Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Weight training is ruining everything else

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 05-13-21, 10:02 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 3,008 Posts

Not knocking weights training but for me I’m going to have to stop. I can’t recovery like I could when I was younger just a reality I have to except. I get too beat up on the weights and makes all other active activity miserable. My shoulders can’t press anymore after a session I’m just in pain for days. Squatting and deadlifting takes forever to recover ruining my passion for cycling. I love fishing and launching and loading my boat and throwing a bass rod all day is miserable after I beat myself up with weights . I have physical work to do to keep my place maintained and I end up loafing around because I’m trying to recover from weights. Now with my bikes I have no recovery issues at all. I can ride 30 miles then mow the grass and weed eat then chainsaw work with no issues of recovering. Then ride 30 miles the next day feeling good. I know endurance sports target the slow twitch muscles that recover quickly. I enjoy bike riding for the endorphins and the adventure of trying out new areas. Weights is a 1 hour torture session that leaves me debilitated for days lol. Probably going to sell off my weight collection from over the years to some kid training for football or a much younger athletic type so I can have more space for my home bike shop. Ok rant almost over and venting is making me feel better. I believe weight training is great and encourage anybody to train but for me personally it doesn’t do anything for me due to physical limitations. I will spare the details on that Going to focus on bike riding and hiking and I will get enough resistance training by physical work.

Last edited by Hondo Gravel; 05-13-21 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Everything Else
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 05-13-21, 10:25 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts
Have you thought about doing lighter weight but more reps? Seems like a good thing for older lifters.
Old 05-13-21, 11:33 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

I tried all weight rep schemes I’m just shot. I hate stopping but there only so much fuel in this burro. The mileage over the years has taken its toll but I’m staying active on the bikes that isn’t going to stop anytime soon.
Old 05-13-21, 11:44 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,594 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
...there only so much fuel in this burro.
Ha Ha... I gottcha bro...

I got to the point years ago that when I went to the weight pile I was just going through the motions. But, the motions helped, not so much the weight. Its a matter of realigning your brain to body ratio and becoming smarter not so much stronger now.

The bicycle is the only activity that has continued to allow me to get that heart rate up and breathing hard without damage or prolonged recovery time.

Even though compared to the way I used to ride, I am mostly just going through the motions...
Old 05-13-21, 04:28 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bike riding I can still workout with an intensive effort day in and day out without burning out. Best way for me to go at this stage of the game.

Last edited by Hondo Gravel; 05-13-21 at 04:28 PM. Reason: age and high mileage
Old 05-13-21, 05:32 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts
I loved lifting when I was young and did it again for a few years in my 30s and 40s. Now I'm 67 and thinking I might like to do some light stuff since I retired and don't work on cars anymore. It's getting to the point where I might have to ask my girlfriend to open jars for me.

Still ride the bike 13-15 hours per week. If I hadn't given my weights and bench away last time I moved I could get started easily on the lifting.
Old 05-13-21, 07:37 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
just ride Hondo. Yard work is sufficient for upper body
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 05-13-21, 07:56 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Historically, we do strength building twice a week ending in December. In January, we reduce the number of exercises to ~7, reduce reps and increase weights. Starting in April, we only lift 1 day a week, cut reps down to 5 of maybe 5 lifts, and just try to maintain strength - 30'. We can keep that up right through the season, then start all over again in August with less weight, more exercises, more reps.

