Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Edge 1040 - metal mounting tabs are a questionable idea

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 12-26-22, 10:00 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts

I bought myself an Edge 1040 and I have encountered a minor issue. The 1040 has precision-machined aluminum mounting tabs, likely to strengthen the tabs. Every review mentions this feature as a benefit of the 1040. It's possible people have had problems with plastic tabs snapping on prior models, but that's not an issue I've heard of.

The metal tabs have two issues:

1. The tolerances of the metal tabs seem slightly different from the plastic tabs and they don't fit as tightly in most third-party mounts. The 1040 rattles in two of my "included with the bike" third party out-front mounts. Both rattles were easily solved with a couple slivers of tubeless tape inside the mount, but this is annoying. My old Edge 520 this is replacing does not rattle at all in any of these mounts. Note that the Garmin mount included with the 1040 seems to incorporate tighter tolerances and more plastic damping to account for this.

2. The metal tabs are obviously much harder than the plastic mount inserts any mount uses. I'm certain that over time the metal tabs will wear away at the plastic mounts, decreasing security and increasing rattling. If you have an integral mount (as most higher end bikes do these days), it will likely be hard to replace these parts.

Again, this is hardly a deal-killer with the Edge 1040 but it's the kind of thing that makes me question why they did it. I wish bike computer makers would just pick a mount standard and stick to it.
Old 12-26-22, 11:29 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,318 Times in 914 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
I bought myself an Edge 1040 and I have encountered a minor issue. The 1040 has precision-machined aluminum mounting tabs, likely to strengthen the tabs. Every review mentions this feature as a benefit of the 1040. It's possible people have had problems with plastic tabs snapping on prior models, but that's not an issue I've heard of.
It's a real problem (not overly frequent). Even if you haven't heard of it.

https://www.dogearsgps.com/

2. The metal tabs are obviously much harder than the plastic mount inserts any mount uses. I'm certain that over time the metal tabs will wear away at the plastic mounts, decreasing security and increasing rattling. If you have an integral mount (as most higher end bikes do these days), it will likely be hard to replace these parts.
Some of the mounts allow you to replace the plastic receiver. Integral mounts (especially) should provide for that.

Last edited by njkayaker; 12-26-22 at 11:34 AM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 12-26-22, 12:10 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
I'm not sure what to think about this. I know people that have broken the ears on the gps and there have been posts about it here. My only input is definitely use the lanyard that comes with it.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 12-26-22, 12:43 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
I wish bike computer makers would just pick a mount standard and stick to it.
As long as it's the one I use. Everybody else having to go buy new mounts is fine, but not acceptable if it affects me.

GPS watches make excellent bike computers and wrists are pretty universal as far as mounts go. Garmin does a much better job with their watches than dedicated bike computers.
Old 12-26-22, 02:03 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
The metal tabs have two issues:

1. The tolerances of the metal tabs seem slightly different from the plastic tabs and they don't fit as tightly in most third-party mounts. The 1040 rattles in two of my "included with the bike" third party out-front mounts. Both rattles were easily solved with a couple slivers of tubeless tape inside the mount, but this is annoying. My old Edge 520 this is replacing does not rattle at all in any of these mounts. Note that the Garmin mount included with the 1040 seems to incorporate tighter tolerances and more plastic damping to account for this.
So your issue with the mounting tabs on the 1040 is that third party suppliers haven't updated their design to properly fit, while Garmin has? I hope you never buy a Varia RCT715. Your head will explode.
Old 12-27-22, 10:38 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Yeah.. why doesn't my 27" tire fit my new bikes rims? Surely it must be a conspiracy!
Old 12-27-22, 11:05 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Going to metal was a good idea, given that Garmin had a liberal device replacement policy for broken tabs on plastic models. Let the aftermarket manufactures play catch up for the re-design. Ive no issues, I use either the Garmin mounts, some Velo Endeavor/Amazon out fronts, or some metal mounts that install on the stem cap on my mt. bikes, no issues with any.
Old 12-27-22, 02:09 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Yeah.. why doesn't my 27" tire fit my new bikes rims? Surely it must be a conspiracy!
I hope you never buy a Varia RCT715. Your head will explode.
As long as it's the one I use. Everybody else having to go buy new mounts is fine, but not acceptable if it affects me.

Checking out.

Last edited by Hiro11; 12-27-22 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-27-22, 02:30 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Checking out.
You shouldn't give up so easily. Nor should you take offense because others of us don't see it the same way you do.

