Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Ride a bike, see stuff

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Ride a bike, see stuff

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-22, 04:12 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 509 Posts

One of four Bald Eagles we saw on our ride around the township today. All of them were less than 50 yards from the road.
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 11-10-22, 07:27 PM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,213 Times in 651 Posts
Recently took a nice long ride through rural Missouri on the Katy Trail. Made a couple stops at the local vineyards/wineries along the way and can report that Missouri wine ain't half bad.

Likes For Sedgemop:
Old 11-10-22, 10:25 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 1,809 Times in 820 Posts
The ride along Sonoran Desert Parkway two weeks ago (yeah, the bike's in the way of the scenery):

And the view from last week's ride up to TV Towers at South Mountain at twilight:

Tomorrow, I head up Yarnell Hill. I'll see if I can find anything scenic.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 11-16-22, 08:20 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
He's baaaaaaaaaaaaack

Riding with @Andy_K last Sunday, stopped at Barrel 47 in Carlton, OR for rehydration. I sat down, Andy pointed behind me, I turned, and saw this.

Old 11-17-22, 03:24 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Riding with @Andy_K last Sunday, stopped at Barrel 47 in Carlton, OR for rehydration. I sat down, Andy pointed behind me, I turned, and saw this.

Ha, I just grabbed this pic yesterday, from the craigslist freebies. Not sure if he's related to your first pic, but he sure looks like he might be. 🤔😁
Old 11-18-22, 08:33 AM
djkashuba 

Bikes: Motobecane Le Champion, Raleigh International, Bertin, Raleigh DL-1 1980, Colnago Super,Follis, Bianchi Competizione, Brompton M6L, Black Mountain Monstercros

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 151 Posts

Cantharellus californicus by djk762, on Flickr

Wool by djk762, on Flickr
Likes For djkashuba:
Old 11-18-22, 10:17 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,218 Posts
And some forget-me-nots'

Wool by djk762, on Flickr[/QUOTE]
Likes For curbtender:
Old 11-20-22, 08:08 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

A small percentage of the deer I see regularly, along the American River. Most of the time, I don't even have my phone out, much less turned on & ready to take pics. 🙄😉 Sometimes, they just aren't afraid of ya, and get into staring contests. 😁
Likes For stardognine:
Old 11-20-22, 09:00 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
A small percentage of the deer I see regularly, along the American River. Most of the time, I don't even have my phone out, much less turned on & ready to take pics. 🙄😉 Sometimes, they just aren't afraid of ya, and get into staring contests. 😁
Yep, some days it seems like the food chain has inverted and the deer are wondering what humans taste like.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 11-21-22, 02:24 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
Yep, some days it seems like the food chain has inverted and the deer are wondering what humans taste like.

Steve in Peoria
Yep, the biggest of these guys that I've seen, was about a 10 or 12-point buck, from around 20 yards away. Probably about twice the body mass of these does. His whole bearing just said, " Don't try it!", lol. 😁
Old 12-12-22, 09:05 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
Bob's BD ride by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr
Likes For northbend:
Old 12-14-22, 07:58 PM
M1T

Bikes: Several Italian bikes from the 50's - 83, 4 English Lightweights (1949-1970), Riding bikes-Trek 760, SOMA Triple Cross gravel bike, SOMA SAGA DC touring bike, Pivot Les Fat for winter riding and long distance bikepacking. One modern Carbon bike.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 32 Posts
Don't touch the Gorillas- HOT!

Cisco, Utah. One of those abandoned places near I-70. Cisco is appx. 12 miles off I-70 kind of on the way to Moab. But even then, there is a slight backtrack to get to Cisco. A woman runs a small store, the Buzzard's Belly, and camp ground which is really nothing more than some gravel pads. Certainly not something you'd want to pitch a tent on (I was on a bike solo bike tour across Utah). But she sells beer, and there are all kinds of cool things there like these life size Gorillas. SE Utah is a desert, so in the summer, these things could induce burns. I think they are for sale to if you're looking for yard art!

Last edited by M1T; 12-14-22 at 08:04 PM. Reason: wrong cut paste, punctuation
Old 12-14-22, 11:38 PM
Straightblock
Fast Old Guy

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 177 Posts
Along the MUT, a dirt sofa for the dirt jump spectators.