That came to an end when Covid closed all the gyms and we didn't have any weights of our own. We tried working with just dumbbells but that was unsatisfactory. We've now started back at the only gym left in town, doing sets of 30 with light weights for form and endurance. Still it is tiring, but we usually ride the next day and do OK, though we make sure to rest for 2 days before doing a Real Ride. Our cycling season ends after July, so we'll start back with real weight in August - we hope, and we'll see. We'll be 148 then. The muscle atrophy in this past year has been noticeable. We're weaker, slower, and tire more easily. That said, I put a power meter in my single in July of '19 and set a 1 minute power PR yesterday. So I think we'll get some of it back. Hope springs eternal. Or maybe not. On our shop wall, it is written, "Hope is the fatal flaw."
Old 05-13-21, 08:34 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 269 Posts
I hear ya, man. I did martial arts for years, and back in January my son and I started doing Krav Maga. I feel like I'm punishing myself every time we go to the dojo. Gonna be 55 in July, and Krav is just too damn brutal for me. I already know how to handle myself in a self-defense situation (and I have had to before), and my son isn't really into it, so when our contract runs out in a couple of months, we're done. Yeah, between yard work, walking, and cycling, I get plenty of exercise.
Likes For johnnyace:
Old 05-13-21, 09:05 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
I should add that we seldom do overhead presses or anything else that doesn't directly benefit cycling. We also don't do deadlifts, the most physically taxing of all the lifts. Instead, we break it down into its components and do those separately. Less impact and less chance of injury. So like squats and single leg presses, then stiff-legged deadlifts. Those work what has to be worked. We go back and forth over whether half-squats or Olympic squats are better for cycling. All the studies say half, but those studies all involve young-uns. Olympic reduces the weight and increases knee life, but reduces the cycling specific effect. Or so they say.
Old 05-13-21, 10:17 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
I did weights, and boxed, for decades. At 61, after a few (some medically induced) injuries, I have to be careful, so I'm just doing a bunch of medicine ball work, just 10-12lb balls. I find it's enough. I'm lucky to be naturally skinny so it doesn't take too much for it to show. But otherwise, it's all bike. I ride almost every day, and I mix up my drop bar gravel rig with a flat bar singlespeed cross rig that I muscle up the mountains around here - lots of standing up and body english. Other than that I hike, chop wood, and when my wife makes me, carry sacks of mulch up our hillside....

Last edited by pbass; 05-16-21 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-13-21, 10:54 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
If you are on Medicare you might be able to join Silver Sneakers. Is there a gym close by?

When things open up, and if you can be a part of Silver Sneakers, it might not cost you anything to go to a gym.

Can you use machines? I know that might be sacrilegious for someone who has used free weights, but it might be an option. I’m not saying it will work, but it will take some stress off your body to be able to just sit down and move the weights without having to balance anything.

John
Old 05-14-21, 01:21 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
no way I could do any leg lifting and then ride

riding has my legs in the best shape they can be in (imo)

I much prefer (ed) upper body lifting years ago. When someone asked if we were going to ever do lower body we would say, no we can always wear long pants (this was before riding)
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 05-14-21, 01:50 PM
fettsvenska 

Bikes: 1978 Raleigh Competition-1974 Raleigh Folder-1983 Austro Daimler-198? Fuji Monterey-Surly LHT-Surly Karate Monkey-Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
What was your goal for weight lifting? Were your trying to get stronger? Build muscle? For me, I lift weights primarily because I just want to keep my male physique (such as it is) and to keep my muscles toned. I'm not trying to get stronger or to bulk up or anything like that. So I've adjusted my weight lifting routine to better meet my goals. Honestly, I've never really been a very strong person for my size and I never will be. I also have a white collar office job and so I have to consciously make an effort to do resistance activities. I know that there are some very strong people that only do body weight exercises (push ups, sit ups, pull ups, etc.). I try to do between 100 and 150 push ups and sit ups every day.
Old 05-14-21, 03:22 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I’m not 50+ yet, but I am already pretty well experienced in timing my work out to match my schedule. If I’m going on a big bike ride or going snowboarding on the weekend, I am definitely not doing leg day on Thursday or Friday. And my arms definitely recover faster than my legs. I could probably put arm day twice a week and leg day once and have it still work out all right.

At one point I was trying to have a pull day and a push day instead, that felt good the day of but made no sense otherwise
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 05-14-21, 06:39 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bike riding will be it for me. I enjoy the activity will be consistent with it and push the miles. Keep my legs in shape and that is good since they holds you up and enables you to move around lol. I got enough manual labor chores for upper body. Reading over the posts, all of your input has been great.
Old 05-14-21, 11:02 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Yeah, I've had to cut way back on my activities. In 2019 I could ride to my physical therapy sessions three times a week, then ride home, then be ready for a "real" bike ride, plus body weight exercises, calisthenics, etc.

