Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cloth vs. paper?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Cloth vs. paper?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-23, 08:45 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 708 Posts
Cloth vs. paper?

This is a stupid question and I should probably just do some empirical experiments to learn the answer myself, but I figure what-the-hell maybe someone else has already done that and I can learn from them:

For simple, routine, quick-once-over-after-every-ride chain wiping ...is there any difference in effectiveness between a cloth rag (cotton, terry, microfiber, whatever) versus a paper towel?

Thanks.
Old 01-11-23, 08:53 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3510 Post(s)
Liked 2,924 Times in 1,774 Posts
I would think a paper towel would shred material onto the chain far easier than a rag.

Personally, I think everyone should have an ample supply of these scattered around the shop or wherever you keep your bike:

Shop Rags

Last edited by smd4; 01-11-23 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-11-23, 09:44 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Cloth will shred less, as smd4 said. I have many years supply of old bike Tee shirts (one of the burdens shop workers have is all the free bike branded tees we are given). I find terry cloth will tend to snag and have threads pull out easily. Andy
Old 01-11-23, 09:49 AM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,910 Times in 1,140 Posts
I am in favor of cloth also. Growing up most tools were not plated and we kept tins with an oil soaked cloth in them on the work bench to wipe all tools down after use. I think of chain upkeep the same way, a bit of oil wipe down after use will keep them from rusting so fast. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 01-11-23, 11:07 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
This is a stupid question and I should probably just do some empirical experiments to learn the answer myself, but I figure what-the-hell maybe someone else has already done that and I can learn from them:

For simple, routine, quick-once-over-after-every-ride chain wiping ...is there any difference in effectiveness between a cloth rag (cotton, terry, microfiber, whatever) versus a paper towel?

Thanks.
As with others I expect a paper towel would shred quickly. And that would be a mess with paper fibers all over the chain. I'm in the "old T-shirts as rags" camp. I even wash them sometimes to get more use out of them.
Old 01-11-23, 12:00 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
Paper towels get shredded not fun, have done it. Just use some old whatever you have at the house, t-shirts, jeans or other pants, towels, sheets, pretty much any old worn out stuff. Think of it as a way to purge the closets or an opportunity to get something new for you and use the old crap for the bike. You have gotten your usage out of it so get it greasy and toss it and it gives you a little more life.
Old 01-11-23, 12:32 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
I don't have trouble with paper towels shredding as long as I've got enough oil on the chain. Ergo, paper towels are what I use!
Old 01-11-23, 12:39 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
old towels are great. they are thick. they don't tear. you can do more wiping with them. they can be washed & reused. Earth friendly. towels are more useful around the rear derailleur jockey wheels because they don't fall apart & get stuck between the chain & the teeth of the wheels, hehe

paper towels are convenient but can break in your hand, so I use disposable gloves. now I'm polluting the environment in 2 ways. paper "shop towels" are more durable but cost more

I like towels this time of year because I can start with the top of the bike, wiping, drying, etc. & then move downward, toward to dirtier stuff like wheels & tire sidewalls, then finish at the drivetrain

last ride w/ the MTB I just dried the chain w/ paper towels & left the rest of the bike to drip dry. only exception was my routine for the fork stanchions, which I baby after each ride. paper towels, low pressure compressed air & stanchion lube w/ q-tips & more paper towels

also use a little low pressure compressed air around both derailleurs

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-11-23 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-11-23, 02:22 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I would think a paper towel would shred material onto the chain far easier than a rag.

Personally, I think everyone should have an ample supply of these scattered around the shop or wherever you keep your bike:

Shop Rags
I use an industrial paper shop towel on my chain, and it doesnt leave any fibers. Unfortunately I dont know the brand.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 01-12-23, 06:56 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts

Thanks.
When it comes to wiping a chain there is a huge difference between terry cloth and a old T shirt and a kitchen paper towel and a paper shop towel like these https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...kaAiImEALw_wcB.
Old 01-12-23, 07:05 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
I use those blue paper shop towels. I've had zero issues with shredding. Difference in effectiveness, huh? How would you even measure that?
Old 01-12-23, 07:07 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
And old shirts, towels, etc that don't shred also have the advantage of easy to do cassette flossing with wheel on bike.

