Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Immersive waxing / it should be more popular

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Immersive waxing / it should be more popular

Old 12-19-22, 02:48 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
Oh, I understand it. There’s just been a lot of conjecture about how long it takes, which my experience doesn’t align with.

Its not right for everyone, I get that. IME the positives outweigh the negatives, but there are caveats of course. I did a gravel race last April where it rained all day, the wax was washed out by the end.
regarding wax and water, i read this earlier in the thread but forgot to ask about it...why is this a problem and why would the wax be washed off? living in reno i don't get much in the way of rain and would never volunteer to ride in it anyway.
Old 12-19-22, 02:55 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
i mentioned what i get in post 527 and 535.
No you didn't. You mentioned the intervals between lubes. You never mentioned how much life you get out of a chain.

Originally Posted by spelger
i do recall using that blue park chain cleaning tool. hated it. always made such a mess. first time i used it a real mess was on the floor then started putting cardboard down to catch the mess. still had to clean bits of the bike though. maybe i used it wrong but i don't think so.
The Park Tool chain cleaner is an absolute JOKE. All it does is give the bike and the floor a new speckled paint job, not to mention that pieces of the brush come off and stick inside your chain. It is also very unnecessary to do this to your chain.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-19-22, 03:29 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
For many people, time is a valuable commodity. Spending time to squeeze more miles out of a disposable component doesn't always make sense.
I am one of those time more valuable than money spent on bike parts people, hence why I rotate waxed chains to save time cleaning and lubing and make fewer trips to the shop or perform worn out part swaps the time saving message doesn't get across to many for some reason.

I keep reading about all the extra time spent for waxing, it's a silly misconception. The time I spend on the bike outside of riding has gone down significantly but such anecdotes by people who are actually doing it, not just me in here either, fall on deaf ears by those who only imagine things.

Last edited by yaw; 12-19-22 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-19-22, 03:45 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 3,107 Times in 1,642 Posts
im on the same block of paraffin that I bought on ebay a few years ago. I think it was like 8 bucks. I don't do any of the fancy MSW stuff either.

Gonna go out on a limb and say that for those who prefer a clean drivetrian, and live in a dry climate waxing can be the path of least resistance. It takes me about as much time as it takes to break and re-install the chain.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 12-19-22, 03:58 PM
spelger

Originally Posted by Lombard
No you didn't. You mentioned the intervals between lubes. You never mentioned how much life you get out of a chain.

The Park Tool chain cleaner is an absolute JOKE. All it does is give the bike and the floor a new speckled paint job, not to mention that pieces of the brush come off and stick inside your chain. It is also very unnecessary to do this to your chain.
ahh, your right. i misread your statement. i'll never know because i won't be measuring it either.

right, that was one reason why i chucked that tool, such crap, don't think i used it long enough for the bristles to weaken and come off.
Old 12-19-22, 04:00 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw
I am one of those time more valuable than money spent on bike parts people, hence why I rotate waxed chains to save time cleaning and lubing and make fewer trips to the shop or perform worn out part swaps the time saving message doesn't get across to many for some reason.

I keep reading about all the extra time spent for waxing, it's a silly misconception. The time I spend on the bike outside of riding has gone down significantly but such anecdotes by people who are actually doing it, not just me in here either, fall on deaf ears by those who only imagine things.
The reason you will never understand why waxing isn't more popular is because you can't seem to comprehend that other people place different values on their time, the cost of parts, drivetrain cleanliness, etc.

Last edited by tomato coupe; 12-19-22 at 04:10 PM.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-19-22, 04:42 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
The reason you will never understand why waxing isn't more popular is because you can't seem to comprehend that other people place different values on their time, the cost of parts, drivetrain cleanliness, etc.
The only differentiating factor seems to be the expectation regarding drivetrain cleanliness and low friction performance. If people do not sufficiently care about this then there is no point in waxing.
Old 12-19-22, 05:07 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Originally Posted by yaw

You are only comparing your hot waxing to your previous drip wax lubes which are pitiful. Nice strawman.

