Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Favorite Tool

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Favorite Tool

Old 12-23-22, 04:31 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Favorite Tool

Everyone has that one tool, that one you reach for for about everything.
Mine is a box end crescent wrench.
Stanley - The Claw is it's actual name, but what it is, is a box end crescent.
I watch for them on ebay.
I have a 10", 2-8" and 2-6" and I use them constantly.
One of these is at 3 bucks right now...
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...0&LH_PrefLoc=2
Old 12-23-22, 05:03 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
For framebuilding my fav is my hand scraped cast iron flat surface.

For bike wrenching it's a 8,9,10 "Y" wrench

For general life stuff it's an Explorer Swiss Army Knife (by Victorinox of course), and yes, those are unicycle build plans...
Old 12-23-22, 05:20 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3487 Post(s)
Liked 2,905 Times in 1,765 Posts
Park vintage 4,5,6 mm Allen tri wrench.
Old 12-23-22, 06:49 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
Having been a stagehand for near 50 years, I got in the habit of carrying a multi-tool of some sort. Before Leatherman and the like were invented it was a Victorinox Champ SAK. Later Gerber, SOG or Leatherman. Never liked Leathermans. My current go to that I carry is a Gerber Truss MT, this being the design who's assorted tools open outward so no need to open up the pliers to access a knife, etc.,, They discontinued this design apparantly, too bad, best MT I've used.
Old 12-23-22, 07:21 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
Ball-end P-handle Allens.
Old 12-23-22, 07:25 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 1,797 Times in 814 Posts
+1 on the 8-9-10 Y wrench. I'm still using the one I bought at Yellow Front back in 1980-1981 or so. Used it quite a bit this afternoon, in fact, stripping an old swingset-steel Huffy.
Old 12-23-22, 08:05 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
These days I am pretty much specializing in wheel building although I still do some general bike work. I do get the most satisfaction from using my wheel building tools.

Last edited by Dan Burkhart; 12-23-22 at 09:01 PM.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 12-23-22, 09:24 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,808 Times in 1,534 Posts
hard to say favorite but best decision/purchase was to quit goofing around with DIY stand and getting a Park PCS 10 stand

I now wish I had a park wheel building stand, but don't do enough of that to justify

Old 12-23-22, 09:55 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,200 Times in 2,357 Posts
My Park PRS-6 (pre-1996). I use it nearly every day.

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 12-23-22, 09:56 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Bike specific: EVT Ultra True Arc hangar alignment tool
not bike specific: Knipex 7” Pliers-wrench

the EVT is both a beast and precise at the same time. It is a joy to use.

the Knipex is great to have at the volunteer co-op. It will grab 14 and 15mm axle nuts as well as threaded headset and Ashtabula locknuts.
Old 12-23-22, 10:00 PM
bluemule 

Bikes: Bridgestone MB5; Dahon Speed "Trio"

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I like the specialized bike tools that are made for the specific job at hand. Like my cotter pin removal tool, which I haven't used for a long time, but I know it's down there in the bottom of the bike tool box, waiting for the day I decide to take up another vintage Raleigh.
Old 12-23-22, 10:04 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Having been a stagehand for near 50 years, I got in the habit of carrying a multi-tool of some sort. Before Leatherman and the like were invented it was a Victorinox Champ SAK. Later Gerber, SOG or Leatherman. Never liked Leathermans. My current go to that I carry is a Gerber Truss MT, this being the design who's assorted tools open outward so no need to open up the pliers to access a knife, etc.,, They discontinued this design apparantly, too bad, best MT I've used.
Haven’t used a MT in 16 years.

My experience was the Leatherman had a harder tool steel and the phillips bit lasted longer than the Gerber.
Guys liked the Gerber because they’d screw around with whipping it open like a switchblade or something.
Old 12-24-22, 12:27 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
At the shop, I like to slide a Park pedal wrench under the top of a new bike box to pop it open. Very satisfying.

Likes For Rolla:
Old 12-24-22, 07:11 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 405 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
Haven’t used a MT in 16 years.

My experience was the Leatherman had a harder tool steel and the phillips bit lasted longer than the Gerber.
Guys liked the Gerber because they’d screw around with whipping it open like a switchblade or something.
I agree and appreciate the scale to nearly 8 inches and in mm, at 72 I still carry a Leatherman every day.
Old 12-24-22, 07:58 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
pedal wrench - it's a skinny old French unit but it works great

also, I'm glad that I dumped all my assorted & poorly stored allen wrenches into a big clear plastic snack container. they are all in there. it's OK if I have to hunt for the correct size & some are labeled w/ a piece of masking tape. but there's no more hunting for that other set of allen wrenches cuz I can't find the size I need. of course I carry a bike specific, folding allen set, that looks like a pocket knife, in my rack trunk
Old 12-24-22, 08:02 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by cyccommute
My Park PRS-6 (pre-1996). I use it nearly every day.
I remember getting my bike stand. made me feel like a grown-up. why was I hunching over all those years?
Old 12-24-22, 08:05 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
For general life stuff it's an Explorer Swiss Army Knife (by Victorinox of course), and yes, those are unicycle build plans...
I remember that model

