Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Performance Bikes line-up

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 01-19-23, 06:00 PM
6door74

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts

I picked up a Scattante bike a few months ago. There isn't much info out there on them and really no YouTube videos of people riding or talking about them.

I'm just looking for info on the R650 model that I have and how did it fall in their lineup. Prior to buying it, I was riding a Trek 1.2 Alpha series and the scattante was much lighter. I've since also acquired a Specialized Tarmac which will be my go to, but sometimes I'll pull out the scattante to switch things up.

I was just hoping to find an old catalog or advertisement about it talking about the features and their line - up in general. Does anyone have a link to something?

P.S. if anyone knows how to get rid of the labels, please let me know! Advertising my fork and seat stay as carbon is tacky and I like to usually debadge things anyway.

Thanks

Last edited by 6door74; 01-19-23 at 06:04 PM.
Likes For 6door74:
Old 01-19-23, 06:10 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
You won't find much info, it's a generic bike comparable to offerings from BD. Never much interest in reviewing them. Not to say there is anything wrong with it, probably will give you good service. Maybe think again about trying to disguise the brand. You won't fool folks who know bikes and folks who don't won't care. That's an attractive green, IMO.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-19-23, 06:27 PM
6door74

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
You won't find much info, it's a generic bike comparable to offerings from BD. Never much interest in reviewing them. Not to say there is anything wrong with it, probably will give you good service. Maybe think again about trying to disguise the brand. You won't fool folks who know bikes and folks who don't won't care. That's an attractive green, IMO.
Please tell me where i said anything about fooling someone or trying to disguise a brand? I said i like debadging things which I do to some of my vehicles as well. I could care less if people know or don't know what i'm riding. I just want it to look good to me.
Old 01-19-23, 06:31 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Agree with above. It's an in-house brand. Compare the componentry to figure about where it ranked amongst aluminum (with carbon stays and fork) bikes of off-brand names. Everybody I know who rode a Scattante was happy with it. If you are too, great!
Old 01-19-23, 06:37 PM
6door74

Originally Posted by urbanknight
Agree with above. It's an in-house brand. Compare the componentry to figure about where it ranked amongst aluminum (with carbon stays and fork) bikes of off-brand names. Everybody I know who rode a Scattante was happy with it. If you are too, great!
I'm happy with it and got it for what i would consider a great price. I want to change the aesthetics because that's what i do. Down the line I may swap some parts if i find the right deals.

I'm simply looking for catalog info because I like to see the ads, how it was marketed, priced, etc. There's plenty of old ads and catalogs that have been digitized and I was wondering if anyone knew of a link or site that might have it. I use yumpu for other old catalogs but i didn't find anything there.
Likes For 6door74:
Old 01-19-23, 06:44 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by 6door74
I'm happy with it and got it for what i would consider a great price. I want to change the aesthetics because that's what i do. Down the line I may swap some parts if i find the right deals.

I'm simply looking for catalog info because I like to see the ads, how it was marketed, priced, etc. There's plenty of old ads and catalogs that have been digitized and I was wondering if anyone knew of a link or site that might have it. I use yumpu for other old catalogs but i didn't find anything there.
Got it. The bike probably didn't have much of an internet presence since I don't believe the brand had a website of its own. But you're in the right place, as there may be a member on here who has an old Performance printed catalog with the bike on it... or something.
Old 01-19-23, 06:46 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 390 Posts
Heat can help with decal removal from the frame if that's your thing. Think hair dryer, not heat gun. Too hot and you'll wreck the paint.
...Might wanna research heat on the carbon bits. Probably nothing to worry about, but better safe than wrecked.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 01-19-23, 07:00 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
For de-badging,first try whatever method you used on your Tarmac.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-19-23, 07:10 PM
6door74

For de-badging,first try whatever method you used on your Tarmac.
The Tarmac is a darker color with red accents and yellow tires so i'm good with the aesthetics on that. It's carbon so I wouldn't want to risk damaging it and the lettering is dark grey and muted. I want my bright blue bike to be free of most if not all of the markings just like my bright purple single speed. I'm riding them for fun, not to impress anyone with a name brand.

