 3.5 weeks or what ever. I’m finally feeling some what better. Wife is finally on medicine, but she still sounds sick. Daughter has been sick since Halloween. She has not been to School since mid November. She could prolly go back this week, but we decided it’s not even worth the risk at this point. All the kids in the neighborhood keep getting sick, my parents are now sick.

My daughter has developed a really bad attitude towards Mrs. Bam, and I’m trying to figure out why. First off, I wasn’t expecting to have to deal with this for another 6 years atleast, and secondly it came out of no where. I was only gone for 3 days. I think she’s upset that she can’t go to school, even though she feels better, but she is acting like a rebellious teenager which is just weird coming from a 4 year old.

In other news wheels are not happening. I’m not sure how it happened, but we had about every extra expense imaginable hit us this week. I don’t know how the system got rigged this way, was not like this last year. AAA, HOA, property tax, life insurance, car inspection which leads to a new wind shield, and all of my wife’s medical bills for the whole year all came this past week. Merry Christmas.

So wife canceled Christmas for the adults. Which is fine, except I already got her gifts months ago. So basically wife is canceling me buying wheels for myself. I really hope LBS will take 120 for these Mavics.
Wow. Hope it all gets better soon, especially the health issues. Tough time of year, financially, emotionally, etc. and people tend to forget that.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 12-14-22, 07:06 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Well not YouTube!

Football, Xbox, and lots of movies and TV shows from not-YooToob. Like if I listed the streamers...

NFL+
Discovery+
Netflix
Hulu
Peacock
Disney+
AppleTV+
Prime

I THINK that's all of them.

Still sometimes can't think of what to put on.
Has anyone tried Criterion? I definitely need something with higher quality entertainment than Netflix and Amazon for the indoor endurance season. Gunplay and infantile yuks don't get me through a workout.
Old 12-14-22, 07:16 AM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
Ah yeah, I put that together after reading further.

The. classic tube-only GP5Ks were fine for me, but harder than most other tires, even with good technique. My later-preferred tire, the Michelin Power Protection Plus, was far easier. Same hands and technique, of course. The TL version was dman near impossible, though it sounds like you're not using those.
I’m going back to Michelins. The GP4K S2 was not this much of a bear to put on. I’m throwing in the towel and taking the wheel to the shop. It’s not even a priority - my bike is on a direct drive trainer, so the wheel isn’t even in use. This was a byproduct of boredom last night.
Old 12-14-22, 07:28 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by thin_concrete
No - never have. I have enough for a couple seasons of skeet/clays/5-stand now. No need to buy more, but I’ll look into it.
Bought a few cases of Rio when stuff was hard to find. Ended up really liking it. Shoots clean.
Old 12-14-22, 07:35 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts

Bah, humbug.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 12-14-22, 07:51 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13711 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 2,504 Posts

That sucks.
Old 12-14-22, 07:58 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,183 Times in 2,225 Posts

I’ve never had the water in my bottle freeze before during a ride.
Old 12-14-22, 08:34 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,683 Times in 4,078 Posts

Happened to me all the time in Flagstaff and Wyoming and a couple times in Vancouver/Portland.

Everyday winter riding in WY required a Camelbak reservoir, and on really cold days the hose would freeze up on me, so I'd have to keep the hose tucked in against my chest between sips.

I reckon it's gotta be tough for the daughter being cooped up at home for a couple months. I wonder how mom handled us kids at that age, we didn't go to school til we were 5 or 6.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 12-14-22 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-14-22, 08:36 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Has anyone tried Criterion? I definitely need something with higher quality entertainment than Netflix and Amazon for the indoor endurance season. Gunplay and infantile yuks don't get me through a workout.
I have not, but what exactly are you looking for? The above options all have more than that... Hulu has The Terror, Netflix has The Good Place, and I can find more this afternoon.

Funny thing is that what I need for workouts is gunplay and preferably non-infantile yuks - can't focus and hammer while paying attention to detailed plots.
Old 12-14-22, 08:44 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts

You’ve been missing out
Old 12-14-22, 08:57 AM
MoAlpha
• —

I have not, but what exactly are you looking for? The above options all have more than that... Hulu has The Terror, Netflix has The Good Place, and I can find more this afternoon.

Funny thing is that what I need for workouts is gunplay and preferably non-infantile yuks - can't focus and hammer while paying attention to detailed plots.
For hard workouts, I need music, which is a whole 'nother problem. I am talking feature-length sessions of LT1 boredom and "taintalgia."

Tell me more of what you like on Netflix, which has the advantage of streaming well from the iPhone via an HDMI dongle. I haven't really enjoyed anything since "Shtisel."
Old 12-14-22, 09:04 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
My son's orthopedist was able to watch video provided by the weightlifting organization and see the legs collapse in real time and in slow motion. He surmises torn quadricep tendons outer side of the knees. One leg is worse than the other. MRI tomorrow to get the full picture. He prescribed pain killers and a muscle relaxer. You medical guys know more but I understand that the quads are traumatized, spasming and not working and that hopefully with the drugs he may be able to get some motion.

