Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

At the co-op

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

At the co-op

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-22, 11:13 AM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 329 Posts
To clarify, the proposed new forum would be for people who are involved in co-ops to talk about starting and running co-ops. I'm only mentioning it here so people can go to the Forum Suggestions post if they are interested in that sort of thing.

The proposed new forum is not intended as a venue to post about available bikes - I agree that a thread like this one belongs here and should be limited to C&V bikes.
Old 11-15-22, 11:50 AM
Dirt Road Blues 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 54 Posts
Sad that we no longer have a co-op here in Eugene.

C.A.T. (Center for Appropriate Transportation) was a fantastic place that met the needs of so many cyclists of every type. All the tools. All the parts. All the shared knowledge and experience. And a sliding scale price list for just about everything except membership and new retail items.

Folks could purchase their first bike, or aquire the items, direction, or skills they needed to keep a bike on the road. The people who truly benefited the most, I believe, were those who couldn't afford the conventional market.

Rummaging through donations, I'd almost always find what I was looking for, or else a worthy alternative. It could be a single chainring bolt or a campy wheelset. Didn't matter. Sometimes I'd happen upon a real surprise treasure at the bottom of a greasy bin or two as well.

C.A.T closed its doors at the onset of the peak of the pandemic only to never reopen. And since then, I believe that bike culture in Eugene has had to endure a certain struggle we hadn't previously known.

If I was able to turn that around for us, I'd love nothing more.
Likes For Dirt Road Blues:
Old 11-15-22, 07:44 PM
EVlove

Bikes: 1980 Dawes Super Galaxy + 1981 Lotus Classique + 1986 Bianchi Sport SX + 2005 Van Dessel Project WR + 2021 Zizzo Liberté

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 219 Posts
Today at the Bike Connector, Lowell MA

I dropped off a nice large aluminum basket at "my" co-op today that we must have picked up at a yard sale ages ago, I honestly don't remember, but it never did fit any of our bikes right. Anyway, gifting an empty basket is poor style, so I stuffed it with some shop towels, nitrile gloves, a 4-pack of 26" inner tubes, etc. from Walmart, and topped it off with a gift card from the bakery/sandwich place around the corner from the co-op. Went over really well

It was pretty quiet so I got to chat with the guy who runs the place, mostly about the glut of mostly steel, mostly C&V, mostly road bikes that they have a hard time moving:

This shows maybe half of what they have in the back, after less than two years (over 1,500 bikes distributed in that time). Lots of heavy old "ten speeds" of course, but I spotted a Dawes and a Mercier, both from the 70s I think, plenty of Raleighs, Peugeot, Motobecane, a good deal of quality Japanese names (Panasonic, Univega, Bridgestone, Miyata, Fuji), and there's a LeMond Croix en Fer with a busted headset in there, as well. My size, too, but just too modern for me. Also a lovely Scapin frame someone had stripped and rattle-canned for the co-op, I forget now what the ultimate plan was for that. I found it impossible to take better pictures, crammed as the bikes are in there.

We were bouncing ideas off each other what to do with them. At the moment they are just selling to a few local flippers, and hoping for guys like me to stumble in every once in a while I guess (my Lotus is from there). One idea was to convert a few nice ones to SS, paint and sticker them as their own "brand" and maybe get local chain bike stores to carry them. I could only offer vague encouragement on that plan as I honestly have no idea of the economics involved.

I don't get there very often, it's not really convenient to get to and I'm pretty much set for bikes and parts for the winter, but I could snoop around more if there is interest.

Lastly, this one is for sale, not cheap (don't want to break forum rules here, not my sale and I'm also not a full member). Not my size, anyway, but also very much not my pay grade.
Likes For EVlove:
Old 11-15-22, 08:17 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 329 Posts
Man, that's a lotta bikes!

We probably get ten bikes donated a week, and we couldn't handle much more than that. We have to keep processing them because we don't have the space to let them pile up. Steel bikes sell reasonably well if they're priced right.

