Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Has anyone found a lever-type shifter that works with Nexus 8?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-16, 01:59 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts

I've been told that there are a lot of Internal Geared Hub riders on this forum, and that I may find the answer to my dilemma over here.

Having just finished my Eurasian-Nexus Path Racer project, first rides have revealed that the indexed, 8-speed, Sunrace shift lever I am using does not have the correct pull for the Nexus 8 hub. After researching this a bit, it looks like this has been an ongoing complaint from people who try to convert derailleur-equipped bikes to IGH.

Here is the bike in question:

[IMG][/IMG]

... and as you can see, it wouldn't wear a Twist-Shift or Rapid Fire gracefully at all. I've mounted my lever on the stem, and it looks right on there. I have seen where Rivendell have utilized an indexed lever with 13 detents; it goes 1-click for each of the first 3 gears, and then 2-clicks for each gear higher than that. It's a possibility, certainly, but I can't believe nobody has come up with a better solution.

I found something called a "Microshift CNC thumb shifter for Alfine/Nexus Inter-8" on the Bikeman website, but there isn't any photo, so I don't know what I would be buying. Has anyone here used this device? Does anyone have a better idea?
Old 02-21-16, 02:03 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
The only one I have direct experience with is the Jtek bar end shifter.
Jtek Bar end Shifter for Internal Hubs | Jtek Engineering
I am aware of the Microshift option, although have not seen one. probably has more mounting options than the Jtek.
Old 02-21-16, 02:45 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
The only one I have direct experience with is the Jtek bar end shifter.
Jtek Bar end Shifter for Internal Hubs | Jtek Engineering
I am aware of the Microshift option, although have not seen one. probably has more mounting options than the Jtek.
Thanks, Dan!

Okay, is this what you are talking about?

The cable routing would be problematic, for a start. But then I looked further into the site, and found this:

That would allow me to mount it right where I have the current lever. I like that!

I'm not thrilled that these are black anodized instead of silver, but there are ways...

Their dealer list is pretty sparse, here in the `states, though. Where is the best place to get them from?

Oh, and how much do these engineering wonders cost?
Old 02-21-16, 03:21 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Originally Posted by DQRider
Thanks, Dan!

Okay, is this what you are talking about?

The cable routing would be problematic, for a start. But then I looked further into the site, and found this:

That would allow me to mount it right where I have the current lever. I like that!

I'm not thrilled that these are black anodized instead of silver, but there are ways...

Their dealer list is pretty sparse, here in the `states, though. Where is the best place to get them from?

Oh, and how much do these engineering wonders cost?
I think SJS cycles in Britain is probably the best source for those. I've bought other stuff from them, and shipping is fast and reasonable.
Old 02-22-16, 05:38 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
Beautiful bike. First class all around!

microShift makes some nice products and I've seen their thumb shifters for 9-11 speed set ups so I was hopeful for you that this style might work. But alas when I narrowed the search on ebay to "microShift thumb Nexus" the result was less than appealing. Too modern MTB style and not vintage MTB as I had hoped.

This is what I found, albeit in the 7 speed version and we can assume the 8 speed is the same.

Was hoping they looked more like this.

Have you tried shifting in friction mode?

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 02-22-16, 05:56 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Looking at the Sheldon Brown Page,
Sheldon Brown's Internal Gear Hub Cable Pull Crib Sheet

The cable pull or each gear is different.

The Sturmey Archer 8 is somewhat close to the Shimano 8, so the shifter would be worth a try.

Sturmey Archer | SLS80

Of course, you could also go with a Sturmey Archer wheel.
Old 02-22-16, 06:05 AM
Dan Burkhart 

microSHIFT -The best control system
Old 02-22-16, 06:11 AM
steve t.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DQ- Nice looking rig you've got there!

If I may ask, what type/brand of stem shifter mount are you using there? From where did you buy it?

I am patiently awaiting the (eventual) restocking of the IRD stem shifter mount for my VO Polyvalent build. It will be used with a 10-speed Ultegra system. IRD says by the end of this moth, or so, but it would be nice to have a backup source.

And it looks like you're also a MC rider. All good things only need 2 wheels. Yamaha and Moto Guzzi for me. But I digress...

Thanks from a fellow Minnesotan.

Steve.
Old 02-22-16, 06:46 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Looking at the Sheldon Brown Page,
Sheldon Brown's Internal Gear Hub Cable Pull Crib Sheet

The cable pull or each gear is different.

The Sturmey Archer 8 is somewhat close to the Shimano 8, so the shifter would be worth a try.

Sturmey Archer | SLS80

Of course, you could also go with a Sturmey Archer wheel.
Interesting. The SA 8 speed cable pull increments look to be within the margin of error compared to the Shimano. I have measured the SA 8 speed on my own measuring tool, but have not done my own measurement on a Shimano. I should do that to compare my results.
Old 02-22-16, 08:44 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Beautiful bike. First class all around!

microShift makes some nice products and I've seen their thumb shifters for 9-11 speed set ups so I was hopeful for you that this style might work. But alas when I narrowed the search on ebay to "microShift thumb Nexus" the result was less than appealing. Too modern MTB style and not vintage MTB as I had hoped.

