Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone else keeping their rim brake frames ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Anyone else keeping their rim brake frames ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-23, 08:06 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Incorrect. They also allow ...
... using different wheel sizes in the same frame.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 01-11-23, 08:45 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
... using different wheel sizes in the same frame.
There is one very big advantage, if you have the need, or desire. Most don't, but the option is there.
Old 01-11-23, 09:52 PM
MikeM21

Bikes: '96 C40, '04 C50, '04 Merlin Magia, '97 Stumpjumper, '04 Specilaized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Your wife said she was thinking of getting the Colnago for you, but we told her you didn't like disc brakes or electronic shifting, and she decided to get you something else. Enjoy your new sweater.
And just WHAT were you doing talking to my wife?!?!?!?!

(If you talk to her tomorrow tell her the evening is set aside for Zwift so she's on her own for dinner!)
Old 01-11-23, 10:07 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4930 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
There is one very big advantage, if you have the need, or desire. Most don't, but the option is there.
Yep. Mullet setups (27.5 rear, 29 front) are not uncommon for MTBs. Some gravel bikes have additional tire clearance in the frame with 650b wheels, allowing for a beefier setup if the need is there. None of that is possible with rim brakes.
Old 01-11-23, 10:31 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
HARDY HAR HAR! Well slap my knee and call me cornpone, if that isn’t the best retort I’ve ever heard! And so original. Boy, you sure got me!

As I’ve said multiple times—there’s simply no need. Got more stopping power than I need. Don’t need the added drawbacks that disc brakes offer for zero stopping benefit.

But it does sound like you may be a bit less experienced in adjusting mechanical brakes if you need two fingers to get “max benefit.”
Oh I don't know. I'm probably quite a bit more qualified to adjust all types of brakes than you are. You'll whip out you "worked in a bikeshop card", but how many brake calipers have you actually taken apart? Rim or disc?

There's no magic in adjusting mechanical brakes. They just have limitations and follow physics. When trying to stop 400lbs going down a hill, a cable's gonna stretch. But I'll assume this'll all go over your head. There'll be another fallacy coming I'm sure.
Old 01-11-23, 11:31 PM
alfaspider

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
just look at my record brakes..need to get new pads
Old 01-12-23, 12:18 AM
BBB_Adrift

Bikes: PlanetX Gravel, Spa Ti Endurance, Cannondale Optimo Road, Bianchi Infinito CV, Condor 1997 Steel Road. N+1 applies.

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Sir - if that beauty is a 58cm/XL frame and you are worried that it will not be looked after properly once you are deceased, I'm prepared to selflessly propose my services to care for it. I wont even ask for funding.
I'm all heart, me!

;-)
Likes For BBB_Adrift:
Old 01-12-23, 04:08 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Since this is in your bailiwick maybe I can get a definition of what you mean by “modulation”. Everyone throws the term “superior modulation” around because they heard it or read it in some ad copy but can not define what they mean by it. What do you define “modulation” as? What should someone feel while riding the bike that would be described as “superior modulation”?

I’m not having a go at you but am really curious as to what this vaulted superiority should feel like since I really haven’t experienced it.
Modulation is a fancy word for brake feel. How accurately and consistently you can control your braking power.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 01-12-23, 05:13 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I have two bikes with disc brakes and one with rim brakes. I enjoy riding my rim brakes bike as much as my disc brakes bikes. I see nothing wromg with properly adjusted rim brakes. The only advantages of disc brakes is they prevent rim wear.
From my perspective, rim brakes ARE disk brakes, different caliper and disk, same mode of action.
True disk brakes are more protected than rim brakes, and they cool better so less fade, and that is the only reason they are better as brakes.
My u-brake, and the cam brakes of the past were incredibly powerful.
Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 01-12-23, 05:36 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
Oh I don't know. I'm probably quite a bit more qualified to adjust all types of brakes than you are
Since you just exposed your attitude, let me hit you back with one: you don't mknow who you are talking to so perhaps you should tone it down.
There are some old school hard cores here who know exactly what they are doing and have been for 50+ years.

There's no magic in adjusting mechanical brakes. They just have limitations and follow physics. .
There's no magic in adjusting ANY brakes. There is no alchemy involved either. it's just understanding what it does and how it does it.
Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 01-12-23, 07:08 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3498 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
Oh I don't know. I'm probably quite a bit more qualified to adjust all types of brakes than you are.
Exactly. You don't know. Probably qualified? That's rich. But I'm going with a big NOT on this one.

There's no magic in adjusting mechanical brakes. They just have limitations and follow physics. When trying to stop 400lbs going down a hill, a cable's gonna stretch. But I'll assume this'll all go over your head. There'll be another fallacy coming I'm sure.
I'm just glad I don't weigh 400 pounds. You should ride more.
Likes For smd4:
Old 01-12-23, 07:38 AM
elcruxio

Exactly. You don't know. Probably qualified? That's rich. But I'm going with a big NOT on this one.
That's not much to go by. But yes, definitely more qualified. How much experience do you have?