inherited my Dad's knife collection. he had a little baggie of extra toothpicks & tweezers. now I have to find my knife that is missing both
Old 12-24-22, 08:18 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
pedal wrench - it's a skinny old French unit but it works great

also, I'm glad that I dumped all my assorted & poorly stored allen wrenches into a big clear plastic snack container. they are all in there. it's OK if I have to hunt for the correct size & some are labeled w/ a piece of masking tape. but there's no more hunting for that other set of allen wrenches cuz I can't find the size I need. of course I carry a bike specific, folding allen set, that looks like a pocket knife, in my rack trunk
Fill in the engraved size with white paint pen so you can read it. I do he same with dark impact sockets
Old 12-24-22, 09:15 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
I have three:

The Park AWS1 4-5-6 mm allen Y-tool. Mine is so old and been used so much that I "dremeled" a thin slice off the 4mm to reestablish a sharp tip.

The Park PFP-4 floor pump refitted with a Hirame presta valve chuck. It's in nearly daily use for years

The "Wrench Force" (aka Feedback Sports) repair stand. Wrench Force was a Trek house brand and It was a super bargain years ago when Trek was closing them out and getting out of the tool business. Mine came with a crude but usable wheel alignment attachment, a carrying case and a handlebar/fork holder to keep the front wheel from flopping around when the bike is off the ground.
Old 12-24-22, 09:22 AM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by aggiegrads
I first became aware of the Knipex pliers wrenches just a few months ago, and I have really been impressed by how useful I have found them to be. In addition to tightening and loosening fasteners and fittings that have "flats", I have found them to be great for bending metal.

It would be hard to pick just one size. The 7" is a great all-arounder for a lot of stuff, but I also find myself running into situations where the 5-inch (86 03 125) is just dynamite.

For a couple of the sizes I have, I've also purchased the soft jaw covers.
Likes For John Valuk:
Old 12-24-22, 09:40 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
1. Leatherman Juice CS-4. EDC on or off the bike.
2. Knipex 6" pliers
3. Crankbrothers M10 Multi Tool

Maybe not a "tool," but my Bike Hand gets more use than any other thing on the list except the Leatherman.
Old 12-24-22, 10:39 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
Favorite all around Tool? Probably my mill, but possibly only because I don’t own a lathe.

Favorite bicycle tool is probably a dial indicator. I’m not sure it lets me true wheels substantially better, but it does make it substantially faster and easier.

Also on the incredibly handy list is a decent pair of digital calipers. I’d list the surface plate, but then I’d need to list the plethora of things that go with it, even if I didn’t do that for the mill.
Likes For jccaclimber:
Old 12-25-22, 09:25 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Probably my mini Snap-On 1/4 Bit Ratchet, it gets quite a bit of usage. I would say my Abbey Chain Tool but I don't use it quite as often but it does feel good in the hand and operates so smoothly.
Old 12-25-22, 11:41 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by aggiegrads
Bike specific: EVT Ultra True Arc hangar alignment tool

the EVT is both a beast and precise at the same time. It is a joy to use.

the Knipex is great to have at the volunteer co-op. It will grab 14 and 15mm axle nuts as well as threaded headset and Ashtabula locknuts.
Originally Posted by John Valuk
I first became aware of the Knipex pliers wrenches just a few months ago, and I have really been impressed by how useful I have found them to be. In addition to tightening and loosening fasteners and fittings that have "flats", I have found them to be great for bending metal.

It would be hard to pick just one size. The 7" is a great all-arounder for a lot of stuff, but I also find myself running into situations where the 5-inch (86 03 125) is just dynamite.

For a couple of the sizes I have, I've also purchased the soft jaw covers.
If I’m going to buy one Knipex pliers wrench for working on bikes, which size do you both recommend? 7”?
Old 12-25-22, 02:17 PM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
If I’m going to buy one Knipex pliers wrench for working on bikes, which size do you both recommend? 7”?
I think that the 7" pliers wrench is a great all-arounder for a lot of general mechanical work - and a great starting point for someone who has never used one of these before. I don't use mine a lot on bikes, but my few current bikes don't have a lot of fasteners and fittings that have flats.

For me, the magic with these comes from:
  • Jaws have smooth faces to engage what one is gripping with minimal damage to part surfaces.
  • Jaws remain parallel.
  • They have fairly high mechanical advantage when it comes to the motion of the jaw relative to the motion of the handle when closing. So, it's easy to apply significant force at the jaws (and so engage the part firmly, and not mangle the stuff on which one is working).
For fasteners and fittings, I often find myself using these in places where I would otherwise use an adjustable wrench or a regular open-end wrench.

I would recommend thinking about where you might use it (on the types of bikes on which you work, or wherever) and then pick one that is sized appropriately. These have fairly large jaw capacity relative to overall length, so for me, the choice is usually driven by the handle length required for leverage. Smaller sizes have slimmer and more compact jaws that can work in tighter spaces.
Likes For John Valuk:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.