The thing that bothers me is that we can't find good homes locally for the more unusual or collectible stuff. I can build up that Follis and sell it for $150, but I'll need to put at least $70 into it for tires, tubes, etc. Then it will get ridden as a beater and left in the back yard until it rusts away or is stolen.
Likes For albrt:
Old 12-20-22, 04:27 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Well, it looks like our co-op is on its way out. I stopped by today for a look around the exterior since the staff is not reliably there during posted hours. I don't need anything so don't need the temptation to look inside, but it looked like everything is now outside. Back when I started this thread it was to showcase the interesting bits at Rag and Bones, none of which matched some of the things you folks have posted, but there was some curious stuff. Now it appears they lost their lease and just shoved everything outside. Posting these as a likely farewell to the place. These are the ones I would bring home if I completely lost my mind. You'd understand if you could see the crammed garage and the house undergoing a major kitchen remodel that miraculously is affecting every single room in the structure.

Don't need a third Sports in the house but this one is from a local shop back when they were the "other guys" in town.

Here's a Sears (probably Puch) 3-speed. Don't need it either but it's mostly there.

Turista bones are always tempting. I've had several of these over the years but always pass them on to new homes. Someone stuck a wrong size QR front wheel on it and other stuff is missing.

Nice little Sturmeyed Breeze is missing only a seat and would serve someone well.

And they FINALLY have a decent frame in my size, a 531 Trek that I should grab on principle but which would not suit my current riding and would never be my future riding. Never. I'm past racy bikes and even past sporty ones.

So this might be my last bikes report from the place, but I did get some pix of parts to follow this post.

Last edited by thumpism; 01-17-23 at 11:59 PM.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 12-20-22, 04:53 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

My parts lust could still take a beating if I go back to the place.

Here's something I've never owned and could continue to live without but which I've considered buying for myself in the past, a Yakima four-bike swingaway receiver hitch rack. You just never know when you'll need one. That floor pump might come in handy, too.

Nifty American Classic cassette hub with 571mm Sun rim. Certainly oddball but cool.

And this Dynamic shaft-drive thing. It has a Nexus rear hub and shifter that I'd love to have if I could find the chain drive pieces to make it work on my own bikes. Also has a 700C fork.

Lots of bars, including a couple of wide, shallow dirt drops that might do well on the Cimarron or the Marin I don't ride.

Plenty of derailleurs, and brakes, and cranks, and a big box of cycling shoes of various types.

Anyway, I could probably find space for some of these things but it will be a test of my resolve to resist. Nice to know I'm still tempted.

Let me stress that I do not know the plans for the disposal of this stuff but I can probably find someone to ask.
Old 12-20-22, 05:27 PM
EVlove

Bikes: 1980 Dawes Super Galaxy + 1981 Lotus Classique + 1986 Bianchi Sport SX + 2005 Van Dessel Project WR + 2021 Zizzo Liberté

That does look terminal... Dislike

Haven't been back to my co-op but they just had their holiday kiddie bikes giveaway and it was a big success, with a large turnout of both clients and volunteers. Total of 1,436 bikes distributed this year. Later tonight our local ABC affiliate will be running a segment about them, I'll add a link once available.
Likes For EVlove:
Old 12-20-22, 06:23 PM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 258 Posts
Spotted these at my local collective a little while back:

Both were too small for me; otherwise they would both have come home with me.
Likes For Smokinapankake:
Old 12-20-22, 07:50 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
So sad about that co-op. Hope someone can save most of those.
Old 12-20-22, 10:05 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked 3,510 Times in 1,397 Posts
About a week ago I learned that Ernie, who ran the Second Chance Bike Shop here in the Aurora, CO area, sadly passed. I believe his daughter is still trying to sort things out and keep it going, however they took a big blow when they lost their lease, I think back in October. That is where I got my '73 Super Course from. I hadn't had a chance to go in a long while because they always closed before I got off work. There have been a few articles about them, about the closure, and about Ernie's passing. I don't know if they have found a permanent home, or what they did with their stash of bikes...I think a facebook posting mentioned they have a temp storage until Jan 15. A few years ago they probably easily had 100+ 70s, 80s, and 90s road bikes in the back under tarps. They may have been trying to sell them off via the local ads (I recall picking up a Multitrack 750 a couple years ago from a guy that was sort of like their shop manager, and I think he had some plans for all those bikes).