I'm just glad I don't weigh 400 pounds. You should ride more.
And just like that you crossed the line to offensive and inappropriate. Class act, but I don't think that at this point anyone here expected anything more.
You do a lot of assuming don't you?
But I don't actually weigh 400 pounds. But me, my touring bike, my gear (four panniers + two bags), trailer, one extra person and their gear was everything combined roughly 400 pounds.
Old 01-12-23, 07:41 AM
elcruxio

Originally Posted by Schweinhund
Since you just exposed your attitude, let me hit you back with one: you don't mknow who you are talking to so perhaps you should tone it down.
There are some old school hard cores here who know exactly what they are doing and have been for 50+ years.
Judging by this persons latest post I know pretty well who I'm talking to. And it's not pretty. Why do you hold said person in such high regard when they are so offensive?

There's no magic in adjusting ANY brakes. There is no alchemy involved either. it's just understanding what it does and how it does it.
In that we are at least in agreement.
Old 01-12-23, 09:52 AM
smd4

That's not much to go by. But yes, definitely more qualified. How much experience do you have?
Far more than you. I have ten years' experience as a professional mechanic. You?

Last edited by smd4; 01-12-23 at 10:14 AM.
Likes For smd4:
Old 01-12-23, 10:07 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I think there actually IS some extra skill and attention involved in setting up and keeping single-sided mech discs running optimally.

That’s why there are such varied opinions on their effectiveness.

Similar situation with canti brakes…. At least with the initial setup.

OTOH, most hydro disc, dual-sided mech disc, v-brake, and modern road rim calipers are pretty easy to get right.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 01-12-23, 10:38 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Far more than you. I have ten years' experience as a professional mechanic. You?
How is it that a 10-year professional mechanic has only experienced poorly adjusted disc brakes that "are basically an "ON/OFF" proposition"?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-12-23, 10:59 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
How is it that a 10-year professional mechanic has only experienced poorly adjusted disc brakes that "are basically an "ON/OFF" proposition"?
Good question! Maybe assembling bikes at Walmart makes one a “professional mechanic”?
Old 01-12-23, 11:22 AM
elcruxio

One thing I've learned in my professional life, it's that I don't go on internet forums flaunting my knowledge and stating things as absolute facts. Because if I were to be wrong in such setting as a professional, it'd be really embarrassing... Perhaps you should reflect on that.

The second thing I've learned is that you can have decades of experience and still be absolutely incomptetent. That nugget of wisdom just came to me out of the blue with no relation to this discussion whatsoever.......
Old 01-12-23, 11:37 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
I also do not ride an enduro or DH bike. It was meant to be an example of what the effect of better gear could be. But those bikes have downsides as we all know they climb like dog... like total cr.... they climb really badly.
Got news for you buckaroo, people were doing downhill and enduro long before the advent of hub mounted disc brakes…and dual suspension for that matter. And before the advent of front suspension as well.. They were scary fast. Brakes aren’t the limiting factor on downhill or enduro.

And yet the give or flex in the system is an inherent property of cable actuated brakes and even more so in rim brakes. It's there whether you experience it or not.
Yes, I know there is some flex in the cables but that’s not a bad thing in my opinion. One of the problems I had with hydraulics was the lack of that flex. The brakes were on or off with nothing in between. With cables, that flex results in some fine control…modulation if you like…of the raw power.

​​​​​​​We have good conditions for testing traction right now. It's raining on hard ice so the slipperiest conditions one can experience. So I did some testing. Trying to do maximal braking with the front brake only I got to a point where the front wheel was reacting like ABS so slipping, having traction, slipping and getting traction in rapid succession. With weaker brake that usually takes some concious effort. Not with this time however. Anything but on/off.

I have studs, but naturally the traction they give on wet ice is severely limited.
I have spent far too much time hitting the ground after braking on ice to do something as dumb as try to do “maximal braking” on ice. That’s not a place were I even touch the front brake because I know that I will end up on the ground…again! Slipping, traction, slipping is completely unnecessary on ice. For the most part “maximal braking” is mostly unnecessary except in panic situations and even those are very rare.

​​​​​​​
Again, it's not about excessive force. It's about more or less effort. Only cantilevers require excessive force. But the less effort needed, the more accurate you can be (disclaimer, to a point. That point hasn't been reached yet though).

if we did a test of how much force at the lever is required for a certain amount of newtons of stopping power, hydro discs would win hands down. Too bad such a test is a bit difficult to conduct with a reasonable budget.[/QUOTE]

Yet again, I don’t find any relatively modern brake system requiring anything I would label excessive force nor do I find them “inaccurate” how ever you want to use that rather ill-defined term. Do you mean that you can stop closer to a certain point? Or that you can more accurately control speed? Neither of which I’ve found to be a problem with mechanical disc or mechanical rim brakes nor something I’ve found to be better with hydraulics. I can stop my bikes where I need to and I can control my speed where I need to.

