Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Rear brake superfluous ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Rear brake superfluous ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-23, 11:11 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
As a right handed ex-motorcycle racer it always seemed intuitive to have the front brake on the right lever. Setting up the bicycles the same way was a no brainer. I use and recommend right lever to the front brake to right handed anybody.
JMO of course. YMMV
If you've been using your right lever for the rear brake for as long as I have, switching to "moto" style can be a steep and painful learning curve! A lot of my friends have the front on the right, and whenever I take a spin on one of their bikes I'm always surprised at least once.
Old 01-18-23, 11:21 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4399 Post(s)
Liked 4,844 Times in 2,997 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
As a right handed ex-motorcycle racer it always seemed intuitive to have the front brake on the right lever. Setting up the bicycles the same way was a no brainer. I use and recommend right lever to the front brake to right handed anybody.
JMO of course. YMMV
That's the stock setup for bikes in the UK. I'm not sure why it's different in most other countries.
Old 01-18-23, 11:24 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
What this all really comes down to is that a cyclist should have sufficient knowledge and experience in how their front AND rear brakes work independently AND together in all situations. There are so many different situations that can occur while riding that could require different braking techniques…expected/planned/known, and unexpected. Sometimes modulating the brakes can be helpful, sometimes locking them up might be necessary. You need to know how the bike will react and handle in all situations.

Dan
Old 01-18-23, 11:42 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
What this all really comes down to is that a cyclist should have sufficient knowledge and experience in how their front AND rear brakes work independently AND together in all situations. There are so many different situations that can occur while riding that could require different braking techniques…expected/planned/known, and unexpected. Sometimes modulating the brakes can be helpful, sometimes locking them up might be necessary. You need to know how the bike will react and handle in all situations.

Dan
Don't bring common sense into this thread. You will kill it fast (if people notice).
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 01-18-23, 12:03 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,563 Times in 1,790 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Typical human reaction is to grab both brakes real hard in those situations...then you skid. Not unheard of or uncommon.
Grabbing too much rear brake in an emergency situation is common, unless you have practiced emergency braking technique.

If you practice, grabbing the right amount of rear brake becomes second nature.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 01-18-23, 12:03 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
I recently bled by MTB brakes, and swapped the pads from the front to back and vice-versa since the back were at about 30% remaining while the front was still at 80%. Riding the trails I only hit the front when I need to stop hard, but constantly scrub speed to maintain the flow of the trail. I ride a hardtail, not certain if a dual suspension would make a difference, but it means I stand a lot and move my weight back to let the front move, and give the rear the power they need. Even on steeper downhills, if I can see the line of travel I still only use the rear to scrub speed if I see it as necessary.
The road bike usually has the front worn out as I'm only grabbing the rear for hard stopping, I hardly ever scrub speed except on the bike path and otherwise just need to stop which the front does.
The gravel and cross bike tend to wear equally with the moves from dirt style riding to pavement.

Originally Posted by redshift1

I have seen many times the ease with which a rear tyre locks in a hard stop ( weight transfer ) and since there is minimal rear tyre traction as the rear wheel unloads ( increasing to none as the rear wheel completely unloads ), I don't see the point of rear brake use, under these circumstances.

To those who ( like me ) have done genuine emergency stops on a road bicycle, surely you are not saying you apply both brakes hard, and then in the midst of stopping hard, you progressively release the rear brake lever while increasing the front to allow for the changing weight transfer, all the while with no wheel lock-ups ???
But for emergency braking, I will be using front brake only and betting I outstop many "rear brake also" brakers .
Anyone who has ever ridden a bike through commuting, regular city or who just piles on the miles on the road has had a "genuine emergency stop," they're not that rare or special sadly enough. From my experience the moment I see it developing my weight moves straight back even as I'm grabbing handfuls of both brakes, if the rear starts to skid I either let go or use it to go sideways. Hurt like hell but I body slammed a car that pulled out in front of me by going with the skid, a skill learned as a kid seeing who could skid their BMX bikes the best, and it beat a head first crash into the car. But I've also let go of the rear just so I could regrab it.
Physics would alsosuggest you can't stop faster, assuming two people of the same weight, in the same position, on the exact same bikes, grabbing the front brake with the same amount of force, the person introducing the friction of the rear brake, either through controlled stop or skid, will be reducing their speed faster. It might not be a "significant" difference under most circumstances but any reduction in speed will reduce the force of the impact and the stopping distance in an emergency.