Seems like a lot of co-ops are struggling right now. I wonder if the e-bike movement is causing a lot of issues w/ an overflow of donations and not as many people buying...speculation and this point, but on my mind.
Old 12-20-22, 11:27 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,053 Times in 1,074 Posts
The Bike Farm in Portland seems to be going strong. They're only open two nights a week due to volunteer availability, but it was busy when i stopped by a couple weeks ago. I was looking for a frame upgrade for my fixed gear - something with fender lugs. This Super Course was my size, but didn't strike me. There was a red Le Tour I fancied, but no fork. I'll be back.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 12-20-22, 11:48 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,804 Times in 656 Posts
Message me next time your headed in to the Bike Farm

ill show you the secret stash
Old 12-21-22, 06:26 AM
EVlove

Lowell Bike Connector content begins at 2:20.

And that basket on the Ukrainian lady's bike at around 4:20 looks mighty familiar. I believe that's our donation

Even in these short snippets I think you get a real sense of Wade's personality. A real passion for bringing bikes to people in need and making an immediate difference in their lives.
Likes For EVlove:
Old 12-26-22, 11:36 AM
Iniezione 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism

Let me stress that I do not know the plans for the disposal of this stuff but I can probably find someone to ask.
I was there a few months ago and someone working there told me they were headed to a new location in December. I’m not local so I don’t go very often. Perhaps plans have changed, or the move is going to progress.
Old 12-26-22, 02:18 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
One of the posts above reminded me of the time a bike shop I worked for in New Haven in the early 1970s lost its lease.

What I learned then: anyone running a conventional bike business or a co-op in a leased location should read the lease agreement carefully. Turned out the lease for that bike shop included a buried clause stating that if the lessee intends to remain in the leased location, the lessee must notify the lessor to that effect at least 60 days before the end date of the lease.
Old 12-26-22, 06:34 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Originally Posted by Iniezione
I was there a few months ago and someone working there told me they were headed to a new location in December. I’m not local so I don’t go very often. Perhaps plans have changed, or the move is going to progress.
After my post I went to the co-op's website and learned that they are indeed moving to a space about a third of the way closer to my place, making future visits a little easier. I plan to go by the new location but have been busy. I was trying to find out how to buy some of that stuff they left outside but have not heard back yet. I'll keep you all posted.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 12-28-22, 04:47 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Couldn't resist after hearing back from the co-op lady who said to help myself. I need to make a contribution in appreciation of their generosity. Another guy was there today and he was picking up a few things for his bike. I got the Yakima rack and the Raleigh and, yes, the Trek frameset. Also the Nexus wheel and shifter/cable and a few odd pieces.

No space for this stuff, no time to mess with it and no need for any of it. Ah, still got the old touch.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 01-07-23, 07:40 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Forgot to mention finding these in the bins outside last visit. I did not bring these home; the Lambert caliper was a single...

...and the Huffy-branded panniers (never imagined these might exist--who knew?) had the straps and buckles cut up. I already have an early set of orange Kangaroo Baggs that sling over as these do and which are in slightly better shape, so the temptation to grab these was diminished.
Old 01-16-23, 09:04 AM
gil_00000

Bikes: 1977 Trek Tx700, 1978 Trek 510, 1969 Raleigh Competition, 1985 Univega Viva Sport, 1991 Bridgestone RB-1, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur, 1987 Bianchi Limited, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 2019 Surly Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
This one's been hanging in the back with my name on it, literally, for years now. We've been going over the back stock and it yesterday was the day! As a volunteer they politely asked me to jump if I was feeling froggy.