I know why you said that but once again you have me and my motives confused. Feel free to no longer respond.

thanks

Last edited by 6door74; 01-19-23 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-19-23, 07:35 PM
6door74

Bet you are! One last tip- the color matched tires have been a joke for quite a few years. I know they came with the bikes but replace them with black or tan walls as soon as you can.
That was one of the things i liked most about it so i will be replacing them with blue tires when the time comes. Once again, in case you haven't gotten the point already, I "style" my bikes to my liking. Not to impress you, anyone, or to disguise my in house brand. The bike was a bright color (+1) , great price (+2), and a great weight (+3). I actually was buying it for my son and when i felt the weight compared to my Trek, I decided to keep it for myself. It looked good and felt good. Win Win

I think it's quite clear that either you're one of those snobby cyclists whose ego rests in their bike brand/model/cost, or someone whose ego has been bruised because of your bike brand/model/cost. Either way, that's not me, but it sure looks like it's you.

Last edited by 6door74; 01-19-23 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-19-23, 07:38 PM
6door74

Originally Posted by curbtender
They used Fuji so maybe search those models for a similar setup.
Nah, it's not really that serious. Like I said, it was a curiosity thing. I found an old add for a 90's Schwinn 564 that i picked up so i was just looking for something on this bike too. I've managed to find things for old cars and motorcycles that I have as well.
Old 01-19-23, 07:59 PM
6door74

Projecting quite a bit there, friend. Which one of us is "de-badging" one particular bike? Point made, bye bye.
Yes, debadging the one with excess bright white labels. That way the bright blue paint with the glitter will be more visible because i like that. I also took the stickers off the wheels just like i did on this purple single speed. Not because I want to fool anyone, but because I like that cleaner look. Especially with the bright paint. Notice the minimal markings on the purple bike. Just how i like it.

Your point isn't made and I'm certainly not projecting anything. You just continue to look foolish assuming you know my intentions.

Last edited by 6door74; 01-19-23 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-19-23, 08:09 PM
6door74

What do we have here? Another bike with no markings, just nice paint. What do you know, maybe that's actually what i like? Imagine that?

Last edited by 6door74; 01-19-23 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-20-23, 07:39 AM
6door74

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
Heat can help with decal removal from the frame if that's your thing. Think hair dryer, not heat gun. Too hot and you'll wreck the paint.
...Might wanna research heat on the carbon bits. Probably nothing to worry about, but better safe than wrecked.
Pardon me for missing this. As you can see, I did reply to the other responses. Not just the troll one. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-20-23, 08:49 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3487 Post(s)
Liked 2,905 Times in 1,765 Posts
Send me your discarded "badging." The more lettering the better for me!
Old 01-20-23, 09:03 AM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 298 Posts
To each their own, but I think it looks pretty good as is. Actually, I would prefer a bit more color if it were mine, but again, to each their own. Can't help with your quest as I'm still quite a novice myself, but I can empathize with your search. Last year I picked up a K2 for what I considered to be a great price. I picked it up mainly because it has 105 groupset and I guarantee the groupset alone would have cost me more than I paid for the bike. Not a lot of interest in the K2 brand but it has become one of my favorites, and oddly enough, I can't even really explain why.
Old 01-20-23, 09:17 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by 6door74
Nah, it's not really that serious. Like I said, it was a curiosity thing. I found an old add for a 90's Schwinn 564 that i picked up so i was just looking for something on this bike too. I've managed to find things for old cars and motorcycles that I have as well.
Kinda like how "Gravity" is for Bikes Direct, Scattante was the "house brand" for Performance, after the merger, when they stopped using the Performance and Nashbar branding. It didn't really exist as a brand on its own, and after the paper catalog era, so you're not really going to find any memorabilia unless you stumble across the unexplored ruins of a brick and mortar Performance location.

They're not really re-badged TREK's or anything; AFAIK, they were built by one of the bigger "2nd tier" Tiawanese manufacturing outfits; the marketing aim (like Bikes Direct now) was "90% of the bike for 80% of the price" for a similar spec bike from Trek or Specialized. Nothing leading -edge, but good value buys if you could do without the big-brand logos.
The shifters and DRs are the best indicator of where a bike sat in the lineup and what models it was positioned against.
Old 01-20-23, 09:31 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Debadging is kind of a prickly topic: in one hand, you have grumpy anti-establishment "indiviualists" for whom even a headbadge is an unacceptable level of free advertising for Big Bike, that they just can't stand for. They make a point of telling you they only buy things with visible branding or logos under extreme protest
There are, like OP, I presume, the asthetics, who prefer the lines of their noble steeds unspoiled by graphics, or minimal accents at best. Often extensive color -matching or theming is present in component selection and accessories.