This is what I found, albeit in the 7 speed version and we can assume the 8 speed is the same.
You're wrong. They don't make the thumb shifter for the 8 speed. Ask me how I know. I hate grip shifters....
Old 02-22-16, 09:19 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

...And the Winner is: Microshift SL-N08

Originally Posted by steve t.
DQ- Nice looking rig you've got there!

If I may ask, what type/brand of stem shifter mount are you using there? From where did you buy it?

I am patiently awaiting the (eventual) restocking of the IRD stem shifter mount for my VO Polyvalent build. It will be used with a 10-speed Ultegra system. IRD says by the end of this moth, or so, but it would be nice to have a backup source.

And it looks like you're also a MC rider. All good things only need 2 wheels. Yamaha and Moto Guzzi for me. But I digress...

Thanks from a fellow Minnesotan.

Steve.

First, thanks to everyone who has answered my request for help. My own searches came up with similar results, but I have exactly zero experience with any of them. I am going to visit Mr. Burkhart's site later today, after work - that looks interesting.

Steve, to answer your question, I am using the "Sunrace M96 Thumb Shifter Rear Indexed-8 spd" which says "SA" on the mounting ring. This is a standard MTB handlebar mount that just happens to fit the O.D. of the Nitto Stem I'm using. Since the Microshift SL-N08 is made specifically for the Nexus Inter-8, and has the same kind of mounting bracket, I ordered that from Bikeman, once I saw the image on the Microshift site: microSHIFT -The best control system

Of course, this was before Corrado33 posted that they don't make it. I guess I'll find out soon...

P.S. Oh, and Steve? You might say I was into motorbikes, just a bit. My columns "Diary of a Cafe Racer" and later "Backroads Diary" ran in Minnesota Motorcycle Monthly from 1997 to 2005, after which I started my blogs "The Baron in Winter" and "Rush Hour Rambling". This all started with the experience of roadracing my Ducati 900SS, but you're right, I digress too...
Old 02-22-16, 09:42 AM
steve t.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DQ, MN MC Monthly? Small world! I'll have to go back and search your columns. I've had submissions published by them a few times. My greatest work, telling the story of re-opening the I-35W bridge in Mpls in the Oct 2008 issue, "Motorcycles and Civil Disobedience". Just did a book review for them this past fall. Anyway, good luck with your project.

Steve.
Old 02-22-16, 09:54 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
In the "products wanted" column: a modern version of the old Sturmey-Archer top tube mounted 3-speed "quadrant" shift, in updated versions for the various 3-to-14-speed IGHs out there.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 02-22-16, 10:46 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Originally Posted by John E
In the "products wanted" column: a modern version of the old Sturmey-Archer top tube mounted 3-speed "quadrant" shift, in updated versions for the various 3-to-14-speed IGHs out there.
Ohhh, YES, PLEASE! Those always reminded me of the engine room telegraph on an old steamship.

=
Old 03-14-16, 08:16 AM
elbowging

Bikes: 1960 Raleigh Sports, 1973 Schwinn Deluxe Twinn, 2007 Bianchi Volpe, 1973 Raleigh Sports

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Hello all,

After doing research of my own on this very question, I stumbled across this thread and I'm now curious about whether DQRider found the MicroShift SL-N08 to be a suitable option for his Nexus 8. Any updates to offer? I've just put a nexus 8 on a vintage tandem and can't find a shifter option that is both aesthetically pleasing and will actually fit comfortably on the bars without interfering with the brake. From the pics on the manufacturer page, this looks like what I've been looking for.
Old 03-14-16, 08:37 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Originally Posted by elbowging
Hello all,

After doing research of my own on this very question, I stumbled across this thread and I'm now curious about whether DQRider found the MicroShift SL-N08 to be a suitable option for his Nexus 8. Any updates to offer? I've just put a nexus 8 on a vintage tandem and can't find a shifter option that is both aesthetically pleasing and will actually fit comfortably on the bars without interfering with the brake. From the pics on the manufacturer page, this looks like what I've been looking for.
Ah, thanks for the nudge, elbowging.

Yes, the Microshift SL-N08 works perfectly on my... I'm not going to call it a "path racer" anymore. It's too fancy for that now. It's more of a French Cafe Racer of the bicycle persuasion.

The only caveat is that I had to use some inline barrel adjusters (from Jagwire) up near the mounting point, so I can keep the shifter accurately dialed-in. You can see those in the downtube section of the cable housing in the photo, below:

The bike rides beautifully now, and I love having all 8 gears answering the helm.
Old 03-14-16, 08:37 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Of course, this was before Corrado33 posted that they don't make it. I guess I'll find out soon...
Did the shifter you ordered work? When I said they don't make it, I was talking about the "new" MTB thumb shifter style. They make that in 7 speed, but not 8 speed. (Unfortunately.)