As for force required, care to provide a source for you claims?

​​​​​​​I see you stopped reading midway through the paragraph. How tiresome.
No, I didn’t stop reading. I’m having a go at you for making silly claims.

​​​​​​​Let me spell it out. The mechanical brakes require two fingers worth of force to get max power out of. The hydro brake requires maybe half of one finger.

FYI, braking from the drops doesn't mean panic braking.

But while we're at it, I have had trouble stopping the touring bike when towing a trailer. Larger discs would be nice but really I'd prefer hydro discs.
Now it’s my turn to claim you stopped reading. I don’t need…nor do most other cyclists need…maximal braking power in all situations. They don’t need maximal braking power in many situations. And, even in those situations where maximal braking is required, most any brake system is up to the task. You have even addressed the problem I have with your “half a finger” braking need when you said

​​​​​​​Before the GRX I couldn't really understand how people with road bikes were launching themselves over the bars, because for me (and my weight) that was quite inconceivable. But with the GRX I now understand. With great power comes great responsibility etc...
That says to me that your brakes are rather touchy and you have to “think” about using them. For those rare occasions where you do need to use brakes in panic stops, having to stop and think about how to apply the brakes increases reaction time which isn’t optimal.

The trailer problem isn’t due to the brakes…at least not entirely. The problem is due to adding an unbraked mass to they system that lifts the front wheel and pushes the bike in direction that are difficult to anticipate. Trailers would be slightly better if they had their own brakes.

​​​​​​​Man my hands and forearms have been shot after doing some long technical descents. But I also probably weigh a fair bit more than you do and as we know that has an effect. Our terrain is also exceedingly technical as we don't have trail management. It's not really allowed.
That’s a bet that you would lose. I’m solidly in the Clydesdale territory. When bikepacking (not road touring), I’m dragging (as opposed to pushing) over 140 kg with rider, bike, and gear. I hurtle down dirt road mountain passes from 12,000 feet (3600+ m) to 9500 feet (2900 m) over 5 miles or an average 9% grade. I use my brakes a lot on that kind of drop…in short bursts…but my arms weren’t particularly shot at the bottom. They are far more tired because of the jolting of the terrain than due to braking.

​​​​​​Some avids were nice, but they've had more issues than successes.
Again, the point is that they used the same language as is still used to describe hydraulics. It’s not something I experienced with the Avids nor with anything I’ve tested since. I don’t find hydraulics to be confidence inspiring…just the opposite…I have to think about braking and how to do it. Not something that I think about with mechanical disc or mechanical rim.

​​​​​​​The speed thing is of course far more relevant in mtb. Not as big of an effect on road especially in good conditions, mainly because on road one rarely needs to pulse brakes.
I regularly exceed 25mph on dirt downhills. On smoother dirt, I can exceed 35mph on a mountain bike…loaded or unloaded. My brakes are good enough in my mind to be up to the speed and aren’t the limiting factor in how fast I go.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-12-23, 11:41 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
While on my 20+ year old, v-brake equipped, singlespeed MTB, I had a young rider express his concern that my brakes might not be adequate for the trails in the area. I informed him that this bike, with these brakes, have been handling the same trails without a problem for a very long time. I'm not sure he believed me. I'll cut him some slack, however, since he was probably younger than my bike.
But nobody has ever experienced this kind of comment
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-12-23, 11:46 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Yes, I know there is some flex in the cables but that’s not a bad thing in my opinion. One of the problems I had with hydraulics was the lack of that flex. The brakes were on or off with nothing in between. With cables, that flex results in some fine control…modulation if you like…of the raw power.
If any part of your braking effort goes into flexing cables (or any other part of the bike), that's a detriment to fine control, not an enhancement.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-12-23, 12:08 PM
smd4

It's poor form to answer a question with a question. But not surprisng.

My dual-pivots are so good that I actually shudder to think what would happen if I actually replaced the stock Shimano pads with Kool Stops.
Likes For smd4:
Old 01-12-23, 12:10 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Im my experience, the biggest advantage of disc is the control of the power And I find Hydro better than mechanical in this regard.

I never realized how much of my attention was going into braking until I got a good set of hydros. Sort of like thinking it is silent until the hum that you were not aware of stops.

I still like good mechs, as I prefer the more frequent, predicable minor adjustments of mech to the less frequent, less predictable - and sometimes big - headaches of hydro. So I just run hydros on my FS MTB where every bit of control helps. For my fat bike and road/gravel bike… mechs are fine.

Last edited by Kapusta; 01-13-23 at 05:57 AM.
Old 01-12-23, 12:10 PM
smd4

One thing I've learned in my professional life, it's that I don't go on internet forums flaunting my knowledge and stating things as absolute facts.
I was asked how much experience I had.
Likes For smd4:
Old 01-12-23, 12:11 PM
tomato coupe

It's poor form to answer a question with a question. But not surprisng.
I wasn't answering a question.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.