Likes For Straightblock:
Old 01-10-23, 08:49 AM
steelbikeguy

Winter is not trying very hard to reach central Illinois so far!
We had about a half inch of snow fall last week, but it wasn't much below freezing, so it seemed like a decent day to get on the trail for a ride. It certainly looked nice enough, with the snow sticking to the trees...

... but being barely below freezing, the snow would compact into ice. I was going very slow around any corner! I stayed upright, so I can't complain.
The warm snow was really packing up in the fenders and around the brakes, though. Another good reason to keep the speed down.
Once it warmed enough to start the snow melting on the trail, the moisture would get flung forward off of the front tire and freeze there. It eventually projected an inch forward of the fender, looking kinda weird and cool.

Despite the risks and the need to clean the bike up afterwards, it was good to get out on the bike and get some exercise and fun!
Plus, there was the stop at the bakery....

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 01-10-23, 11:15 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Once it warmed enough to start the snow melting on the trail, the moisture would get flung forward off of the front tire and freeze there. It eventually projected an inch forward of the fender, looking kinda weird and cool.

oh neat! what is that silver box? at the bottom of the photo?
Old 01-10-23, 01:45 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
oh neat! what is that silver box? at the bottom of the photo?
that's a home-built LED headlight. I think it is my 3rd generation of LED light... or maybe 4th?
It's pretty basic, and optically similar to a flashlight. i.e. no optimization to put the light out below the horizon.
The most unique feature might be the standlight, if only because it uses a 100 Farad supercapacitor for the standlight. It'll run for about 10 minutes at a much higher brightness than commercially built lights.
Having a standlight run for a long time can be inconvenient, so I included a switch to disable it. I mounted a magnet on a rotating plate on the right side of the light, and it controls a reed switch on the inside of the housing (the reed switch used to be a sensor for a bike computer). This is just a way to avoid exposing a mechanical switch to the weather.

a shot of the front of the light...

and a shot of the inside. You'll note the big green thing that takes up about half of the space... that's the 100F supercap, and explains why commercial lights normally use a little 1F supercap.

Steve in Peoria
(you should see the tail light!)
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 01-10-23, 01:51 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
that's a home-built LED headlight. I think it is my 3rd generation of LED light... or maybe 4th?
It's pretty basic, and optically similar to a flashlight. i.e. no optimization to put the light out below the horizon.
The most unique feature might be the standlight, if only because it uses a 100 Farad supercapacitor for the standlight. It'll run for about 10 minutes at a much higher brightness than commercially built lights.
Having a standlight run for a long time can be inconvenient, so I included a switch to disable it. I mounted a magnet on a rotating plate on the right side of the light, and it controls a reed switch on the inside of the housing (the reed switch used to be a sensor for a bike computer). This is just a way to avoid exposing a mechanical switch to the weather.
a shot of the front of the light...
and a shot of the inside. You'll note the big green thing that takes up about half of the space... that's the 100F supercap, and explains why commercial lights normally use a little 1F supercap.
Steve in Peoria
Your nickname isn't Heathkit, is it? Nice job!

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Old 01-10-23, 03:03 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by DQRider
Your nickname isn't Heathkit, is it? Nice job!
well, this is the natural result of a bike rider/commuter becoming an electronics engineer!
It's a somewhat homely little light, but a huge advance over my first attempt at a standlight design, back in the days of incandescent bulbs...

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 01-10-23, 04:30 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
well, this is the natural result of a bike rider/commuter becoming an electronics engineer!
It's a somewhat homely little light, but a huge advance over my first attempt at a standlight design, back in the days of incandescent bulbs...

Steve in Peoria
Same kind of geek here... Avionics in the `Corps for ten years, followed by Quality, R&D, and finally management in aerospace. Have soldering iron (and Simpson 260, and O-scope), will travel. It's nice to see there are still some analog solutions...