Originally Posted by yaw
The only differentiating factor seems to be the expectation regarding drivetrain cleanliness and low friction performance.
And how many average mph do you expect from your "low friction performance" advantage? Maybe 0.01 mph if that?

And I repeat, neither you nor anybody else here has any real world, real life experience on how many miles your chain lasts with this method. NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON HERE.

Silly.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-19-22, 05:54 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Oh I used dirty oil lubes initially, I think the carrier fumes made me oil grouchy so I looked to drip wax, and then finally made the switch to glory.

Now I am smooth and don't even shout on the internet.

I don't count the watts, I just like things to be clean and working nicely. A well tuned bike makes me whistle joyfully in the hills.

​​​​​​​And I'll sing out to you when I finally get one of those wax chains to wear out.
Old 12-19-22, 05:55 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by yaw
oh i used dirty oil lubes initially, i think the carrier fumes made me oil grouchy so i looked to drip wax, and then finally made the switch to glory.

Now i am smooth and don't even shout on the internet.

I don't count the watts, i just like things to be clean and working nicely. A well tuned bike makes me whistle joyfully in the hills.

And i'll sing out to you when i finally get one of those wax chains to wear out.
​​​​​​​<3
Old 12-19-22, 06:29 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by yaw
Oh I used dirty oil lubes initially, I think the carrier fumes made me oil grouchy so I looked to drip wax, and then finally made the switch to glory.

Now I am smooth and don't even shout on the internet.

I don't count the watts, I just like things to be clean and working nicely. A well tuned bike makes me whistle joyfully in the hills.

And I'll sing out to you when I finally get one of those wax chains to wear out.
What can I say. If hot wax makes you happy enough so you sing and don't shout on the internet, who am I to judge? It's probably worth it just for that.
Old 12-20-22, 07:21 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

I think it's kinda fun tbh. Feels like arts and crafts time. I don't do anything at all between waxes, so it's kinda nbd. I don't really track mileage between waxes, I just flip the pot switch "On" whenever the chain feels dryer than I like to the touch.
Old 12-20-22, 11:02 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,461 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw
You should have used Muc-Off C3 Ceramic Dry Lube. It may not work as well as wax (or even Rock N Roll Gold or Boeshield T-9) but it does smell good.

Originally Posted by yaw
I too think that the best thing about waxed chains is that they are not greasy to the touch. Maybe you are OCD like me?

Originally Posted by yaw
And I'll sing out to you when I finally get one of those wax chains to wear out.
My annual mileage is fairly low by BF standards and will soon be distributed between 3 bikes, so it will be quite a while before I wear something out with my meager power. The only time I broke a chain was coincidentally after letting it soak overnight in purple degreaser.
Old 12-20-22, 11:04 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by TMonk
I think it's kinda fun tbh. Feels like arts and crafts time. I don't do anything at all between waxes, so it's kinda nbd. I don't really track mileage between waxes, I just flip the pot switch "On" whenever the chain feels dryer than I like to the touch.
Arts & crafts major plus a minor in organic solvent chemistry, with cyccommute as the instructor.
Old 12-20-22, 01:24 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Arts & crafts major plus a minor in organic solvent chemistry, with cyccommute as the instructor.
Well I am a chemist, and this statement is at least partially true, minus the arts and crats part . Maybe it's a proclivity for fiddling with instrumentation and other synthesis/processing apparatuses.
Old 12-20-22, 03:44 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
The only time I broke a chain was coincidentally after letting it soak overnight in purple degreaser.
I have never broken a chain in my over 40,000 miles of riding.
Old 12-20-22, 04:18 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw

I guess. The way I look at it is: buy a crock pot and have a place to keep it. Start the pot, wait (yeah, you can do something else, but still waiting), remove the chain, immerse the chain. Let it cool, shake off the excess. Reinstall the chain. Same process whether you're rotating the chains or not. Get really, really incredible performance and longevity (paraphrasing here).

