Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

So much resistance to change

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

So much resistance to change

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-23, 07:09 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6958 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Dont get me wrong, in that everything has to be the latest. Actually I think the bikes produced around 1990 with down tube shifters. and click shifting were probably the zenith of bikes. They so mechanically perfect with almost no cables flapping in the wind. That is until something really fantastic that changes everything comes along.
Why do old people always think that things were better back in the olden days?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-11-23, 07:11 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6958 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Watch some video of vintage, pre-1985 TDF. There are no "cables flapping in the wind."
There were never any cables "flapping in the wind." rydabent just makes stuff up.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-11-23, 07:23 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3504 Post(s)
Liked 2,922 Times in 1,774 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr

Furthermore, nothing was questioned. smd just flat out said Kontact's analysis isnt true….

Its was funny to read that because smd has no idea where Kontact even lives…

I now find it funny that I had to explain what seems like a very easily discernable difference between smd's ignorant claim…
HEY! Leave me out of this!!
Likes For smd4:
Old 01-11-23, 07:32 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3883 Post(s)
Liked 6,476 Times in 3,205 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Because some things were better.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 01-11-23, 07:37 PM
TheMountBike
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tiff shifting on your bike

If you're experiencing stiff shifting on your bike, there are a few things that could be causing the problem.

1. Check to make sure that your derailleur hanger is aligned properly. If it's even slightly out of alignment, it can cause shifting problems.

2. Possibility is that your chain is too tight. When the chain is too tight, it puts extra tension on the derailleurs and can cause them to work less efficiently.

3. There's something wrong with the shift forks inside the transmission. The forks can get bent or damaged, making shifting gears difficult.

4. If you're having trouble shifting gears, you should be to check for any obvious problems like a loose shift knob or worn-out bushings/bearings.

5. Check your chain regularly. A loose or damaged chain can cause your gears to slip or change unexpectedly.
Finally, make sure that your shifter cables are in good condition and properly adjusted.
If they're frayed or stretched, they'll need to be replaced. If you've checked all these things and your shifter still feels stiff, then it's probably time to replace it.
Old 01-11-23, 07:40 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
What is it about the cycling community that is so resistance to change, and have such narrow minded attitudes. You can go back to 1934 when bents were banned from racing, because just one guy was winning all the races and time trials. Or maybe further back to about 1890 when the "safety bike" superseded the penny-farthling. Then come forward to the middle 80s when click shifting came out, most roadies claimed they would never use it. Also in that time frame mountain bikes were scoffed at in the beginning. Closer to this time frame, disc brakes were roundly put down, and some made it sound like in a crash, riders would be slashed so bad they would never ride again!!!! And lastly the huge out cry against bikes and trikes with electric motors. IMO almost all these things I have mentioned are huge advances, because it makes bikes better, easer to use for more people, safer, and increases the number of people that cycle.

Then we have the question of just who is a cyclist. The really hard core claim that unless you ride a $5000 bike, and have $500 kit you really are not a cyclist. IMO ANYONE that pedals a 1, 2, 3, or a 4 wheel machine is a cyclist. That includes little Susie and her sidewalk bike with training wheels.

So what are the thots of others on the forum???
Simple, I'm not interested in most people's opinion.
I'll ride what works for me. Mountain bike with slicks? Recumbent? Steel? Stand up Bike? Fat bike?
And feel free to do so in jeans, flip flops, grass skirt, or nothing at all.

Someone on a $5000 bike with full kit and their butt in the air doesn't like your style?
Who cares?
Just look at them... they look ridiculous!

Almost as silly as those people stuck in cars!
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 01-11-23, 09:47 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4941 Post(s)
Liked 8,081 Times in 3,822 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMountBike
If you're experiencing stiff shifting on your bike, there are a few things that could be causing the problem.

1. Check to make sure that your derailleur hanger is aligned properly. If it's even slightly out of alignment, it can cause shifting problems.

2. Possibility is that your chain is too tight. When the chain is too tight, it puts extra tension on the derailleurs and can cause them to work less efficiently.

3. There's something wrong with the shift forks inside the transmission. The forks can get bent or damaged, making shifting gears difficult.

4. If you're having trouble shifting gears, you should be to check for any obvious problems like a loose shift knob or worn-out bushings/bearings.

5. Check your chain regularly. A loose or damaged chain can cause your gears to slip or change unexpectedly.
Finally, make sure that your shifter cables are in good condition and properly adjusted.
If they're frayed or stretched, they'll need to be replaced. If you've checked all these things and your shifter still feels stiff, then it's probably time to replace it.
What are shift forks? Can you provide a diagram of where those exist on a bicycle?

Maybe try sorting out what kind of vehicle you want to talk about, and stick to just that vehicle, when you offer up unsolicited and really mediocre advice.
Old 01-11-23, 10:17 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 911 Times in 446 Posts
Old people have been thinking that things are going to hell for centuries upon centuries.

And now, in 2023, they're right!

"Told you so!"
Old 01-11-23, 10:53 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 911 Times in 446 Posts

John on the Rillito path in Tucson

My friend in Tucson rides a recumbent. He's a serious cyclist.
Old 01-11-23, 11:07 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,031 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
What are shift forks? Can you provide a diagram of where those exist on a bicycle?