But the past year, I have to pick one or the other. I don't have energy for multiple activities per day. And I'm taking more days off. And sleeping a lot longer.
Old 05-15-21, 09:37 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Legs are where it's at...

Keep cycling and scrap the weights if they're not doing you any good. Ive seen very few people whose arms are dysfunctional in old age, but hordes of people whose legs are their downfall. At 65, I can tell my legs are more in need of regular exercise than upper body. I think it's due to circulation being less efficient. I read a pre-med book that says that at age 60, all the bodies various systems are at about 60% of their peak capacity in the prime of life. And since they all work in concert, they can't make up for one another's weaknesses as they once could.

I plan to keep cycling until I can't even pedal an ebike. Then it's all over but the weeping.
Likes For Chuckles1:
Old 05-15-21, 11:25 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Not knocking weights training but for me I’m going to have to stop. I can’t recovery like I could when I was younger just a reality I have to except. I get too beat up on the weights and makes all other active activity miserable. My shoulders can’t press anymore after a session I’m just in pain for days. Squatting and deadlifting takes forever to recover ruining my passion for cycling. I love fishing and launching and loading my boat and throwing a bass rod all day is miserable after I beat myself up with weights . I have physical work to do to keep my place maintained and I end up loafing around because I’m trying to recover from weights. Now with my bikes I have no recovery issues at all. I can ride 30 miles then mow the grass and weed eat then chainsaw work with no issues of recovering. Then ride 30 miles the next day feeling good. I know endurance sports target the slow twitch muscles that recover quickly. I enjoy bike riding for the endorphins and the adventure of trying out new areas. Weights is a 1 hour torture session that leaves me debilitated for days lol. Probably going to sell off my weight collection from over the years to some kid training for football or a much younger athletic type so I can have more space for my home bike shop. Ok rant almost over and venting is making me feel better. I believe weight training is great and encourage anybody to train but for me personally it doesn’t do anything for me due to physical limitations. I will spare the details on that Going to focus on bike riding and hiking and I will get enough resistance training by physical work.
I have some advice for you...Limit your weight training to 1-2 times per week at most, and give yourself at least 4-5 days of recovery between workouts. Also avoid training to failure because training to failure is what will beat up your body and cause all kinds of pains and damage and take forever to recover from. Stop your sets at least 2-3 reps before you reach failure. Don't train like a competitive bodybuilder or a competitive powerlifter because you're not.. Do higher reps with lighter weight instead of annihilating your joints with heavy weight and low reps. There is no reason to give up weight training after 50, in fact it's very beneficial but you just need to train smart. Don't let your ego make you lift weights that your body can't handle. Train smart.
Old 05-15-21, 02:20 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
sell the weights and get a decent indoor rower - impact-free core, upper body & aerobic workout all at once. Bit of yoga for flexibility, combine this with riding and you’re all set 👍
Old 05-16-21, 04:38 AM
Machoman121

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I have some advice for you...Limit your weight training to 1-2 times per week at most, and give yourself at least 4-5 days of recovery between workouts. Also avoid training to failure because training to failure is what will beat up your body and cause all kinds of pains and damage and take forever to recover from. Stop your sets at least 2-3 reps before you reach failure. Don't train like a competitive bodybuilder or a competitive powerlifter because you're not.. Do higher reps with lighter weight instead of annihilating your joints with heavy weight and low reps. There is no reason to give up weight training after 50, in fact it's very beneficial but you just need to train smart. Don't let your ego make you lift weights that your body can't handle. Train smart.
Bingo ! Correct answer.
Avoiding weights is wrong - your bones are living tissues and they need the weights work to be strong. Cycling doesn't help bone strength. All of us here want to cycle forever but a simple crash or fall can be a life changer if your bones are not strong.