Finally there are those who would debadge a bike to hide it's origins. Some are aspirational; a new cyclist not wanting to call attention to his inexpensive department -store brand bike; but
there's also the more nefarious (and possibly the ones we see or remember most often) is someone selling what is obviously a Wal-Mart bike dressed to look like a higher end brand in an attempt to sell it for far more than it's worth. Like slapping Cannondale stickers on a $150 Kent Denali, and trying to sell it for $300
Old 01-20-23, 09:50 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
but
there's also the more nefarious (and possibly the ones we see or remember most often) is someone selling what is obviously a Wal-Mart bike dressed to look like a higher end brand in an attempt to sell it for far more than it's worth. Like slapping Cannondale stickers on a $150 Kent Denali, and trying to sell it for $300
This happens a lot in the C & V world.
Old 01-20-23, 09:51 AM
6door74

Originally Posted by smd4
Send me your discarded "badging." The more lettering the better for me!
The way my patience is set up would likely mean it will be unusable and in a million pieces LOL
Old 01-20-23, 09:53 AM
6door74

Originally Posted by VegasJen
To each their own, but I think it looks pretty good as is. Actually, I would prefer a bit more color if it were mine, but again, to each their own. Can't help with your quest as I'm still quite a novice myself, but I can empathize with your search. Last year I picked up a K2 for what I considered to be a great price. I picked it up mainly because it has 105 groupset and I guarantee the groupset alone would have cost me more than I paid for the bike. Not a lot of interest in the K2 brand but it has become one of my favorites, and oddly enough, I can't even really explain why.
Yeah, this one has mix of Ultegra and 105 components. That plus the light weight made me decide to keep it for myself and give my son the trek since he was only riding with me every now and then. I had picked up and old Schwinn at first but he wasn't comfortable with the downtube shifters.
Old 01-20-23, 09:55 AM
6door74

Kinda like how "Gravity" is for Bikes Direct, Scattante was the "house brand" for Performance, after the merger, when they stopped using the Performance and Nashbar branding. It didn't really exist as a brand on its own, and after the paper catalog era, so you're not really going to find any memorabilia unless you stumble across the unexplored ruins of a brick and mortar Performance location.

They're not really re-badged TREK's or anything; AFAIK, they were built by one of the bigger "2nd tier" Tiawanese manufacturing outfits; the marketing aim (like Bikes Direct now) was "90% of the bike for 80% of the price" for a similar spec bike from Trek or Specialized. Nothing leading -edge, but good value buys if you could do without the big-brand logos.
The shifters and DRs are the best indicator of where a bike sat in the lineup and what models it was positioned against.
I was hoping to find a digitized catalog in the archives of the internet like I've seen with other things. It has Ultegra shifters and rear derailleur with a 105 Front derailleur.
Old 01-20-23, 09:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Debadging is kind of a prickly topic: in one hand, you have grumpy anti-establishment "indiviualists" for whom even a headbadge is an unacceptable level of free advertising for Big Bike, that they just can't stand for. They make a point of telling you they only buy things with visible branding or logos under extreme protest
There are, like OP, I presume, the asthetics, who prefer the lines of their noble steeds unspoiled by graphics, or minimal accents at best. Often extensive color -matching or theming is present in component selection and accessories.

Finally there are those who would debadge a bike to hide it's origins. Some are aspirational; a new cyclist not wanting to call attention to his inexpensive department -store brand bike; but

People who have to lock their bike up outside will sometimes do things to disguise that it's a valuable bike to avoid being targeted by the slightly picky thieves.
Old 01-20-23, 09:59 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I like colored tires. I also don't give a flaming burst of intestinal gas for what others like, most of the time.

I like frames with no decals. if people ask, I tell them what I am riding ....

One issue with decals is that often manufacturers will clear-coat over them. if not, try that hairdryer trick .... or test various solvents on the paint under thew bottom bracket, where touch-ups won't matter. Maybe alcohol or vinegar or mineral spirits? But test on the paint first, I'd say.

This is an old shot of my blue-tired, badgeless, decal-free Raleigh.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 01-20-23, 10:06 AM
6door74

You're right about the aesthetics for me. Even the color matching LOL. I'll be ordering a yellow wu-tang stem for the purple bike. Why not. It's a fun bike meant for fun, not Strava segments. The free advertising isn't an issue either. Some things just look better "clean".

I didn't even give any thought to people doing nefarious things like you mentioned. Nor is it a matter of shame. As the first respondent said, albeit sarcastically, those who know would know it wasn't something high end. Just like anything else out there, people who know the details and identifiers can spot something that isn't what someone may try to pass it off as. That wasn't and would never be my intention for anything.

​​
Likes For 6door74:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.