I believe it's a 1975 or '76 Campania 'The Ace.' I can't find anything on this particular model. Any information is very welcome! I'm pretty psyched for the first gen Dura Ace Black parts. It's not a complete group but I'm much closer. Black edition hubs, bottom bracket, crankset and downtube shifter. First gen, non-black Dura Ace brake levers. The derailleurs seem to be original, or at the very least they're both from the correct year range. The Suntour rear derailleur is from 1975 and the front Huret derailleur appears to be from 75 as well. I wasn't able to see a date code on the front derailleur.

1975/'76 Campania 'The Ace'

Likes For gil_00000:
Old 01-16-23, 10:07 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
Originally Posted by gil_00000
This one's been hanging in the back with my name on it, literally, for years now. We've been going over the back stock and it yesterday was the day! As a volunteer they politely asked me to jump if I was feeling froggy.

I believe it's a 1975 or '76 Campania 'The Ace.' I can't find anything on this particular model. Any information is very welcome! I'm pretty psyched for the first gen Dura Ace Black parts. It's not a complete group but I'm much closer. Black edition hubs, bottom bracket, crankset and downtube shifter. First gen, non-black Dura Ace brake levers. The derailleurs seem to be original, or at the very least they're both from the correct year range. The Suntour rear derailleur is from 1975 and the front Huret derailleur appears to be from 75 as well. I wasn't able to see a date code on the front derailleur.

1975/'76 Campania 'The Ace'

-----

made by Fuji

member noobinsf shall be able to fill you in

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 01-16-23, 11:13 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6201 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
A near original 1997 Schwinn Homegrown LXT came into my shop recently. White Industries crank (original), XT shifters and derailers, and both a Homegrown embroidered saddle (needs some work) and original Tomato stem cap. It’s on my project list to refurb and I’d love to find a home for it.

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 02-18-23, 10:27 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Originally Posted by cyccommute
A near original 1997 Schwinn Homegrown LXT came into my shop recently. White Industries crank (original), XT shifters and derailers, and both a Homegrown embroidered saddle (needs some work) and original Tomato stem cap. It’s on my project list to refurb and I’d love to find a home for it.

My first bike I purchased out on my own was a '98 Schwinn Homegrown XT, made by Anodizing Inc. Awesome bike, and took me on many adventures. Currently have a ('96?) Homegrown built up from a reject frame from the same manufacturer. Frame is in the raw, and found it in the scrap pile at a co-op years ago. Fixed it, and built it up...will a donor bike that had full (old) XTR. These are wonderful bikes, and at/near the top of the food chain back in the late 90s. I hope you find a buyer who will appreciate that bike for how good it is.
Old 02-18-23, 10:45 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

So I stopped by the local Denver co-op (Bikes Together) and had a nice talk with the person who runs things. The do have some really nice bikes, and are trying to free up some room. The 'refurbed' bikes have been moving slow, and are probably ready to make some good deals. Here are a few that caught my interest. They said they are really needing some good bike sales right now.

Hollands with a mish-mash of med-end components. I think this one was $449.

Not sure how rare/interesting the 'Sampson' brand is, but they had a good looking one -

The real gem of the day was this pristine Colnago. Not sure it was a Master, Super, or something else. Size is small - probably around 49/50cm. It has been there for 8 months. They said they used to have it up front, and got several interested people to ride it who were not expecting the aggressive race geometry. It is now hidden in the back. Priced at $699. If someone walked in and offered cash today, they might be able to get it lower.

They also had what looked like a really nice late 80s/early 90s Marnati (I think), probably around the $500 pricepoint.

Last edited by AdventureManCO; 02-18-23 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-18-23, 04:06 PM
velomateo

Bikes: '87 Serotta Colorado,'96 Moots VaMoots, Bertoni MAX, Eddy Merckx Grand Prix Team USA

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 146 Posts
^^^^
That Hollands is sweet.
Old 02-18-23, 04:09 PM
velomateo

Bikes: '87 Serotta Colorado,'96 Moots VaMoots, Bertoni MAX, Eddy Merckx Grand Prix Team USA

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 146 Posts
[QUOTE=gil_00000;22770542]

/QUOTE]
What headset is that? Van Nuys California is just down the road from me.
Likes For velomateo:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.