Originally Posted by Kontact
No, I was just wondering in what situation anyone would ever choose or want a skid. It never seems necessary or useful.
In my college days, when I was younger and dumber, I rode with a group and we would ride brakeless fixies, panic stopping meant popping up the rear wheel or hopping and landing into a skip. No weight on the wheel meant it could be stopped fast with just leg power.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 01-18-23, 12:43 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Brakeless fix gears and stopping distance (and ramblings). I used to hang out at the bike shop of the fix gear guru of Portland, recognized both by the hip street crowd and at the velodrome. (I'd been riding fixed for years and I learned a lot from him.) Anyway, he acquired some heavy, treaded tires that looked like good bulletproof all-winter tires. Bought a pair. (Ultimately decided they were just too much work to ride but they lived up to all the rest.)

I went back to the shop to report on my impressions of the tires. Owner told me right up front he'd stopped carrying them and sent the rest back. Too much grip. The hip crowd were hurting themselves trying to initiate skids! (Scratches head. What a concept. Bikes where the reduced traction of skidding is the only way to aggressively stop and too much traction is such an issue you return the tire.)

And another fun observation - the fun of blasting past brakeless young riders going down steep hills with an intersection at the bottom as a 60+ on my winter/rain/city fix gear with its excellent brakes. Less fun: reading about the brakeless fixie rider in (I recall) Toronto who tail-ended a left turning car, planted himself in the hatchback window and didn't make it.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 01-19-23, 01:00 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Up till approx 1960 all we had except for racing bikes was the rear coaster brake. Many of us survived!!!!
Old 01-19-23, 01:30 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,563 Times in 1,790 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Up till approx 1960 all we had except for racing bikes was the rear coaster brake. Many of us survived!!!!
Most kid's bike were coaster brake-only, both before and long after 1960 (see the Sting-Ray).

Many non-racing grownup bikes had hand brakes, long before 1960.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 01-19-23, 01:55 PM
79pmooney

We also did competitions to see who could stop the worst with full braking action. (Longest skid. Every town with a worthwhile hill had those skds proudly displayed at the bottom.)
Old 01-19-23, 02:50 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
The most important question raised by this thread is still "What common physics word was censored?" I vow to bump this thread every day until we have an answer to that question.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-19-23, 02:51 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
https://theradavist.com/the-coaster-...-were-a-freak/

Not for these people.
Old 01-19-23, 07:53 PM
redshift1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
The most important question raised by this thread is still "What common physics word was censored?" I vow to bump this thread every day until we have an answer to that question.
Sorry tomato coupe .

Post #1, Line 4, middle. ( I had to single space the letters. )
Old 01-19-23, 08:56 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
The word was ***********
Old 01-19-23, 11:11 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by redshift1
Sorry tomato coupe .

Post #1, Line 4, middle. ( I had to single space the letters. )
Wow, that's odd. There are so many legitimate uses of that word, but it gets censored.
Old 01-19-23, 11:37 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
What? There were spoon brakes (which I am not saying were good) back in the 1800s and you also had plenty of rod brakes pre-1960 as well as other brakes on bikes including various rim brakes (typically using cork pads on wooden rims and rubber on steel rims in early stuff) and drum brakes and other stuff. If you don't know about a topic it is OK to say I don't know let me check.

From 1920s: (40 years before the 1960s)

Also while technically late 60s and early 70s Shimano had Hydraulic brakes and also a disc brake which I think was mostly used on shopping bikes and kids bikes ironically and it used DOT fluid rather than the Mineral oil they are so known for these days.

I won't deny that coaster brakes were popular on some bikes and certainly Repack Rider and a whole group of other awesome folks made history with coaster brakes and a certain little hill in Marin County to the point we now have official mountain bikes. However saying they were the only brakes unless you were racing before 1960 is patently false and unneeded when the facts are out there and easily found. That picture from the 1920s took me all of the time it took to type early bicycle brakes and click a link.

Here is a few fun links about early bicycle brakes which not all of were for racing bikes or coaster brakes:
https://www.renehersecycles.com/the-...icycle-brakes/
History of bicycle brakes at Classic Cycle | Classic Cycle Bainbridge Island Kitsap County
https://onlinebicyclemuseum.co.uk/to...icycle-brakes/ (they have a ton of neat vintage bikes shown though probably most of them if not all are British bikes being a British website)