VS

Store a small bottle of drip lube. Wipe off the chain with a rag (with or without OMS). Drip on the lube, rotate the chain, wipe off excess. Get great (as opposed to really, really incredible) performance and longevity. Buy a new chain infrequently, instead of possibly more infrequently.

I'm not convinced. But I feel ashamed that I'm arguing about this because it's so trivial and such a waste of time doing so.

Last edited by Camilo; 12-20-22 at 04:23 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 12-20-22, 04:29 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by Camilo
I guess. The way I look at it is: buy a crock pot and have a place to keep it. Start the pot, wait (yeah, you can do something else, but still waiting), remove the chain, immerse the chain. Let it cool, shake off the excess. Reinstall the chain. Same process whether you're rotating the chains or not. Get really, really incredible performance and longevity (paraphrasing here).

VS

Store a small bottle of drip lube. Wipe off the chain with a rag (with or without OMS). Drip on the lube, rotate the chain, wipe off excess. Get great (as opposed to really, really incredible) performance and longevity. Buy a new chain infrequently, instead of possibly more infrequently.

I'm not convinced. But I feel ashamed that I'm arguing about this because it's so trivial and such a waste of time doing so.
You should not feel ashamed. People reading this need to know all sides of the story and make decisions for themselves if hot waxing is worth the extra time and $$ for the limited if any extra longevity, just to get a cleaner looking chain. If that is the objective and you are a neat freak, hot wax may indeed make you sing and whistle when you ride. If you are expecting to double your chain life, intervals between lubing and reduce enough friction to toast your buddies up that hill they embarrassed you on before, you will be disappointed.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-20-22, 06:58 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

You should not feel ashamed. People reading this need to know all sides of the story and make decisions for themselves if hot waxing is worth the extra time and $$ for the limited if any extra longevity, just to get a cleaner looking chain. If that is the objective and you are a neat freak, hot wax may indeed make you sing and whistle when you ride. If you are expecting to double your chain life, intervals between lubing and reduce enough friction to toast your buddies up that hill they embarrassed you on before, you will be disappointed.
Paraffin may be most inexpensive chain lubricant available. The crock pot is an expense, but that was a one-time purchase.

Last edited by TMonk; 12-21-22 at 07:58 AM.
Old 12-21-22, 01:18 PM
AnthonyE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just checked. A 105 11-speed chain costs $25 and a 105 11-speed cassette costs $57. Let's do the math. My current 50/50 oil/mineral spirits homebrew lube every 500 miles gets me at least 8K miles, but more like 10K miles out of a chain. Let's just say for argument's sake that a cassette needs to be replaced every second chain replacement (although I've never worn out a cassette). And for simplicity, since I ride about 3000 miles per year, let's say I get about 9000 miles out of a chain. So that turns out to be $25 at the 3 year mark and then $82 at the 6 year mark.

The cheapest crockpot costs about the same as a bicycle chain - $25. One pound of Molten Speedwax costs another $25. And how many uses can you get out of a pot of hot wax before you need to replace it? Plus all that extra time spent.

And again, none of you here in the hot wax cult have yet responded with how many miles you get from your hot waxed chains. NONE OF YOU.

As we used to say, it sounds like you're all head and no shaft.
The savings come in the form of the other wear components on bicycles as well. Chain rings and cassettes are not cheap these days especially when you're running Shimano DA or SRAM Red/Eagle. Add to that good quality chains then things can get expensive. I don't understand the hostility towards people pointing out the facts of chain waxing. I say this is not debatable as there is real data done by independent parties that show clearly that hot melt wax is a far superior chain lube. It might be debatable whether or not someone wants to go down the rabbit hole of waxing their chain but this has nothing to do with whether or not it works better. In order for a drip lube to work as good you would need to deep clean your chain after every single ride, which obviously is more time consuming and wasteful than hot melt wax. I personally feel like it's common sense to understand the theory that oil based lubes instantly start grabbing grit from the road which then becomes a lapping compound. Which you then can only get out with heavy de-greasing. I would love to see your hand after rubbing along your chain, there is no way it isn't black paste. Your lube didn't go on black. With a tiny bit of reasoning, why do you think it's now black?