Anyway, MRI tomorrow to determine the next step.
Sorry to hear about it. Hope It goes as well as possible.
Old 12-14-22, 09:07 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts

Oof, sorry man. If it's any consolation, those are all things showing the quality of life you're providing for your family. You're doing a great job, even if it sucks right now.

Also, re: your daughter, being sick itself can affect your mental state and reactions. Even just regular cold and flu. It might pass when she's better.
Old 12-14-22, 09:15 AM
Mojo31
-------

Lately, we've watched and enjoyed the following:

White Lotus
Branson's bio
Wednesday (if you like Burton movies)
Yosemite (Costner is actually ok in this one)
Goliath

Also, a lot of the Euro dramas
Old 12-14-22, 09:23 AM
Mojo31
-------

We went through some of that rebellion when my wife was pregnant with our son. Your daughter sees some competition for your wife's attention coming soon if it's not already there. It was so bad that when my in-laws brought our 2.5 year old daughter to the hospital to see her new brother, she refused to get out of her car seat and told them she would wait in the car.

As for the wheels, you can live without those for now. For as long as I've been working, every time I thought I was ahead of the curve monetarily, some big expense would rear its ugly head and put the kabash on my plans. You can count on that for the rest of your life.

Make sure the kids and wife are happy at Christmas and don't worry about yourself. It will pay off long term.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 12-14-22, 09:53 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,183 Times in 2,225 Posts
Oof, sorry man. If it's any consolation, those are all things showing the quality of life you're providing for your family. You're doing a great job, even if it sucks right now.

Also, re: your daughter, being sick itself can affect your mental state and reactions. Even just regular cold and flu. It might pass when she's better.

Being an adult sucks sometimes.

You and mojo are prolly right about the little one. This has been the longest she hasn’t seen here friends, and the wife is about to pop so really can’t do much with her. I know she is excited about her brother, but I am sure she is anxious as well. She seems to be in a better mood today, I am sure me being home helps.
Old 12-14-22, 10:04 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,896 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by thin_concrete
I’m going back to Michelins. The GP4K S2 was not this much of a bear to put on. I’m throwing in the towel and taking the wheel to the shop. It’s not even a priority - my bike is on a direct drive trainer, so the wheel isn’t even in use. This was a byproduct of boredom last night.
I haven't had any problem getting regular GP5Ks on any wheels, until I got those Fulcrum 600s. That one I really struggled with. Luckily, it's an old tire just for trainer use ATM, so I don't have to worry about being out on the road, unable to fix a flat.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 12-14-22, 10:06 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Crud. Here's hoping they'll take $120, and that all else works out. I have experienced The Year Without Christmas, and it's a whole lot of no fun.

Old 12-14-22, 10:12 AM
Mojo31
-------

Being an adult sucks sometimes.

It really doesn't. It's the only time in your life when you get to make any decision you want to make. And, from the sounds of it you've made some pretty good decisions.

You have a wife that loves you, a cute little girl who no doubt adores you as much as you do her, a son on the way, a well-paying job that doesn't break your back, a nice house, and you're not battling any serious health issues. Life is good!
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 12-14-22, 10:14 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Happened to me all the time in Flagstaff and Wyoming and a couple times in Vancouver/Portland.

Everyday winter riding in WY required a Camelbak reservoir, and on really cold days the hose would freeze up on me, so I'd have to keep the hose tucked in against my chest between sips.

I reckon it's gotta be tough for the daughter being cooped up at home for a couple months. I wonder how mom handled us kids at that age, we didn't go to school til we were 5 or 6.
"Go out and play."

To be fair, though, we always lived out in the sticks, and there was lots of kid stuff to do - trees to climb, fields to walk through, a creek with minnows, crayfish, and water striders, not to mention some shoals of the worlds best skipping stones.

Old 12-14-22, 10:15 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Mojo31
It really doesn't. It's the only time in your life when you get to make any decision you want to make. And, from the sounds of it you've made some pretty good decisions.

You have a wife that loves you, a cute little girl who no doubt adores you as much as you do her, a son on the way, a well-paying job that doesn't break your back, a nice house, and you're not battling any serious health issues. Life is good!
Well, any decision that's available to you. Sometimes all your choices suck.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-14-22, 10:18 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
For hard workouts, I need music, which is a whole 'nother problem. I am talking feature-length sessions of LT1 boredom and "taintalgia."

Tell me more of what you like on Netflix, which has the advantage of streaming well from the iPhone via an HDMI dongle. I haven't really enjoyed anything since "Shtisel."
I don't know how people can watch TV and ride. I can ride, or I can watch TV, but not both at the same time. If I try to do both, I have difficulty maintaining intensity. ANY intensity.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-14-22, 10:26 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by genejockey
Well, any decision that's available to you. Sometimes all your choices suck.
The choices may suck, but they are yours to make. If you don't like things the way they are, you can always choose to walk away from them. Putting aside morals and ethics, you can do anything you want to do if you don't mind the consequences. Can't do that as a child.

As for Christmas gifts, they don't really matter. My friend and neighbor across the street is burying his wife tomorrow after she fought breast cancer for the last eight years or so. I don't think he is hoping for a new shirt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.