Maybe try sorting out what kind of vehicle you want to talk about, and stick to just that vehicle, when you offer up unsolicited and really mediocre advice.
Was there something about stiff shifting in the thread? Shift forks are inside a car transmission. Motorcycles, too, in some cases. Shift knob? Sounds like a car.
Old 01-11-23, 11:08 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Fredo76

John on the Rillito path in Tucson

My friend in Tucson rides a recumbent. He's a serious cyclist.
He's in the wrong lane.
Likes For big john:
Old 01-11-23, 11:30 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4372 Post(s)
Liked 1,551 Times in 1,016 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
As a consumer I can't say I've noticed this at all over the last 40+ years of cycling. From a design point of view bikes are certainly more complex and sophisticated, but still relatively simple machines compared to say cars or motorbikes. I'll have to take your word on warranty failures. I haven't personally had to make any claims, but then I've only bought a handful of new bikes in the last decade.

I find modern road bikes are virtually maintenance-free apart from the usual drivetrain cleaning/lube.
You haven't worn out your disc brake pads, you must live in Florida.
Old 01-11-23, 11:32 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Eric F

Maybe it's some sort of algorithm and it's responding to the thread title and it interpreted "resistance to change" as hard to change gears?
Likes For big john:
Old 01-11-23, 11:40 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Do you mean Zenith like the old TVs? My Grandmother had one. Not what I would want these days. Downtube shifting was great back when it was popular because they hadn't figured out integrated brakes and shifters in a meaningful way till the late 80s.

Flapping cables sounds like a set up issue, both of the bikes I owned with downtube shifting never had flapping cables!
I'm not sure if you are kidding or not.
"Zenith" means pinnacle or high point.
"Flapping in the wind" means that the cables were exposed and added to aerodynamic drag. It's an allusion, not literal.

A lot of this thread is like people arguing about what "is" is.
Old 01-12-23, 12:05 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
I am a music teachers and am always amused at how much criticism new forms of music meet, so I don't think resistance to change is unique to cycling.
Old 01-12-23, 12:14 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4347 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
I'm not sure if you are kidding or not.
"Zenith" means pinnacle or high point.
"Flapping in the wind" means that the cables were exposed and added to aerodynamic drag. It's an allusion, not literal.

A lot of this thread is like people arguing about what "is" is.
Yes I was joking! Well I mean my Grandmother did have a Zenith T.V. and integrated shifting is nice but aside from that yes was having a laugh.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-12-23, 12:20 AM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by urbanknight
I am a music teachers and am always amused at how much criticism new forms of music meet, so I don't think resistance to change is unique to cycling.
Dubstep sucks.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 01-12-23, 02:53 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,991 Posts
You haven't worn out your disc brake pads, you must live in Florida.
I got a full season out of Shimano road pads on rolling terrain with a few short, steep descents. I did wear out a set of SRAM pads on a trip to the French Alps. Pad change was very easy without needing to re-bleed. Literally a 10 min job requiring minimal skill.
Old 01-12-23, 07:19 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
The troll has achieved six pages and counting.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-12-23, 07:35 AM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by PeteHski
I got a full season out of Shimano road pads on rolling terrain with a few short, steep descents. I did wear out a set of SRAM pads on a trip to the French Alps. Pad change was very easy without needing to re-bleed. Literally a 10 min job requiring minimal skill.
No squealing, rapid pad wear, problems with piston centering? The people who use their brakes often put up with a lot more than you do and much more often than once a year. Pads lasting 2-3 months is common with many riders that I work with.

Everything seems to work well if you don't use it all that much.
Old 01-12-23, 08:09 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Because they loved it! They couldn't get enough of it! Flibbetyfloob!

Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 01-12-23, 08:13 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
And, ironically, Saturday Night Live was much better back in the olden days.
Old 01-12-23, 08:27 AM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
And, ironically, Saturday Night Live was much better back in the olden days.
That was a good era, that came after a bad one, that came after a good one, etc.

Bikes are the same way. I'm sure quality will improve in the future - but it isn't so hot right now.
Old 01-12-23, 08:35 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
I'm sure quality will improve in the future - but it isn't so hot right now.
Lol. Just STOP. You couldn't be more wrong.

I wish we could go back to rotary dial phones, tube TVs, floppy disk drives and reel to reel tapes. They were so much better.

Old 01-12-23, 08:55 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Old people don't always think that past technology was better. I'll be 70 this year. I bought into indexed brake/shift levers when they first came out as 8 speed and bought new stuff every time more speeds were added. I used Campy, so I nearly always had more speeds 1to 4 years ahead of Shimano users. It took Shimano forever to get their 12 speed groups out. I got Campy Chorus 12 as soon as it was available, but only kept it for a year before switching to SRAM Force AXS wireless in mid 2020, when some lower priced partial groups came out. I've got three bikes with Force AXS and hydraulic disc brakes now. Two of my bikes have integrated bar/stem and fully internal brake hose routing. I have zipp 303s wheels with 23mm IW hookless rims and BTLOS 25mm IW hookless rims. I use the zipp tire pressure calculator and only use 52/55 psi with 28mm tubeless tires. SMP Stratos saddles for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.