I have bags of old clothing etc so there's never an end of rags, handy given that I commute in all weather, including in our Great White North winter.
Likes For djb:
Old 01-12-23, 10:51 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I will add my vote for cloth and/or old T-shirts. I usually spritz mine with some rubbing alcohol prior to wiping down the chain.
Old 01-13-23, 12:13 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
I've used kitchen paper towels in a pinch and didn't like the shredded paper ending up on my floor, a long time ago I bought a HF magnetic glove box holder which I fill with the basic cotton cloths from HF as well, usually white or off-white, don't care for red when dealing with cleaners and white bikes. The cheap HF rags are one of the few items there I consider worth buying. I also have a box of industrial paper towels and when needed found them adequate for doing a bike or two but cloths let you wipe down a dozen chains before needing to be tossed, they also let you wipe down bikes and toss in the wash rather than dispose of right away.
Old 01-13-23, 07:01 AM
Charles Lathe

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 25 Posts
Over at Silca, the advice is to use micro fiber towels — whether you buy them from Silca or somewhere else.
Old 01-13-23, 08:04 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 233 Posts
The title of this thread reminded me of a few years ago when my brother in law went to the grocery store...wife must have been very sick...and they asked him "paper or plastic?" He didn't even know that there were 2 kinds of grocery bags and thought they were asking him, "cash or charge?"

Ha, ha,....we still tease him about that one.
Old 01-13-23, 08:06 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Quoted: 3510 Post(s)
Liked 2,924 Times in 1,774 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles Lathe
Over at Silca, the advice is to use micro fiber towels — whether you buy them from Silca or somewhere else.
Love Silca. Won't take their advice re micro fiber towels though.
Old 01-13-23, 05:25 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
you can buy a bunch of red rags, or some places just have a bundle of rags, at home improvement places for cheap, get those, use one till it's no longer useable than throw it away. 3 pound bundle of rags are about $17 on Amazon, red rags are a little more but not that much more, maybe $20.

In fact a quick search at Home Depot popped ups a box of 200 white painter rags for $13.

Rags are great for cleaning the chain, you can use them more than once on a chain, in fact probably a dozen times, so even if you use a rag say 4 times before throwing it away, that's 4 days of riding, so that box of rags will last you 800 days of riding.
Old 01-13-23, 06:51 PM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts

Thanks.
I would use a cotton material. Paper towels used to be trees.
Likes For Chuck Naill:
Old 01-14-23, 09:03 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles Lathe
I hate microfiber towels! They stick to my hands like velcro.

Paper towels in a pinch but generally old t-shirts are best. I don’t have to clean off lubricant from my chain however so my rags last a very long time.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-14-23, 10:56 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I like to use old socks. Good for flossing cassettes, used as a "glove", efficient for cleaning everything from chains to tubes.
Old 01-16-23, 03:10 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Kitchen type paper towels do shred and make a mess. I do use paper but have found that roll ends from roll dispensers used
in commercial rest rooms work well and do not shred. Roll ends are left over by restroom cleaners when they find a 6-8"
diameter roll is nearly used up and down to the last 1/4-1" of paper so is changed out. Some roll ends are left on a shelf in the restroom
and I picked up several dozen over the years, a life time supply. They are absorbent enough and have never shredded when
used for chain wipe. Cotton from cotton plants or cellulose from a tree differ mostly in fiber length and caliber.
Old 01-18-23, 07:35 PM
Champy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My favorite cotton
Old 01-18-23, 10:59 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,876 Times in 1,079 Posts
paper towels shredding ?

what brands ? are you wiping a chain saw chain ?

we use Bounty paper towels - never have a problem with shredding

typically dispose of used paper towels quickly (especially towels with lubricants / solvents ) - often in a sealed container that sits outside (away from the house)

typically don’t keep rags in the garage or basement - can be a fire hazard
Old 01-20-23, 07:29 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
paper towels shredding ?

what brands ? are you wiping a chain saw chain ?

we use Bounty paper towels - never have a problem with shredding

typically dispose of used paper towels quickly (especially towels with lubricants / solvents ) - often in a sealed container that sits outside (away from the house)

typically don’t keep rags in the garage or basement - can be a fire hazard
Wrong kind of oil to be a fire hazard. Drying oils like linseed oil produce heat during the oxidative curing process that can’t be shed quickly. The heat can build up to the point where the material the oil in on can self-combust. They shouldn’t be stored “in a sealed container” for disposal but, rather, should be either stored in a sealed can under water or spread out to dry on a noncombustible surface.

Oils used for lubrication don’t self-combust because they don’t auto-oxidize. Having a lubricating oil that is susceptible to oxidation and chemical cross linking would be detrimental to their use as a lubricant.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.