Garmin includes the correct mounts to use with their devices. Usually two different styles of mount with each Edge device.
Old 12-27-22, 02:35 PM
Seattle Forrest

Checking out.
What did you expect the BF brain trust to be able to do for you about this? We can't go back in time and change an existing product in the world to be something different. This is a discussion forum, all we can really do here is discuss ideas and hope useful information gets shared. In this case, you learned that the plastic tabs on older models did in fact break off sometimes and that's why they made this change. I guess other people learned the 1040 has metal tabs and is anybody else online is similarly concerned you may have brought this to their attention too.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 12-28-22, 08:42 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Interesting, from a couple of perspectives.

I've never broken one of the older version plastic tabs. I wonder if this is more of an off-road problem? (Or have I successfully avoided more potholes than I knew?)

I wonder if this is an attempt to reclaim some of the aftermarket sales. Change the dimensions just a little bit, it still works but maybe some consumers will say "[Aftermarket maker] mounts are just junk, better to stick with Garmin mounts."

I also wonder if the rattling @Hiro saw with existing mounts is the reason Garmin went with plastic in the first place. Metal is going to rattle louder than plastic! Or if they opted for plastic for cost.
Old 12-28-22, 09:06 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I've never broken the plastic dog ears either. However there were always angry threads at the Garmin forums from people that did.

Also, the weight of the devices are increasing. So maybe that plays into Garmin's decision to change the mounting up some.

My old Edge 500 was only 2 oz.

Edge 530 2.7 oz.
Edge 830 2.8 oz.
Edge 1040 4.4 oz
Edge 1040 solar 4.7 oz
Old 12-28-22, 11:25 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

[QUOTE=Seattle Forrest;22749426]As long as it's the one I use. Everybody else having to go buy new mounts is fine, but not acceptable if it affects me.

GPS watches make excellent bike computers and wrists are pretty universal as far as mounts go. Garmin does a much better job with their watches than dedicated bike computers.[/QUOTE

Unless you want to see your data while riding. It’s easier to view a device on the bar with much larger screen and text. I can track with my instinct, but no map means I don’t use it for cycling much
Old 12-28-22, 11:52 AM
Seattle Forrest

[QUOTE=Steve B.;22751073]
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest

GPS watches make excellent bike computers and wrists are pretty universal as far as mounts go. Garmin does a much better job with their watches than dedicated bike computers.[/QUOTE

Unless you want to see your data while riding. It’s easier to view a device on the bar with much larger screen and text. I can track with my instinct, but no map means I don’t use it for cycling much
​​​​​​I do this all the time with my watch, check my current power output, use the map for Madison or to make a decision, etc. I keep hearing this is impossible even though it's easy and straightforward.
Old 12-28-22, 01:52 PM
zaje

Bikes: Ridley XBow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
[QUOTE=Seattle Forrest;22751108]
Originally Posted by Steve B.

it's easy and straightforward.
only if your eyes are good enough to see map details on watch's face.
Old 01-04-23, 01:57 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

even now that I've had cataract surgery, I doubt a map on a watch face would work for me. My 830 is just large enough.
Old 01-04-23, 02:45 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
even now that I've had cataract surgery, I doubt a map on a watch face would work for me. My 830 is just large enough.
Welcome to the club! :/

FYI, Bolle and Tifosi, at least, have riding glasses in clear or tinted with reading "bifocals." It's still easier for me to read the bar-mounted GPS that trying to read a watch while rolling.
Old 01-04-23, 03:59 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by unterhausen
There are as BTW, iQ add-on apps that allow you to increase font sizes of the data screens.
Old 01-10-23, 05:31 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I can read the the things I want to read on the 830 no problem, especially now. My watch will put up a full screen of 3 point text (for no reason) that is impossible for me to read with no glasses. Like when I'm swimming, it's all just lost on me. The 830 does this too, do the developers even ride bikes, ever? Even if I had my readers on, I sincerely doubt I would want to read a wall of text while I was riding my bike, and I surely don't want to stop to do it. I tried locking the screen on the 830, but it still does this. Locking just means I can't do it, not the developers.

When I still had cataracts, I could read my 830 okay during the day. But at night I needed glasses. Now I need sunglasses so I'm not in pain from all the light, so I get cheap bifocal safety glasses.
Old 01-12-23, 07:00 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
ENGO 2 heads-up display cycling sunglasses weigh just 36g, use gesture control - Bikerumor