EDIT: Posted at the same time as you.

Glad it worked! I'd love to use it, but my nexus is on my winter bike. I'd hate to have to remove my hand from my pogie every time I wanted to shift. Although my bike does have braze on downtube shifter mounts, so that shifter would work... easily...

If you don't mind me asking, I see that you ran just the cable under the BB instead of a full housing. What did you do for a housing stop on the drive side chainstay? (Since the nexus has a housing stop on it's body, you need a housing to feed into it, so you'd have to change the bare cable after the BB to a cable that's housed, that'll feed to the nexus... right?) Do you have any close up pictures of the drive side chainstay?

Last edited by corrado33; 03-14-16 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-14-16, 09:04 AM
elbowging

Bikes: 1960 Raleigh Sports, 1973 Schwinn Deluxe Twinn, 2007 Bianchi Volpe, 1973 Raleigh Sports

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you for the update - your bike looks really great with that setup. Also, thanks for the tip about the barrel adjuster. Are you finding yourself needing to adjust it often to keep the shifter in line? I'm fairly new to bike maintenance/upgrades in general and have not used inline adjusters before so I'm trying to decide if the extra faff is worth it (I suspect yes).
Old 03-14-16, 09:45 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Originally Posted by elbowging
Thank you for the update - your bike looks really great with that setup. Also, thanks for the tip about the barrel adjuster. Are you finding yourself needing to adjust it often to keep the shifter in line? I'm fairly new to bike maintenance/upgrades in general and have not used inline adjusters before so I'm trying to decide if the extra faff is worth it (I suspect yes).
Okay, a couple things: First, thanks! I really wish they had a metal/chrome version of this, but maybe that's a project for next winter (maybe I'll do a brass lever!). Next, I could/should have pre-stressed the shifter cable, to take most of the stretch out of it; but I didn't. Still, adjustment can be done at a stop-sign: simply shift into 4th, look down at the indicator window in the hub, and turn the barrel adjuster until the two yellow marks line up. That's it. Now that I've ridden many miles with this setup, it is well-sorted.
Old 03-14-16, 10:13 AM
elbowging

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Awesome, thanks. I also wish for a chrome version.. oh well. I assumed the shifter itself had a barrel adjuster which is why I was initially confused as to the need for the inline adjusters. Makes sense.
Honestly, it's been tricky finding any sort of info, images, reviews, etc for the SL-N08. The only US supplier I can find is Bikeman, and when I called them they informed me it's on backorder until April 1 (or somewhere thereabouts) but nevertheless I'm probably going to just order one when it's available and see how I like it! I suppose another option would be bar end shifters + Paul Thumbies but it looks like the more expensive option.
Old 05-16-16, 10:08 AM
elbowging

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Just a brief update in case anyone doing a similar conversion in the future finds my info useful... I bought the Microshift SL-N08 and installed it on a Schwinn Twinn tandem, and it works well so far with the Nexus 8 hub. This setup has allowed us to retain the original schwinn grips and brake levers, which was not really possible with the RevoShift or Alfine shifter since both were too large and cumbersome, and there was not enough room on the bars. I wish the SL-N08 came in chrome but it is nevertheless pleasingly unobtrusive. Took it for a couple test rides and all seems to work well; we'll see how it holds up over time!
Old 07-08-16, 12:40 AM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Hi all,

I have an alfine 8 on my bike and the trigger shifter. My shifter is no longer displaying gears and I found this thread.

Do you think I (read my LBS) could do something similar for my bike? (Soma Buena vista mixte + upright bars)

Last edited by jade408; 07-08-16 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-08-16, 06:38 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Originally Posted by jade408
Hi all,

I have an alfine 8 on my bike and the trigger shifter. My shifter is no longer displaying gears and I this thread.

Do you think I (read my LBS) could do something similar for my bike? (Soma Buena vista mixte + upright bars)
I'm sure you could, but I don't know whether the SL-N08 will work with Alfine. The 'N' in the nomenclature stands for Nexus, I think.

Does anyone know if the Nexus and Alfine cable pulls are the same?
Old 07-08-16, 11:59 AM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
I'm sure you could, but I don't know whether the SL-N08 will work with Alfine. The 'N' in the nomenclature stands for Nexus, I think.

Does anyone know if the Nexus and Alfine cable pulls are the same?
I am pretty sure I have seen somewhere that that nexus 8/afline 8 can use the same shifter. So it seems like a reasonable bet, so I should try it! It is way cheaper than the jtek bar end anyway! I'll post here if I get it done!
Old 08-04-16, 12:32 PM
SingleSpeeDemon
Team Sohoku

Bikes: BMC, Cannondale, '87 Nishiki Modulus, 3Rensho Keirin

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful bike. I realize this isn't exactly what you're looking for based upon your bike's aesthetic, but Gevenalle has a brake lver/shifter combo for Shimano IGH.

UX ? Compatible with Shimano Internally Geared Hubs | Gevenalle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.