As far as giving you a distance a waxed chain lasted, I honestly can't yet. Most people have started waxing only somewhat recently, myself included. I can tell you that I have almost 5K miles on my waxed chain and can't tell any sort of wear at all. But this isn't a good judge yet as chain wear is not linear. As with most mechanical devices, once the wear does start to creep in then it compounds over shorter and shorter time periods.

Waxing is certainly not for everyone though. Most people who are waxing do have a bit of a tinkerers personality with a little built in OCD. But most of these OCD cyclists also have some of the most well kept nicest looking bikes. I personally spent a lot of money on my bikes and treat them like I do anything else I spent a large amount of money on. My house, truck, woodworking shop/tools, etc all get taken care of with the goal of them running smoother and longer than if they weren't. If I'm being honest, the thing that really drew me to hot melt wax was the cleanliness side of things. I hated cleaning my nasty drive trains when it was time to wash my bike. That black sludge obviously doesn't bother everyone though, but be sure without a sliver of doubt, that black sludge is a true sign of wear.
Old 12-21-22, 01:50 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

The crock pot is an expense, but that was a one-time purchase.
$12!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Crock-Pot...lack/50213889?
Old 12-21-22, 02:08 PM
spelger

$5. good will, at least that is what i paid.
Old 12-21-22, 04:36 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Paraffin may be most inexpensive chain lubricant available.
I agree that inexpensive paraffin and a crock pot is the cheapest method, but it’s more work and is no better than a good drip wax. Here is what ZFC says about inexpensive wax on a chain in their chain waxing FAQ:

Q) What is the difference between candle wax / cheap paraffin online vs MSpeedwax? I know Mspeedwax has some go fast additives in it but it costs a lot more?

A) Candles / cheap paraffin have a very high mineral oil content of typically around 7%. This means it will get quite gunky quite quickly, and this gunky part will gather more contamination more quickly, so the wax in the pot will become contaminated much more quickly as well. The base wax in Mspeedwax is the highest lab grade paraffin available which is refined down to practically zero mineral oil content. You can literally eat this base paraffin with no ill effects. This lab grade paraffin is expensive, I have looked at this lab grade paraffin from Norco chemical supplies in aus, and 1 lb bag of just the paraffin costs more than a 1lb bag of Mspeedwax.

Over the years I have had A LOT of home waxers using candles / cheap paraffin try mspeedwax. The fact they keep ordering mspeedwax shows me they don’t go back to the cheap stuff. I have also seen many home wax chains, and most are not a good look. If you listened to a recent Nerd Alert podcast on Cycling Tips – their go to mechanic Zac was anti wax because he had just seen too many “waxed” drive trains so gummed up they wouldn’t even shift gears or be able to shift into the 11t cog etc.

A lot of the voodoo and poor miss-conceptions re waxing come from the cheap backyard wax methods that one see’s on you tube etc, and overall it can give waxing a bad rap which leads to many people being turned off and missing out on saving a veritable shipload of friction and wear every ride, as well as all the maintenance savings.
Make no mistake, the difference between the majority of home blends & Mspeedwax is night and day.
Old 12-21-22, 05:00 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

I've tried MSW, and I have some that I may reserve for my TT bike only, but the others seems to work just fine w parrafin after a few years
Old 12-21-22, 08:09 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by scottfsmith
I agree that inexpensive paraffin and a crock pot is the cheapest method, but it’s more work and is no better than a good drip wax.
I use Gulf food grade paraffin wax, which is also theoretically edible, and it has worked out fine so far. I also have half a kg of Silca Secret Chain Blend, which is more expensive.

But this thread seems to have caused a run on Gulf wax online, which is currently selling for about 8x of the $4 I paid for the 1 lb. at Walmart.com.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.