Avoid the 1PR or those stuff you see on youtubes - the ones where they squat as much as they can for 1 rep. They'll be making a chiro appointment or a back operation down the road. Lower weights but higher reps - anything you can do more than 10 reps should be safe.

I choose my muscle group to develop / strenghten. Legs - back - arms. Some shoulders too (just in case of that crash).

My only regret is that i've chosen 2 hobbies that are opposing - cycling 'burn's my muscle away and weight lifting makes me heavier for the cycling.

Weird findings - i've been lifting more recently - and while i feel beefier, more muscular i was quite surprised that my weight is still the same. I thought I would come out heavier. So you can look and feel bigger without actually gaining any weight !!
Old 05-16-21, 07:00 AM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
I tried all weight rep schemes I’m just shot. I hate stopping but there only so much fuel in this burro. The mileage over the years has taken its toll but I’m staying active on the bikes that isn’t going to stop anytime soon.
I hear you. I got hooked on body weight fitness (pull ups, push ups, l-sits,working towards levers) 7 yrs or so ago and made what I thought was some fantastic progress for my age for a few years then it was over. I never felt like I pushed myself that hard based on the forums I was following and how I felt early on. Then the joint pain set in fairly suddenly in a short period of time. No matter how much I backed off/rested it was just a short bit before joints were painful enough to seem foolish to continue. I walked away completely for a while, but nothing I've tried since can be done for very long either. I cycle through different programs throughout the year hardly doing anything during what I consider cycling season, then ramping it up a little more in the winter. I've tried dumb bells relatively light, kettlebells relatively light, considering machines this winter at my rec center. Tamer body weight programs. It's quite frustrating because I feel like my muscles have 10x the capacity of my connective tissues. My elbows medial and lateral are worst, but some shoulder issues as well, and within last couple of year hips. Maybe for some additional reference I just moved my daughter the last two days. No sweat. I had no trouble lifting, moving, crawling around stuff to disconnect, up, down, all around. Feel pretty decent today with just a little elbow soreness. However if I did 10 lb dumb bell curls a few times a week, for 8 weeks my elbows would be killing me. Same with dumb bell presses.
Old 05-16-21, 07:09 AM
Schwinneffect

Bikes: Invicta 3 speed

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Mitochondria

Mark Rippetoe recently published an article in which he advocates maintenance instead of training for some older people. We all get to a point where injury risk and lack of recovery make weight training a challenge.

A recent study regarding glutathione precursers glycine and nac is promising. The problem for older people is that the mitochondria don't make ATP as well, but we need ATP to lift heavy. This is not as much of an issue for cycling where we are burning glycogen primarily. If you try to rest for 7 minutes or more between heavy sets you lift with cold muscles and risk injury.

Supplementation with NAC and glycine was shown to improve grip strength in older men by making glutathione available to the mitochondria. I have not tried this yet. I have been reluctant to try testosterone replacement due to possible side effect risks.
Old 05-16-21, 09:03 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
I'm 76 and alternate resistance work (free weights and resistance bands) with cycling. Weather in Wyoming often limits riding so I focus on resistance on days too windy/cold/wet for a comfortable ride. I monitor my well being carefully and take rest/recovery days on a regular basis. Rest days may include yoga and stretching for flexibility.

I want to maintain bone density, muscle fitness, and balance. Weight lifting helps in all those areas.
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 05-16-21, 09:30 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,435 Times in 1,737 Posts
Originally Posted by Machoman121

My only regret is that i've chosen 2 hobbies that are opposing - cycling 'burn's my muscle away and weight lifting makes me heavier for the cycling.
Lift for strength, not for muscle bulk. Bigger weights (~80% of your 1-rep maximum), fewer reps (10 is good), more rest between sets.

Weird findings - i've been lifting more recently - and while i feel beefier, more muscular i was quite surprised that my weight is still the same.
Exchanging body fat for lean muscle. My weight stays the same as the season progresses, but my waistline shrinks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.