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Old 01-10-23, 04:55 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by DQRider
Same kind of geek here... Avionics in the `Corps for ten years, followed by Quality, R&D, and finally management in aerospace. Have soldering iron (and Simpson 260, and O-scope), will travel. It's nice to see there are still some analog solutions...
Have I mentioned my time as an avionics tech in the Marines before? 1977 to '81, working on A-4's and TA-4 Skyhawks in VMAT-102 in scenic Yuma.
Lots of experience with the Simpson 260, and the PSM4D (I think). Such a glamorous life!
I've got a shot of a buddy reviewing aircraft wiring drawings while troubleshooting. The Simpson is up on the aircraft ladder. Not sure why he has a tug out there.

After my EE degree, I spent a number of years at McDonnell Douglas doing avionics and space stuff. Fun work, but after defeating the Soviets, the work dried up and I had to change jobs to an industry where there was more than one customer! Earth-moving equipment was a distinct change, but got to do some microcontroller work for a while, then did some sensor design, and did my best to do interesting work. It was intriguing to watch electronics take over the machines, to the point where joysticks and displays dominated the cab... very much like what the F-18 was back in the 80's.

Steve in Peoria (still enjoying any excuse to get out a soldering iron or 'scope)
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 01-10-23, 07:48 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

yes! show us!
Old 01-10-23, 08:17 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
yes! show us!
okay, but I'll keep it brief...

the concept is fairly simple... instead of running a tail light in parallel with the headlight, it is instead wired in series with the headlight. i.e. an electron leaves the dynamo, goes through the headlight, then goes through the tail light, and then goes back to the dynamo.
Piece of cake.
There is generally an advantage to doing this, as it extracts a bit more power from the dynamo (except at very low speeds).

My tail light is just 10 red LEDs wired in parallel, and only handling half of the dynamo's current. The dynamo voltage is a sine wave, and the LEDs will carry the current of one half of the sine. There is a schottky diode wired in reverse parallel with the LEDs that passes the other half of the sine wave, but with almost no power lost.
The dynamo puts out 500mA of current, and each LED carries 50mA.

When current flows through the LEDs, the voltage across them is about 1.5v. I use this voltage to charge up a AA nicad battery. When the dynamo is stopped, I use a little circuit to boost the AA nicad's voltage enough to drive 4 more red LEDs. As with the headlight, there is a switch to disable the standlight function.
Very simple.

The circuit boards and AA nicad battery look like this, all by themselves...
The battery is under the board at the top. The LEDs are on the bottom side of the board at the bottom of the photo, and the voltage boost circuit is to the right.

I have to make housings for my lights, and this might be the most labor intensive part of the projects. A nice 3D printer might be a better method for getting a decent housing.
The board with the LEDs is under the voltage boost circuit board.

the assembled light, mounted on the Tubus rear rack. Very nice and tidy, and not going to get hit by any bike rack that I park the bike in.

My bike lights evolved over the years. The tail light started with just a little board with 10 red LEDs. I didn't have a standlight circuit, so I just mounted a battery powered Vista light next to it. When I did come up with the standlight design, I added that.
It was pretty horrible looking, but it worked.
Here, you can see my original horrible tail light cluster on the left, and the new light on the right. Finally, I could let my bike be seen in public and not get taunted by all of the cool kids.
A side benefit was that the LEDs had improved over the years and were considerably brighter! Maybe too bright??

Steve in Peoria
Old 01-11-23, 05:21 AM
rumrunn6

okay, but I'll keep it brief...
fascinating! thank you for sharing. love the ingenuity!
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 01-16-23, 09:50 AM
M1T

Bikes: Several Italian bikes from the 50's - 83, 4 English Lightweights (1949-1970), Riding bikes-Trek 760, SOMA Triple Cross gravel bike, SOMA SAGA DC touring bike, Pivot Les Fat for winter riding and long distance bikepacking. One modern Carbon bike.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 32 Posts
Angry "midget rattlesnake" (don't cancel me, thats what they're called) near Natural Bridges Monument in SE Utah during a bike packing trip. I came about an inch from running over the little guy, heard that distinct sound, and quickly stopped. This went on until I had to move on 5 minutes later... check out the shadow cast by its head. They are rarely seen in the wild.

Old 01-16-23, 02:10 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
Yikes Tony! A pissed off rattler is not something I'd want to encounter anywhere and yet, it's kinda cool too. Glad you got a picture of it.

Matt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.